C-17 "Gear Up" Landing At Bagram

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:02 am

Another damaged C-17 at Bagram....

Quote:
C-17 damaged in gear-up landing at Bagram

Air Force Times
By Bruce Rolfsen - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Feb 2, 2009 15:49:40 EST

A C-17 Globemaster made a “gear up” landing at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan late Friday.

The crew got off the plane safely, but there was a small fire and extensive damage to plane’s underside, according to Air Force reports.

The plane, assigned to Charleston Air Force Base, S.C., was landing at Bagram around 10 p.m. when the accident occurred, reports said. The emergency resulted in the temporary closure of runway at the largest military airport in Afghanistan. Air operations resumed Saturday.

Accident and safety investigation boards are looking into what caused the accident.

Friday’s accident was the second bad C-17 landing in Afghanistan during the past two months.

There were no injuries Dec. 23 when a C-17 from Charleston rolled off the runway at Kandahar Airfield in southern Afghanistan while trying to land at 6:20 a.m.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/02/airforce_c17_crash_020209w/

zanl188

RE: C-17 "Gear Up" Landing At Bagram

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:31 am

Quoting TropicBird (Thread starter):
Another damaged C-17 at Bagram....

They keep this up and they'll lose a hull eventually... Keeps the Boeing & AFMC AOG people busy I guess...
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

bennett123

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:39 am

IMO they need to order some more before it is too late.

kc135topboom

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:50 am

Pilot - "Co, are you on the brakes, it is taking a lot of power to taxi?"

Co-Pilot - "No sir, the wheels are still up"

duck   duck   duck   duck   duck 

STT757

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:25 am

Why does this keep happening at Bagram and not in Iraq, is it the austere conditions of the infrastructure in Afghanistan vs Iraq?..
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

TropicBird
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:48 am

Here is a link to a picture of the aircraft on the runway. Note that you can download a bigger picture at the web-site:

http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?id=123133880

zanl188

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:33 am

Looks like the fire damage is not trivial...

edit: add pix

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jan Swiderski

'The Spirit of the Air Force". I wonder if they'll paint that out?

[Edited 2009-02-04 17:39:06]

Spacepope

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:40 am

Strange all of the plastic taped up around the rear of the left sponson. APU is there, right?
The last of the famous international playboys

Galaxy5007

Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:00 am

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 7):
APU is there, right?

Negative, its forward of the gear on the right side.

Looks like the damage is pretty bad, probably save the plane, re-skin the bottom, and move on to March. Charleston just gave 97-0043 to March (yes, a 9th C-17), since they are getting the newest ones out of the factory.

dragon6172

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:25 am

Post gear up landing checklist:

Engines--shutdown
Gear handle--place in down position
Copilot--agree to say nothing about position of handle
Evacuate aircraft
Phrogs Phorever

UH60FtRucker

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 am

Quoting Galaxy5007 (Reply 8):
Looks like the damage is pretty bad, probably save the plane, re-skin the bottom, and move on to March. Charleston just gave 97-0043 to March (yes, a 9th C-17), since they are getting the newest ones out of the factory.

Yeah it's bad looking. I was out there this morning, and although I didn't get to go right up to it, it clearly had hull damage, and some warping.

This is like the third one I've seen in the last few months. And I won't say that ALL C-17 pilots do it, but it seems like a good amount of them enjoy "flying hard" into a "combat zone." In other words they really man handle that aircraft, acting like they're flying into some raging war zone. When the truth of the matter is that we're out there every day flying search and destroy.

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 9):
Post gear up landing checklist:

Engines--shutdown
Copilot--agree to say nothing about position of handle
Evacuate aircraft

I'm sure you you were just joking around... but shit like that will get your wings taken away so fast, you won't know what hit you.

Balling up an aircraft is bad, but lying to cover your ass will be the nail in your coffin.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

dragon6172

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:31 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 10):
I'm sure you you were just joking around... but shit like that will get your wings taken away so fast, you won't know what hit you.

Balling up an aircraft is bad, but lying to cover your ass will be the nail in your coffin.

-UH60

Joking of course. Plus, C-17s probably have FDR/CVRs? Not sure on that though.
Phrogs Phorever

DODCFR

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:18 pm

I wonder how they put the fire out. I don't see a single CFR vehicle in the picture. Does anybody know what kind of ARFF equipment they have there?

Galaxy5007

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Yeah it's bad looking. I was out there this morning, and although I didn't get to go right up to it, it clearly had hull damage, and some warping

Warping isn't good, but as I said, if its not too bad, they should be able to repair it. After all, they fixed 01-0196, and that had all kinds of damage..just not on the entire underside of the aircraft, lol.

Venus6971

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:02 pm

-UH60

I've seen aircrews huddle after a incident to make sure they had their story straight but if the acft has a CVR it would be fatal to their careers to lie. I would give good odds on this that a checklist was "not" followed, seems alot of that is going around the USAF lately. Would be interesting to here crew coordination on this since most C-17 crews are augmented with 4 pilots in the flightdeck that nobody did not notice that the gear was not down. Also give odds the bitching Betty warning voice was silenced or turned off. Almost sounds like the same buffonary that went on with the last C-5 crash at Dover shutting down the wrong engine.

All accidents are 99.9% preventable.
Human factors of lack of experiance,training,and failure to follow proper procedure are usally the cause. Flight safety 101.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

Spacepope

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Quoting DODCFR (Reply 12):
I wonder how they put the fire out. I don't see a single CFR vehicle in the picture. Does anybody know what kind of ARFF equipment they have there?

Looking at the number of vehicles and open crates there, I'd expect that photograph was taken a good number of hours after the landing. The ARFF vehicles are probably back in their barn.
The last of the famous international playboys

dragon6172

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 15):
Looking at the number of vehicles and open crates there, I'd expect that photograph was taken a good number of hours after the landing. The ARFF vehicles are probably back in their barn.

I agree. The cart with all the hoses coming out of it in front of the left wing, I imagine that is some sort of regulator to provide air to bags or hyd fluid to a jacks to lift the aircraft evenly.
Phrogs Phorever

Galaxy5007

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:10 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 14):
. Almost sounds like the same buffonary that went on with the last C-5 crash at Dover shutting down the wrong engine

They didn't shut down the wrong engine, they used the wrong throttle after shutting down the right engine. They left the throttle of the operational engine at idle, and used the shut down engines throttle. Stupidity.

Tiger119

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:56 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 14):
crew coordination on this since most C-17 crews are augmented with 4 pilots in the flightdeck

- A total of four pilots or four additional pilots on the flight deck? The one C-17 that I have been on IIRC had two bunks and one jump seat.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

Venus6971

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 18):
- A total of four pilots or four additional pilots on the flight deck? The one C-17 that I have been on IIRC had two bunks and one jump seat.

There are four crew seats in the flight deck plus 2 bunks with a other 2 seats in the crew rest area.

Venus6971

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:29 pm

Quoting Galaxy5007 (Reply 17):
They didn't shut down the wrong engine, they used the wrong throttle after shutting down the right engine. They left the throttle of the operational engine at idle, and used the shut down engines throttle. Stupidity.

checkmark   checkmark 

ULMFlyer

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:23 am

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 9):

I guess they didn't follow the "post gear up landing checklist either"  Smile

More pics here:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...ng_BagramAFB_199804-1.html#gallery
or here:
http://cencio4.wordpress.com/2009/02...-gear-up-landing-in-bagram-images/
Short removal video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AupPd...yUpLanding_BagramAFB_199804-1.html

I apologize if these have been posted before, but I didn't see them.
Let's go Pens!

bubbajin

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like in these photos the gear lever is in the up position. . yikes. .

Quoting ULMFlyer (Reply 21):
More pics here:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...ng_BagramAFB_199804-1.html#gallery
or here:
http://cencio4.wordpress.com/2009/02...-gear-up-landing-in-bagram-images/
Short removal video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AupPd....html

Somebody is getting grounded!

Tiger119

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:24 am

Changing the subject slightly, but, I just watched a video clip (again) of a C-17 crew from SUU and it was said that their flight into Bagram would be a nighttime, war zone landing meaning no lights. So I can understand not having the bright, "head lights" on during final approach but what about the navigation lights (green light on starboard wing tip, red light on the port wing tip, red strobes on top of the fuselage and one on the bottom of the fuselage, etc)?

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

Galaxy5007

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 23):
So I can understand not having the bright, "head lights" on during final approach but what about the navigation lights (green light on starboard wing tip, red light on the port wing tip, red strobes on top of the fuselage and one on the bottom of the fuselage, etc)?

I'm not 100% sure with the 17s, but on the 5s, ALL lights are off during combat landings into "war zones".

zanl188

Mon May 11, 2009 8:51 pm

So are the C-17 guys getting careless or what?

5/8/2009 - SCOTT AIR FORCE BASE, Ill. (AFNS) -- Air Mobility Command here May 7 released the results of its investigation into the Jan. 30 mishap involving a C-17 Globemaster III that landed with retracted gear at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan.

The Accident Investigation Board, convened by AMC officials, concluded the primary cause of the mishap was the failure of the pilots to lower the landing gear and confirm proper aircraft landing configuration in accordance with the before landing checklist.

The AIB president also found that aircrew distractions, task saturation, reduced cockpit visual cues, failure of the flight crew to cross-monitor each other's performance, the tower's failure to transmit a required reminder, and the crew's inadvertent disabling of the ground proximity warning system alerts contributed to the mishap.

The mishap occurred as the C-17 was landing at Bagram Airfield during a combat airlift mission in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom and Joint Task Force Horn of Africa operations.

The aircraft landed on the runway centerline with the landing gear retracted and slid approximately 4,500 feet before coming to rest on the runway. Crash, fire and rescue response was immediate, and there were no fatalities, injuries or damage to other property. However, damage to the aircraft's main landing gear and fuselage underbelly was significant.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123148356

Article on the earlier accident at Kandahar
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123148357

Oroka

Tue May 12, 2009 12:49 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 25):
the primary cause of the mishap was the failure of the pilots to lower the landing gear and confirm proper aircraft landing configuration

Ouch! I guess a few people are now tracking towards flying a desk!

hercppmx

Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 am

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 23):
Changing the subject slightly, but, I just watched a video clip (again) of a C-17 crew from SUU and it was said that their flight into Bagram would be a nighttime, war zone landing meaning no lights. So I can understand not having the bright, "head lights" on during final approach but what about the navigation lights (green light on starboard wing tip, red light on the port wing tip, red strobes on top of the fuselage and one on the bottom of the fuselage, etc)?

David

All Lights would be turned off, the only lights that would be on, would be any IR (infra-red) lights if the aircraft had them equipped. IR lights are visible with NVG's or IR cameras, not to the bare eye.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

dragon6172

Tue May 12, 2009 3:13 pm

In a more perfect world... you would not be able to "inadvertantly" disable the GPWS.
Phrogs Phorever

bubbajin

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:02 am

In other words they really man handle that aircraft, acting like they're flying into some raging war zone. When the truth of the matter is that we're out there every day flying search and destroy.

A C-17 is a pretty big target and considering the current security situation, I don't blame them for performing combat landings. Additionally, I am pretty confident that combat landings are mandatory for USAF aircraft flying into a combat zone. Once the security situation improves, maybe then the C-17 crews won't have to "manhandle" their aircraft to get them on the ground. But the reality of the situation is that outside the wire, we don't have a grip on things yet. At the current moment, I wouldn't feel securedoing a nice, long instrument approach at any airfield in Afghanistan, especially in a heavy. . just my opinion.
Thanks for doing what you are doing though, stay safe brother.

kc135topboom

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Quoting BubbaJin (Reply 29):
A C-17 is a pretty big target and considering the current security situation, I don't blame them for performing combat landings. Additionally, I am pretty confident that combat landings are mandatory for USAF aircraft flying into a combat zone.

Correct.

Quoting BubbaJin (Reply 29):
Thanks for doing what you are doing though, stay safe brother.

checkmark