Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

TropicBird
Topic Author

DOD-IG Finds Gen. Moseley In Violation

Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 am

Report just came out and DOD-IG found former AF Chief of Staff violated the following:

1) Provided preferential treatment to contractor

2) Created appearance of improper disclosure of non-public information

3) Misused subordinates time and Government property

4) Solicited and accepted gifts from prohibited source

You may recall the DOD-IG originally let him off the hook for this Thunderbirds deal but Congress raised hell and asked for a new investigation. This is a result. The findings mention that one of the investigators was a close friend of Moseley but that had no bearing on the case. I think there is more to come as this Thunderbirds case is only a small part of his questionable management style. As has been mentioned before, Moseley was a strong proponent of the KC-767 and was possibly the cause (in part) of Boeing offering the 767 in the last go-around. The DOD-IG needs to look into that matter.

Link to the redacted report...

http://www.dodig.mil/fo/Foia/PDFs/H08L107249100_071009_Black.pdf

HaveBlue

RE: DOD-IG Finds Gen. Moseley In Violation

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:13 am

Very interesting read, thank you for sharing. I read the first 20 pages then skipped to the conclusions at the end.

kingairta

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Quoting TropicBird (Thread starter):
3) Misused subordinates time and Government property

Hmmm wonder if I could use that to my advantage?

kc135topboom

Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Quoting TropicBird (Thread starter):
I think there is more to come as this Thunderbirds case is only a small part of his questionable management style. As has been mentioned before, Moseley was a strong proponent of the KC-767 and was possibly the cause (in part) of Boeing offering the 767 in the last go-around. The DOD-IG needs to look into that matter.

It would appear that Gen. Moseley will, at a minimum loose his retirement, and at worst, spend some more time on the government dole, but wearing a different uniform. Perhaps he can be a "cellie" with Duke Cummingham?

JohnM

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:53 pm

I think nothing will happen to him. He might get a nasty gram, and he will still collect 4 star retirement.

Lumberton

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:55 pm

I'm not sure he'll collect 4 star retirement; maybe they'll invoke that old "did not satisfactorily complete the requirements of the grade" regulation (I'm sure the USAF has it too). My guess: 2 star retirement--IF this thing goes anywhere. Just because there's an investigation report really doesn't mean there will be anything resembling accountability.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

kc135topboom

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 5):
My guess: 2 star retirement

that is highly possible, too.

TropicBird
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:02 am

I think Moseley is not going to get off lightly. Read the letter from Sen. McCaskill which led to this new investigation.

McCaskill letter

http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/fil...cCaskill%20letter%20to%20Wynne.pdf

Article on new investigation

http://www.usatoday.com/news/militar...008-04-24-air-force-contract_N.htm

kc135topboom

Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:48 pm

As with all retired US Military Personel, including me, Retired Gen. Moseley is still subject to the UCMJ. If the IG investigation continues to reveil more information that he steered the Thunderbirds contract to his retired General Officer friends, he and they can be recalled to active duty and Courts Marshalled, or given disiplinary action under Artical 15 of the UCMJ.

But, to put this all into perspective, a $50M contract is really small change. Senator Clare McCaskill (D) Missouri knows this, and has wasted more of the tax payers money this week, than Gen. Moseley did through his career in the USAF.

This just shows what a hypocrite she is.

kc135topboom

Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Does anyone know if Gen. Moseley is being looked at for interference into the KC-X and CSAR-X programs, too? There have been rumors that he was the person who told Boeing the KC-767AT was the new tanker platform the USAF wanted. Thus assuring Boeing would compete the KC-767AT against the NG/EADS-NA A-330MRTT.

TropicBird
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 9):
Does anyone know if Gen. Moseley is being looked at for interference into the KC-X and CSAR-X programs, too? There have been rumors that he was the person who told Boeing the KC-767AT was the new tanker platform the USAF wanted. Thus assuring Boeing would compete the KC-767AT against the NG/EADS-NA A-330MRTT.

The DOD IG has been quiet about this question. They are supposed to be looking into it but what if it is proven to be true? Can you imagine the impact that would have on Boeing and the DOD.

According to previous statements including these below from Rep. Norm Dicks, the USAF told him early on they wanted a medium sized aircraft which could only mean the 767 & A330. From the videos below, he says it was Sec. Wynne and his assistant Ken Miller who told him. Gen. Moseley was the AF Cheif of Staff at that time and we know he wanted the 767 from as far back 2004 and thanks to the IG, we now know Moseley was not shy about misusing his office to get what he wanted. It deserves some attention. BTW...they delayed the KC-X again today.

http://vvi.onstreammedia.com/cgi-bin...boeing&user=pbs-newshour&tid=email

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmDl6HDFU8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZtRsbpYGXk

kc135topboom

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Quoting TropicBird (Reply 10):
The DOD IG has been quiet about this question. They are supposed to be looking into it but what if it is proven to be true? Can you imagine the impact that would have on Boeing and the DOD.

If it is proven true, it will vindicate the Boeing position and add weight to their claim they were mislead by the USAF into competing the KC-767AT against the A-330MRTT.

The impact to the USAF leadership would be enormous.

Lumberton

Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Quoting TropicBird (Reply 10):
Can you imagine the impact that would have on Boeing and the DOD.

Yes, it would appear that....

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 11):
If it is proven true, it will vindicate the Boeing position and add weight to their claim they were mislead by the USAF into competing the KC-767AT against the A-330MRTT.

checkmark 
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

TropicBird
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 11):

The impact to the USAF leadership would be enormous.

What is also important to understand is that Boeing's possible use of such non-public information to offer the 767 could be a violation of the the Procurement Integrity Act (see paragraph (b) below). It would also be a violation of their internal ethics policy and the Global Settlement Agreement with the DOJ. Now you can see why their may be a reluctance to go down this path.

Procurement Integrity Act

3.104-3 Statutory and related prohibitions, restrictions, and requirements.

a) Prohibition on disclosing procurement information (subsection 27(a) of the Act). (1) A person described in paragraph (a)(2) of this subsection must not, other than as provided by law, knowingly disclose contractor bid or proposal information or source selection information before the award of a Federal agency procurement contract to which the information relates. (See 3.104--4(a).)

(2) Paragraph (a)(1) of this subsection applies to any person who---

(i) Is a present or former official of the United States, or a person who is acting or has acted for or on behalf of, or who is advising or has advised the United States with respect to, a Federal agency procurement; and

(ii) By virtue of that office, employment, or relationship, has or had access to contractor bid or proposal information or source selection information.

(b) Prohibition on obtaining procurement information (subsection 27(b) of the Act). A person must not, other than as provided by law, knowingly obtain contractor bid or proposal information or source selection information before the award of a Federal agency procurement contract to which the information relates.

Link to the Act:

http://www.usdoj.gov/jmd/ethics/procurea.htm

Link to Boeing's ethics policy for marketing to the U.S. Government:

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/aboutus/ethics/pro5.pdf

kc135topboom

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Quoting TropicBird (Reply 13):
What is also important to understand is that Boeing's possible use of such non-public information to offer the 767 could be a violation of the the Procurement Integrity Act (see paragraph (b) below). It would also be a violation of their internal ethics policy and the Global Settlement Agreement with the DOJ. Now you can see why their may be a reluctance to go down this path.

That has been alleged to apply to both Boeing and NG. It has been said, though not proven, that NG received some Boeing propriitory information on the Boeing bid and KC-7676AT details. It has been said that some USAF members provided information to both bidders on the other's bid.

TropicBird
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:15 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 14):
That has been alleged to apply to both Boeing and NG. It has been said, though not proven, that NG received some Boeing propriitory information on the Boeing bid and KC-7676AT details. It has been said that some USAF members provided information to both bidders on the other's bid

Then they need to look into both. The U.S. Treasury could use some more money from the big fines they will pay and some people in prison to keep Madoff company.

kc135topboom

Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:02 am

Quoting TropicBird (Reply 15):
Then they need to look into both. The U.S. Treasury could use some more money from the big fines they will pay and some people in prison to keep Madoff company.

Actually, just look at the USAF people who MAY have done shared NG and Boeing info with the other bidder.

The Treasury really wouldn't make a lot of money, even if both bidders were fined $10M each. The military people would not be cellies of Bernie Madoff, as he is not in Ft. Levenworth.

TropicBird
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:47 pm

I was thinking of the corporations paying a fine. Last time Boeing paid over $600 million. I would suspect it would be much more the second time around.

kc135topboom

Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Quoting TropicBird (Reply 17):
I was thinking of the corporations paying a fine. Last time Boeing paid over $600 million. I would suspect it would be much more the second time around.

Even a $600M fine to both Boeing and NG/EADS-NA will be less than a drop in the bucket ($1.2B) for the US Government. Plus, if they fine, then eliminate both contractors, who could possibly build any new KC-X?

I doubt Congress would let Treasury go down this path, it would be politically embarrassing to supporters of NG/EADS and Boeing.

Gen. Moseley, OTOH, will be hung out to dry.