Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kc135topboom
Topic Author

Congress Wants 3 New C-37s For Themselves

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:43 am

Apparently the US house of representatives wants their own executive aircraft fleet. The USAF had one C-37 (G-550) in their 2010 budget request. The C-37A costs $65M, that is more than a C-40B/C (B-737-BBJ/-BBJ2). But the House Appropriations Committee, at its own initiative, added to the 2010 Defense appropriations bill another $132 million for two more airplanes and specified that they be assigned to the D.C. area units that carry Members of Congress. That brings the total cost of the 3 new C-37s to almost $200M.

Apparently they really were not so upset when executives from GM, Ford, and Chrysler flew corporate jets to meet with Congress last year.

http://www.rollcall.com/media/37552-1.html

I'll bet they have not thought about adding additional money to the USAF personnel funds to pay for the crews, mechanics, and support staff.

These guys are totally out of control.

ebj1248650

RE: Congress Wants 3 New C-37s For Themselves

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Thread starter):
I'll bet they have not thought about adding additional money to the USAF personnel funds to pay for the crews, mechanics, and support staff.

Congressman, discussing the new jets: "Crews? Maintenance? Fuel? Uh, yeah, I guess we should add some money for those things. Wonder how economical those things are? How many miles per gallon can you get with one of these jets? We should have colonels flying these things, right? I mean, after all, they're flying congressional people and all. And the maintainers should be Master Sergeants, at the least, right?"

O.K. I've had my jest for the day. Thanks for your indulgence!
Dare to dream; dream big!

par13del

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:37 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Thread starter):
Apparently they really were not so upset when executives from GM, Ford, and Chrysler flew corporate jets to meet with Congress last year.

My thoughts for what it is worth, this has nothing to do with business execs. travelling to Washington for hand outs, wait long enough from the real issue and we have a hard time putting one and two together.

How about going back a few months or or was it last year to the problems that the Speaker of The House had with the "lame transportation" that the US Air Force laid on for her trips back home, I remember making a couple comments in a thread about it. All those responses by the Air Force that they had adequate transportation and the comments by the Speaker and her staff that they never complained etc. etc. etc, well guess what, there will be three new a/c added to the fleet and you can be guranteed that the Speaker will always have one of these a/c at her disposal, I have no sources so stating that up front, but Air Force One works with two VC-25 and some other ancillary a/c, Captiol One only needs to work with three new a/c, figure the tax payors will save on this one.  Smile

kc135topboom
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:37 am

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 1):
We should have colonels flying these things, right? I mean, after all, they're flying congressional people and all. And the maintainers should be Master Sergeants, at the least, right?"

That will probibly be the next demand from the USAF.

First, Congress is not authorized their own fleet of airplanes. They can get USAF transport for their junkets, but, not for their normal air transportation. Members of Congress are not vital to running the country like the POTUS and VPOTUS are.

With this years deficit running well over $1.5T, what real airplanes for the USAF will be cut from the warfighters to pay for these jets?

dragon6172

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 am

Ah yes, the real reason the F-22 was cut. Have to pay for a fleet of Gulfstreams for congressional members. Those people really think highly of themselves.
Phrogs Phorever

kc135topboom
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:17 pm

It seems the one C-37A originally requested by the USAF was for the new Africia Command Commander. But with Congress wanting it, and basing it a ADW, along with the other two, is Congress now taking the commander's aircraft away?

dl767captain

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Pelosi is such a joke! I can't stand this woman, no GM you can't take your own jets to beg for money, but in the middle of a recession I think we need 3 jets for no real reason.

Galaxy5007

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:00 pm

These clowns can fly space A on USAF jets, or they can fly Southwest Airlines just like everyone else. Just about all military personnel have to fly commercial during a CONUS TDY or even a PCS...They don't get to load their belongings onto a C-17 and get moved! Congress certainly has some large mellons to ask for their own planes! Time to vote more morons out of office!

Devilfish

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:47 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 3):
With this years deficit running well over $1.5T, what real airplanes for the USAF will be cut from the warfighters to pay for these jets?

Well, they're retiring the Tweety Birds.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-its-last-t-37-tweet-trainers.html

Quote:
"The US Air Force has retired its last Cessna T-37 Tweet jet trainers, with seven of the aircraft having been flown from Sheppard AFB in Texas for the last time on 31 July.

Replaced by the new-generation Beechcraft T-6A Texan II turboprop, four of the USAF's final T-37s were flown to its Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage, with the other three allocated for use at the Utah Test and Training Range at Hill AFB."

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

Since both aircraft share the same model number (if not series), maybe the air force could pass those off to the Hill?  Wink
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

DeltaGuy

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 pm

There is some related back story to this. On the subject of earmarks, one Georgia senator made sure these Gulfstreams would be ordered, as Gulfstream Aerospace is in Georgia and the ordering of another G550 will benefit the economy down here.

Then again, earmarks are all over, hell, just look at Murtha. He needs to be tried like the crook he is.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

kc135topboom
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 9):
Well, they're retiring the Tweety Birds.....

The end of the era of the 6,000 lb dog whistle.   

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 9):
Since both aircraft share the same model number (if not series), maybe the air force could pass those off to the Hill?

Yeah, can you just see Pelosi limted to FL-250, in an unpressurized dog whistle, wearing a helmit and O2 mask?   

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 10):
There is some related back story to this. On the subject of earmarks, one Georgia senator made sure these Gulfstreams would be ordered, as Gulfstream Aerospace is in Georgia and the ordering of another G550 will benefit the economy down here.

Actually, it was two congressmen, on "D" and one "R" both from Georgia.

Now, Congress is not satisfied with 3 new build C-37As (G-550s). Now they want to increase that order to 5 C-37As and also buy 3 C-40B/Cs (B-737-BBJ/-BBJ2s).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124960404730212955.html

A new total of 8 new VIP jets for Congress (and possibly GROWING). No other national legslature in the world has their own assigned air transport fleet.

The new total cost is $550M, not including crews, maintenance, and support staff.

The faster we get rid of the clowns, the better off we will be.

[Edited 2009-08-07 06:36:54]

kingairta

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Bring on the new C-40s. The Navy needs to retire some of those old beat up C-9s.

As for new C-37s I say screw em. I need a new C-12. My current one is over 30 years old.

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:59 pm

So rather than purchase F-22s to safeguard America from threats with actual air forces and purchase more UAVs and CAS aircraft for our operations in Afghanistan, Congress feels that Gulfstreams will better protect America.

Sheer and utter hypocrisy.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

zanl188

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Quoting Galaxy5007 (Reply 7):
They don't get to load their belongings onto a C-17 and get moved!

What?? It happens quite often and I've done it with other members HHG & hold baggage shipments many, many times - junior enlisted to Gen officer.... perfectly legal & legit. Saves DoD a pretty penny too...

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
But with Congress wanting it, and basing it a ADW, along with the other two, is Congress now taking the commander's aircraft away?

The poor Sod will probably have to make do with one of the old, tired, and uncool G-IVs...  Smile
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

connies4ever

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:24 pm

When our Parliamentarians (both House of Commons and Senate) get 'let out of school' whenever Parliament adjourns, they travel regular commercial. Many times I've sat next to, or near, either 'regular' Members of Parliament or cabinet members. Once I was seated next to Reg Alcock, (Lib) who at the time was President of the Treasury Board (about the same as Geithner). Across the aisle was Rick Borotsky (Con) who was representing a nearby riding. The kibbitzing was terrific.

If a member of Congress is travelling on official government business for some reason, I can see using a government a/c, but if it's to return to their district, well sorry, Jack, sit with the plebes. It's a good way to get to know them.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Galaxy5007

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 14):
What?? It happens quite often and I've done it with other members HHG & hold baggage shipments many, many times - junior enlisted to Gen officer.... perfectly legal & legit. Saves DoD a pretty penny too...

I was referring to there furniture, household stuff...that does NOT happen...and if it does, it needs to be stopped. Space A is different than having a special "mission" for them to go where ever.

Andrews have several aircraft they could use in transporting people to places. There is no need for new/more aircraft. Especially right now. Jack Cafferty on CNN did a piece on this yesterday and put it right....they saw the GM/Chrysler execs come over, and got the brilliant idea that hmmmm...wouldn't that be nice! Bad CEOs...that should be US! Give them a C-130E to fly on, hahaha

Quoting Kingairta (Reply 12):
The Navy needs to retire some of those old beat up C-9s

I'm actually surprised they didn't retire them when they retired them from the USAF. Definately need to replace them sooner rather than later.

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 10):
earmarks are all over

Yes they are, and they will always be all over. No matter who we vote in and out, it always goes back to the same s!it different day method of business every time.

zanl188

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Quoting Galaxy5007 (Reply 16):
I was referring to there furniture, household stuff...that does NOT happen...and if it does, it needs to be stopped.

It happens quite regularly - yes furniture and HouseHold Goods, hold baggage, motorcycles, etc. And for everyone, E-1 to O-10. TMO & Aerial Ports use it to fill aircraft when there is not enough regular cargo. Why stop it? It saves the Air Force from paying for a half empty plane AND to ship somebodys stuff commercial.... Next time you PCS overseas ask your TMO counselor if you can ship your stuff TP-4......

ZANL
retired aerial porter
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

CTR

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 pm

"But military analysts said the private jets, despite the high price tag, may be worth the money because of the security and efficiency they provide to high-ranking public officials."

I am sure this is true. But hasn't Pelosi and her gang eve heard of NetJet?

http://www.netjets.com/NetJets_Fleet...ts_Fleet.asp#planeId=gulfstream550

Why buy when uou can lease?

Have fun,

CTR
Aircraft design is just one big compromise,,,

AirRyan

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 11):
The end of the era of the 6,000 lb dog whistle.

Except for that a dog whistle is outside of the range of most human hearing - the T-37 whine could be heard from miles away by all but the most tone deaf!

A new total of 8 new VIP jets for Congress (and possibly GROWING). No other national legslature in the world has their own assigned air transport fleet.

The new total cost is $550M, not including crews, maintenance, and support staff.

The faster we get rid of the clowns, the better off we will be.

For Congress?! Where are term limits and recall elections when the People want them?

The Navy needs to retire some of those old beat up C-9s.

I'm suprised Pelosi just doesn't ride around on her broomstick, maybe that messes up her 70 year old hair dew too much?

I need a new C-12. My current one is over 30 years old.

That King Air is just getting broke in!

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 15):
but if it's to return to their district, well sorry, Jack, sit with the plebes. It's a good way to get to know them.

Funny, because that's how most of the general public thought their representatives were traveling.

par13del

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:23 pm

What I want to know is where are all those folks including the media who raised living hell when the auto CEO's flew their private jets to DC for hand outs, including some members of Congress, are they all hypocrites? Now would be a good time for AIG and other companies to give out their bonuses, have conventions in Vegas, the Caribbean - preferable Bahamas selfish plug -, Orlando, stock options, vacation packages as well as asking for more stimulus money, who's gonna complain Congress or the White House?

Devilfish

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:52 am

Now, Congress is not satisfied with 3 new build C-37As (G-550s). Now they want to increase that order to 5 C-37As and also buy 3 C-40B/Cs (B-737-BBJ/-BBJ2s).

They can easily rationalize that as their economic stimulus package for the aviation industry. spin  Look at the bright side --- more unique birds to watch. bigthumbsup 

Bring on the new C-40s. The Navy needs to retire some of those old beat up C-9s. As for new C-37s I say screw em. I need a new C-12. My current one is over 30 years old.

Bring it in! There might be a counterpart aviation "Cash for Clunkers" program, that funds for the auto industry quickly ran out. biggrin 

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 17):
It happens quite regularly - yes furniture and HouseHold Goods, hold baggage, motorcycles, etc. And for everyone

They would need the BBJ-C for those - with its big, side cargo door. idea 

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-bbj-convertible-is-available.html

Quoting Par13del (Reply 20):
What I want to know is where are all those folks including the media who raised living hell when the auto CEO's flew their private jets to DC for hand outs

The media are probably positioning themselves to get seats on the inaugural G550 and BBJ2 flights. As for raising hell, CEOs are known to be very discriminating on who they invite for a ride.  Wink
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

kc135topboom
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Bring on the new C-40s. The Navy needs to retire some of those old beat up C-9s.

But the USN buys the C-40A, not the same jet as the USAF C-40B/C

'let out of school' whenever Parliament adjourns, they travel regular commercial.

That's the problem, we should never let them out of school.

sit with the plebes

So they can see how the peasents live............  ashamed 

Quoting CTR (Reply 18):
"But military analysts said the private jets, despite the high price tag, may be worth the money because of the security and efficiency they provide to high-ranking public officials."

This has been a paid poilitical advertisment.

duck   duck   duck 

How in the world can anyone used the words "efficiency" and "public officials" in the same sentince?  eyepopping 

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 19):
I'm suprised Pelosi just doesn't ride around on her broomstick

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

BTW, don't throw water on her, or she'll be ......  melting 

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 21):
They can easily rationalize that as their economic stimulus package for the aviation industry.

Yeah, both Boeing and Gulfstream are really stuggling these days, aren't they?  sarcastic 

CTR

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 22):
Quoting CTR (Reply 18):

This was not my quote, but a quote out of the "RollCall.Com" article from the first post.

[quote=KC135TopBoom,reply=22]Yeah, both Boeing and Gulfstream are really stuggling these days, aren't they?

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. You don't need to read the WSJ to know that 'yes', both these companies are hurting.

Have fun,

CTR

kc135topboom
Topic Author

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Quoting CTR (Reply 23):
Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 22):
Quoting CTR (Reply 18):

This was not my quote, but a quote out of the "RollCall.Com" article from the first post.

[quote=KC135TopBoom,reply=22]Yeah, both Boeing and Gulfstream are really stuggling these days, aren't they?

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. You don't need to read the WSJ to know that 'yes', both these companies are hurting.

I was being sarcastic. Both Boeing and Gulfstream have sizable back logs. Neither company has gotten very many new orders lately.

Boeing has 86 new net orders for the B-737NG, bring the total B-737NG backlog to 2140.

http://active.boeing.com/commercial/...pageid=m25066&RequestTimeout=20000

http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm

Gulfsteam has already delivered 182 G-550s, and has a back order of about 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulfstream_G550#Operators

CTR

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 24):
I was being sarcastic. Both Boeing and Gulfstream have sizable back logs. Neither company has gotten very many new orders lately.

These reported backlog numbers are deceiving. Yes, these aircraft are on the books as firm orders with deposits. But when many of these buyers are asked if they would like to have their aircraft delivered early, since buyers with orders in front of them have canceled, their answer is that they prefer to wait.

Financing is still very tight for most companies. Canceling an order means losing a hefty deposit. So most of these buyers are just waiting and hoping they can get financing before they lose their deposits.

Take care,

CTR

Venus6971

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:30 am

I remember back in my day that when we took on 2 used and I meen used Boeing 707-300's that were mx headaches and 3 new G-3's that replaced the C-140's. Where is The Washington Posts Jack Anderson when we need him, he had a hard on for Pol's who abused their position by using 89th Acft at ADW for nothing but a flying party. I remember when the staffers would be on the flightline to see what acft were on the ramp before they would call for a trip and request a certian tail number because of the configuration.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

SEPilot

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:58 pm

From what I have heard, the only domestic use of AF aircraft by members of Congress is for the Speaker, which since she is 3rd in line for the Presidency is justified. The fleet that is being requested, then, would be strictly for foreign trips; I guess since Obama has been so hard on "junkets to Vegas" they will be more frequent now. But the bottom line, I guess, is that Mark Twain had it right; there is no distinctly criminal class in America except Congress.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

wingman

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:08 pm

I read an article today claiming that usage of this fleet by members of Congress is just under 15%, use by military officials is closer to 50%. Does anyone know the actual figures?

Knid

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Quoting Wingman (Reply 27):
I read an article today claiming that usage of this fleet by members of Congress is just under 15%, use by military officials is closer to 50%. Does anyone know the actual figures?

What is the other 35%? Training?

stasisLAX

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:45 am

Congress has dropped their plans to purchase new airplanes for Congressional use:

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32366094/ns/politics/

I can't wait to read how the Congress spins this to show they are being fiscally responsible. Being fiscally responsible would have been not even proposing the planes in the first damn place.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Flighty

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 am

Quoting Knid (Reply 28):

The executive branch of the US government includes a lot of other departments besides the military. So, this fleet is apparently for them too. (President's staff, perhaps the FBI, DOJ, State Department).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cabinet

SEPilot

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 am

Quoting Knid (Reply 28):

That's the "off the record" stuff (the junkets that they don't want to tell you about.)  duck 
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

Revelation

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:13 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 29):
I can't wait to read how the Congress spins this to show they are being fiscally responsible.

It's in the article you linked:

Quote:
Murtha said the newer jets were needed to replace older aircraft with safety and maintenance issues that cost a lot more to operate.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Venus6971

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 32):
Quote:
Murtha said the newer jets were needed to replace older aircraft with safety and maintenance issues that cost a lot more to operate.

Where was he in the 80's when we were still flying 1962 model C-135B's and 1958 model C-137B's and a 1962 model C-137C.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

CTR

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 pm

The Fat Lady has Sung...

Murtha Says VIP Jets Will Be Cut From $636.3 Billion Measure

Aug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. House leaders say they will drop plans to purchase four more VIP jets than were requested by the Department of Defense to transport government officials on foreign trips.

Representative John Murtha, the Pennsylvania Democrat who leads the House defense appropriations subcommittee, said he would cut the additional aircraft from legislation that would provide $636.3 billion for the U.S. military in fiscal 2010.

“If the Department of Defense does not want these aircraft, they will be eliminated from the bill,” Murtha said in a statement issued yesterday.

Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, said today in an e-mail that “the speaker supports Chairman Murtha’s decision.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aUAmCOnTg.SU

Have fun,

CTR

AirRyan

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:31 am

Quoting CTR (Reply 34):
Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, said today in an e-mail that “the speaker supports Chairman Murtha’s decision.”

So why then did she allow her Congress to double the request of the DOD in the first place? The damage is done - she get's off too damned easy as it is; accuse the CIA of felony criminal offenses and refuses to substantiate or repeal her accusations, calls ordinary US citizens "Nazis" for simply speaking out against her health care plan, etc. I'm so glad the media is 80% slanted in one direction in this country.

kc135topboom
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Quoting CTR (Reply 34):
Aug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. House leaders say they will drop plans to purchase four more VIP jets than were requested by the Department of Defense to transport government officials on foreign trips.

Nice spin, Murtha, The DOD never did request these four additional jets, You did.........  banghead 

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 35):
Quoting CTR (Reply 34):

So why then did she allow her Congress to double the request of the DOD in the first place? The damage is done - she get's off too damned easy as it is; accuse the CIA of felony criminal offenses and refuses to substantiate or repeal her accusations, calls ordinary US citizens "Nazis" for simply speaking out against her health care plan, etc. I'm so glad the media is 80% slanted in one direction in this country.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

TropicBird

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 35):

With all due respect these kind of personal political statements belong elsewhere. It is my understanding that a few Congressman from Georgia (both Republican & Democrat) asked Murtha to increase the buy. One other thing that typically happens is that the USAF (the Generals) ask the Congress to include items that the Pentagon does not want.

Excerpt from the WSJ...

Quote:
The origins of the big order stretch back to early April. Lawmakers from Georgia asked Congress to increase the number of passenger jets to include an additional Gulfstream plane. Their reasoning: The Gulfstream V has "transcontinental range, exceptional performance capabilities" and would best support the Air Force, said Democratic Rep. John Barrow, in a statement requesting the extra funds.

The Gulfstream planes also are built in Mr. Barrow's district at a Savannah, Ga., plant that employs about 5,000 people.

Georgia Democratic Rep. Sanford Bishop posted a similar statement on his Web site, to satisfy a new House rule governing disclosure of earmarks. A third Georgia lawmaker, Republican Rep. Jack Kingston, didn't ask for additional funds, but posted a statement on his Web site touting the funds. "Gulfstream brought the project to us," said Chris Crawford, a spokesman for Mr. Kingston.

Link to Story: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125003556594924265.html

[Edited 2009-08-13 10:12:58]

[Edited 2009-08-13 10:13:46]

stasisLAX

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting TropicBird (Reply 37):
A third Georgia lawmaker, Republican Rep. Jack Kingston, didn't ask for additional funds, but posted a statement on his Web site touting the funds. "Gulfstream brought the project to us," said Chris Crawford, a spokesman for Mr. Kingston.

And how much money has Gulfstream contributed to Rep. Kingston's re-election campaign? Follow the money, people - follow the damn money.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin