Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Galaxy5007
Topic Author

RE: C-5A Galaxy Retirement Chances Going Up Fast

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Quoting Cargotanker (Reply 47):

I've heard rumors that it is as bad or worse, but nothing confirmed. There used to be a few locations where an AN-124 was in perpetual 'broke, awaiting repairs' status for months on end. I saw one in Gander in the late 90s that was there for months and I think Dallas Love had one for awhile, too. I've also heard that their 'crane' inside the cargo hold is notoriously unreliable, and that they (Volga?) want to switch to rollers and rails like 'normal' cargo planes.

I remember hearing it was a POS a decade ago....probably because spare parts weren't funded. The AN-225 was built using alot of the same parts the AN-124 has, and you see that thing doesn't fly but a dozen times a year.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 45):
Running 10+ hour per day utilization really knocks the cobwebs out of an aircraft

I can vouch that when the C-5 stays in the air, the better its reliability rate is. Once it lands for scheduled maintenance, it breaks hard, then it takes forever to get it back up to that great running condition.

Quoting A342 (Reply 46):
FBW system should be easier to maintain than the C-5's hydraulic/mechanical flight control system.

I agree completely; the rigging of everything takes a long time. EVERYTHING on the C-5 is mechanical, linkages are what make the C-5 work. The C-5M is the only C-5 with an electronic control system, and its isolated to the engines only. I'm sure it would be massively expensive to upgrade it to a FWB system, so thats probably why it hasn't been proposed before.

Galaxy5007
Topic Author

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:45 am

Another base transfer occurred sometime within the last couple of weeks...I can't post the jet (directly) that went to Wright-Patterson, but its not on my list. In fact, one on my list transferred to Lackland; 9005. So I can assume that 9005 is safe. So, currently Lackland has 8214, 8219, 8220, 8221, 8223, 9002, 9005, 9006, 9007, 9014, 9016, 9026, 0445, 0446, 0456, and 0466. You should be able to figure out the jet that got transferred by that and some photo searching.

Galaxy5007
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 am

I figured I would bring this back to the top of the thread again since the C-17/C-5 delima has started the retirement rumors up again. The AMC commander has made stops at all the C-5 bases recently, so I'm sure he and his team were looking into his options.

mossfan15

Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 pm

Im actually a flying crew chief at Martinsburg and the few Martinsburg jets you listed are actually a few of our BEST flyers. If I had to pick a couple bad one we had they would be 68-217, 69-011 and there honestly not that bad of aircraft.
SRA Michael Mays, USAF

Galaxy5007
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Quoting Mossfan15 (Reply 53):
Im actually a flying crew chief at Martinsburg and the few Martinsburg jets you listed are actually a few of our BEST flyers. If I had to pick a couple bad one we had they would be 68-217, 69-011 and there honestly not that bad of aircraft.

Nice to meet someone actually out of Martinsburg to give feedback. Please keep in mind, my listing was based on 2006 data. 9011 used to be an excellent jet. 8217 has been used and abused for years at Altus, and its taking forever for it to "recover".

70-0460 is @ Dover getting AMP modified,so that jet is more than likely off the death list now. 9005 transferred to Lackland, but they haven't put it into AMP yet, so I don't want to take it off the list yet. If I had up to date data, I'd probably have a list up to date, but at the same time, some jets also have "good" stints and then go back to being hanger queens for months on end.

I wish they'd get rid of 8216, that jet is a total piece of junk. From what I've heard, they couldn't pressurize the plane, and they are re-skinning the whole top, front of the aircraft because of all the cracks in the skin. Waste of time and money to try and keep that thing going.

CALTECH

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:16 pm

Quoting Galaxy5007 (Reply 44):
In contrast, I haven't heard much of anything about the AN-124. I'm sure the Russian AF wasn't as strict on maintenance as the USAF either.

A while back a AN-124 was here in Orlando getting ready to go. As usual for Russian planes, the tires were bald and worn , but then again it wasn't driving there, but flying. But the biggest "Oh", was the fact that the Pilot's windshield seemed to be completely covered in cracks. It took off less than an hour later in the dark.
You are here.

TropicBird

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Here is the latest from 'Inside Defense' (subscription site). USAF plans to retire (17) C-5A's in FY 11.

Air Force Proposes 17 C-5A Retirements In FY-11, Will Replace With C-17s
The Air Force has advanced a plan to retire some of its oldest C-5 Galaxy strategic airlifters, replacing the behemoth cargo haulers with smaller and newer C-17 Globemaster IIIs, according to justification documents accompanying the services fiscal year 2011 budget request.