Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

connies4ever
Topic Author

Canadian To Command ISS

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Astronaut Chris Hadfield of the Canadian Space Agency has been named to command ISS on his December 2012 mission, to be launched from Baykonur, Kazakhstan. He is the 1st non-American, non-Russian to be designated as ISS commander.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...0/09/02/astronaut-mission-csa.html

Hadfield is also the only non-American who was qualified as a Space Shuttle pilot, for his 2nd mission on STS-100 in 2001. He did not in fact fly the shuttle, but was available in case either Kent Rominger or Jeff Ashby were for some reason incapacitated.

Hadfield has had a golden career in aviation and space. He is the recipient of numerous awards and special honors. These include the 1988 Liethen-Tittle Award (top pilot graduate of the USAF Test Pilot School) and U.S. Navy Test Pilot of the Year (1991). He received an honorary Doctorate of Engineering from the Royal Military College (1996). Hadfield is a member of the Order of Ontario (1996). He also received an honorary Doctorate of Laws from Trent University (1999). He has also received the Vanier Award (2001), Meritorious Service Cross (2001), NASA Exceptional Service Medal (2002) and the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal (2003). He was inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame (2005) and Commemorated on Royal Canadian Mint silver and gold coins for his spacewalk to install Canadarm2 on the International Space Station (2006).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Arniepie

RE: Canadian To Command ISS

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:52 am

Quoting connies4ever (Thread starter):
He is the 1st non-American, non-Russian to be designated as ISS commander.

The first non American and Non Russian ISS commander was Frank de Winne , a Belgian astronaut who was commandant of ISS in 2009.
[edit post]

connies4ever
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:03 am

Quoting arniepie (Reply 1):
The first non American and Non Russian ISS commander was Frank de Winne , a Belgian astronaut who was commandant of ISS in 2009.

Achhh ! You are very right. my bad. I guess I was so proud that Hadfield had been nominated as commander my memory cells (those that survive) shut down. De Winne was indeed ISS commander.

But still, #2 is not so bad.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lnglive1011yyz

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 2):
I guess I was so proud

Hey, nothing wrong with being proud of a fellow distinguished countryman being #2 too  

I'm very proud of this as well, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer gentleman.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Oroka

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:53 pm

I have met Colonel Hadfield a few times over the years. Nice guy, very friendly.