Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ac788
Topic Author

Student, MPs Ask Government To Keep VIP Plane Grey

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 am

Interesting article regarding debate over the Prime Minister of Canada's request to repaint the CF's A310 (CC-150) in red and white:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/can...keep-vip-plane-grey-116193949.html

Here's a link to an image of the current CC-150 livery. IMHO it looks great as is!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Canad...d=e235ec53b966cfaa10da2b23eb669e1a

Oroka

RE: Student, MPs Ask Government To Keep VIP Plane Grey

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

I have always loved the CC-150s livery. Military, but a touch of class. I was hoping they were going to put the bolt and roundel on the CC-177.

What were they planning on painting the CC-150s? This wouldn't be applied to the CC-150T?

Harper just wants his own airforce 1, maybe he should get one in all honesty. The spending increases he has pushed through for the CAF has been a godsend for our troops.

kalvado

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:48 am

Quote:
Ally Dunlop, a 14-year-old student at Hillfield Strathallan College in Hamilton, warns that the red colour — found on many civilian passenger jets — could result in more bird strikes. Dunlop's recent science-fair experiment demonstrated that ducks, Canada geese and other wild birds are attracted to the colour red.

I was under impression that birdstrikes happen not because birds are attracted to plane, but because plane is way too fast for the bird to get out of the way.. And because engines attract birds and other FOD regardless of any color..

hercppmx

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:57 am

It's a beautiful aircraft, why would you change the color at all?

Quoting kalvado (Reply 2):
I was under impression that birdstrikes happen not because birds are attracted to plane, but because plane is way too fast for the bird to get out of the way

That was pretty much my thinking as well.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

skysurfer

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Painting it red and white is a great way to say to some unscrupulous person, 'Someone important could be on this jet, fire away'. If it does get painted I hope it won't be flown into a war/conflict zone...that's just asking for trouble IMHO. Leave the A310 in mil colours and spend taxpayers money on something more worthwhile.....if he really wants his own 'Air Force 1' then maybe a shiny new DHC8-400 would suit his needs!   

Quoting Oroka (Reply 1):
The spending increases he has pushed through for the CAF has been a godsend for our troops.

Cheers

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

ac788
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Quoting kalvado (Reply 2):
I was under impression that birdstrikes happen not because birds are attracted to plane, but because plane is way too fast for the bird to get out of the way.. And because engines attract birds and other FOD regardless of any color..

Keep in mind the source of this 'research'   

Quoting skysurfer (Reply 4):
Painting it red and white is a great way to say to some unscrupulous person, 'Someone important could be on this jet, fire away'.

kc135topboom

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm

I don't see this as a big deal. All airplanes need repainting on a regular schedule, anyway. Changing the color of one CC-150 will not add that much to the repainting costs.

The POTUS (both Bush and Obama) have flown the VC-25 into combat areas in Iraq and Afghanistan, and manged to do so with attracting enemy action. There isn't any airplane in the world that is more recongnised than the VC-25 AF-1. Yes, these visits were not pre-announced and arrived at night (which the Canadian PM will also do). Also commerical aircraft fly into these areas, mostly as chartered flights. This will look more like just another commerical aircraft.

When Canada flew the CC-137s (B-707-320Cs used both as tankers and transports), it was always all white and red, and never painted in camoflage or subdued colors. They often flew into South Vietnam during that war.

I am sorry to disagree with that little girl in Canada. Her reaearch into red attracting birds may be something and it may be nothing. She experimented with different colored bowls and the birds mostly went to the red one. Was that because of its placement in relation to where the birds were? The US A-320 Hudson River Boat had very little, if any red paint on it. The USAF E-3B that crashed in Alaska in 1995 due to bird strikes also had very little, or no red paint on it.

skysurfer

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

KC135TopBoom,

Whilst i agree with what you are saying in general, i just do not see the need to change the status quo, ie the Canadian military. Why now do we all of a sudden need a definitive aircraft c/s to show it's a Canadian state aircraft!? What is wrong with the way things are? I realize that national pride goes a long way, but why now? Harper is still the PM, and to be extremely honest seeing a red n white plane wouldn't do anything for me at all.....seeing a grey A310 or whathaveyou flying over (or being on the deck) in mil colours means a lot more to me than a 'look at me' jet could ever do. We really don't need it as things are good the way there are, and if i may make such a bold statement i'll add that the only time a Canadian 'minister' has ever been truly effective on the world stage was Pearson during the Egyptian Suez crisis, No Fancy colours needed there.

I wait to be flamed from left, right and centre for my remarks   

Cheers

Stu

Ps.....In no way was this aimed soley at TopBoom, it was just a slight reply to his post before heading in another direction.
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

ac788
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 6):

I don't see this as a big deal. All airplanes need repainting on a regular schedule, anyway. Changing the color of one CC-150 will not add that much to the repainting costs.

I don't think cost is the main issue here. I believe the point the MPs are trying to make is that this is a personal (arguably egotistical) request of the PM that is entirely unnecessary.

Quoting skysurfer (Reply 7):
We really don't need it as things are good the way there are...

Oroka

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:42 pm

So, if I wear a big red coat in a field, birds will flock to me? I may have just invented the easiest hunting method ever!

BlueSky1976

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:33 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 6):
The POTUS (both Bush and Obama) have flown the VC-25 into combat areas in Iraq and Afghanistan,

I was under impression that they switched from VC-25 to C-17 to get into the "hot zone". Not sure about Obama, but I'm certain Bush did it for his few unannounced gigs in Afghanistan and Iraq during his presidency.

[Edited 2011-02-17 22:34:37]

[Edited 2011-02-17 22:35:10]
The queen of the skies is dead.

kanban

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Quoting Oroka (Reply 9):
So, if I wear a big red coat in a field, birds will flock to me?

sure helped the British during the Revolution....

Suggestion leave the plane grey and put a bus type destination sign over the forward doors with a scrolling message... "Minister on-board", "nobody important on board", "empty returning to base" ...