Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10bhx
Topic Author

Riat -2011

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Is anyone else going to RIAT - 2011?

I will be there on the Saturday (with my boss and his partner) and was wondering if any other A-Nutters are attending.

If you are going, what is your main interest? Obviously there are several different types of aircraft that have been withdrawn due to operational reasons, and there were certain other types that were never scheduled to appear.

My main interest is the A330 mrtt to see what capabilities it will have for the RAF. It will also be intersting to see the
A-10 doing a display. The last time I saw one of these flying was about 20 years ago flying off the Kent coast.

I look forward to hearing from any one who is going.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

jwenting

RE: Riat -2011

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:13 am

last was there 2 years ago. It was so much of a carnaval with relatively little aviation going on I decided to not waste the money on airfare and entry tickets again.
And that goes for the friends I went with too (who saved me the hotel and rental car cost as I could sleep at their place   ).
I wish I were flying

scbriml

Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 am

Quoting jwenting (Reply 1):
It was so much of a carnaval with relatively little aviation going on

A large static display and an 8-hour flying display is "little aviation going on"?  Wow!

What are you expecting from an air show?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

GST

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I'll be there on Saturday with some friends, probably lurking in the BAE enclosure for the display. I'm really looking forward to the war loaded Typhoon demo, I'm hearing glowing reports of its practice sorties at Warton.

jwenting

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
What are you expecting from an air show?

I'm expecting a view unobstructed by slotmachines, carnaval rides, constant flows of doubledecker busses shuttling people along the flightline, brass bands setting up shop in front of the aircraft on display, tents selling cheap plastic toys, etc. etc..

That's what I expect, and that's what I've seen at pretty much any airshow until RIAT started deteriorating a few years ago.
Hopefully the RNthAF open house in september will feature more than is currently listed on their website, else it may be the end of the line for airshows for me.
I wish I were flying

scbriml

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 am

Quoting jwenting (Reply 4):

Regardless of the non-aviation aspects, there's still more "aviation going on" at RIAT than just about any other air show I've ever seen.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

MasterBean

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 pm

I was going to get a free ticket of a friend but she ended up being a noob and wanted various favours and money so I'll probably cycle over and watch from gate 13 (or is it 12?) on Saturday and possibly Sunday. Might go over tomorrow and the following days just to see what's occurring. It's only a 25 minute cycle ride from my house.

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:06 pm

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 6):
I was going to get a free ticket of a friend but she ended up being a noob and wanted various favours

Favours for a friend for a RIAT ticket. You need to ask how much you want that ticket mate. There isnt much I wouldnt do for or to someone for a RIAT ticket   But that's me.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

MasterBean

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Favours like a taxi service to Swindon for a night out, £20. I went over today and have decided the A10 thunderbolt thing is the best plane ever and its display is awesome. Oh and saw an Antonov 124 do some fly pasts and then land at Brize Norton. Gate 14A is the place to be.

EZYAirbus

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 pm

I shall be there early doors on saturday, weather looks to be improving all the time!
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

MasterBean

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:26 am

The weather's shite and doesn't look to be any better tomorrow. I suppose I'll just get wet then.

Speedbird555

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:21 pm

I have a spare complimentary ticket for Sunday if any a.netter want's it. No strings attached! All you'll have to do is meet me at wherever the bus drops people off who've travelled from Swindon train station. Not sure about the weather & how much flying there will be on Sunday though.   

skinny

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:27 am

I went to the show yesterday it was a damp joke and badly organised,in my opinion the show is more like a circus with the live bands car displays etc etc the actual display i saw at cosford this year was ten time better at half the price ,i know the weather played a large part but i feel ripped off.

We payed the best part of £40 for the flight deck enlcosure what a rip off !! bad food overcrowded and very expensive drinks with no better views of the show than anyone else.

The static displays were ok nothing special i say once you have been to one airshow in the uk you have seen them all.

Biggest airshow in the world give me a break more like biggest rip off.

[Edited 2011-07-17 04:49:58]

metalinyoni

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Quoting skinny (Reply 12):
We payed the best part of £40 for the flight deck enlcosure what a rip off !! bad food overcrowded and very expensive drinks with no better views of the show than anyone else.

The static displays were ok nothing special i say once you have been to one airshow in the uk you have seen them all.

Biggest airshow in the world give me a break more like biggest rip off.

I agree - I got my ticket for the Aviation Club as a gift and I feel ripped off. Wont be going back any time soon. The actual flying display wasn't great - how many display teams do you actually need to watch - the Red arrows, The Italian version, the Breitling Jets and would have been the Saudi Arabian version as well if they hadn't been rained off. Less is sometimes more.

Will definitely look at the flying program before buying a ticket in future as I believe this years flying display wasn't as good as last years.
300, 310, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 342, 343, 345, 346, 380, 707, 727, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 742, 74L, 743, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 772, 77L 773, 77W, D10, AT46, AT76, AT75, 142, DH3, ER4, AR1, AR8

MasterBean

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Well I enjoyed both days but for people who payed to go in I understand their dissapointment. Could've probably done with the F22 or A400M but these things cost lots of money and that doesn't grow in trees. If anybody dorsn't want to spend £40 next year think about parking in the town of Cricklade and cycling over. It takes 30 minutes and you are right under the display. So this is a random post but my favourite aircraft was the A10 Thunderbolt.

derekf

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 am

I went Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it- yes it's expensive but the ticket prices are well known as are the participants in the flying display. I've been going to Air Tattoos since 1983 and this was one of the better ones.
Whatever.......

dc10bhx
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Well I survived the downpour that happened on Saturday Morning, enjoyed the sunshine on Saturday Afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the flying displays. Even though about 20% of the displays were cancelled due to the delay caused by the weather it was still an enjoyable event.

The static line did not have too many big surprises (and even though the Organisers encourage questions to be asked from the Aircrews it was surprising how many of the crews were totally absent).

Whilst I agree with some of the comments above (bands / car displays / fairgrounds etc) some of these types of entertainment allow families to come to the event knowing that little Janet / John will have something to be occupied with and not get too bored walking down the static line or watching the flying displays. I take the principle that not everyone is as interested in Aircraft as I am and if this type of entertainment helps the younger generation take an interest in aviation then so be it.

With regards to the pricing of the tickets, while yes it is more expensive than other airshows, when you consider what organisation goes into the show, I feel the pricing is about right. I am reasonable lucky in that I work at an Airport here in the UK which does see an element of both RAF and foreign military aircraft going through on a regular basis, but that does not mean that I do not wish to get up close and personal with this type of kit. I think we should count ourselves lucky that the Air Tattoo has been going for as long as it has been (and long may it continue).

As an aside did anyone find out why the A10C had to cancel his display on the Saturday?

mffoda

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Quoting dc10bhx (Reply 16):
As an aside did anyone find out why the A10C had to cancel his display on the Saturday?

Lack of enemy targets?? 
harder than woodpecker lips...

scbriml

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I went to the show yesterday it was a damp joke and badly organised,in my opinion the show is more like a circus with the live bands car displays etc etc the actual display i saw at cosford this year was ten time better at half the price ,i know the weather played a large part but i feel ripped off.

The problem is, if you don't have stuff like that there, the attendance would probably be 20% of what it is and prices will be correspondingly higher. I've not been to a public air show that doesn't have all that "extra curricular" activity.

Biggest airshow in the world give me a break

Which show is bigger then?

Quoting metalinyoni (Reply 13):
Will definitely look at the flying program before buying a ticket in future as I believe this years flying display wasn't as good as last years.

There are always changes to the aircraft attending, right up to the last minute.

On some discussion forums, there have been suggestions that RIAT might be better switching to a bi-annual event, running the same years as Farnborough to allow some 'sharing' of aircraft to boost both shows. On Farnborough years, RIAT is normally the weekend before Farnborough starts on the Monday.

Quoting derekf (Reply 15):
I went Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it- yes it's expensive but the ticket prices are well known as are the participants in the flying display. I've been going to Air Tattoos since 1983 and this was one of the better ones.

Saturday was a bit of a disaster with a good chunk of the flying display wiped out by the weather. However, the late afternoon and evening were very nice. Much better than at any time on Sunday. Monday was pretty much the same as Sunday, but without the rain (just a light shower or two).

GST

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm

I was there on saturday, and despite the deluge all morning I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it well worth the money. I was at the east end of the display line so perhaps got a better view of aircraft landing and taking off etc but I guess the consequence was that the displays were centered a way to our left.

Quoting dc10bhx (Reply 16):

My photos (albeit very blurry) consistently show white smoke coming from the starboard engine on it's last pass, so my guess is an oil leak.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/greenskintau/DA-72.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/greenskintau/DA-73.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/greenskintau/DA-74.jpg

dc10bhx
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks for that GST. I must admit I was thinking that they may put the second A10 up for a shortened display, but obviously with the time constraints they were under on Saturday this was always going to be a longshot.

I must admit that I was parked on the centre point of the runway which always helps with the displays for photos.

Molossus

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 pm

I was there from early on the Wednesday to last thing on the Monday. Three of us paid for the Mach 3 Pass, enjoyed every single minute of it, despite the weather at times. Have been to every event since it started and while the numbers of aircraft were down, the items flying and in the static were well worth the effort. I defy anyone to say the Italian AF C27J was boring. I do not think the prices are a "rip off'. It was the equivalent of going to 2.5 Chelsea home games for 6 full days. The charity aspect of the show means I don't mind paying for the privilege of going and getting close to aircraft such as the Meteor NF11. Overall I took around 1100 photographs, met some very friendly like minded people from France, Germany and one from Russia