Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KFlyer
Topic Author

Thai Crown Prince's Aircraft Impounded

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 pm

AP reports that the Thailand Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn's aircraft has been impounded by Germany. Anybody knows more ? Sorry no link as it's a wire service.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

jetfuel

RE: Thai Crown Prince's Aircraft Impounded

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:09 pm

The Boeing plane of the Thai Crown Prince has been seized by a spectacular seizure action at Munich airport. The liquidator of the former large German construction company Walter Bau has made sure this Tuesday, the Boeing 737 of Royal Thai Air Force. This is a spokesman for the Augsburg auditor Werner Schneider confirmed on request by the Financial Times Germany.

Background of the seizure of the plane of Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn is a requirement of around 30 million € of the liquidator against the Thai state. For years, arguing before the liquidator and the third largest German construction company Walter Bau with Thailand on a program started 20 years ago, highway project in Bangkok.

Whether the current market value of Boeing covers the 30-million-euro claim was not immediately known. Some details of the aircraft, as the interiors are not public.
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

jfk777

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Don't the Prince and his Plane have diplomatic immunity ? Can you imagine if Air Force One goes to a foreign country and get "impounded" in a situation like this.

jetfuel

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 pm

OFFICIALS say a plane being used by Thailand's Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn has been impounded in Germany as part of a long-running battle over payments for a building project in Thailand.

Munich airport spokesman Robert Wilhelm said on Wednesday the Boeing 737 "Royal Flight" was seized on a court order, and is now immobilised and sealed at the airport.

A spokesman for the bankruptcy administrator of German construction firm Walter Bau AG says the plane was seized on Tuesday because of the Thai government's refusal to pay E30 million ($A39.73 million) it owes the company.

Alexander Goerbing said the Thai government owes the now-bankrupt builder the money because of a contract agreed more than 20 years ago to build and operate a toll highway to Bangkok's Don Muang airport.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...frfku0-1226094197681#ixzz1RzdTKXEH
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

DrStrange

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 pm

I love the pictures of the seals and the court order on the door of the 737....

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-70373.html
(site is in German, you can click the arrows above or below the picture to cycle through them).

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 3):
Don't the Prince and his Plane have diplomatic immunity ? Can you imagine if Air Force One goes to a foreign country and get "impounded" in a situation like this.

I don't really think they will keep and sell the 737... I think it is good for them to impound the aircraft though:
That really got the attention of the gov't of Thailand and maybe they will find a quick solution and pay up.

Devilfish

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:32 pm

The subject aircraft.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andreas Hofaichner

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...d-at-munich-over-unpaid-debts.html

Quote:
"German insolvency administrators have impounded a Boeing 737 of the Royal Thai Air Force at Munich airport, after the Asian nation's administration allegedly failed to make payments for a motorway project near Bangkok.

The government twinjet, a 1995-vintage 737-400 (registration HS-CMV), is frequently piloted by crown prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, according to the Neu Ulm-based administrators Schneider, Geiwitz & Partner."
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

babybus

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:34 pm

If he continues to pay his bills this should never happen. But you never know.

I bet the value of the 737 isn't enough to pay the bill.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

bj87

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Don't the Prince and his Plane have diplomatic immunity ?

Interesting question.

I had to do a little googling and a fair amount of reading but what I could find out is the following.

Diplomatic immunity:
Prince: yes (he is a member of the family of the reigning monarch of Thailand and therefore enjoys diplomatic immunity. As stated per article 37 of the 1961 Vienna convention on diplomatic immunity)
Plane: in this case no

As for the aircraft article 30 of the 1961 Vienna convention on diplomatic immunity would probably apply and states the following.

1) The private residence of a diplomatic agent shall enjoy the same inviolability and protection as the premises of the mission.

2) His papers, correspondence and, except as provided in paragraph 3 of Article 31, his property, shall likewise enjoy inviolability

So because the aircraft is not privately owned by the diplomat and the aircraft is not part of an official diplomatic mission all local laws and taxes apply to the aircraft. Which means it was up for grabs.

And before anyone starts an argument over the definition of a diplomatic agent. Per article 1E of the 1961 Vienna concention on diplomatic immunity the definition of a diplomatic agent is as follows: "A "diplomatic agent" is the head of the mission or a member of the diplomatic staff of the mission;"

Sources for info:
http://www.ediplomat.com/nd/diplomatic_immunity.htm
http://www.ediplomat.com/nd/treaties/diplomatic_relations.htm

Can you imagine if Air Force One goes to a foreign country and get "impounded" in a situation like this.

That would be hysterically interesting to watch. IF the US were to default on their loans after August 2nd then Obama might want to take a Netjets jet to China the next time instead of Air Force one  

(however, Air Force One is always used as part of a diplomatic mission so therefore it would receive diplomatic immunity)

Quoting Babybus (Reply 7):
I bet the value of the 737 isn't enough to pay the bill.

No it isn't. the resale value of a 737 classic at the moment is around 6 million.

http://www.aviationbrief.com/?p=2645

Still, this might get them to pay up.

[Edited 2011-07-13 07:58:34]

bavair

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting bj87 (Reply 8):
So because the aircraft is not privately owned by the diplomat and the aircraft is not part of an official diplomatic mission all local laws and taxes apply to the aircraft. Which means it was up for grabs.

That´s where different sources are varying at the moment, some reporting that the plane is infact private property of the prince and does not belong to the Thai government. Wonder how this is going to play out (another source just confirmed that Thai Airways are increasing their frequency to MUC, I think this was just before the plane was impounded.)

MillwallSean

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Hmm I would be rather worried if i was Airbus right now.
Thais are pretty fond of their monarch to say the least and if they get annoyed and see this as an attack ont he monarchy the new government in Thailand will have a smashball play hardball with the germans and quickly gain popularity by supporting a foreign attack on the monarchy.
Airbus seems to be the number one target in such a situation but other german companies might be affected as well.

Or the Thais handle this 100% professionally and through the right channels, you never know.

Interesting times.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:23 pm

New York City had an ongoing diplomatic war with illegally parked cars that went on forever. Certain nations were real scofflaws. The city could ticket, but not impound, these cars. Haven't read lately about this. Anyone know if, how, why it seems to have ended.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

PanHAM

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 10):

What does this have to do with Airbus? The seizure is by a court order which was granted on request of a law firm that acts as liquidators of a bancrupt construction company. The law firm must act in accordance with its mandate and if the Thai state owes 20 Million € to that defunct company and there are assets of the Thai state within the jurisdiction of German courts they seize these assets. German courts are independent, the Government, here the foreign department, can make a friendly phone call to all concernedned but cannot order a judge and the bailiff stop doing what they have to do.

The other thing is if that was such a smart move by the law firm since a 737 classic in VIP configuration would not only yield far less than 20 Million but also is virtually not marketable. Whoever would buy that plane could fly it inside Germany, but taking it to Austria or any other country would most likely result in seizure by the Thai government who would claim that they are the rightful owners.

But punishing third parties who have nothing to do with this would backlash on Thailand and I cannot imagine that they would do that.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

rcair1

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Can you imagine if Air Force One goes to a foreign country and get "impounded" in a situation like this.

Since the Airforce One designation is related to the president - not the plane - can I read this as President Obama gets impounded.?

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 4):
and is now immobilised and sealed at the airport.

Cool - do they use a big boot on the MLG?

[Edited 2011-07-13 12:40:38]
rcair1

kc135topboom

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 12):

What does this have to do with Airbus? The seizure is by a court order which was granted on request of a law firm that acts as liquidators of a bancrupt construction company. The law firm must act in accordance with its mandate and if the Thai state owes 20 Million € to that defunct company and there are assets of the Thai state within the jurisdiction of German courts they seize these assets. German courts are independent, the Government, here the foreign department, can make a friendly phone call to all concernedned but cannot order a judge and the bailiff stop doing what they have to do.

Thailand has several big airplane deals with Airbus. Airbus is partly owned by the German Government. The Thai Government could care less about how the Germans 'solve' this problem in Thailand's behalf, just that it gets done according to what Thailand wants, not the German Courts.

TG, has some 6 A-388s on order and some 8 remaining A-333s also on order. The Thai Government could 'pull the plug' on these aircraft.

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 6):
The government twinjet, a 1995-vintage 737-400 (registration HS-CMV),

This B-737-4Z6 carries both a civilian registration (HS-CMV), and a military tail number (11-111) and carries a RTAF roundel. But the RTAF does not have any B-734s. They do have two B-737-8Z6-BBJs for use by the Royal Family (the RTAF also has 2 new B-747-8Z6-BBJs on order). So is this aircraft really owned by TG (which has 5, but they are retiring the type)?

The RTAF has Boeing customer code Z6, while TG's Boeing customer code is D7.

I believe TG is fully owned by the Thai Government.

Devilfish

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 14):
But the RTAF does not have any B-734s. They do have two B-737-8Z6-BBJs for use by the Royal Family

They also had this other one.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Lars Hentschel

.....but I don't know if it was sold or traded back to Boeing for the 738.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andre Wadman

(the RTAF also has 2 new B-747-8Z6-BBJs on order).

If not a typo, then WOW!    two 748s? This is very surprising considering they're buying only six Gripens at a time. Could these be the two unidentified Intercontinental BBJs being talked about?
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

PanHAM

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Thailand has several big airplane deals with Airbus

Yes, I know that.

Airbus is partly owned by the German Government

That is correct as well. However, that was not the question. Or, to put it this way, wrong thinking.

Fact is, our judiciary is not "owned" by the government. The Thais know that we have a completely independent court system which forbids itself any government interference. If a sequester or a company has a rightful outstanding debt to collect they do not have to ask the givernment or any other company, they follow the path the law offers them. I guess it's the same in the USA.

In simple words. how can a country punish a privately run corporation which Airbus is, they are certainly not a gvernment department and ownership means a seat or 2 on the supervisory board but nothing else, the supervisory board does not get involved in the management of the firm).

There is a German word "Sippenhaft" which has no equal in English but means in this case that others are punished for the rightful doing of a company. I cannot imagine that Thailand, which has numerous ties with Germany and whose crown prince obviously likes the coiuntry, he stays here repeatedly, would go that way.

I rather believe that the debt will be quietly settled and everyone maintains face.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

pelican

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Thais are pretty fond of their monarch to say the least and if they get annoyed and see this as an attack ont he monarchy the new government in Thailand will have a smashball play hardball with the germans and quickly gain popularity by supporting a foreign attack on the monarchy.

Since the brother of the winner of the election was forced to resign as MP and leave Thailand by the royal army, I wouldn't worry about that...

pelican

FoxTwo

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 pm

I would imagine that it would lead to a declaration of war! Based on the articles above, if one does not pay their bills and return to said country which owns the aircraft , then I would expect nothing less. How embarrassing for the crew.
F2

PlaneInsomniac

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Wow, I cannot believe the kind of discussion we are having here. To assume that it is to be expected or somehow "understandable" that TG's Airbus orders will or even should be affected by this incident is simply weird.

That some of these arguments are made by people who normally constantly sing the praise of the Almighty Free Market, is outright bizarre.

It may be hard to imagine for some people, but Germany is not one of those countries where all aspects of private and business life are centrally orchestrated by shadowy government officials.

It is entirely fair to assume that the liquidator of Walter Bau requested the impounding at the local court, the court then ascertained with all its legal expertise whether the plane falls under diplomatic immunity, came to a negative conclusion, and simply impounded the plane. As a matter of fact, in this case the court HAS to take action ASAP in order to prevent losing control over the object.

It is entirely plausible that during all these proceedings, nobody in Berlin oder even Munich was involved, and that government officials and diplomats only learned of it from the evening news, like we did.

By virtue of the German Constitution, courts are independent and have to answer to nobody in the government!

What does Airbus, an international company headquarted in France and a subsidary of the Dutch EADS corporation, both of which have subsidiaries and owners in many countries, have to do with any of this?

Walter Bau is in bankruptcy probably not least because of "prime customers" like the Thai government. This former construction company itself owes money to suppliers, subcontractors, and former employees. It is not only the right, but the DUTY of the liquidator to pursue outstanding payments owed to the company using all means possible.

What is the easy way out of this? Why doesn't the Thai government, which is the legal owner of the impounded plane, simply pay for the construction of their toll highway, which Walter Bau built for them many years ago? I know, this is not as spectacular as discussing about government-level international political retaliation against a completely unrelated airplane manufacturer, but trust me, IT WOULD BE THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

It is really ridiculous to see that some members of these forums, which normally use expressions like "level playing field" and "illegal subsidies" multiple times per day, now all of a sudden assume it is normal for dealings between a private company and a foreign government to be always handled on a national level, with the main aim of considering some Monarch's feelings.
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

PanHAM

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 pm

@ PlaneInsomniac

Absolutely correct in all counts.

this thread suffers a bit from the fact that it was moved to "military" , it should be moved back to "non-aviation" as a compromise.

Whatever monarchs do in their "own" countries, which we don't have to judge as long as the majority of their subjects are Ok with that, they will have to understand that there are no absolute rights in parliamentiary democracies. I am sure that the Thai crowne prince does. If not, someone should tell him the story of the "Miller of Sancsoussi". Friedrich II, King of Prussian, wanted the mill demolished because it ruined the views from/to his castle near Potsdam. The miller took the king to court and won the case. That was in the 18th century, BTW.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

kc135topboom

Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 15):
(the RTAF also has 2 new B-747-8Z6-BBJs on order).

If not a typo, then WOW! two 748s? This is very surprising considering they're buying only six Gripens at a time. Could these be the two unidentified Intercontinental BBJs being talked about?

According to this, yes the RTAF has 2 firm B-747-8Z6-BBJs on order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTAF#Aircraft_inventory

Which also matches this B-747-8I "undisclosed customer" order from the PAS.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1793

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-8#Orders

Although I am a fan of the B-747-8, I wonder why the Thai Government chose the B-747-8I-BBJ/VIP for the RTAF Royal Flight when they allowed TG (government owned) to have a different order of VLAs, the 6 A-388s?

Stitch

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:21 am

TG, has some 6 A-388s on order and some 8 remaining A-333s also on order. The Thai Government could 'pull the plug' on these aircraft.

They could, but they'd then forfeit over a billion USD in deposits and progress payments.

JoeCanuck

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 16):
I rather believe that the debt will be quietly settled and everyone maintains face.

With a new Thai government elected, I'm sure a deal will soon be quietly worked up to the public satisfaction of all parties concerned.

Thailand could also just tell them to keep the plane claiming it was time for it to be retired. Letting the creditors have the plane would go a long way to paying off their debt.
What the...?

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Why take this plane when TG are also govt owned and fly aircraft worth 30million of more into FRA everyday? To my eyes it would make more sense to take something that would cover the debt rather than something that doesn't even come close.

PanHAM

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I do not say that the liquidator, who works in the interest of the creditors, made a smart move here. He created a diplomatic nightmare for the German government who cannot do anything against the seizure.

He did not take into account that the aircraft is extremely hard to sell, who wants a 733 classic in VIP configuration and if yes, it would noit bring more than a few million dollars. Until then, he would have to pay parking fees at MUC and if the aircraft is stored several months the new buyer would deduct the maintenance cost to get the 733 in the air again from the payment. They might even have to scrap the aircraft and sell the parts, for which again someone is needed who knows the business. This puts the Thai government into quite a good position to negotiate. If the Thai are smart, and they are, they offer to pay 5 million off the debt and if the liquidator does not accept that, he will have an old Boeing on hand.

@ KiwiRob - The Air Force is an arm of the government, Thai Airways may be government owned but operates as a separate coorporation, hence Thai Airwyas cannot be liable for monies owned by the government.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

cosmofly

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Will Thai threat to cancel their airbus orders over this? Interesting diplomatic gestures ahead. The shrimps may have a harder time though  

IHMO, the fiasco can actually give the Thai a better hand. The crown prince will happily said "I am excited to find out that I can use my old plane to pay off the national debt. Now let's shop for a new replacement."

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 24):
Why take this plane when TG are also govt owned and fly aircraft worth 30million of more into FRA everyday?

You can only impound aircraft and other belongings from the legal subject which your court judgement is directed against.

Thai Airways is an independant company which is a totally different legal body compared to the state of Thailand. The airline might be owned by the state, but thats all.

If a limited company goes bankrupt, the owner remains unaffected, because it is a different legal subject.

Obviously the kings 737 is owned directly by the state (which is not really clear yet), so it can be impounded.

MD11Engineer

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:23 pm

New developments in the seized Thai aircraft case:
Acc. to the BBC a German court of law ruled that the aircraft can fly once the Thai government sets up a bank bond over 20 million Euros.
Thai officials argued that the aircraft was personal property of the crownprince and not state property, but the German court ruled that the paperwork offered by the Thai officials was inconclusive.
The aircraft´s value was estimated at 20 million Euros.
The German government stated that it could not interfere in the legal proceedings, since it was a pure court matter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14215215

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

mffoda

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Thai government responds to German court.... No money for you! 

"Thailand will not hand over the 20 million euros (846 million baht ) bank guarantee for the release of the Crown Prince's impounded jet and will fight the case to the end, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said on Thursday.

Mr Kasit said foreign ministry officials, the director of the Department of Civil Aviation, representatives of the Royal Thai Air Force and legal experts will travel to Germany to fight the case."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...posit-for-the-release-of-royal-jet
harder than woodpecker lips...

PanHAM

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:31 am

L'etat c'est moi. That's the easiest way for the Crown prince to verify that the Boeing is his property.

meanwhile, the sequester has to pay for the parking fees, the maintenance, the insurance and at the end of the day he might be empty handed and stuck with all the cost. The impounding of the aircraft was really not the brightest move.

The court in his endless wisdom has set the value far too high, I do not believe that a 733 classic in VIP would be marketable internationally and who wants a golden elephant interior in the western world anyhow?   Donald Trump just has a new aircraft.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

JoeCanuck

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:59 am

Would the impound include personal property on board or just the plane and fittings? I think if the courts think that plane is worth 20 million Euros, the Thais should pack up their stuff and let them take the plane to cover the debt. They would be money ahead by quite a margin.
What the...?

PanHAM

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:52 pm

The Thai are not stupid enough to offer a bank guarantee for 20 million as the aircraft is not worth a fraction of the amount.The move by the liquidator can be called more than stupid because at the end of the day he is likely to be stuck with costs and no income from this action
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

petertenthije

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 32):
The Thai are not stupid enough to offer a bank guarantee for 20 million as the aircraft is not worth a fraction of the amount.

Even if the plane is only worth a fraction, Thailand will still want it back. It would be really embarassing on a state level to have to abandon the plane, irrespective of its value.
Attamottamotta!

JoeCanuck

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 33):

A new paint job and it will be soon forgotten. If the people Thailand owes values that jet at 20 million euros, their best bet is to jump at it. That's the best deal they will ever get for that plane.
What the...?

mffoda

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 pm

The other side of this coin, is that the Thai's will prove that this is the Crown Prince's aircraft.

In which case, the German court impounded his private property and could be liable for damages??
harder than woodpecker lips...

PanHAM

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 am

The court cannot be liable for damages. The lawyer who handles the bankcruptcy and requested a court order to have the aircraft impounded will have to pay all costs including maintenance and insurance.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

PlaneInsomniac

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:12 am

It has now been reported that the Thai crown prince will pay the 20 million Euros personally. At the same time, he stated that he is not involved in the Walter Bau deal, but that he wants to keep his "good name" out of the affair. Furthermore, the prince has stated that he has faith in the fairness of the German courts.

Link (stern.de - German):
http://www.stern.de/panorama/maha-va...panorama&utm_content=snippet-links
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

PanHAM

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Looks like the money has not been received yet. Courts act based on the law, absolutely neutral and the matter is with the bailiff at the moment who acts on behalf of the receiver of Walter Bau who are the creditors. If the receiver is happy with the money he got he will intsruct the bailiff to release the aircraft.

Very simple matter.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

racko

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:42 am

Surprise, Surprise:

The Thai government is embarrassed that the Prince would've to pay personally for his jet and suddenly is willing to pay up:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/0,1518,778072,00.html (German)