Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Chamonix
Topic Author

Which Fighter Is The Most Automated?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 am

Which fighters have the most automation in terms of pitch,roll and trim?

Arniepie

RE: Which Fighter Is The Most Automated?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:42 am

In use today, I would say Typhoon, it's basically fly and forget, also the F-22 is probably at least at the same level
but less is known about its handling characteristics/automation, so we can only speculate about it.

ebj1248650

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 pm

If we're going to speculate, I have a feeling the F-35 will prove to be the most automated warplane built, up to the present. Given all that it's supposed to be able to do, the pilot will need all the automation he can get to help reduce the workload.

opso1

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:39 am

I never could get the auto-landing system to work well in the Harrier. The switch brought the wheels down, but always landed with a huge thump when flown hands-off...  

autothrust

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Quoting Arniepie (Reply 1):
In use today, I would say Typhoon, it's basically fly and forget

The Typhoon uses a quadruplex digital fly-by-wire control system providing artificial stability. The FBW is fully automated and feature care free handling and envelope protections at all times.

Chamonix
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting Autothrust (Reply 4):
The Typhoon uses a quadruplex digital fly-by-wire control system providing artificial stability. The FBW is fully automated and feature care free handling and envelope protections at all times.

Must be a dream to fly...the best out there hands down!

"In 2004, United States Air Force Chief of Staff General John P. Jumper said after flying the Eurofighter:
"I have flown all the air force jets. None was as good as the Eurofighter."

chrisco1204

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Quoting Chamonix (Thread starter):
Which fighters have the most automation in terms of pitch,roll and trim?

Fighters typically aren't very automated. Autopilots and fancy avionics cost money and weight, and are typically not very important for the kind of missions fighter aircraft fly. As such, there usually aren't autopilots.

With that said, many fighters (like the F-16) incorporate fly-by-wire flight control systems which are a form of automation, but not an autopilot.

I hope that helps.

Legs

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Quoting chrisco1204 (Reply 6):
Fighters typically aren't very automated. Autopilots and fancy avionics cost money and weight,

Fighters are probably the most automated planes, down to the simple fact that often a single pilot has to carry out the tasks that not many years ago would have taken a crew of three or four. 'Fancy' avionics are crucial to a modern fighters abiity to fight effectively, incorporating navigation, weapons control, active and passive electronic warfare, active and passive sensors both onboard and offboard, as well as powerful self monitoring and fault diagnosis routines, and are often a significant portion of a fighters development (Look at the software update schedule for the F-35, for instance).

Quoting chrisco1204 (Reply 6):
As such, there usually aren't autopilots.

Things like autopilot in modern fighters are (generally, though I'm sure there are exceptions) not separate systems, but are sub-sections of the main flight control system software. I don't know of any that don't have autopilot functions, even the original lightweight F-16.

Quoting Chamonix (Thread starter):
automation in terms of pitch,roll and trim?

From my (somewhat limited, I'm not across the Russian designs) knowledge, I'd argue that most of the current 4.5 or 5th generation FBW fighters are all roughly the same level of automation when it comes to handling pitch, roll, yaw and trim. All will have active envelope protection, terrain protection and warnings, high maneuverability, air to air and air to ground modes, as well as advanced fault handling routines and a bajillion other things I've haven't thought of.

flagon

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:51 am

Quoting Autothrust (Reply 4):
The Typhoon uses a quadruplex digital fly-by-wire control system providing artificial stability. The FBW is fully automated and feature care free handling and envelope protections at all times

All modern fighters like F16 use artificial stability, not a big deal at all. As per flight envelope protection, it would be a shame not to have it in todays fighters since in civil aviation I believe it was introduced for the first time on the A320 in the eighties....

Chamonix
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:22 am

Quoting flagon (Reply 8):
civil aviation I believe it was introduced for the first time on the A320

Yes.
IIRC,the pre-cursor (semi-automated) was Concorde (in terms of CG inflight weight transfer) who rehashed it from the Vulcan.
I watched a programme with Feldzer who said "Sans le Concorde on n'aurait jamais pu faire l'A320".

flagon

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:37 am

Quoting Chamonix (Reply 9):
the pre-cursor (semi-automated) was Concorde (in terms of CG inflight weight transfer)

Thats right

Quoting Chamonix (Reply 9):
"Sans le Concorde on n'aurait jamais pu faire l'A320"

I think without the Concorde maybe the whole Airbus GIE would never have existed (at least in its current shape) as on top of the technologic learnings, it's also the lessons learned for organising a multi-national programme in a economical way that have set the fundations of Airbus....

autothrust

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Quoting legs (Reply 7):

Fighters are probably the most automated planes, down to the simple fact that often a single pilot has to carry out the tasks that not many years ago would have taken a crew of three or four. 'Fancy' avionics are crucial to a modern

Couldn't agree more. The DVI is exactly such a fancy system which reduces highly the workload of the pilot.

All modern fighters like F16 use artificial stability, not a big deal at all

I don't deny that, but the question was which fighter is most automated and not if it features artficial stability. It was just explanation.  

As per flight envelope protection, it would be a shame not to have it in todays fighters since in civil aviation

Wrong, the Typhoon is the first fighter which provides care free handling with envelope protections at all times. It was quite an accomplishment as the plane was built in mind to have the highest instabillity possible. They had to linearisize the effects of unlinear aerodynamics to make the envelope protecions.

By the way the Autopilot features besides basic modes, auto-climb, auto-attack, and auto-approach.

wvsuperhornet

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:08 am

Quoting Chamonix (Reply 5):
"In 2004, United States Air Force Chief of Staff General John P. Jumper said after flying the Eurofighter:
"I have flown all the air force jets. None was as good as the Eurofighter."

Thats funny he said the same thing about the F-22 and the F-35 also.

autothrust

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:42 am

Quoting wvsuperhornet (Reply 12):
Thats funny he said the same thing about the F-22 and the F-35 also.

Source?

wvsuperhornet

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 am

Quoting Autothrust (Reply 13):
Source?

Previous articles posted in these forums.

autothrust

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting wvsuperhornet (Reply 14):

Previous articles posted in these forums.

Great source as always from you.  

travelavnut

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Quoting Autothrust (Reply 11):
auto-attack

Could you possible expand a bit on this one? Is this auto-attack as in automaticaly attacking a target? Or more in the region of auto-AoA?

autothrust

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 16):
Could you possible expand a bit on this one? Is this auto-attack as in automaticaly attacking a target?

Yes and no the Typhoon's autopilot is part of the tactical systems. It can fly several programmed tactical maneuvers like auto-attack, auto-intercept,auto-escape, auto-patrol, auto-recovery etc.. But it doesn't fire the weapons automaticly.

wvsuperhornet

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:29 am

Quoting Autothrust (Reply 15):
Great source as always from you.

Sorry I have no intetions on wasting my time arguing with someone who has a closed mind the eurofighter,F-22 are both good aircraft equal to the point until you get into stealth there also was a british pilot who flew the F-22 who comments both are good aircraft but if he went into battle he would prefer the F-22 blah blah its a personal choice live with it Both are good aircraft I doubt if you look at it neither one has a superior technological advantage over the other and will likely never face each other in battle.

autothrust

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Quoting wvsuperhornet (Reply 18):
Sorry I have no intetions on wasting my time arguing

Then your claim is worthless, you are not alone arquing with me i guess the other posters also would like to know if there is some truth in your post.If you claim something you should back it up with some sources else it's not credible.

Both are good aircraft I doubt if you look at it neither one has a superior technological advantage over the other and will likely never face each other in battle.

You won't believe it.... i agree fully with this statement.   

I never claimed the Typhoon being totally superior then the F-22, but in some things. Likewise the F-22 is superior in some things over the Typhoon.

travelavnut

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Quoting Autothrust (Reply 17):
Quoting travelavnut (Reply 16):
Could you possible expand a bit on this one? Is this auto-attack as in automaticaly attacking a target?

Yes and no the Typhoon's autopilot is part of the tactical systems. It can fly several programmed tactical maneuvers like auto-attack, auto-intercept,auto-escape, auto-patrol, auto-recovery etc.. But it doesn't fire the weapons automaticly.

That's really cool, so I guess the F-35 will have similar provisions?

Quoting Autothrust (Reply 19):
Sorry I have no intetions on wasting my time arguing

Then your claim is worthless, you are not alone arquing with me i guess the other posters also would like to know if there is some truth in your post.If you claim something you should back it up with some sources else it's not credible.

wvsuperhornet

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:05 am

Then your claim is worthless, you are not alone arquing with me i guess the other posters also would like to know if there is some truth in your post.If you claim something you should back it up with some sources else it's not credible

Dude your worse than my 10 year old, Relax its just a forum!!!!

You won't believe it.... i agree fully with this statement.

I never claimed the Typhoon being totally superior then the F-22, but in some things. Likewise the F-22 is superior in some things over the Typhoon.

We will leave it at that, we agree on something !!!!

[Edited 2011-12-13 21:10:17]