SAS A340
Topic Author

Brazil Selects Gripen E

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

From Swedish media:

"Media in Brazil indicate that the country has decided to buy Saab's Jas Gripen fighter aircraft. News about Brazil's decision is rendered by the newspaper Folha de São Paulo's online.

The announcement comes as the Brazilian newspaper that officially announced at a press conference 5 pm local time, at 20 GMT, by defense minister Celso Amorim and Air Force Commander Juniti Saito.

According to the editors, who claims to Istoé Independente have received acknowledgements from military and diplomatic sources, it will initially involve a purchase of 12 Gripen planes. According to the previous data is the order for 36 Gripen planes."
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

Doona

RE: Brazil Selects Gripen E

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Good news for the Gripen. As I've understood it, the Swedish Air Force's order for the Gripen NG is conditioned on SAAB securing more orders for the A/C by the end of 2014, and with the Swiss order being left to a referendum it is far from a done deal.

Question: Is the Sea Gripen still in development? Could Brazil be a potential customer somewhere down the road? I know they're overhauling the old Skyhawks and refitting them with new avionics and so on, but they're still almost 40 year old airframes.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 pm

confirmed here:

http://noticias.terra.com.br/brasil/...03410VgnVCM3000009af154d0RCRD.html

10.5 Billion Brazilian Real (about 4.5 Billion USD) for the entire deal of 36 aircraft,
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

agill

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Great news for the Gripen project.

RJAF

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Congrats to Sweden and Brazil. Excellent choice!
Chance favors the prepared mind

art

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:50 am

IMO it was the logical choice. Ordering F/A-18 or Rafale would have greatly increased the annual burden on the air force budget so without a budget increase other activities/projects would have needed to be cut back.

In addition there is a possibility of other South American countries ordering Gripen in the future. Brazilian firm Akaer is already involved with the design of Gripen E and Embraer could become involved in the project, too. Any orders from other South American countries would result in more work for Brazil.

oldeuropean

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Quoting art (Reply 5):
IMO it was the logical choice. Ordering F/A-18 or Rafale would have greatly increased the annual burden on the air force budget so without a budget increase other activities/projects would have needed to be cut back.

And the NSA scandal also enacts his part in this decision (against Boeing).
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

SAS A340
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Sweden need to replace its H130 Hercules, would not surprise me if there will be an order on the KC-390 in the near future...

kanban

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 6):
And the NSA scandal also enacts his part in this decision (against Boeing).

that is turning out to be more of a journalistic pile of sensationalism and justification. When looking at Brazil's requirements, the Gripen fits both the budget and usage better.

neutronstar73

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Quoting agill (Reply 3):

YAY!! I was hoping the Gripen or the Rafale would win! A Gripen win is very nice! Congrats to Saab and Brazil! I think it is a good choice.

I also hope the Boeing deal with Saab to go in together on the USAF trainer requirement means a Gripen in US colors!

SAS A340
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Quoting kanban (Reply 8):
that is turning out to be more of a journalistic pile of sensationalism and justification

Quoting neutronstar73 (Reply 9):
I also hope the Boeing deal with Saab to go in together on the USAF trainer requirement means a Gripen in US colors!

also have high hopes for this cooperation, but I don't think it will be something that resembles the gripen 
Sweden's old SAAB 105 need to be replaced so I hope Boeing o SAAB succeed to produce a really god trainer  

mercure1

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Congratulations Sweden and Brazil.

mercure f-wtcc

queb

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Quoting neutronstar73 (Reply 9):

It will be a clean sheet a/c.

GDB

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Quoting kanban (Reply 8):
that is turning out to be more of a journalistic pile of sensationalism and justification. When looking at Brazil's requirements, the Gripen fits both the budget and usage better.

While it's the best choice, the President of Brazil had been leaning towards the F-18. Which might not have amounted to much if the Air Force had not already had disputes with their political masters over the choice for a new fighter.
This has, after all, been a very long process.

As it is, the President of Brazil is one pissed off lady.
Despite those pics from the Mandela memorial, the real heat Obama has been getting from females has not been from his wife, rather the Brazilian leader and Angela Merkel.

bikerthai

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 13):
As it is, the President of Brazil is one pissed off lady.

Being mad at the US President for the NSA problem may be good politics.

However, not selecting Boeing just because of that makes no sense considering that Boeing is using a Brazilian airframe for their MMA light proposal . . .

Thus I would tend to believe that the Gripen win was the "best bang for the buck" option and Boeing would understand that.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

PPVRA

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:37 am

Quoting bikerthai (Reply 14):
However, not selecting Boeing just because of that makes no sense considering that Boeing is using a Brazilian airframe for their MMA light proposal . . .

Given how out of the blue this decision came about, after 12 years of delays including a definite warming up to Boeing in the last years, I believe there is merit to the idea that Boeing lost out because of the NSA scandal.

"Screw this, and the French are so expensive and also difficult to deal with, so let's get more economical choice with the no non-sense people". That's my reading into it.

MMA, Tucano. . that's small stuff.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

ferpe

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:56 am

It should be noted that the Air Force evaluation, which was sent to the defense department Jan 2010 listed the Gripen as the preferred choice (the following is a very good summary of the whole FX2 affair):

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...g-upon-f-x2-fighter-program-04179/

"
Jan 5/10: The Brazilian air force’s Comissao Coordenadora do Programa Aeronaves de Combate (FAB COPAC) has produced its technical evaluation, based on aircraft performance, purchase and lifetime costs, and industrial benefits. The report was ratified by FAB command on December 18th, and media reports from the Folha de Sao Paulo claim that FAB’s executive summary had Saab’s Gripen as the preferred choice, with Boeing’s Super Hornet in 2nd place, and the Rafale last. "

The FAB knew they would always have a money problem, they wanted to be able to fly their kites (and I agree, having been a fighter pilot, if you are allowed to fly 2 times a week it is misery, 2 times a day and you are fit).

A fighter is to a large degree as good as it's pilot (therefore the flying instead of waiting), radar and weapons. The Gripen E in the only one with a swash plate ESA (allows you to turn away after head-on shot) and integrated IRST with weapons Meteor, IRIS-T and a Mauser 27. The Rafale beats it on the cannon only, it's DEFA is one notch better but the radar and missiles are inferior (it will get Meteor eventually but that is long after Gripen), both out-curve the heavy F18. The F18 ESA is OK but lacks swash plate and the AMRAM, AIM9 and Gatling is old designs with inferior kinetic energy and for the missiles maneuverability.

So once the politics had finished by one reason or another the Air Force got what they wanted, a suitable airplane.

[Edited 2013-12-23 00:01:44]
Non French in France

art

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:51 pm

A report that Brazil intends setting up a production plant suggests an intention to produce a lot more than 30 or so aircraft in Brazil.

"The Swedish government has already confirmed that part of the 36 Gripen-E combat aircraft earmarked in Saab’s preliminary sale contract will be manufactured at a new plant in Sao Bernardo, an industrial city located close to Sao Paulo. This facility would produce the Gripen-E or two seat Gripen-F aircraft in support of any future sales to other South American and African countries."

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...ooks-Add-Value-Gripen-E-Sale-Talks

mrg

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:20 am

Quoting ferpe (Reply 16):
The Rafale beats it on the cannon only, it's DEFA is one notch better but the radar and missiles are inferior (it will get Meteor eventually but that is long after Gripen),

It's worth mentioning that the Gripen is a lot smaller than it's competitiors. A Meteor weighs around 185Kg. That's a lot. The Mica weighs 112Kg. Expect the Gripen to carry no more than two. The Mica is IMHO rather underrated.

With regard to Gripen getting the Meteor sooner, I think it's safe to say that the Gripen E won't be in Brazilian service earlier than 2018/19. The Rafale will be carrying the Meteor by then. The Gripen C's that they'll be operating in the interim will be converted A models. I doubt that you'll see the Meteor on them.

Your German is probably a bit shakey so you won't know that there is some good info out there regarding the Swiss selection of the Gripen- although I assume that there's good French language info as well. The enthusiam in Swiss aerospace circles for the Gripen E is somewhat muted, whether it be with regard to the plane's performance or the industrial aspects.

I'm not trashing the Gripen- it' a great little plane. It'll cost less to operate than the Rafale. It weighs 3 tons less then the Rafale and almost 7 tons less than the Super Hornet. It's also less capable than the Rafale and F/A-18E.

fbwless

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Quoting mrg (Reply 18):
It's worth mentioning that the Gripen is a lot smaller than it's competitiors. A Meteor weighs around 185Kg. That's a lot. The Mica weighs 112Kg. Expect the Gripen to carry no more than two. The Mica is IMHO rather underrated.

Here is a payload composition for different missions that includes the Meteor.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oaWYzcZcnH...LEcNno/s1600/swissgripene_load.jpg

neutronstar73

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Quoting queb (Reply 12):

Dammit! Oh well. Can always hope and dream.

ThePointblank

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:13 am

Quoting fbwless (Reply 19):
Here is a payload composition for different missions that includes the Meteor.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oaWYzcZcnH...d.jpg

Meteor is also going to be very expensive and may be a limited issue weapon. It maybe that for many Meteor users, a typical air to air load will mix Meteor with another BVR missile, like AMRAAM. I believe for the French,the French bought for every Rafale, 6 MICA's and 1 Meteor.

mrg

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 21):
a typical air to air load will mix Meteor with another BVR missile

That would mean that three missile types would be carried- short, medium and longe range. I can't see that happening.
Certainly a MICA/Meteor mix would be good. The MICA for short and medium range- either with IR or radar seekers and the Meteor for the longe range stuff.

Quoting ferpe (Reply 16):
both out-curve the heavy F18.

Ferpe, look at the Gripen's numbers again. It is a bit lighter than a Mirage 2000 and has a bit more afterburning thrust than the M53 turbofan- although the M53 has a higher dry thrust rating than the F-414. The notion that the Gripen will out-turn the Super Hornet is unrealistic.
There are good reasons for choosing the Gripen above the other two. Superior aero isn't one of them.

fbwless

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Quoting queb (Reply 12):

As indicated in the article linked, that "clean sheet design" will probably resemble the Gripen a lot.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...eing-Saab-Team-Up-USAF-Trainer-Bid

Flighty

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Quoting agill (Reply 3):

Great news for the Gripen project.

Saab are a great team. Now the sector has real competition again. It is great to see the Gripen NG. The Sweden order was conditional on another big order, so this truly launches the model.

Brazil has no need for global superiority. It is a huge country, with large perimeter needs, but I don't see a regional power breathing down their neck. For regional security, the Gripen E should be more than enough capability.

http://www.defesaaereanaval.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Grpen-NG.jpg

[Edited 2013-12-29 12:48:59]

ferpe

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Quoting mrg (Reply 18):

185kg for a 10 tonne fighter is nothing (I have flown one so I know), when you start to load 1 tonne fuel tanks and bombs you notice it. The E model can carry 5 Meteor, 2 IRIS and 2 drop tanks, the thing you notice is the drop tanks. It can supercruise on dry engine with 2 Meteors and 2 IRIS (not drop tanks of course).

Quoting mrg (Reply 18):
The Gripen C's that they'll be operating in the interim will be converted A models. I doubt that you'll see the Meteor on them.

The Gripen C carries the Meteor, it is the aircraft that does all the Meteor validation, therefore gets it first.

Quoting mrg (Reply 18):
Your German is probably a bit shakey so you won't know that there is some good info out there regarding the Swiss selection of the Gripen- although I assume that there's good French language info as well.

I am fluent in German after 11 years in the country and I have read the Swiss evaluation reports and most articles, both German and French. A lot is focused about the Gripen C vs Rafale ie the evaluation in the early reports. Rafale is considerably better then Gripen C but does not really develop much going forward whereas the Gripen E is a rather large step fuel (+40%), load (+20%) and system wise (AESA, IRST, helmet mounted sight).

Quoting mrg (Reply 18):
It's also less capable than the Rafale and F/A-18E.

Capable is defined as system capable for everything including dogfight (helmet sighting), for Air defense it is among the most capable as the radar and missile combinations are the most capable. IRIS has thrust vectoring and Meteor has the most impulse (which is the problem with a long range missile, as soon as the target starts maneuvering and the missile engine has burned the kill probability dives).

For ground attack the others can carry more payload.

Quoting mrg (Reply 22):
Ferpe, look at the Gripen's numbers again

I have done the numbers, load them for an air defense mission and they all are at 0.9 thrust to weight with about the same endurance. The Gripen and Rafale out-turn the F18 in instantaneous turn rate (Canards) but the Hornet span makes it come back in a long paperbasket fight. In a dogfight the best short range missile and helmet cuing system wins, Rafale lacks helmet cuing and F18 has AIM9, Gripen has IRIS and helmet cuing.

[Edited 2014-01-01 15:57:39]
Non French in France

mrg

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi Ferpe,
were you an AdlA pilot?

You hold the Gripen E in high esteem. Allow me to quote the following from www.sonntagszeitung.ch

"Laut der Broschüre des Verteidigungsdepartements VBS erreicht das Kampfflugzeug Gripen E/F, das die Schweiz für drei Milliarden Franken beschaffen will, doppelte Schallgeschwindigkeit: Mach 2.0. Vergangene Woche konnten zwei Schweizer Testpiloten im schwedischen Linköping erstmals die Demonstrationsversion des Jets testen. Doch Armasuisse-Pilot Bernhard Berset brachte den Gripen auch mit dem neuen Triebwerk von General Electric nicht über Mach 1.35. Die Luftzufuhr zum Antrieb war nicht gross genug für schnellere Flüge."

For the non-German speaking forum readers my translation:
According to the sales broshures, the Gripen E that Switzerland will be procuring for 3 Billion Francs is Mach 2 capable.
Last week two Armasuisse test-pilots were able to fly the E Demonstrator for the first time. However, even with the new GE engine the pilot Bernhard Berset was unable to exceed Mach1,35. The intakes don't deliver sufficient air to the engine to allow higher speeds.

I read with interest that the planned radar for the E/F version weighs 200 Kg- that's two hundred- more than the current radar. There is not yet an E production plane. Only a demonstrator.

ferpe

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Quoting mrg (Reply 26):
For the non-German speaking forum readers my translation:
According to the sales broshures, the Gripen E that Switzerland will be procuring for 3 Billion Francs is Mach 2 capable.
Last week two Armasuisse test-pilots were able to fly the E Demonstrator for the first time. However, even with the new GE engine the pilot Bernhard Berset was unable to exceed Mach1,35. The intakes don't deliver sufficient air to the engine to allow higher speeds.

That is nothing new, all the the airplanes in question lacks supersonic intakes (read schock-wave recovering intakes) for the reason you seldom fly faster then M1 in tactical flying (only when running away and then it is smarter to maneuver at the right moment) so why go to a lot of complication, weight and less good performance in normal regimes for something you don't use, SAAB, Dassault and McAir all said no.

With the straight pitot type intakes they all fly in the 1-1.5 region (I have flown max 1.6 with the same type of intakes and could have spent all fuel to reach 1.7 but what is the point? Nothing special happens at supersonic speed, the ship gets slower in response to commands (aero center goes back) that is all) and the results that Sonntagszeitung writes about would be the same with the other aircraft. In fact Dassault says the Rafale is the slowest (M1.8), they might just be more honest then those writing 2.0. Fact is you have to have clean ship and 14km height and use all your fuel to reach above 1.7, more interesting is supercruise at 1.1-1.2 with a AA config, this can be quite useful.

I am not plugging for Gripen, I know them all 3 well, the reality is you fight with your systems+weapons capability and not with aircraft weight or size, large size and twice the hot exhaust is more a negative for signature (RCS, IR) then any advantage. Important is you sensors and sensor fusion for situational awareness (know where he is before he knows where you are) and then have the capable weapons to kill him before he knows what is happening (and of course vice versa for him).

For the BVR you want a missile which has some grunt (read maneuvering capability) left when it comes close to the target, the Meteor is one a the few that has that due to it's unique air breathing engine. In a VFR situation you see the missile most of the times (you know it has locked on and from what angle from the RWR) and a sharp turn or two when it comes close suffices to have it spend all energy and be gone. For close in you want good cuing system, good seeker, good impulse and good turn rate, IRIS is one of the few that has it all.

With the heavier aircraft you gain in ultimate weapons load but then you are a bomb truck and the Swiss and Brazilians are looking for air policing/air defense system.

Quoting mrg (Reply 26):
were you an AdlA pilot?

Don't know what you mean, I was a fighter pilot in a western Air Force, flew fighters with the type of AA weapons we discuss.
Non French in France

mrg

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi Ferpe,
sorry about the late response.
AdlA= French airforce.
The Meteor will be a great missile. Rafale will get it. IRIS-T is probably the benchmark at present. The Germans have done a great job.
MICA always seems to be perceived as not quite good enough. I don't know why. A decent-sized warhead(12Kg), a Swedish data-link, a German rocket motor and and French aerodynamics. It was the first missile to achieve an over-the-shoulder kill- in 2007.

Having fixed intakes obviously impacts on the maximum speed attainable but nevertheless there's a big difference between M1,35 and M2.

ferpe

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:35 am

Quoting mrg (Reply 28):
MICA always seems to be perceived as not quite good enough. I don't know why.

MICA has a classical hot spot non imaging seeker with dual band detection to improve flare discrimination, this is not as good as the IRIS-T, 9X, ASRAAM etc which have imaging seekers. In this respect and the non availability of helmet mounted queuing the RAFALE and MICA IR combination is definitely not the best short range missile systems.
Non French in France

tommy1808

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 am

Quoting ferpe (Reply 29):
MICA has a classical hot spot non imaging seeker with dual band detection to improve flare discrimination, this is not as good as the IRIS-T, 9X, ASRAAM etc which have imaging seekers.

Which is somewhat strange since the MICA EM has a fairly advanced seeker head. Lack of know how on the French side?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Acheron

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Quoting mrg (Reply 22):
The notion that the Gripen will out-turn the Super Hornet is unrealistic.

Hmm, the SH is a barn with wings compared to other planes of it's generation...

ferpe

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:58 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 30):
Which is somewhat strange since the MICA EM has a fairly advanced seeker head. Lack of know how on the French side?

You have to look at the situation when the MICA was developed. It was developed between 1985-1995 and a direct replacement of the MagicII. As such it inherited an improved version of that seeker, made by SAGEM.

The IRIS-T was developed 10 years later and the AIM-9X in between, both using imaging seekers. They are simply later designs and were also in projects where large resources was spent on the IR missile alone. The problem is not making an imaging seeker, it is the elaborate simulation, trialing and testing of the algorithms for the seeker and the guidance which cost time and effort. The IRIS and the 9X has plenty of both as they where a response to the fresh knowledge that the west trailed what the Wympel R73 could do, the MICA was conceived before that.

It is to some extent the story of the RAFALEs weapons systems, they are or have just peaked in capability and maturity (for instance the targeting pod), this makes the RAFALE one of the best plane just now but as I said, the French don't have the money for really new versions and the export is not there to support big changes ( if not the MRCA gets going). It is a pity but a similar story to the Thyphoon, Europe (foolishly) split this project into two very similar planes and now none of them has the money or momentum to really max their potential.

[Edited 2014-01-13 20:00:23]
Non French in France

olle

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:25 am

When the Gripen A/B was original developed the first Viggens to be replaced was the AJ - attack version. This was handling 2 RBS 15 antishipping missiles. This must be nust bigger and heavier campared what we talking about in Meteor.

olle

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 am

Pictures of rbs 15

https://www.google.cl/search?q=rbs+15&client=firefox-a&hs=6qf&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EJHYUuvkDYyDkQeY24DwAg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=651

olle

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 am

http://www.aereo.jor.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Gripen-D.jpg

In this picture Gripen has both Meteor and RBS 15. As shown the RBS15 is much bigger then the Meteor.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:51 am

Saab has confirmed that there will be an F-version of the Gripen.

Quote:
Saab has confirmed to IHS Jane's that Brazil's aerospace industry will be given
the opportunity to develop a two-seater version of the Gripen NG as part of the USD4.5
million consignment of 36 fighter aircraft ordered by the country.

http://www.janes.com/article/33428/s...at-gripen-f-development-for-brazil

[Edited 2014-02-11 01:52:45]

[Edited 2014-02-11 01:53:11]
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Ozair

Re: Brazil Selects Gripen E

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 pm

Finally first flight of a Gripen destined for the Brazilian Air Force. The aircraft will go to the test program for a couple of years before being handed over to Brazil.

First Brazilian Gripen E makes flight debut

The first Gripen E fighter to have been produced for Brazil completed a 65min flight debut from Saab’s Linkoping site in Sweden on 26 August.

Performed by company test pilot Richard Ljungberg, the milestone sortie “included test points to verify basic handling and flying qualities at different altitudes and speeds”, the airframer says.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ut-460489/

IMO a better looking aircraft than the C version.