Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cmb56
Topic Author

Fighter Statistics

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:06 am

I have been doing some reading in the last few days related to the F35 and it's critics. I won't mention my opinion here. There are a lot of statistics thrown around concerning how well various fighters have done in combat. For example the F-15 is often quoted as having a proven record of 100+ to 0 in kills vs. losses in air to air combat. But what is the real life data that backs up these type of statistics?
Another example is the F-86 which by USAF count had a 10-1 edge over the Mig 15 in kills vs losses. But if you go by the documents released from Russia the edge is 3-1 in favor of the Mig 15 when the few Russian pilots in Korea were the only ones being counted.
So just what do these kind of statistics mean? My opinion is they can be cooked and quoted to make them look however good you want them.
Any thoughts?

HaveBlue

RE: Fighter Statistics

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting cmb56 (Thread starter):
My opinion is they can be cooked and quoted to make them look however good you want them.

That goes for most statistics in regards to just about anything. And that statement is true 98% of the time, by a poll I made up for this response  

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Gripen was actually built in an other strategy thinking. Most times your airfighter will be unusual because you do not have an airbase to use and start from.

Gripen and Viggen used "johansson" airfields that was so many it was no use to destoy them. This means that a normal road can be used to reload.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Norway will in a few years have one airbase. In case of a war with russia I am shure that Russia will attach the airbase rather then the F35s with the same result = No fighters in the air.

This what was happend with the Iraqi airforce. Most of them escaped to Iran when the war started to not be destroyed.