Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bunumuring
Topic Author

Raaf Designations

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi all,
I've always been a bit miffed with the RAAF's use of the KC-30 designation with the A330 tanker transport. The designation of the selected then unselected A330 tanker with the USAF was KC-45. I know the RAAF ordered theirs first, but how abouts did the 'KC-30' designation emerge and stay in use even after the KC-45 designation was announced. I know air forces can call their aircraft whatever they want and not use other more widely recognized designations (hello Canada and Brazil) but again, the RAAF usually uses standard American designations.
On a similar theme, is the E-7 designation for the 737AWACS that the RAAF uses recognized as part of the 'American' system of designation? Is 'Wedgetail' also official?
Again, on a similar note, I think the RAAF should call the KC-30 'Voyager', copying the RAF. I love this name and think it suits the aircraft and it's role admirably. Come on, RAAF, call the KC-30 the Voyager!
Take care,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

kc135topboom

RE: Raaf Designations

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:17 pm

The USAF designation of KC-45 was because it was the next tanker/cargo designation available under the new MDS system. The RAAF used the KC-30 designation because earlier A-330s were designated as C-30s under the USAF system, just as the KC-33 (B-747-400) is designated as the C-33.

bunumuring
Topic Author

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):
The USAF designation of KC-45 was because it was the next tanker/cargo designation available under the new MDS system. The RAAF used the KC-30 designation because earlier A-330s were designated as C-30s under the USAF system, just as the KC-33 (B-747-400) is designated as the C-33.

Hi KC135TopBoom,
Thanks for the reply. I'm still a little confused. I knew KC-45 (and -46) were next in the designation sequence for those jets, but this is the first I've heard of 'earlier A330s' being designated as C-30s. What earlier A330s are you referring too? I thought the KC-45 would've been the first A330s considered for US military service.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

kc135topboom

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:15 am

The USAF designates an MDS for all CRAF and chartered aircraft. That is why there is a designation of C-30 for the A-330. The A-340 is the C-31 (for the -200/-300), C-38 for the A-340-500, the A-340-600 is the C-41. B-777-300ER is the C-44.

Legs

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:42 am

Quoting bunumuring (Thread starter):
E-7 designation for the 737AWACS that the RAAF uses recognized as part of the 'American' system of designation?

The E-7 designator was given by the US under the MDS, I can remember reading the press release from not all that long ago. Wedgetail, as far as I know, is still an unofficial nickname as far as it goes, but a very widespread one.

I havent heard any real nicknames for the KC-30 in RAAF service, if an official one is ever chosen I doubt it will be a copy of a UK one, it'll more than likely be an Australian native bird.