Mortyman
Topic Author

Successful Test Flight For Taranis Stealth Drone

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:33 am

Successful test flight for Taranis stealth drone

Taranis, the most advanced aircraft ever built by British engineers, surpassed all expectations during its first flight trials last year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ght-for-Taranis-stealth-drone.html

http://www.baesystems.com/article/BA...epage-rzz&_afrLoop=600172074712000

http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/02/13/n...utenriks/teknologi/drone/31785642/

Drones seem to be the thing these days ...

solarflyer22

RE: Successful Test Flight For Taranis Stealth Drone

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:22 am

I think this could be huge for the UK. If I am not mistaken, the stealth drones are a lot cheaper than a JSF so you are getting premium firepower at less cost to buy or operate (no pilot). The UK is in a odd position because they clearly have some of the best engineers and cutting edge technology. They also have a desire and even need to project power. What they don't have is a lot of money for defense and when I read about their land force troop reductions it was kind of shocking. They will have a really small army in 5 years. The country is not broke but taxes are already high and there just isn't a lot of cash available for the armed forces unfortunately. Drones could really help to give them a great ability to strike at targets without having to pay for JSF or Typhoons. I hope their carriers can launch them down the road.

GDB

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Worth noting that this project has been developed at the same time as a similar French project.
A series of bi national agreements aim to use both these prototypes as the basis of an operational system for both nations, arriving around the middle of the next decade onwards.
Very sensible, it would be absurd for two nations that have very similar requirements, strategic concerns, budgets, economies, to develop two almost identical operational advanced drones.

By the time an operational vehicle emerges, F-35 deliveries will likely be completed.
So it will be a supplement more than a direct replacement, though after 2030 it could replace some Typhoons.

BAE built and flew a system rather like the Predator (in RAF service since 2007), some years ago.
It wasn't intended as an operational system, rather a stepping stone to the Taranis.

While I agree that ground forces cuts might go too far, post Afghanistan a reduction was inevitable.
Treasury led of course but that proposed numbers are also seen as near to the minimum to allow a steady stream of potential transfers to Special Forces units at their current level.
(SF has been an area of expansion in recent years, partly due to increasing the 'semi SF' and support arms for them, to enable the core units to concentrate more on their core capabilities. Such as converting one of the three Parachute Regiment battalions into a more focussed 'Pathfinder' unit).

Worth noting though that traditionally the British Army has been small in relation to the population. Even at the height of 'Pax Britannia' in the late 19th/early 20the centuries.
How all that area of the world was red on the map seems so hard to understand now, but it was.
WW1 changed that, first a call to arms led to the biggest volunteer army ever raised, anywhere.
With the slaughter of that conflict, from 1916 conscription came in. A new experience to the British.

It also came in at the start of WW2, when that ended, just two years after the end, it came in again, such was a massive commitments, not just Imperial, which started to decline some with Indian independence in 1947, also the garrison of occupied Germany and other commitments aimed at stemming Communism.
Greece, then the economy busting Korean war re-arming.

When conscription ended at the end of the 50's/early 60's, in part due to the nuclear deterrent going operational, the army did shrink.
But compared to the historical norm, it stayed large, mainly due to keeping 55,000 heavily mechanised troops in West Germany.

What is happening now is probably where the army would have evolved to had there not been that Cold War commitment, after the final time conscription ended 55 years ago.

Wingtip1005

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Seems that the Taranis is invisible on tests, announced by BAE. Great news for the program! http://airsoc.com/articles/view/id/5...nvisible-during-tests?ev=10&evp=tl
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change

n901wa

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 am

Very Cool. I wonder where it few from. The background looks like the US West. Maybe that's what was flying over Texas  

moo

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Quoting n901wa (Reply 4):
I wonder where it few from

I'm pretty sure the Taranis is being tested in Australia.

GDB

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 5):
I'm pretty sure the Taranis is being tested in Australia.

Yes, the previous prop driven Mantis testbed did the same there.

n901wa

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Very Cool. Thanks for the info moo, and GDB.  

PBNZ

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Looks like Woomera - check out google earth - the runway markings look identical.

Wingtip1005

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:37 am

Quoting moo (Reply 5):
Taranis is being tested in Australia.

Was 'talking' to a guy from BAE he was saying how we could guess where Taranis was testing and what it was doing. All very classified, all he could say was that it flew and it did what it's supposed to do. No doubt that it is testing in Groom Lake, bet this was the flying triangle that confused people.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change

Tugger

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:23 am

Quoting PBNZ (Reply 8):
Looks like Woomera - check out google earth - the runway markings look identical.

Agreed! I am confident it is Woomera too.

Airfield at Woomera, Australia

Tugg

[Edited 2014-07-20 21:31:17]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin