Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bunumuring
Topic Author

Raaf Global Express In MH370 Search?

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 am

Hi all,
I consider this to be a military question specifically regarding the RAAF and thus posted here and not in the lengthy MH370 threads in 'Civil Aviation'.
There were reports in the initial days of the MH370 'southern corridor' search that the RAAF had dedicated two Orions and a Global Express to the search. There was even a report in the Daily Telegraph from a reporter describing the lift off of an Orion from Perth followed by 15 minutes later the Global Express...
Now I know the RAAF has VIP Challengers also made by Bombardier so the question has to be asked: was a Challenger sent in to search, was a Global Express somehow leased or seconded/'donated' to search, or was it a normal 'bizjet' flight somehow mistakenly linked to the MH370 search?
Thanks,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Legs

RE: Raaf Global Express In MH370 Search?

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:14 pm

I'm not aware of the RAAF operating or leasing a Global Express at any point.

Wikipedia lists Malaysia as operating them as a VIP transport, perhaps that was a source of confusion to the media?

queb

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm

bunumuring
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Quoting queb (Reply 2):

maybe it's a RAF's Sentinel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytheon_Sentinel

Hi mate,
Good suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.
Still a bit of a mystery...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

mig21umd

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:39 am

The were also reports that civil private jets were involved in the search. The media did mention a GV but every private jet to them is a Gulfstream so this could have been the private jet they were talking about.

Just a quick side note; years back, ever private jet that was reported on in the media was referred to as a Learjet. now they call them all Gulfstreams.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you long to return

zeke

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am

My guess it was either VH-TXS or VH-WXK, both G-IVs from Revesco based in Perth. The chief pilot there has a history of low level work with Fugro, I would assume he retained many of those approvals.

What I saw reported was they were civil aircraft, loaded with qualified observers. These aircraft would have been tasked by AMSA to assist in the search.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

bunumuring
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses.
I happened to come across a paper version in a recycling bin (don't ask...) of the Daily Telegraph edition in question. It quite clearly states 'an RAAF Bombardier Global Express' took part in the search the previous day alongside two Orions. Not sure how to link from here to the electronic edition however.
I understand that civil biz jets were part of the search and that maybe the reporter mistook one of the above mentioned Gulfstreams as a Global Express...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

zeke

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 6):
It quite clearly states 'an RAAF Bombardier Global Express' took part in the search the previous day alongside two Orions.

The RAAF do not have any global express aircraft, closest they have is the CL-604.

Not all the reports, or even official statements are correct. AMSA had a press release showing the USN had a "P-3 Poseidon" in the search. Today I saw a major US news network saying North Korea are involved in the search and showed a map of Taiwan.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News