Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chuchoteur
Topic Author

Arff Response Times At Military Fields

Mon May 05, 2014 7:15 am

Looking at the Travis Air Force base incident this weekend (Eddie Andreini's Stearman demo, flying inverted to cut the ribbon and settling inverted on the runway before burning), assuming that ARFF are contracted to be anywhere on the airfield within 3 minutes, does it not look like their response time in this instance is abnormally slow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBC0lh46WTY

For an incident that is middle of the centerline, it appears that ARFF equipments have been placed at both ends rather than in the middle, and I was wondering if this is a normal set-up (admittedly incidents middle of centerline at airshows are fairly rare, they tend to be run-offs one side or the other).

BMI727

RE: Arff Response Times At Military Fields

Mon May 05, 2014 7:25 am

Quoting chuchoteur (Thread starter):
Looking at the Travis Air Force base incident this weekend (Eddie Andreini's Stearman demo, flying inverted to cut the ribbon and settling inverted on the runway before burning), assuming that ARFF are contracted to be anywhere on the airfield within 3 minutes, does it not look like their response time in this instance is abnormally slow?

I'm not sure how long it took him to turn the camera on, but it looks like the first firefighting unit gets there at about 1:30. That first pickup truck, which may or may not belong to the fire department, appears to have to wait a moment for clearance across the runway.

At every airshow I've ever been to the fire crews are among the crowd. I am sure they put some thought into contingencies such as this, but for the most part they are 1) at least sort of part of the displays and 2) I suspect they are responsible for some crowd services during the show (dehydrated spectators for example).
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

NBGSkyGod

Mon May 05, 2014 9:18 pm

At every airshow I have ever been to or been a part of, there is always at least 1 truck on standby during and airshow, with the rest of the fire department responding shortly thereafter. The reason for the seemingly long response time I think is mostly due to the size of Travis AFB. So it would take a few moments longer for the trucks to get to the site.

For the day-to-day operations it depends on the base. Some bases have what is called a "monitor" truck. It sits on the field during periods of flight operations, while other bases have their fire trucks remain in the station but ready to go should the alarm ring. In my expierence the response time is usually under well 5 minutes for a no-notice incident from bell to spray at the farthest end of the field.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

chuchoteur
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:08 pm

http://m.ktvu.com/news/news/local/co...t-died-burns-not-impact-cra/ngTKm/

Quote:
According to the Solano County Coroner, Andreini burned to death after the crash.
The Solano County Coroner's spokesman Lieutenant Brad DeWall now says the crash is not what killed him.
"He suffered from severe burns, which caused his death," explained DeWall.
"I'm aware of the controversy surrounding the response of the fire units. Really, all I can say is from our perspective, examining the autopsy, he died because of the significant burns," said DeWall.