Devilfish
Topic Author

Rsaf F-5 Tiger Fighters For Sale

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:43 am

Here's a rare chance for countries wanting to supplement their fleets with some well-maintained examples.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...s-f_5-fleet-via-classified-ad.html

Quote:
"PARIS --- The Royal Saudi Air Force has taken out a classified advertisement on the AvBuyer website to advertise the sale of its remaining inventory of 79 Northrop F-5E Tiger II lightweight fighters.

The ad sets no price, but instead asks interested parties to make an offer. It specifies that the 'Invitation to Tender to include 2% bank guarantee of the actual bid value of the tender to be sent in a sealed envelope to the address below. The opening date for all envelopes will be on the 20th Feb 2015'."

http://www.avbuyer.com/aircraft-for-...-Aircraft-for-sale-36548.200.1.jpg

A spot of Elbit updates could make these fighters relevant for quite a while yet. Smaller nations could even stand up a complete fighter force with these F-5s.

Only wish they were available earlier.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Ozair

RE: Rsaf F-5 Tiger Fighters For Sale

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:06 am

Quoting Devilfish (Thread starter):
A spot of Elbit updates could make these fighters relevant for quite a while yet. Smaller nations could even stand up a complete fighter force with these F-5s.

Why would you invest in an F-5 now? Given the Saudi's aren't selling to the Iranians anytime soon I can't think of a buyer who would be interested and certainly not in the quantity we are talking about here.

The alternative is the thousand or so F-16s sitting in the desert that would offer significantly better capability at a similar price.

ssteve

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:13 am

I see these going to NetJets   

Devilfish
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:04 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 1):
Why would you invest in an F-5 now?

Why not?

Quoting Ozair (Reply 1):
I can't think of a buyer who would be interested and certainly not in the quantity we are talking about here.

A few countries in South America and former CIS states come to mind. Obviously, those who could be in the market for these wouldn't be looking at acquiring the whole lot.

Quoting Ozair (Reply 1):
The alternative is the thousand or so F-16s sitting in the desert that would offer significantly better capability at a similar price.

I doubt that "similar price" a lot...otherwise, we would've already seen plenty of air forces converting their entire fighter fleets to used Falcons.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Ozair

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:02 am

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 3):
Why not?

Because it is a 50 year old design that has limited maneuverability, a short range and a limited payload. The global fleet of aircraft is diminishing every year and parts remain hard to acquire due to US sanctions against Iran.

I doubt that "similar price" a lot...otherwise, we would've already seen plenty of air forces converting their entire fighter fleets to used Falcons.

Other than the fact that the F-16 remains in production and is in service or entering service with 25 nations. If I took the time to get the numbers you would find more Air Forces have converted or acquired used F-16s than F-5s.

A few countries in South America and former CIS states come to mind.

It is all well and good to claim a small nation can purchase an F-5 to gain a capability but completely ignore the requirement to support that platform 15 years from now when no one else is operating it. It would be simply throwing good money after bad.

While an upgraded F-16A will be significantly more capable than any F-5 variant anywhere in the world I concede the F-5 would probably be cheaper to upgrade, BUT, if you plan on operating either aircraft for more than 10 years or actually plan to use them in combat then there is no doubt which would be better value.

mechatnew

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:06 pm

The USMC is looking to buy some more to form a second adversary squadron.

Venus6971

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting mechatnew (Reply 5):

And also the USN to retire older frames for their aggressor sq's, they already purchased some from the Swiss. Do the RSAF versions have antiskid?
I would help you but it is not in the contract

Spacepope

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:23 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 4):

I fully expect Kenya to pick up up to a dozen. Could be good top ups for Jordan and Morocco too. They'll go to existing operators, I don't see a new customer for the type.
The last of the famous international playboys

mechatnew

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:04 pm

I think that Jordan has retired there F-5 fleet. Some were sold to Brazil to be updated to F-5M standards.

Ozair

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting mechatnew (Reply 8):
I think that Jordan has retired there F-5 fleet.
Quoting Spacepope (Reply 7):
Could be good top ups for Jordan and Morocco too.

I'm not sure about Jordan but it would make more sense for Morocco to standardize around the F-16, given they have acquired 24 C models from 2011 and plan on flying the F-16 for the next 30 years.

rlwynn

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Croatia could have used them.
I can drive faster than you

mig21umd

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 am

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 10):
Croatia could have used them.

I'd rather Croatian took up the offer for 20 or so ex German Phantoms, that would have been really cool.

Not sure if the F-5 has that much of a capability boost compared to the humble Mig-21. Croatia should have about 12 of these recently overhauled available to the airforce so I don't think the F-5 would suit current CroAF needs.

Once the economy shows a few years of growth, then I think it would give the government the confidence in finally replacing the Mig-21's with a more modern 4th or 5th generation fighter.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eddy Mestrovic - CroSpotterTeam

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you long to return

tommy1808

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:40 am

Quoting mig21umd (Reply 11):

Not sure if the F-5 has that much of a capability boost compared to the humble Mig-21.

Much better Radar and can fire AMRAAMs, so probably a real improvement.

best regards
Thomas
....the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero

mig21umd

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 12):

Yep, That's a decent improvement.

In saying that, not sure if this is what Croatia needs right now. The CroAF Mig-21 fleet is only really kept active to keep the fighter doctrine alive in the air force. This seems to be a capability Croatia doesn't want to lose even though they can not afford to purchase or operate modern fighters at this time.

Of course armed Mig -21s are also kept ready at Zagreb for rapid reaction duties but only armed with R-60's (Not Amraams)  
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Lofting

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you long to return

Ozair

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:14 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 12):

The Saudi F-5s would need an upgrade to get to that point though. If you were paying for that you could also pay for a MiG-21 upgrade to Bison with R-77.*

*Note, I am not advocating upgrading a MiG-21 over an F-5, just that a similar upgrade path is available.

RJAF

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Quoting mechatnew (Reply 8):

The RJAF is still flying the venerable F-5E/F (I believe around 30+ left). Yes, Jordan could use the Saudi F-5s to replace older airframes.
Chance favors the prepared mind