Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gabo787
Topic Author

Argentina To Get JF-17 Thunder?

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:59 pm

According to the Daily Express (I know) during its recent visit to China the Argentinian president agreed to buy around 20 Chengdu JF-17 fighters.
I know that the source of the news is not the best but it might not be wrong given that Argentina have signed several economic agreements with China during the last couple of years.
Still I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/558...tina-falkland-islands-fighter-jets

Scruffer

RE: Argentina To Get JF-17 Thunder?

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:24 am

This is the 3rd or 4th different aircraft I have seen them buying in the last two months. I will believe it when I see it.

ThePointblank

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:30 am

Quoting Scruffer (Reply 1):
This is the 3rd or 4th different aircraft I have seen them buying in the last two months. I will believe it when I see it.

Yup. First it was Spanish Mirages, then Israeli Kfirs, Brazilian-built Gripens, Russian Su-24's, and now this.

Argentina is effectively bankrupt as it is, and cannot afford new fighters.

11Bravo

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 2):
Yup. First it was Spanish Mirages, then Israeli Kfirs, Brazilian-built Gripens, Russian Su-24's, and now this.

Perhaps some old MiG-21s from North Korea will be next. It's a little hard to take this very seriously.
WhaleJets Rule!

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:45 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 3):

Perhaps some old MiG-21s from North Korea will be next. It's a little hard to take this very seriously.

I would take this one as the most serious, Argentina have recently signed up for Chinese built Corvettes.

http://en.mercopress.com/2015/02/05/...inas-class-offshore-patrol-vessels

gabo787
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 am

Is now on Janes although is in the preliminary stages and it says it for 14 jets. It might be real this time.

http://www.janes.com/article/48726/a...ree-fighter-aircraft-working-group

alberchico

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:18 am

Considering that China is desperate to find an export customer for the jet and is likely to provide very favorable financing, it makes a lot of sense

http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/jf17_thunder_l7.jpg
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

ThePointblank

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:13 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 6):
Considering that China is desperate to find an export customer for the jet and is likely to provide very favorable financing, it makes a lot of sense

In the end, the Chinese are businessmen, and will look at Argentina's lack of willingness to pay foreign debtors as a big warning sign, unless the Chinese feel like giving stuff away for free.

Ozair

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:10 am

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 7):

In the end, the Chinese are businessmen, and will look at Argentina's lack of willingness to pay foreign debtors as a big warning sign, unless the Chinese feel like giving stuff away for free.

Despite the Russians offering the Su-24s, do we know if the Argentinians actually want an aircraft that isn't western? The FC-1/JF-17 still uses a Russian engine and Chinese radar and missiles, very different to the French and American aircraft and systems they have used up to now.

I'm not knocking the aircraft, for what they would pay for it I think it is very capable and would suit their needs. It would though, as I said with the Su-24s, require a change of mindset on maintenance and operation.

bennett123

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:16 am

If Argentina uses Chinese equipment to start a new Falklands War, I wonder what would be the impact on UK/China, and wider EU/China relations.

gabo787
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:17 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 9):
If Argentina uses Chinese equipment to start a new Falklands War, I wonder what would be the impact on UK/China, and wider EU/China relations.

I don't know why everybody thinks that Argentina wants the planes to start another war with the UK. Yes their president always use the Malvinas/Falklands issue as a way to deviate attention from internal problems in the country, but even with 20 new planes the Argentinian military and in no condition to invade let alone sustain an armed conflict with anyone. I truly believe that they just want/need to modernize their AF.
Although the Argentinian Skyhawks avionics were last updated in the late 90's they are still very old planes. Do they have enough money to maintain a modern fighter? Well....That's the real question.

Kiwirob

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:54 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 8):
Despite the Russians offering the Su-24s, do we know if the Argentinians actually want an aircraft that isn't western?

It's makes more sense for them to operate non Western types, it means if they do get into another war with the UK they will still be able to count on resupply from China or Russia, not something they could count on if they went Western.