Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Redd
Topic Author

Old Fighters Still In Serviceable Condition

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:19 pm

I was looking at some pictures of the F-14 and got to wondering if the USAF still have airworthy examples for some special use. I know they were retired in 2006, but does the Air Force still keep a flying example(s) for show or some special missions?

Also, does any other air force keep some of the their old fighters in flying condition for displays/airshows? I'm pretty sure Sweden keeps some old Saab's still flying? Would be interesting to see a list of retired from service but still flying aircraft operated by the services still.

TheSonntag

RE: Old Fighters Still In Serviceable Condition

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Quoting Redd (Thread starter):

Not so much the F-14 because those were kept rather restricitive to prevent Iran getting spare parts. But the US had many F-4 Phantoms in use, and continue to keep some until this year in drone and target aircraft service.

RetiredWeasel

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Quoting Redd (Thread starter):
I was looking at some pictures of the F-14 and got to wondering if the USAF still have airworthy examples for some special use

USAF never flew F-14s, so you'd want to direct that question towards the US Navy. And as far as I know, none are flyable by any US military. You'd have to go to Iran to see one flying.

The USAF is still using F-4 Phantoms as target drones and and least 2 of them were painted with historical colors and flown to a few airshows. However they are being replaced with F-16 drones, so they will disappear probably this year.

Other than those, you'd have to find some private ownership guy that has the money and keeps one in flying condition.

Woodreau

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Quoting RetiredWeasel (Reply 2):
The USAF is still using F-4 Phantoms as target drones and and least 2 of them were painted with historical colors and flown to a few airshows.

I helped reduce the flyable F-4 inventory by 1 by shooting down a QF-4 drone with a SM-2 surface to air missile.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

ssteve

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Quoting Woodreau (Reply 3):
I helped reduce the flyable F-4 inventory by 1 by shooting down a QF-4 drone with a SM-2 surface to air missile.

It must be embarrassing if you miss...

HaveBlue

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 pm

The US Navy operated the F-14 Tomcat, and after their retirement the Government ordered the F-14's shredded to prevent parts getting to Iran, the only other operator of the 14.

That is both awesome and tragic at the same time! Had to be cool to shoot down a plane, but destroying a Phantom would make me weep.  

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 am

Noooo...  
Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 5):
The US Navy operated the F-14 Tomcat, and after their retirement the Government ordered the F-14's shredded to prevent parts getting to Iran, the only other operator of the 14.

Seems like the F-14 is still pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty much dangerous. I read the F-14 had a superb radar suite for its time, and also quite a range. Was that reason enough to get paranoid about spare parts? Given the distance between Iran and Israel, Iran can't send an armada of F-14 to meaningfully attack the latter country, and the Israeli air defense would readily deal with a bunch of F-14.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

HaveBlue

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:21 am

The F-14 could track 24 targets at once, and fire 6 Phoenix missiles simultaneously at them, and at a range of over 100 miles. Not that it would ever do that in practice with the ROE's in place, but it could!

Woodreau

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:43 am

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 4):
It must be embarrassing if you miss...
That is both awesome and tragic at the same time! Had to be cool to shoot down a plane, but destroying a Phantom would make me weep.
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 6):
Noooo...

It would be embarrassing to miss.

I kind of had a similar reaction, to be honest. In live fire missile exercises, telemetry SM's are normally used, so the drone is spared destruction, and successful intercepts are determined from the data the telemetry birds send back.

In my particular case, one of the telemetry birds failed to transition after launch, so we had to redo the intercept exercise, only we didn't have any more telemetry SMs left to shoot. So we had to get type commander approval to use a warshot in order to complete the exercise. It was either that or return to port to get another telemetry bird loaded.

So to make a long story short, we got approval for the warshot, the drone came in again and I got to have one airplane silhouette painted onto the side of the ship.

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 7):
The F-14 could track 24 targets at once, and fire 6 Phoenix missiles simultaneously at them, and at a range of over 100 miles. Not that it would ever do that in practice with the ROE's in place, but it could!

From my end I could track 1280 targets simultaneously and conduct 32 simultaneous missile engagements in addition to controlling the engagement of the 6 Phoenixes on 2 F-14s through the TADIL C datalink - so 44 (my 32 and the two F-14's 6 each) simultaneous missile engagements.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

studedave

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:01 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 6):
Was that reason enough to get paranoid about spare parts?

I seem to recall some folks from Miramar's Supply Department getting caught trying to sell parts to Iran.
That may have played into the decision, no?

StudeDave
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

n92r03

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Quoting studedave (Reply 9):
I seem to recall some folks from Miramar's Supply Department getting caught trying to sell parts to Iran.

Having worked under the departure route of Miramar in the mid-90's, the F-14's have been a favorite of mine. Too bad to hear of this if true, but can understand the paranoia then.

Thank you of the clear/concise info, I have been wondering why no F-14's did the air show circuit. I did not realize they were shredded.

RetiredWeasel

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 am

Quoting n92r03 (Reply 10):
Thank you of the clear/concise info, I have been wondering why no F-14's did the air show circuit. I did not realize they were shredded.

Actually I count 5 full F-14 air frames still sitting in the Davis-Monthan grave yard. It's a Google aerial shot that's dated 2015. However the military would have no interest in maintaining one in flying condition just for nostalgia. Like I and other posters have said, the only reason they occasionally fly an F-4 into an airshow is because the F-4 is still operational as a drone and that squadron needs pilots to evaluate and test the conversion process.

chuchoteur

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:13 am

The Royal Air Force maintains the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight with a Lancaster, a Dakota, and several Spitfires and hurricanes. The Royal Navy has a collection of swordfish and sea fury aircraft also...

jetwet1

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:44 am

There is always Capetown Jets, they have a Lightning, Buccaneer and Hunter you can fly in.

n901wa

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 pm

I was reading AirForces Monthly, and in the Jan issue on the top of page 32 has a story about N. Korea Mig-15 still in service.

redflyer

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Quoting n901wa (Reply 14):
I was reading AirForces Monthly, and in the Jan issue on the top of page 32 has a story about N. Korea Mig-15 still in service.

There are a myriad of photos on line of the Dear Leader inspecting his air staff and inventory, which includes the venerable MiG 15.

http://theaviationist.com/2014/11/28/kim-jong-un-mig-15-female/
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

TheSonntag

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting redflyer (Reply 15):
There are a myriad of photos on line of the Dear Leader inspecting his air staff and inventory, which includes the venerable MiG 15.

I guess South Korea needs new F-22s at once to counter this threat.

litz

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Kinda reminds me of a discussion back when "The Final Countdown" came out ... a F-14 pilot was asked how exactly he would take out a Zero ... guns? missile? ... his reply : "I'd just do a high speed pass and watch his wings snap off"