Alsatian
Topic Author

Qatar To Purchase 36 Rafale

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:35 am

Ozair

RE: Qatar To Purchase 36 Rafale

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:03 am

Quoting Alsatian (Thread starter):
According to RTL, 24 firm order and 12 options.

Its a good order for Qatar. Probably the ideal aircraft for them and allows them to increase the already strong co-operation they have with the French. Does the article say anything about delivery time frame or even a specific model? I assume unlike India they want the F3R.

Alsatian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:24 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 1):
Does the article say anything about delivery time frame or even a specific model?

No more details in this article, waiting for some more news quicky  

neutronstar73

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:50 am

Good buy by Qatar. Fantastic jet that is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Alfons

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 am

One question here; Is the US willing to sell the F-35 to any ME country as long as they have the cash, or are there written policies to which ones the US would sell, and which one not? the F-35 being a first usable fifth generation aircraft and therefore half a generation higher than a Rafale or Typhoon (whatever it means in a real-life situation), why wouldn't an ME country which has lots of cash, just simply buy the best product (on paper)?

Thank you for any insights (about the US export politic).

Alfons

sebolino

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:06 pm

What the hell is happening ?
The Rafale was just an expensive loser for years, and now in just 4 months we got 3 customers.

columba

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Didn´t they also order the Eurofighter ?
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

jouy31

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:43 pm

I don't believe Qatar has purchased the Eurofighter, ever. Unless I am mistaken, the export customers were Saudi Arabia, Austria and Oman.

jouy31

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:32 pm

The firm order is for 6 twin-seaters and 18 single-seaters to be delivered from mid-2018, at a rate of one aircraft per month over a period of two years. The deal also includes air to air missiles as well as cruise missiles, and training for pilots and technicians.

According to Eric Trappier, Dassault Aviation's CEO, Qatar has an option for an additional 12 aircraft.

[Edited 2015-04-30 13:50:05]

angad84

Mon May 04, 2015 12:25 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...qatar-rafale-idUSKBN0NP0OE20150504

Deal signed — 24 aircraft, a bunch of missiles and aircrew and technician training for $7 billion.

Cheers
Angad

Ozair

Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 9):
Deal signed — 24 aircraft, a bunch of missiles and aircrew and technician training for $7 billion.

Kudos to the Dassault negotiating team, that is an impressive price!!!

ThePointblank

Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 am

Quoting Alfons (Reply 4):
One question here; Is the US willing to sell the F-35 to any ME country as long as they have the cash, or are there written policies to which ones the US would sell, and which one not? the F-35 being a first usable fifth generation aircraft and therefore half a generation higher than a Rafale or Typhoon (whatever it means in a real-life situation), why wouldn't an ME country which has lots of cash, just simply buy the best product (on paper)?

Typically, the US will release a fighter jet to Arab nations roughly 5 years after the Israeli's get an opportunity to buy it and bring it in service.

As of right now, none of the Arab Middle East nations have access to F-35. But they will probably get a chance down the line.

angad84

Tue May 05, 2015 7:13 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 10):
Kudos to the Dassault negotiating team, that is an impressive price!!!

Interesting that Egypt paid about a billion dollars less and got the same number of aircraft plus a FREMM frigate! Even if we assume that Egypt's weapons portion of the deal was miniscule compared to Qatar (and there is no real reason to do so), that's a pretty insane price difference considering a single FREMM costs somewhere in the region of $500 million.

Cheers
A

Ozair

Tue May 05, 2015 9:32 am

Quoting angad84 (Reply 12):
that's a pretty insane price difference considering a single FREMM costs somewhere in the region of $500 million.

You would think a second hand frigate would come cheaper as well...  
Quoting angad84 (Reply 12):
Interesting that Egypt paid about a billion dollars less and got the same number of aircraft plus a FREMM frigate! Even if we assume that Egypt's weapons portion of the deal was miniscule compared to Qatar (and there is no real reason to do so), that's a pretty insane price

No doubt Qatar will buy more munitions, that seems to be the Arab way especially if some of the Saudi munitions purchases are anything to go by. Apparently it also includes 36 pilots and 100 technicians being trained.

The devil is always in the details though as I read today there are some interesting additional non military benefits to Qatar. One of the interesting ones is the opening of two French airports to Qatar airways. Apparently Qatar only fly to Paris but will get access to Nice and Lyon as part of the deal. Not that we will ever see the final contract but it would be interesting to know what other little things are included, it certainly shows what Qatar is willing to pay for greater access into Europe for the national airline.

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 11):
Typically, the US will release a fighter jet to Arab nations roughly 5 years after the Israeli's get an opportunity to buy it and bring it in service.

As of right now, none of the Arab Middle East nations have access to F-35. But they will probably get a chance down the line.

Its an interesting position. While the Israelis get early access if we look at the current equipment, notwithstanding Israeli modifications that we don't know about, Saudi Arabia fly a more modern version of the F-15 and the UAE fly a more modern version of the F-16.

angad84

Tue May 05, 2015 10:27 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 13):

I don't follow... ?

They're apparently getting the Normandie, which is still a DCNS ship (undergoing fitting out and not yet transferred to the French Navy). That's not second hand.

The devil is always in the details though as I read today there are some interesting additional non military benefits to Qatar.

I read something about satellite launches but I cannot locate the blasted article any more or find any sources.

Saudi Arabia fly a more modern version of the F-15 and the UAE fly a more modern version of the F-16.

I've always thought that was funny, for the same reason. Then again, doesn't Israel get the aircraft at subsidized rates?

Cheers
A

Kiwirob

Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 am

Normandie hasn't been commissioned, she's still fitting out. Plus they bought 2 FREMM.

Ozair

Tue May 05, 2015 10:51 am

Quoting angad84 (Reply 14):
I don't follow... ?

They're apparently getting the Normandie, which is still a DCNS ship (undergoing fitting out and not yet transferred to the French Navy). That's not second hand.
Quoting kiwirob (Reply 15):

Normandie hasn't been commissioned, she's still fitting out.

My mistake, I thought they were getting an existing French ship already in service.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 15):
Plus they bought 2 FREMM.

Looks like they opted for only a single hull.

According to sources, however, Egypt will not be taking forward plans to buy a second FREMM.
http://www.janes.com/article/49163/egypt-to-acquire-fremm-frigate

Quoting angad84 (Reply 14):
Then again, doesn't Israel get the aircraft at subsidized rates?

Military aid. How they choose to take that aid is largely up to them. Still ends up being sold by the manufacturers to the US government at a profit.