User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26394
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm

wingman wrote:
Dense question, what exactly is this Hopper for? The name seems obvious but I'll be damed if I can understand how you'd ever tank enough fuel to do more than one take-off.


It's a prototype platform to test the Raptor engine that will be used on the Starship rocket designed for Moon and Mars missions.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 9407
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm

memphiX wrote:
short version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZcQWf0YaCg

No wonder why people hate Musk so much, he makes it look easy.
Do you want space flights? Here is the EZ button.

Thanks for posting! Good video (as it should be since it was SpaceX drone footage without clouds of dust in the way). You can see the missing leg panel that I assume to be what flew off at the end of the Everyday Astronaut footage that they commented about.

wingman wrote:
Dense question, what exactly is this Hopper for? The name seems obvious but I'll be damed if I can understand how you'd ever tank enough fuel to do more than one take-off.

This is to test the brand new Raptor engine they have been developing the last couple years.

I did a quick search and though it includes the Blue Origin BE-4 this is a good comparison of the Merlin vs the Raptor.
Image

Still a long way to go but a good start.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
wingman
Posts: 3775
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:22 pm

Thank you both. So fair to say that the test is primarily about the landing functionality or do they intend to lift off once on the Moon or Mars and then travel to another location, say from one valley to another or one pole to another? Maybe I should look it up. If they do intend to move once on station it seems like it would be easier to use a more proven vehicle like a rover. Or maybe the idea is they could travel a massive distance on Mars in one flight that would take a rover 6 years to travel. And eventually refuel if they had an established base with regular supply missions from Earth. Whatever the intent is it's all pretty surreal.
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:40 pm

A screen capture from my roof. Waited a long time for that ugly little spud to fly.
Image
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:17 pm

wingman wrote:
Thank you both. So fair to say that the test is primarily about the landing functionality or do they intend to lift off once on the Moon or Mars and then travel to another location, say from one valley to another or one pole to another? Maybe I should look it up. If they do intend to move once on station it seems like it would be easier to use a more proven vehicle like a rover. Or maybe the idea is they could travel a massive distance on Mars in one flight that would take a rover 6 years to travel. And eventually refuel if they had an established base with regular supply missions from Earth. Whatever the intent is it's all pretty surreal.

SpaceX has produced some videos - with great visuals - about their future missions. You should watch them.
The point is to achieve reusability of large rockets. This is useful for both cheaper launches from earth as well as return missions to Moon or Mars. Also, landing on Moon or Mars requires rocket assistance, so the ability to land like this is required anyway.
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 938
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:21 pm

wingman wrote:
Dense question, what exactly is this Hopper for? The name seems obvious but I'll be damed if I can understand how you'd ever tank enough fuel to do more than one take-off.


It's a prototype for testing the general setup. They did the same when developing the landing capability of the Falcon 9 booster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDkItO-0a4

Hopper allows them to test the new engine and control systems in the real world without needing to build a full production version. It will now be disassembled as it's served its purpose. Next flight will be a full developmental version of Starship doing suborbital hops.
 
DarkKnight5
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 am

wingman wrote:
Dense question, what exactly is this Hopper for? The name seems obvious but I'll be damed if I can understand how you'd ever tank enough fuel to do more than one take-off.


It’s for testing the engine and the engine mount, as well as all the guidance computers and other stuff. But for the most part, it’s for working out the kinks in a very very very complex engine. It’s a test article not meant to do anything but gather data for later versions designed to carry payloads.

I would have liked to have seen it’s max performance as a fan of KSP, so it would have been fun to see it shot out into the water but I suppose it’s more useful this way.
 
DarkKnight5
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:35 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
wingman wrote:
Dense question, what exactly is this Hopper for? The name seems obvious but I'll be damed if I can understand how you'd ever tank enough fuel to do more than one take-off.


It's a prototype for testing the general setup. They did the same when developing the landing capability of the Falcon 9 booster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDkItO-0a4

Hopper allows them to test the new engine and control systems in the real world without needing to build a full production version. It will now be disassembled as it's served its purpose. Next flight will be a full developmental version of Starship doing suborbital hops.

Actual they’re going to turn it into a Raptor test stand by fixing it to the ground.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4899
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:34 pm

There's already people out there speculating that something might have gone wrong with the raptor engine towards the end as the exhaust could be seen turning bright yellow, not a color you're supposed to get when burning methane...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 9407
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Francoflier wrote:
There's already people out there speculating that something might have gone wrong with the raptor engine towards the end as the exhaust could be seen turning bright yellow, not a color you're supposed to get when burning methane...

I dunno, I don't think it is a problem per se. I have seen that before in the other tests of the Raptor at the end of the run (the flameout?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAAzbjG_Duc

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
DarkKnight5
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:23 am

Francoflier wrote:
There's already people out there speculating that something might have gone wrong with the raptor engine towards the end as the exhaust could be seen turning bright yellow, not a color you're supposed to get when burning methane...


The plume also seemed yellow while close to the ground on liftoff. I think it has more to do with the shape of the plume as it’s affected by the exhaust being forced out perpendicular to the direction it left the engine. That’s pure speculation but since the color is the same at liftoff and landing, I think it’s reasonable.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 am

DarkKnight5 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
There's already people out there speculating that something might have gone wrong with the raptor engine towards the end as the exhaust could be seen turning bright yellow, not a color you're supposed to get when burning methane...


The plume also seemed yellow while close to the ground on liftoff. I think it has more to do with the shape of the plume as it’s affected by the exhaust being forced out perpendicular to the direction it left the engine. That’s pure speculation but since the color is the same at liftoff and landing, I think it’s reasonable.

Could also be related to high thrust settings. Landing requires more thrust than hovering, and you can see the plume turn yellow as the hopper starts to decelerate.
It might be unburnt methane. Methane flames do turn yellow-orange in a fuel rich environment. As Methane is lighter than Oxygen, a slightly fuel rich mixture would also make sense for optimum efficiency.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4899
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:37 am

mxaxai wrote:
DarkKnight5 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
There's already people out there speculating that something might have gone wrong with the raptor engine towards the end as the exhaust could be seen turning bright yellow, not a color you're supposed to get when burning methane...


The plume also seemed yellow while close to the ground on liftoff. I think it has more to do with the shape of the plume as it’s affected by the exhaust being forced out perpendicular to the direction it left the engine. That’s pure speculation but since the color is the same at liftoff and landing, I think it’s reasonable.

Could also be related to high thrust settings. Landing requires more thrust than hovering, and you can see the plume turn yellow as the hopper starts to decelerate.
It might be unburnt methane. Methane flames do turn yellow-orange in a fuel rich environment. As Methane is lighter than Oxygen, a slightly fuel rich mixture would also make sense for optimum efficiency.


The exhaust looked quite 'normal' on lift-off with the usual relatively colorless aspect of an optimum methane/oxygen ratio and its characteristic Mach diamonds. It only goes yellow towards the end, and suddenly so.
In this particular instance, landing doesn't require more thrust than going up or hovering as there is little deceleration to do. By that stage, the hopper would have been lighter as most of the fuel and oxygen would have been burned and they would have had to throttle the engine to a lower setting. I also believe, as proposed above, that the lower thrust likely probably calls for a different fuel/oxygen mixture due to the particularities of the close-cycle setup. They might need to keep it rich at low thrust for cooling or other intrinsic limitation of the design.

At least I hope, as one of the possibilities would be the engine starting to eat itself from the inside :scared: ...


There's also the apparently heavier than intended landing and the tank that came flying off after said landing. Although given the rather (almost literally) agricultural nature of that test article and its disposable design, that may be within the 'semi-intended' consequences.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 pm

A comment on youtube: "A Texas water tower built in an open field in a few months officially has more flights under its belt than SLS."

I love it how SpaceX is also playing it for the devout international community of space geeks.

On September 28, Elon commented on Twitter that they plan for a Starship 20 km test, and for a Starship orbital attempt "shortly thereafter."

Does anybody know how they're transporting the F9 rokkits from McGregor to Cape Canaveral/Vandenberg? By ship, or truck?
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 938
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
A comment on youtube: "A Texas water tower built in an open field in a few months officially has more flights under its belt than SLS."

I love it how SpaceX is also playing it for the devout international community of space geeks.

On September 28, Elon commented on Twitter that they plan for a Starship 20 km test, and for a Starship orbital attempt "shortly thereafter."

Does anybody know how they're transporting the F9 rokkits from McGregor to Cape Canaveral/Vandenberg? By ship, or truck?


Truck. From memory the transport method puts some constraints on just how big the Falcon 9 can be.

And don't forget they're built in California. So California -> Texas -> Florida or back to California.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Does anybody know how they're transporting the F9 rokkits from McGregor to Cape Canaveral/Vandenberg? By ship, or truck?


Selfmoving on their own flame obviously :-)
Murphy is an optimist
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 938
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 pm

WIederling wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Does anybody know how they're transporting the F9 rokkits from McGregor to Cape Canaveral/Vandenberg? By ship, or truck?


Selfmoving on their own flame obviously :-)


From memory that was honestly the idea when they first proposed Starship and SuperHeavy as they were planning to build them at or near their California facility.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
WIederling wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Does anybody know how they're transporting the F9 rokkits from McGregor to Cape Canaveral/Vandenberg? By ship, or truck?


Selfmoving on their own flame obviously :-)


From memory that was honestly the idea when they first proposed Starship and SuperHeavy as they were planning to build them at or near their California facility.


:eyepopping: :eyepopping: :eyepopping:

In other news: SpaceX apparently didn't get messages from ESA, which forced ESA to adjust the orbit of its Aeolus weather satellite in order not to bump into a swarm of Elon's pizza boxes.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... _messages/
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:27 am

flyingturtle wrote:
In other news: SpaceX apparently didn't get messages from ESA, which forced ESA to adjust the orbit of its Aeolus weather satellite in order not to bump into a swarm of Elon's pizza boxes.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... _messages/

Aeolus has a very low orbit (320 km), so anything reentering from higher orbits will inevitably cross its path. However, this also means that the 'pizza box' - depending on its ballistic coefficient - will reenter within weeks, or a few months at most. Considering that the orbit decayed from 440 km already, the 'box' likely doesn't have much delta-v left. Its total lifespan will be less than one year ...
 
Oroka
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:37 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:33 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
In other news: SpaceX apparently didn't get messages from ESA, which forced ESA to adjust the orbit of its Aeolus weather satellite in order not to bump into a swarm of Elon's pizza boxes.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... _messages/



Its only news because SpaceX was involved. Anyone mentioning how ESA has to re position satellites 28 times in 2018?
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Oroka wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
In other news: SpaceX apparently didn't get messages from ESA, which forced ESA to adjust the orbit of its Aeolus weather satellite in order not to bump into a swarm of Elon's pizza boxes.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... _messages/



Its only news because SpaceX was involved. Anyone mentioning how ESA has to re position satellites 28 times in 2018?


It's also news because the pizza boxes are supposed to autonomously change orbits.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:37 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Oroka wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
In other news: SpaceX apparently didn't get messages from ESA, which forced ESA to adjust the orbit of its Aeolus weather satellite in order not to bump into a swarm of Elon's pizza boxes.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... _messages/



Its only news because SpaceX was involved. Anyone mentioning how ESA has to re position satellites 28 times in 2018?


It's also news because the pizza boxes are supposed to autonomously change orbits.


change orbit and those half bitten boxes follow you. Mist!.
Murphy is an optimist
 
HaveBlue
Posts: 2154
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:01 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:43 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Could also be related to high thrust settings. Landing requires more thrust than hovering


Hovering would require more thrust than landing, its heavier at that point and is totally negating the force of gravity whereas on landing it is just partially doing so, right?
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 9407
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:51 pm

HaveBlue wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
Could also be related to high thrust settings. Landing requires more thrust than hovering


Hovering would require more thrust than landing, its heavier at that point and is totally negating the force of gravity whereas on landing it is just partially doing so, right?

Well, at touchdown, the booster is technically at a "hover" point as it has terminated all downward momentum (the landing legs really are not intended to absorb any of this momentum, just the resting weight of the booster after flight termination). But of course it then stops all trust at that exact moment thereby not requiring "more trust" than active hovering.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Tugger wrote:
HaveBlue wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
Could also be related to high thrust settings. Landing requires more thrust than hovering


Hovering would require more thrust than landing, its heavier at that point and is totally negating the force of gravity whereas on landing it is just partially doing so, right?

Well, at touchdown, the booster is technically at a "hover" point as it has terminated all downward momentum (the landing legs really are not intended to absorb any of this momentum, just the resting weight of the booster after flight termination). But of course it then stops all trust at that exact moment thereby not requiring "more trust" than active hovering.

Tugg

Don't forget the fuel burn rate. The rocket has to continuously reduce thrust to hover or it would rise as the fuel is burnt. It has to keep reducing thrust as it lands. Even though it's downward acceleration slows, the reducing weight of the fuel counteracts the need for more thrust at the final moment. This thing isn't doing a suicide hoverslam like a Falcon booster. It was suppose to make a gentle landing.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 9407
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Interesting... it appears SpaceX is working to buy up/out the whole of Boca Chica Village:
according to interviews with residents and a proprietary offer letter obtained by Business Insider, SpaceX is trying to buy as much of Boca Chica Village as it can and move people out.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex- ... ers-2019-9

And no surprise, there are residents who don't want to accept the offer.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am

As the fins are mounted to Starship Mk1, we see a design change: Instead of three "leg fins", the fins and legs are separated. Supposedly, it's lighter that way.

The only the dorsal fin will serve both as fin + leg.

https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal/status ... -update%2F

In another news, three raptor engines have been installed on the Starship Mk1.

The next presentation by Elon Musk, Spaceman Extraordinaire, will be held on Saturday, September 28th. I'm excited.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:54 am

flyingturtle wrote:
In another news, three raptor engines have been installed on the Starship Mk1.

The next presentation by Elon Musk, Spaceman Extraordinaire, will be held on Saturday, September 28th. I'm excited.


Still has all the looks of a cheap movie prop :-)
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:44 am

WIederling wrote:
Still has all the looks of a cheap movie prop :-)



Naaah. Do not ignore the fact that every part was professionally sourced.

Image
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 9407
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:04 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
As the fins are mounted to Starship Mk1, we see a design change: Instead of three "leg fins", the fins and legs are separated. Supposedly, it's lighter that way.

The only the dorsal fin will serve both as fin + leg.

Yeah, I can imagine it is far easier and more straightforward (lighter) to make just a leg versus creating one in a moving surface and having to strengthen that part to handle the load of both flight and landing/standing.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
memphiX
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:43 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Still has all the looks of a cheap movie prop :-)



Naaah. Do not ignore the fact that every part was professionally sourced.



looks like Musk has found enough scrap metal to build the ship, still trying to figure out his source of duct tape.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:41 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Still has all the looks of a cheap movie prop :-)



Naaah. Do not ignore the fact that every part was professionally sourced.


do you think Movie studios let themselves get screwed over at Home Depot?

flyingturtle wrote:
Image


increasingly this looks very much like the scavenger cultures that The Empire presents in Star Wars.
When will we see V2 parts reused on SpaceX vehicles? :-))
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Finally one piece.

Image
Image
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Spaceman Extraordinare will hold his press conference on the Starship in about 4 hours (about 19:30 New York Time): https://www.spacex.com/webcast
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:56 am

A shurt sommary of the plans:

- a 20 km flight within 1-2 months with the Starship Mk 1
- Starship in orbit within a year
- Starships - laden with passengers, freight or fuel - will mate back-to-back in orbit, to transfer fuel
- BFR (the booster) will feature up to 37 Raptor engines, though as few as 25 to 31 could work. It will have six fixed landing legs, grid fins for control
- SpaceX will begin construction of Starship Mk 3 and Mk 4 in Boca Chica and Florida in the next months. 3 and 4 will be built with rings of stainless 301 steel, instead of sheets. When Mk 4 is ready, they'll build the first BFR booster.
- Musk said an aggressive testing schedule could allow for putting humans on the Starship as soon as 2020.
- I still have doubts regarding his sanity.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
Planeflyer
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for all that. Anyone understand how the rings be fabricated
 
GDB
Posts: 13250
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:10 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
A shurt sommary of the plans:

- a 20 km flight within 1-2 months with the Starship Mk 1
- Starship in orbit within a year
- Starships - laden with passengers, freight or fuel - will mate back-to-back in orbit, to transfer fuel
- BFR (the booster) will feature up to 37 Raptor engines, though as few as 25 to 31 could work. It will have six fixed landing legs, grid fins for control
- SpaceX will begin construction of Starship Mk 3 and Mk 4 in Boca Chica and Florida in the next months. 3 and 4 will be built with rings of stainless 301 steel, instead of sheets. When Mk 4 is ready, they'll build the first BFR booster.
- Musk said an aggressive testing schedule could allow for putting humans on the Starship as soon as 2020.
- I still have doubts regarding his sanity.


Well the NASA Administrator, just before the event, apparently posted a tweet which some read as meaning 'why the hell are you doing this when Crew Dragon is not ready yet?'
You can imagine the responses, mostly along the lines of 'how are YOUR programs doing for timescales and costs?'.
Musk himself pointed out that only some 5% of SpaceX resources are tied up with these test vehicles.

If insanity is doing the same thing again and again but expecting different results, you have to put the traditional space launch providers in that bracket and their government overseers.
Yes I know, 'Elon time' and all that, however it might be that we are so used to seeing the traditional ways with long timescales, overspends, often followed by cancellation, that Musk does seem a bit mad to us.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:24 pm

GDB wrote:
You can imagine the responses, mostly along the lines of 'how are YOUR programs doing for timescales and costs?'.
GDB wrote:
insanity


No mistake, I like Elon's zeal. But the pace of SpaceX is still insane.

I believe the old school rocket builders are still used to military/government funding. Reminds me of some army officers... "Why save ammunition in our exercise? When they see that we only use 50% of the allocated ammo, they'll give us only 50% next year." Same effect here.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
Planeflyer
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:02 pm

It’s amazing what can happen when a market meets an visionary entrepreneur.
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 938
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:35 pm

Don't forget that without the implementation people Musk would just be any other crazy with ideas. Yes he's vital for setting goals and pushing crazy ideas. But just as vital is the team around him keeping the lights on for day to day launches and helping figure out how to implement the crazy ideas. So people like Gwynne Shotwell and the rest of the SpaceX team are just as vital for Starship as Musk.

Some crazy stuff ahead.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Thanks for all that. Anyone understand how the rings be fabricated


you buy a coil and not sheets !?

like from:
https://www.bsstainless.com/stainless-steel-strip-coil

If SpaceX people are bright enough they might even do a Spiral welded tube.
And then you are back at Otrag of the 70ties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTRAG
:-)
Murphy is an optimist
 
Planeflyer
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:38 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
Don't forget that without the implementation people Musk would just be any other crazy with ideas. Yes he's vital for setting goals and pushing crazy ideas. But just as vital is the team around him keeping the lights on for day to day launches and helping figure out how to implement the crazy ideas. So people like Gwynne Shotwell and the rest of the SpaceX team are just as vital for Starship as Musk.

Some crazy stuff ahead.


The team around him is certainly necessary but not sufficient for they would not exist if Musk did take the risk.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4899
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:36 am

That press conference was something else...

Orbit within a few months, several vehicles built within a year, man-rating within a couple of years thanks to potentially daily launches, 1 raptor engine built per day, without even going into the specs of that thing or the fact that it's being built outdoors using agricultural levels of sophistication...

Musk is well known for being largely optimistic on schedules, but many experts would question the very feasibility of the whole thing. I honestly don't know what to think.

One thing is certain: if it had been anyone other than Musk saying that stuff, he would have been hysterically laughed at.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Thanks for all that. Anyone understand how the rings be fabricated

One piece. They have many rolls of 48" steel laying around. The one I got a close look at was pretty close to 5mm thick.
Last edited by Nomadd on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Francoflier wrote:
That press conference was something else...

Orbit within a few months, several vehicles built within a year, man-rating within a couple of years thanks to potentially daily launches, 1 raptor engine built per day, without even going into the specs of that thing or the fact that it's being built outdoors using agricultural levels of sophistication...

Musk is well known for being largely optimistic on schedules, but many experts would question the very feasibility of the whole thing. I honestly don't know what to think.

One thing is certain: if it had been anyone other than Musk saying that stuff, he would have been hysterically laughed at.

10 months ago, I was looking at a lot of bare dirt and a tent out here. Since then they've built a functioning launch site, built, launched and retired one rocket, mostly built a 160 foot tall, 30 foot wide monster, are well along with production facilities for an even bigger booster and elsewhere have started churning out the most advanced rocket engine in the world to power it all.
What have those "many experts" done lately?
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 9407
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Nomadd wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
That press conference was something else...

Orbit within a few months, several vehicles built within a year, man-rating within a couple of years thanks to potentially daily launches, 1 raptor engine built per day, without even going into the specs of that thing or the fact that it's being built outdoors using agricultural levels of sophistication...

Musk is well known for being largely optimistic on schedules, but many experts would question the very feasibility of the whole thing. I honestly don't know what to think.

One thing is certain: if it had been anyone other than Musk saying that stuff, he would have been hysterically laughed at.

10 months ago, I was looking at a lot of bare dirt and a tent out here. Since then they've built a functioning launch site, built, launched and retired one rocket, mostly built a 160 foot tall, 30 foot wide monster, are well along with production facilities for an even bigger booster and elsewhere have started churning out the most advanced rocket engine in the world to power it all.
What have those "many experts" done lately?

It's amazing what a focused, very intelligent billionaire, who's willing to spend billions and not hoard them into portfolio investments, can do.

We need more billionaires like him (and Bezos comes to mind of course) that just pour their wealth back into things like this (real world production and manufacturing and building etc.).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
Planeflyer
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:37 am

Nomadd wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
That press conference was something else...

Orbit within a few months, several vehicles built within a year, man-rating within a couple of years thanks to potentially daily launches, 1 raptor engine built per day, without even going into the specs of that thing or the fact that it's being built outdoors using agricultural levels of sophistication...

Musk is well known for being largely optimistic on schedules, but many experts would question the very feasibility of the whole thing. I honestly don't know what to think.




One thing is certain: if it had been anyone other than Musk saying that stuff, he would have been hysterically laughed at.

10 months ago, I was looking at a lot of bare dirt and a tent out here. Since then they've built a functioning launch site, built, launched and retired one rocket, mostly built a 160 foot tall, 30 foot wide monster, are well along with production facilities for an even bigger booster and elsewhere have started churning out the most advanced rocket engine in the world to power it all.
What have those "many experts" done lately?


Agree completely w you and Tugg.

Not much was done well by the Bush administration but for redefining the market for space they deserve a lot of credit.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:11 am

Nomadd wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:
Thanks for all that. Anyone understand how the rings be fabricated

One piece. They have many rolls of 48" steel laying around. The one I got a close look at was pretty close to 5mm thick.


That would have the skin mass ~50t ?
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9283
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:19 pm

This has to be one of the best interviews of Elon ever. There are some real gems for Engineering students, and process designers in the first 7 minutes.

Tim the Everyday Astronaut led a good interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ36Kt7UVg
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
texl1649
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Tugger wrote:
Nomadd wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

It's amazing what a focused, very intelligent billionaire, who's willing to spend billions and not hoard them into portfolio investments, can do.

We need more billionaires like him (and Bezos comes to mind of course) that just pour their wealth back into things like this (real world production and manufacturing and building etc.).

Tugg


Well, fortunately for humanity Warren/Sanders have a plan to deal with/eliminate those pesky billionaires. I do agree though, it takes a creative billionaire not beholden to a skeptical private equity/venture capital fund to make something like this even close to feasible.

From what I know stainless steel is vastly heavier than carbon fiber. Is this just for the test phase it will be built like a farm implement?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos