Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

angad84

RE: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:42 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 48):
(maybe they should just read the instructions....)

ISWYDT  

But yeah, another little fix and then they try again. The good thing is that this isn't absolutely critical to SpaceX's current ops — they're still getting launch contracts, which gives them time and lots of chances to sort this out.

Cheers
Angad

Oroka

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:44 am

Quoting angad84 (Reply 50):
ISWYDT

Its a bit deeper than that. The other barge they are building is named 'Of course I still love you', both are from a scifi book series.

http://www.tor.com/2015/01/23/elon-m...-banks-just-read-the-instructions/

angad84

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Quoting Oroka (Reply 51):
Its a bit deeper than that

I know, I know. And I isn't OCISLY built already?

A

Francoflier

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Quoting Oroka (Reply 49):
Yup, minor failure caused loss of a rocket that was paid for and disposable. I dont think they want to spend money doing rework...

That may well be, but there is a cost to losing a booster after landing when they almost as easily could have kept it for post flight analysis and moved a bit closer to actual reusability, which is the ultimate goal.

Then there is the somewhat damaging PR value of the entire planet watching your rocket go up in flames.
It might only be a disposable booster that would have gone straight to ash anyway when re-entering the atmosphere, but to the uninitiated, it's just a rocket blowing up, and a failure.

Those two things must be worth something. Whether it's enough to fix the landing gear before the flight, only they know...

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 48):
Then it fell over....

It is interesting to see the pitch of the ship in the landing video. I am sure the greater minds at SpaceX have already considered this but I have to wonder how that motion affects the moment of inertia at the top of the booster. That's 100 plus feet and just a little pitching must have a pretty decent effect.

I had actually wondered about that issue overall for the drone ship landings. How stable is it? How do they get safely on board and secure the booster to the deck? Do they immediately hoist it up and lay it on the support ship?

Still, these are exciting times.

Quoting Oroka (Reply 51):
both are from a scifi book series.

I have to wonder what kind of bump in sales Iain M. Banks’ Culture novels.received with the ships names being used by SpaceX. Nothing gigantic I am sure but still probably decent.

Tugg

moo

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:47 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 53):
That may well be, but there is a cost to losing a booster after landing when they almost as easily could have kept it for post flight analysis and moved a bit closer to actual reusability, which is the ultimate goal.

Musk has said previously that all the boosters they are working with currently are classed as disposable, if they recover them then great but there is no inherent cost to SpaceX for replacing the booster if its lost - all current customers are being charged the full cost for using a disposable booster rather than a reduced cost for a reusable one.

Then there is the somewhat damaging PR value of the entire planet watching your rocket go up in flames.

Or alternatively there is the positive PR for making loads of people be interested in what you are doing...?

SpaceX is a lot better known to the general public than United Launch Alliance, SeaLaunch etc and thats because SpaceX are a lot more open about what they are doing - even Jeff Bezos with Blue Origin doesn't catch as much public attention as SpaceX does, and thats because they don't talk about their launches and tests until after they have happened.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 54):

It is interesting to see the pitch of the ship in the landing video. I am sure the greater minds at SpaceX have already considered this but I have to wonder how that motion affects the moment of inertia at the top of the booster. That's 100 plus feet and just a little pitching must have a pretty decent effect.

I had actually wondered about that issue overall for the drone ship landings. How stable is it? How do they get safely on board and secure the booster to the deck? Do they immediately hoist it up and lay it on the support ship?

The ship is big semi submersible platform with a positioning system. The sort that would be used to do offshore drilling. So it's very stable when ballasted. It can still be too rough as one of the landing attempts showed when they chose to land in the water as it was too rough to try a landing on the barge. Calling it a ship is a bit of a stretch for SpaceX.  

As for securing it. I believe all they would do is secure the legs to the barge deck. There are no cranes on board or I think nearby that could lift the booster. Remember this thing is going to be very stable with minimal pitching and the tow is not going to be that fast.

Quoting moo (Reply 55):

Or alternatively there is the positive PR for making loads of people be interested in what you are doing...?

SpaceX is a lot better known to the general public than United Launch Alliance, SeaLaunch etc and thats because SpaceX are a lot more open about what they are doing - even Jeff Bezos with Blue Origin doesn't catch as much public attention as SpaceX does, and thats because they don't talk about their launches and tests until after they have happened.

This. SpaceX are being very open as a way to drum up interest and public support into their business. Musk and the SpaceX leadership must know that getting their name out there can only help. And after so long of launch companies being so secretive and quiet it looks odd to see one being so open on showing just how hard this stuff is.

Bezos and Blue Origin are like the total opposite. Super secret and quiet until long after things worked. And even then not much.

For the customer companies paying millions of dollars for launches. I imagine they already had all the data and access they needed and could barely care about these launches being so public. After all if the rocket explodes they've got insurance and SpaceX gets all the blame. They're the victim after all. So yeah, SpaceX is doing this knowingly as a bit of a PR thing. Hell, I could believe that they do it for no other reason than to show all the cool shit they're doing.

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Quoting ZaphodHarkonnen (Reply 56):
The ship is big semi submersible platform with a positioning system. The sort that would be used to do offshore drilling. So it's very stable when ballasted.

Actually that is not correct, the ships are modified standard barges. They are of the "MARMAC" type, with a relatively shallow draft (I believe they flood the ballast to provide some 14' of draft for the landings).

For more wiki has good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_spaceport_drone_ship

Tugg

[Edited 2016-01-19 12:45:09]

nomadd22

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 57):
Actually that is not correct, the ships are modified standard barges. They are of the "MARMAC" type, with a relatively shallow draft (I believe they flood the ballast to provide some 14' of draft for the landings).

I think the decks on the Marmac 300 was 3/4" steel. Probably the same for the others. They have 4 Thrustmasters for station keeping, but that doesn't help with vertical movement.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 57):

Cool. My knowledge must have been out of date.  

Oroka

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:22 pm

That booster was IIRC the last of a older model, it would have given some in site sure, but it is still a test.

Only overly negitive PR I seen was from dundundunnn Fox who stated 'SpaceX botches rocket landing'. Anyone who takes Fox serious is an annoyance rather than a credible opinion.

nomadd22

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Boca Chica is finally seeing some action. They're moving dirt at the launch pad site.

Boca Chica SpaceX launch pad, the early days.

zanl188

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:32 pm

Not sure what the point of this Dragon 2 test is, throttleability perhaps, but it's cool to see Dragon 2 hover....

http://youtu.be/07Pm8ZY0XJI

nomadd22

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Quoting zanl188 (Reply 62):
Not sure what the point of this Dragon 2 test is, throttleability perhaps, but it's cool to see Dragon 2 hover....

http://youtu.be/07Pm8ZY0XJI

Since all 8 motors were running, they must have been throttled to about 10%, even if Dragon was heavily ballasted. Together those suckers can generate 120,000 pounds of thrust at 100%. I can see why they'd want to test stability that low.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:20 am

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 63):
Since all 8 motors were running, they must have been throttled to about 10%, even if Dragon was heavily ballasted. Together those suckers can generate 120,000 pounds of thrust at 100%. I can see why they'd want to test stability that low.

I can also see testing if the flight control system can hover in a stable fashion off of 8 engines. That's a lot of data points to keep track of and manipulate very quickly.

moo

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:58 am

And to prove my point about Jeff Bezos and Blue Origin, they have only just released the news that they have reflown their rocket, demonstrating reusability.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35391326

nomadd22

Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 63):

Now I see that they're saying 33,000 lbs of thrust. More like 27% throttle. They must have been ballasting with lead or something to hover. That's more three times the capsule's dry weight.

maxter

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:37 am

Some interesting comments on SpaceX from Elon and his own plans to head into space. Mars by 2025 maybe according to him.

Check here... From 27:46 onward

https://www.yootoobe.com/watch?v=jiRLGpm5CiY

Change spelling as necessary.

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:17 pm

If at first you don't succeed... try, try again!

Another launch and landing attempt is happening today. This is the launch of the SES-9 communications satellite.
They will be again attempting an ocean barge landing. The victim this time will be “Of Course I Still Love You” ... I mean the target barge....

Starting in 30 minutes, weather looks good so far:
http://youtu.be/Ml1RO4IcOG0

Tugg

[Edited 2016-02-25 16:06:02]

zanl188

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 68):

Scrubbed for today. Sounds like a propellant loading issue.

Francoflier

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:06 pm

It seems they're really downplaying the landing attempt this time. Even more so than usual.

It will be a high energy launch and dumping all that speed and landing the first stage that far off range on that tiny barge will prove very difficult it seems. Not that it is easy even in the best circumstances.
Hoping for the best, but the people caring for those barges might want to clear their schedule for the next few weeks...

Good luck to them.

moo

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 70):

It seems they're really downplaying the landing attempt this time. Even more so than usual.

It will be a high energy launch and dumping all that speed and landing the first stage that far off range on that tiny barge will prove very difficult it seems. Not that it is easy even in the best circumstances.

Yes, they are downplaying it because the window for the satellite reaching its geostationary transfer orbit is rapidly diminishing, meaning that unless its delayed for a year or so it will take more energy to get the payload into the right transfer orbit, which means less fuel to tinker with doing other things.

This satellite has been delayed since the launch failure last year, so its getting a bit desperate atm.

This is the sort of launch that a used booster would be used for when its reached its end of life, as the booster would then be disposed of in the atmosphere.

Its going to be touch and go as to whether there is enough fuel left at all for the landing - the reentry approach will be hypersonic if so, with a significant change to the landing approach this time round purely because of the lack of fuel.

nomadd22

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 71):
Yes, they are downplaying it because the window for the satellite reaching its geostationary transfer orbit is rapidly diminishing, meaning that unless its delayed for a year or so it will take more energy to get the payload into the right transfer orbit, which means less fuel to tinker with doing other things.

Not sure what you mean. That window is every day for the next several billion years. The only reason they can't launch any time is they don't want the satellite in the Earth's shadow too long.

moo

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 72):
Not sure what you mean. That window is every day for the next several billion years. The only reason they can't launch any time is they don't want the satellite in the Earth's shadow too long.

Actually, no it isn't, due to the position of the moon etc - while the geo-sync position doesn't change and the launch platform doesn't change, there are lots of other variables in the mix which are in flux.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Nothing confirmed on the next attempt but Sunday and Monday are possible:

Quote:
SpaceX is considering a third attempt to launch a commercial communications satellite from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station as soon as Sunday evening.

A forecast posted by the Air Force's 45th Weather Squadron Wing shows near-perfect conditions are expected during a more than 90-minute launch window running from 6:47 p.m. to 8:20 p.m. Sunday.

The weather would also be excellent Monday, should an attempt be made then, with a 90 percent chance of acceptable weather.
http://www.floridatoday.com/story/te...dering-sunday-launch-try/80998820/

Tugg

Tugger
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Next launch attempt confirmed for Sunday. Launch window is 6:46pm to 8:20pm EST.

Tugg

zanl188

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:02 am

Tonights launch got down to about T minus 1 min 30 sec when a hold was called for range safety. Probably a ship wandered into a no go zone.

Count recycled to T minus 10 min 42 sec and holding pending a green range..

SpaceX is still going to try to launch tonight.

zanl188

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:25 am

Got down to T zero and got an abort during engine start. Looks like a scrub for tonight, but not official yet.

zanl188

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:33 am

Scrubbed for tonight.

JetBuddy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:01 am

Yeah, that was kind of sad to see the mission scrubbed for tonight. But after two failed attempts, even though the first one had nothing to do with the rocket, I'm guessing they felt it was safest to delay. The launch window was narrowing, and they probably had a lot of telemetry to go through to figure out why the flight computers didn't let the engines ignite.

ThePointblank

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:46 am

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 79):
Yeah, that was kind of sad to see the mission scrubbed for tonight. But after two failed attempts, even though the first one had nothing to do with the rocket, I'm guessing they felt it was safest to delay. The launch window was narrowing, and they probably had a lot of telemetry to go through to figure out why the flight computers didn't let the engines ignite.

Elon Musk had this to report on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/704102461766676481

Quote:
@SpaceX Launch aborted on low thrust alarm. Rising oxygen temps due to hold for boat and helium bubble triggered alarm.

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Anyone know if the Falcon 9 SES9 launch is going to go forward tonight?

"Launch window: 2335-0106 GMT (6:35-8:06 p.m. EST)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the SES 9 communications satellite. Owned by SES of Luxembourg, the spacecraft will provide direct-to-home and other communications services over Northeast Asia, South Asia and Indonesia, as well as maritime communications for vessels in the Indian Ocean. The rocket will fly on a full-thrust version of the Falcon 9 rocket. Delayed from July 15, August, November, December and Feb. 6. Scrubbed on Feb. 24, Feb. 25, Feb. 28 and March 1. [March 1]"

http://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

zanl188

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Last night I saw plans for video of tonight's launch on YouTube.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 81):
Anyone know if the Falcon 9 SES9 launch is going to go forward tonight?

Just about an hour to go till start of the launch window and its still on! I've been almost afraid to say anything since it kept getting scrubbed.  

Tugg

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:47 pm

Successful launch! No confirmation on the landing.

Tugg

SeJoWa

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:13 am

Congratulations to SpaceX on successfully lofting the SES-9 satellite into its preliminary position pending orbit adjustment on its own power.

nomadd22

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:16 am

1st stage didn't survive. It was a real long shot anyhow since it was coming in so hot. I think they actually came in so fast they had to use a three engine landing burn.

http://twitter.com/MatthewBTravis/status/705908015711518720

[Edited 2016-03-04 16:19:11]

zanl188

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:26 am

Musk tweets:

"Target altitude of 40,600 km achieved. Thanks @SES_Satellites for riding on Falcon 9!"

No words on the 1st stage though... or verification of the report in reply 86.

zanl188

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:11 am

Musk tweets:

"Rocket landed hard on the droneship. Didn't expect this one to work (v hot reentry), but next flight has a good chance."

nomadd22

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:40 am

The fact that the stage even got to the barge is pretty promising. It survived an extremely energetic re-entry and managed to fly back and hit the spot. Hopefully, they got enough pieces to figure out if it took too much damage or just couldn't complete a good landing as low as it was on fuel.

Francoflier

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:09 am

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 89):
It survived an extremely energetic re-entry and managed to fly back and hit the spot.

True. No one really expected that to work anyway.
I can't wait to see the video.

The sad thing about it is that when it does come out, the media will inevitably portray it as another SpaceX/Flacon failure, which it really isn't.

maxter

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:55 am

Any ideas when the next launch is? The manifest on the SpaceX site has no dates... TIA

zanl188

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Quoting maxter (Reply 91):

CRS 8, an ISS resupply mission, is scheduled for 4 April. Then another comm sat flt before the end of April.

Launch schedule at spaceflightnow.com is pretty up to date.

maxter

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Thanks for that, knew I saw it somewhere else.

An exciting year ahead it seems.

nomadd22

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:58 am

SpaceX has a half dozen or so launches backed up from last year's standown. If the have their sub-cooled propellant loading down, the launches should come pretty fast for a while.
Fortunately, the F9 has better performance than when they contracted the launches so they can get GEO sats in better transfer orbits, like they did with SES-9 or haul more cargo for the ISS, making the customer not mind the delay so much.
CRS-8 is carrying Bigelow's BEAM module.

http://bigelowaerospace.com/beam/

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 450 File size: 713kb

[Edited 2016-03-11 22:01:50]

zanl188

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:26 am

BEAM is an inflatable module. This allows it to use less volume on the launcher. It will spend the ride to orbit in Dragons trunk.

zanl188

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Quoting maxter (Reply 91):
Any ideas when the next launch is? The manifest on the SpaceX site has no dates... TIA

Press release from NASA today says:

"SpaceX’s Dragon cargo spacecraft is targeted for launch at 4:43 p.m. EDT Friday, April 8"

maxter

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks for the heads up.

zanl188

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Quoting maxter (Reply 97):

You're welcome. Both the BEAM module on Dragon and the fire experiment on Cygnus (launched Tuesday) will be interesting to watch.

maxter

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:18 pm

Yes, spotted a photo of the BEAM module being loaded into Dragon's trunk on Twitter earlier today.
Has there been any talk about when they may put the B330 up, and will that fly free or will it be part of the station?

Cheers,