jonnyclam123

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm

A SpaceX Falcon 9 is scheduled to launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station tonight at 8:45 EST.
https://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/fil ... ss_kit.pdf

Francoflier

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 am

Boom. Done.

https://spacenews.com/spacex-launches-s ... -falcon-9/

Third mission for that booster, successfully recovered a 3rd time after, apparently, the highest energy re-entry to date. It will be used again for the Dragon in-flight abort test in April.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

william

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:09 am

What’s different about the rocket engines SpaceX uses compared to those in the past.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:15 am

william wrote:
What’s different about the rocket engines SpaceX uses compared to those in the past.

Lots and not much?

The Merlin is still a Kerosene-Liquid Oxygen (Keralox) engine as tons have been. Even the F1 in the Saturn V was a Keralox engine.

The biggest difference is the effort SpaceX has put in to bringing down the manufacturing costs. Using stuff like additive manufacturing to replace parts that are complex to machine and weld. Accepting efficiency losses to increase manufacturing simplicity. Just stuff to bring the cost down as the engines are the most expensive part of a rocket. And up until recently (ignoring the Space Shuttle) they've been single use only things. And even with the reuse the upper stage Merlins are single use.

Tugger
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:17 am

Z
Francoflier wrote:
Boom. Done.

https://spacenews.com/spacex-launches-s ... -falcon-9/

Third mission for that booster, successfully recovered a 3rd time after, apparently, the highest energy re-entry to date. It will be used again for the Dragon in-flight abort test in April.
I hate, love, am amazed that it is not even "news" anymore. It's just routine, boring, normal.

It's both great and wrong since we all know each launch is still critically important. And amazing quite frankly.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Nomadd

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:17 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
william wrote:

Lots and not much?

The Merlin is still a Kerosene-Liquid Oxygen (Keralox) engine as tons have been. Even the F1 in the Saturn V was a Keralox engine.

The biggest difference is the effort SpaceX has put in to bringing down the manufacturing costs. Using stuff like additive manufacturing to replace parts that are complex to machine and weld. Accepting efficiency losses to increase manufacturing simplicity. Just stuff to bring the cost down as the engines are the most expensive part of a rocket. And up until recently (ignoring the Space Shuttle) they've been single use only things. And even with the reuse the upper stage Merlins are single use.

What efficiency losses? The Merlin is the highest thrust to weight engine on (or off) Earth.
The biggest difference if the fact that SpaceX manufactures most of the components themselves. They even have their own metallurgy division. The Merlin is 2 1/2 times as powerful as it originally was because it's designed, developed and fabricated by one company. They aren't just buying Russian engines like their two main competitors and aren't satisfied to sit still. The Atlas V has hardly changed in 17 years.

rfields5421

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:29 pm

One item off the bucket list.

In 1961 I remember sitting in my school auditorium watching a tiny black and white portable TV with the other approx. 200 kids in my school (1-12, we didn't have K in our district back then)

With my terrible eyesight and no glasses, I could barely make out a blur that was the TV.

I swore that someday I'd get to Florida to watch a rocket launch.

Finally made it Tuesday night. From Veteran's Park in Titusville, I could pick out the rocket and the lighting towers on the pad with my binoculars. Even after sunset. Ignition and liftoff were right one time, and beautifully visible. Being about 4 miles from the launch pad, the sound didn't get to use until nearly half a minute after the launch.

Sky was clean, and first stage shutdown followed by second stage ignition was visible. Incredibly awesome sight to finally see.

What surprised me was how the rocket is fueled in the SpaceX Press Kit time line.

MISSION TIMELINE (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)
COUNTDOWN
Hour/Min/Sec Events
00:38:00 SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for propellant load
00:35:00 RP-1 (rocket grade kerosene) loading underway
00:35:00 1st stage LOX (liquid oxygen) loading underway
00:16:00 2nd stage LOX loading underway
00:07:00 Falcon 9 begins engine chill prior to launch
00:01:00 Command flight computer to begin final prelaunch checks
00:01:00 Propellant tank pressurization to flight pressure begins
00:00:45 SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for launch
00:00:03 Engine controller commands engine ignition sequence to start
00:00:00 Falcon 9 liftoff

LAUNCH AND SATELLITE DEPLOYMENT
Hour/Min/Sec Events
00:01:07 Max Q (moment of peak mechanical stress on the rocket)
00:02:37 1st stage main engine cutoff (MECO)
00:02:40 1st and 2nd stages separate
00:02:48 2nd stage engine starts
00:03:46 Fairing deployment
00:06:44 1st stage entry burn complete
00:08:07 2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-1)
00:08:32 1st stage landing
00:27:03 2nd stage engine restarts
00:28:08 2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-2)
00:33:39 Beresheet deployment
00:44:38 Nusantara Satu and Air Force Research Laboratory S5 deployment

My memory on rocket technology is that fuel was loaded into the rockets long before SpaceX does now in the last half hour before launch.

Planeflyer

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Well that’s really well done!

zanl188

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:29 am

rfields5421 wrote:

What surprised me was how the rocket is fueled in the SpaceX Press Kit time line.

SpaceX chills the fuel and oxidizer to load more of each in the tank. This precludes early fuel loading.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

DarkKnight5

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:49 am

Nomadd wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
william wrote:

Lots and not much?

What efficiency losses? The Merlin is the highest thrust to weight engine on (or off) Earth.
The biggest difference if the fact that SpaceX manufactures most of the components themselves. They even have their own metallurgy division. The Merlin is 2 1/2 times as powerful as it originally was because it's designed, developed and fabricated by one company. They aren't just buying Russian engines like their two main competitors and aren't satisfied to sit still. The Atlas V has hardly changed in 17 years.

I think he was saying that hydrolox engines are considered more efficient. Like the Delta IV and the Centaur second stage. Centaur engine isn’t as powerful as Merlin but is considered more effecient.

DarkKnight5

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:54 am

rfields5421 wrote:
One item off the bucket list.

In 1961 I remember sitting in my school auditorium watching a tiny black and white portable TV with the other approx. 200 kids in my school (1-12, we didn't have K in our district back then)

With my terrible eyesight and no glasses, I could barely make out a blur that was the TV.

I swore that someday I'd get to Florida to watch a rocket launch.

Finally made it Tuesday night. From Veteran's Park in Titusville, I could pick out the rocket and the lighting towers on the pad with my binoculars. Even after sunset. Ignition and liftoff were right one time, and beautifully visible. Being about 4 miles from the launch pad, the sound didn't get to use until nearly half a minute after the launch.

Sky was clean, and first stage shutdown followed by second stage ignition was visible. Incredibly awesome sight to finally see.

MISSION TIMELINE (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)
COUNTDOWN
Hour/Min/Sec Events
00:38:00 SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for propellant load
00:35:00 RP-1 (rocket grade kerosene) loading underway
00:35:00 1st stage LOX (liquid oxygen) loading underway
00:16:00 2nd stage LOX loading underway
00:07:00 Falcon 9 begins engine chill prior to launch
00:01:00 Command flight computer to begin final prelaunch checks
00:01:00 Propellant tank pressurization to flight pressure begins
00:00:45 SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for launch
00:00:03 Engine controller commands engine ignition sequence to start
00:00:00 Falcon 9 liftoff

LAUNCH AND SATELLITE DEPLOYMENT
Hour/Min/Sec Events
00:01:07 Max Q (moment of peak mechanical stress on the rocket)
00:02:37 1st stage main engine cutoff (MECO)
00:02:40 1st and 2nd stages separate
00:02:48 2nd stage engine starts
00:03:46 Fairing deployment
00:06:44 1st stage entry burn complete
00:08:07 2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-1)
00:08:32 1st stage landing
00:27:03 2nd stage engine restarts
00:28:08 2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-2)
00:33:39 Beresheet deployment
00:44:38 Nusantara Satu and Air Force Research Laboratory S5 deployment

My memory on rocket technology is that fuel was loaded into the rockets long before SpaceX does now in the last half hour before launch.

Good for you! I’ll never forget my launch either. Hope I get another one some day.

The late fuel loading is a result of using cryogenic fuel. They want to minimize the time it had to warm up before launch. Has caused a lot of friction with NASA since the admin is accustomed to loading propellants before people. Really it’s just a safety trade off.

How long do you want to sit on the loaded bomb? Two plus hours or thirty minutes? Yeah there’s risk during the loading process too. At least if something goes wrong early in the countdown you don’t have to worry about it blowing up.

casinterest

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 pm

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech ... 991182002/

Dragon Crew Demo scheduled for O' dark thirty on Saturday.

Forecasters with the Air Force's 45th Weather Squadron are anticipating 80 percent "go" conditions for the 2:48 a.m. Saturday liftoff of a Falcon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon capsule from Kennedy Space Center on Demonstration Mission 1, or DM-1.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dragon Crew Demo scheduled for O' dark thirty on Saturday.

Excitedly looking forward to this!
Here is a video of the capsule interior (really doesn't show much):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_hCTfMdng

And a slightly longer article that explains more about the test flight and what it portends:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/28/1823 ... aunch-dm-1

Looks like they might have "Starman 2.0" on board! :scratchchin:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

zanl188

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 am

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Starman 2.0 = a Starwoman named “Ripley”. No word if she has a cat or any other “pets”.

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:56 pm

zanl188 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Starman 2.0 = a Starwoman named “Ripley”. No word if she has a cat or any other “pets”.

I'm hoping Elon has stuffed an "Alien" prop onboard as well. That we'll see after launch.

Nomadd

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 pm

They could have launched three months ago if not for NASA stonewalling. They're doing everything they can to make sure SpaceX doesn't beat Boeing to the punch by six months on 2/3 the budget.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:10 pm

zanl188 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Starman and Ripley sittin' in a tree.... :wink2: :lol:

Nomadd wrote:
They could have launched three months ago if not for NASA stonewalling. They're doing everything they can to make sure SpaceX doesn't beat Boeing to the punch by six months on 2/3 the budget.

Yes, they've been slow rolling things a lot and whining too. I was thinking NASA just wanted to force a "NASA mindset" onto SpaceX as they have on to everyother space contractor, but I know there is a lot of "employment exchange" that goes on between the major's and NASA.

Tugg

ThePointblank

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:20 am

Live stream of Crew Demo-1 is now LIVE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZL0tbOZYhE

DarkKnight5

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:37 am

Awfully nice of NASA to hijack this livestream and make it super F***ing boring and sterile. Short films with poor production and terrible audio? Oh you know your government can do that.

DarkKnight5

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 am

Haha smash cut to NASA mission control where dude points to “the team” behind him and literally not one other person is visible. #Shockandawenasa

Tugger
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:05 am

Nice!

Good thing stuff is easy....

Off to a good start. Now to meet up with the ISS!

Tugg

DarkKnight5

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 am

This made me go full eggplant emoji! What a great launch! Lots to do still, orbit raising, docking etc... but off to a great start.

A couple beverages in and almost in tears because MAYBE my two girls will some day be able to live and work in space and maybe their kids will be able to colonize planets. Yay people. Yay freedom. Yay us. High five to all of you. I love you. Come on Boeing ULA, let’s slam-dunk your launch too.

GDB

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 am

Very nice, off to a good start.
Even keeping the link, mostly, with the 1st stage landing, even if that is the least important milestone today.

zanl188

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Great launch! Big day for SpaceX!

zanl188

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:37 pm

Post launch press conference with Jim Bridenstine (NASA Administrator) and Elon Musk:

https://youtu.be/HuXPLtJXd14

Couple of items I found noteworthy:

- NASA abandoned its standard, left to right, press conference format. Bridenstine & Musk front and center. And at o'dark thirty in the morning. This is a Big deal!

- Astronauts are not wearing their Mach 25 patches. Making room for new traditions?

wingman

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:02 pm

DarkKnight5 wrote:
This made me go full eggplant emoji! What a great launch! Lots to do still, orbit raising, docking etc... but off to a great start.

A couple beverages in and almost in tears because MAYBE my two girls will some day be able to live and work in space and maybe their kids will be able to colonize planets. Yay people. Yay freedom. Yay us. High five to all of you. I love you. Come on Boeing ULA, let’s slam-dunk your launch too.

Just seeing this now morning time West coast and that pretty well sums up my feelings over coffee. Huge effing YAAAAAY humanity!! I'll say for the 100th time, Elon Musk swings the biggest and he connects the biggest.

Francoflier

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:02 am

zanl188 wrote:
Post launch press conference with Jim Bridenstine (NASA Administrator) and Elon Musk:

Interesting tidbits, but watching Musk speak publicly is as painful and cringe-worthy as ever (although it was very late in a long day for him).
As much as I respect the guy and admire what he's achieved, I wish they delegated Gwynne or someone else for press conferences.
I suppose he is the face of the company and people want to see him...

Anyhow, SpaceX keeps kicking ass and taking names. It only seems like yesterday when they were struggling to put a tiny rocket in orbit, and now they're a few months away from launching astronauts into space with a workhorse of a reusable rocket.

Now waiting for docking. Although the butt-clenching moment will be the re-entry and splashdown. :crossfingers:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 am

Huge congrats to the SpaceX and NASA teams for a successful docking so far. They've just done the soft capture as I write this.

So fun being able to watch this stuff live even from NZ.

Edit: And there's the hard capture.

Francoflier

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:00 pm

zanl188

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Interesting tidbits, but watching Musk speak publicly is as painful and cringe-worthy as ever (although it was very late in a long day for him).
As much as I respect the guy and admire what he's achieved, I wish they delegated Gwynne or someone else for press conferences.

I enjoy watching Musk speak. He is quite often off script and the emotion shows thru. You never know what he's going to say.

JetBuddy

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:01 pm

zanl188 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

I enjoy watching Musk speak. He is quite often off script and the emotion shows thru. You never know what he's going to say.

I agree. Love that guy. He gets emotional pretty easily. He's a human - and a nerd like the rest of us. And the hero we desperately need.

zanl188

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Dragon 2 welcome ceremony:

https://youtu.be/aPaxAy4uKro

wingman

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:46 pm

The interior looks a tad more inviting than the Apollo cabins..too bad they didn't sneak any Bowie references in there, something like "the Spiders were here" scrawled on one of the walls. That's what happens when Elon doesn't get enough blunts.

Planeflyer

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:21 pm

WIederling

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Planeflyer wrote:

How many (successful) runs until the real payload is allowed on board?
Murphy is an optimist

GDB

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:00 pm

WIederling wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

Next is a test of the Abort system, if that goes to plan then hopefully around July, the next flight to orbit will be with two crew on board.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Cograts to SpaceX (again)!
I wonder if the parachute covering the capsule when it landed in the water presents any problem of any real kind? I expect no but who knows, it could affect an emergency crew exit. The parachutes are apparently the big thing NASA is scrutinizing.

Tugg

Planeflyer

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 pm

GDB wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

Next is a test of the Abort system, if that goes to plan then hopefully around July, the next flight to orbit will be with two crew on board.

Wow, surprised it would be this quick. Validation protocols must be very complex. Hats off to everyone involved.

So good to see all the many space projects that are underway.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 pm

I gather the two big things they are looking at are:
1. How the asymmetrical shape (due to the SuperDraco bulges) of the capsule affected initial high altitude entry and orientation stabilization
2. The parachutes. Basically four have never been used before and apparently there was "an anomaly" in one of the recent deployments with the cargo Dragon so there was concern. Who knew parachutes were insanely difficult to model and predict (I always thought they were pretty simple.... mine always opened, that's all I know ;) )

This is a good article discussing both elements: https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03 ... ule-awaits

Tugg

casinterest

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 pm

When is the abort test? That should be quite a show.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 am

From memory the in flight abort test isn't even a requirement. Boeing are just doing the initial uncrewed test and then straight into the crewed test.

Note they both have to do ground abort tests and SpaceX did that a few years ago.

Francoflier

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:07 am

Re: parachutes, I wonder if they could develop a Super Draco-based backup system in case of chute failure. They already abandoned propulsive landings for Dragon (I wonder if they'll ever regret that), but it probably wouldn't be too hard for SpaceX to develop a last-resort retro-boosted splashdown using the capsule's hardware, given their experience in the field. It would essentialy be a no cost addon, other than development and testing.
It would be mighty uncomfortable but could increase safety if Nasa still has some qualms about those parachutes.

Nomadd

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 am

Francoflier wrote:
Re: parachutes, I wonder if they could develop a Super Draco-based backup system in case of chute failure. They already abandoned propulsive landings for Dragon (I wonder if they'll ever regret that), but it probably wouldn't be too hard for SpaceX to develop a last-resort retro-boosted splashdown using the capsule's hardware, given their experience in the field. It would essentialy be a no cost addon, other than development and testing.
It would be mighty uncomfortable but could increase safety if Nasa still has some qualms about those parachutes.

They probably already have it. Since the Super Dracos are there, using them for an emergency landing would just be a matter of software.

Nomadd

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:45 am

The SpaceX launch pad in south Texas looks a little different today.

maxter

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:48 am

maxter

DarkKnight5

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:56 am

Tugger wrote:
Cograts to SpaceX (again)!
I wonder if the parachute covering the capsule when it landed in the water presents any problem of any real kind? I expect no but who knows, it could affect an emergency crew exit. The parachutes are apparently the big thing NASA is scrutinizing.

Tugg

The super boring NASA guy seemed to laugh it off as a result of the calm-winds-of-the-day. I assume every parachute-landing craft has the same risk of having one come down in top on a calm day. They drove a boat up and pulled it off. No big deal.

DarkKnight5

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:59 am

Tugger wrote:
I gather the two big things they are looking at are:
1. How the asymmetrical shape (due to the SuperDraco bulges) of the capsule affected initial high altitude entry and orientation stabilization
2. The parachutes. Basically four have never been used before and apparently there was "an anomaly" in one of the recent deployments with the cargo Dragon so there was concern. Who knew parachutes were insanely difficult to model and predict (I always thought they were pretty simple.... mine always opened, that's all I know ;) )

This is a good article discussing both elements: https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03 ... ule-awaits

Tugg

I’ve seen some speculation that the “anomaly” reported by an anonymous source may have been some planted opposition news, similar to the propaganda campaign against load and go fueling.

Rest assured, NASA will not put people in a capsule with questionable parachutes.

flyingturtle

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm

maxter wrote:

A pointy boi. Slick, aerodynamic, powerful.

Thank you, Elon Musk, for building the slowest rocket in the world.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Nomadd

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:02 am

I've had enough of this site. Links in posts quit and they won't let you see what's wrong or edit or delete anything. I can see why so many of the posters who made the old site good are gone.
Micromanagement is the worst of incompetence.

DarkKnight5

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 am

Nomadd wrote:
I've had enough of this site. Links in posts quit and they won't let you see what's wrong or edit or delete anything. I can see why so many of the posters who made the old site good are gone.
Micromanagement is the worst of incompetence.

This place really has shit-canned. It’s as bad as the comment section on yahoo news...