surfpunk
Topic Author

USS Ranger (CV/A-61) Arrives In Brownsville TX

Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:51 pm

While technically not an aircraft, she carried plenty of them to the far reaches of the globe over the years. Today the aircraft carrier USS Ranger is completing her four-month journey around Cape Horn from Bremerton, WA to Brownsville, TX to be scrapped. This is the third of four Forrestal-class carriers to be scrapped, and it is likely that the fourth (the USS Independence) will make the same journey soon. This is signaling the end of an era, as the Ranger and her sister ships were among the largest oil-powered warships ever built. Ranger was also my home for two years back in the late 80s, so this is a rather melancholy day for me today.

R.I.P., Top Gun of the Pacific Fleet.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/new...8-283d-11e5-97c6-b7c55320f0d0.html

kc135topboom

RE: USS Ranger (CV/A-61) Arrives In Brownsville TX

Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:11 pm

Wasn't Ranger on a museum hold for a number of years? I guess she could not find a home?

cjg225

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:15 am

Farewell to a good ship. It's a shame to see her go.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

dfwjim1

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:36 am

The trip took over 4 months to make. Is that normal for a voyage that long or did the Ranger make a few stops along the way?

surfpunk
Topic Author

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:30 pm

There was a foundation group trying to get her placed as a museum ship. Their first target was Tacoma WA, which got shot down by the city development board pretty quickly. The next spot was upriver from Portland OR, and this site actually had gained a lot of traction, where they had a site selected and a lot of other pre-work, but the Navy's timetable and requirements for the process ended up being too much, so they ultimately decided to take Ranger off museum hold and ready her for disposal. There was a last ditch effort to get her to Long Beach CA, but that failed, as well.

The trip took four months because she was under tow by tugs, and not under her own power. The tugs did make a few stops along the way for refueling and crew rest, but a 16,000+ mile journey takes a while at 5 kts.

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Quoting Surfpunk (Reply 4):
There was a foundation group trying to get her placed as a museum ship.

Do museum ships actually make enough money to cover the costs to keep them open? There's already two aircraft carrier museums, is there room for anymore?

bunumuring

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 5):

There was a foundation group trying to get her placed as a museum ship.

Do museum ships actually make enough money to cover the costs to keep them open? There's already two aircraft carrier museums, is there room for anymore?

Maybe somewhere like Hawaii could make a go of it? Some onboard backpacker-style accommodation may be appealing too, like the 747 at Arlanda...I'd love to stay on it!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

johns624

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:50 pm

There's already two aircraft carrier museums, is there room for anymore?

Four--USS Lexington- Corpus Christi, Texas. USS Intrepid--NYC, USS Midway-San Diego, USS Yorktown- Charleston, SC.

dfwjim1

Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Wow, no longer wonder it took so long!

7BOEING7

Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Although not a very good picture (snapped it with my phone) here she is on March 10th, just headed outbound on her journey. One tug pulling in front, another pulling (for stabilization) in back.

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:17 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 7):
Four--USS Lexington- Corpus Christi, Texas. USS Intrepid--NYC, USS Midway-San Diego, USS Yorktown- Charleston, SC.

Thanks for the correction, so with 4 already floating around it makes a fifth even less necessary and more difficult to justify.

Areopagus

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:21 pm

The USS Hornet is in Alameda, CA.

[Edited 2015-07-13 14:22:19]

johns624

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Quoting Areopagus (Reply 11):

I didn't know about that one. There's so many carriers and battleships preserved but only one cruiser.

rwessel

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 12):
I didn't know about that one. There's so many carriers and battleships preserved but only one cruiser.

There's the Little Rock in Buffalo, the Olympia in Philadelphia, and the Salem in Quincy, MA.

Sooner787

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:02 pm

So that only leaves 3 carriers awaiting their fates;

Independence

Kitty Hawk

JFK

Enterprise will be virtually scrapped by the time they finish removing the reactors
and other machinery.

Wasn't there a group trying to bring JFK up to Boston Harbor to park next to the JFK Museum?

johns624

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:39 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 13):
There's the Little Rock in Buffalo, the Olympia in Philadelphia, and the Salem in Quincy, MA.

I'd forgotten about the Salem. I don't really think of the Olympia when I think of cruisers.

Pyrex

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 6):
Maybe somewhere like Hawaii could make a go of it? Some onboard backpacker-style accommodation may be appealing too, like the 747 at Arlanda...I'd love to stay on it!

If you are into that sort of thing, in Viana do Castelo, Portugal, there is a former hospital ship that has been transformed into a youth hostel. A friend of mine stayed there once - her room still had the "Infectious Disease Ward" sign hanging over the door...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

nomadd22

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:35 am

Not even close. Keeping one of those monsters in shape isn't something you can do by collecting $20 admission fees. They have to be heavily subsidized by the city/state.

Personally, I'd rather see them wind up as homes for fishes than going to the scrap yard, but cleaning them up would cost the Navy money, as opposed to letting the scrappers do the dirty work.

[Edited 2015-07-13 17:37:11]
Anon

AST1Driver

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:17 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 6):
Some onboard backpacker-style accommodation may be appealing too,

Don't know if they still do it, but Yorktown used to host Scout Troops for weekends. Did it 30 years ago. Ended up sleeping on the flight deck because it was so hot down below.

surfpunk
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
Thanks for the correction, so with 4 already floating around it makes a fifth even less necessary and more difficult to justify.

Well, you really can't use five existing museums as a reason to deny a sixth, as the existing ones are managed locally, not nationally. What you don't have, though is an existing museum carrier the size of Ranger (or any remaining oil-powered carrier). And since all remaining active (and future carriers) are nuclear-powered, they cannot be designated as museum ships, due to the regulations surrounding nuclear power, as well as the work that has to be done to remove the reactors from a decommissioned nuclear ship (look at Enterprise, for example). There's little time to save any of the remaining carriers from the scrap heap.

dfwjim1

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:36 pm

It must have been a very rough ridge on those two tug boats traversing the Pacific and Atlantic oceans plus Cape Horn.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:29 pm

There's already two aircraft carrier museums, is there room for anymore?

As Surfpunk noted, I think there is. Four of the five are Essex-class carriers that are World War II designs that managed to survive through the Vietnam era (Yorktown, Intrepid, Hornet, and Lexington.) The fifth is a Midway-class carrier that still follows that same general design ethos having been designed during World War II but commissioned too late to participate in the war (Midway). If anything I think it's a shame that neither Saratoga (CV-3) or Enterprise (CV-6) were turned into museums. But there's definitely a place for at least one Cold War-era supercarrier to be turned into a museum. Unfortunately I think the expense is just too much. I know a few years ago Patriots Point said that Yorktown alone (they also have two other ships in their collection, the USS Clamagore (SS-343) and the USS Laffey (DD-724) which was recently repaired thanks to a loan from the State of SC to the tune of $9M) required about $100M in repairs, mainly to her hull. If a World War II era Essex class requires that sort of repair bill I can only imagine what a Forrestal or Kitty Hawk class ship would require in 50 years.

Quoting AST1Driver (Reply 18):

Don't know if they still do it, but Yorktown used to host Scout Troops for weekends.

Yep. They still do!
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Sooner787

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Quoting 7BOEING7 (Reply 9):
Although not a very good picture (snapped it with my phone) here she is on March 10th, just headed outbound on her journey. One tug pulling in front, another pulling (for stabilization) in back.

That's a great shot. I'm curious about how much lighting they have to rig up
on these ships for navigational safety?

7BOEING7

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 22):
That's a great shot. I'm curious about how much lighting they have to rig up
on these ships for navigational safety?

Thanks

Go to rule 24 -- it describes both the required lighting for the tug 24(a) and the towed vessel 24(e)

http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/rulesoftheroad.php#rule24

kc135topboom

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 5):There's already two aircraft carrier museums, is there room for anymore?

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
Quoting Areopagus (Reply 11):
Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 14):
Wasn't there a group trying to bring JFK up to Boston Harbor to park next to the JFK Museum?

The Kennedy is on museum hold. I believe 3 different sites want her, Boston Harbor, Battleship Cove (although I don't know where they could put her) Fall River, MA, and some place in RI.

L-188

Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:18 am

I've been on two of them.

Yorktown by the way isn't floating. They filled her ballast tanks and sat her on the mud on the bottom after they positioned her in Charleston.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Sooner787

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 24):
The Kennedy is on museum hold. I believe 3 different sites want her, Boston Harbor, Battleship Cove (although I don't know where they could put her) Fall River, MA, and some place in RI.

I've visited Battleship Cove and you're right, I have no idea how where they'd park the JFK