Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nomadd22
Topic Author

End Of The Line For 4 Carriers

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:40 pm

I drive by these guys every day on my way to Boca Chica. It's sad to see them getting ripped apart like this, but the stories had to end some day. Gives me a chance to hoist a Guinness to Forrestal, Constellation, Saratoga and Ranger.

Anon

silentbob

RE: End Of The Line For 4 Carriers

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:17 pm

Wow, where exactly is that?

Tugger

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Quoting silentbob (Reply 1):
Wow, where exactly is that?

The ships are in Brownsville TX, at the ESCO Marine for scrapping.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

David L

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Hoist one to Saratoga for me. I got a good view of her when she was anchored in Hong Kong harbor in 1970 or 1971. A friend's father was with Ghurka Transport and, on his birthday, he commandeered a landing craft (technically a ramped powered lighter) and crew for a "beach assault and barbecue" on Lantau. A unanimous decision was taken to make a detour on the way and we got a close up, 360o view. Best birthday party ever!

The reason I remember the Saratoga over other carriers that visited was that three of her aircraft (A-7s, I think) made the news due to a "close encounter" with an airliner near HK. Maybe it was a slow news day.

[Edited 2016-01-20 04:08:20]

David L

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:50 pm

I posted the above from memory but now I can't find anything to support my assertion that the Saratoga could have been in Hong Kong at the time I thought. Well, at least I had a good time while I was posting it.

TheSonntag

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:53 pm

No Sinkex this time.

PC12Fan

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:34 am

No disrespect towards the other ships but you'd think with the history of the Forrestal and Saratoga they would seen a better fate. Maybe an artificial reef perhaps at the very least.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

ThePointblank

Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:09 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 5):
No Sinkex this time.
Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 6):
No disrespect towards the other ships but you'd think with the history of the Forrestal and Saratoga they would seen a better fate. Maybe an artificial reef perhaps at the very least.

SINKEX's and artificial reefs are a lot of work to organize and prepare for. Ships involved need to be cleaned, with dangerous material and potential contaminants removed and re-mediated. If the ship is meant to be an artificial reef to be dived upon, access holes need to be cut for divers. Environmental assessments need to be conducted, and legal challenges gone through.

Furthermore, with the supercarriers, the USN wants to safeguard some of the design elements involved in building the carriers and the effects of certain weapons on them; that's why when USS America was sunk during live-fire tests, she was sank in waters that were 5km deep (deeper than the wreck of the Titanic) to eliminate access to the ship except with very specialized gear and equipment (which the USN will know about).

747400sp

Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:13 am

My first year in the Navy, I was disappointed that the Constellation was decommissioned, because want to see a carrier that had exhaust coming out of it, that's why I did not like the Reagan. After I transferred to Norfolk, I saw the Kennedy right before it took it's last voyage up to Boston and back to Mayport, so I did get my wish. I had a photo of my former ship the Truman, the Enterprise, the Roosevelt and the Kennedy, which I took, moored side by side.

PS: I wish I did not lose that photo, because that was a photo that I took, of 2 decommissioned carriers.

neutrino

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:13 am

I've been on a few decommissioned hulks such as Intrepid and Minsk but the Ranger remains the only active in-service carrier I ever toured in. Spent a whole afternoon aboard back in the 70s, climbing up & down, exploring all the non off-limits areas. Fielded plenty question to the sailors and airmen like any inquisitive teenager would. Bought a can of Coke that came in the new aluminum containers. First time I came across it as we only had the bin-based ones then, and had a bit of fun days later when I crushed the empty can with my fingers in front of awestruck mates. They thought I was very strong.
Next time you go by, don't mind toasting a coke to the old girl on my behalf.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

nomadd22
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 pm

I never understood how they made money scrapping these. The steel is only worth about $12 million. I wouldn't think any of the systems or components would sell for too much at that age, but they must have way. The company gets them anywhere from a dollar to a few million.
Anon

zeke

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:22 pm

I would have run one around either end of the runway China built in the south fins sea, and exploded some large holes in them so the could not be refloated.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

NBGSkyGod

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:39 am

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 10):
I never understood how they made money scrapping these. The steel is only worth about $12 million. I wouldn't think any of the systems or components would sell for too much at that age, but they must have way. The company gets them anywhere from a dollar to a few million.

Because they purchased them for 1 cent, then the towing fees were only around $1million, and the metal in a carrier is worth far more than a measly $12 mil, try $20 or 30 million or more. That is called a hefty profit in my book.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

Max Q

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:34 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):
I would have run one around either end of the runway China built in the south fins sea, and exploded some large holes in them so the could not be refloated.

What would that achieve  
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

ThePointblank

Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:25 am

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 12):
Because they purchased them for 1 cent, then the towing fees were only around $1million, and the metal in a carrier is worth far more than a measly $12 mil, try $20 or 30 million or more. That is called a hefty profit in my book.

Not really. Scrapping a ship in the Western world is extremely expensive due to various health & safety and environmental regulations.

If you want a good example of this, look at the scrapping of the USS Coral Sea; the scrapping of Coral Sea was mired in legal and environmental problems since the onset. The yard that was scrapping Coral Sea went bankrupt as a result of all of the issues surrounding the scrapping. The yard had to deal with PCB's that needed to be removed from the ship, along with asbestos removal and disposal, and the thick steel was a massive challenge to cut up. The owners of the yard that was scrapping Coral Sea was sent to jail (and eventually died in prison) and fined due to health & safety and environmental violations.

[Edited 2016-01-22 20:27:41]

studedave

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 14):
look at the scrapping of the USS Coral Sea

I'd rather not. She was my first ship.   

StudeDave
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

NBGSkyGod

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 14):
If you want a good example of this, look at the scrapping of the USS Coral Sea; the scrapping of Coral Sea was mired in legal and environmental problems since the onset. The yard that was scrapping Coral Sea went bankrupt as a result of all of the issues surrounding the scrapping. The yard had to deal with PCB's that needed to be removed from the ship, along with asbestos removal and disposal, and the thick steel was a massive challenge to cut up. The owners of the yard that was scrapping Coral Sea was sent to jail (and eventually died in prison) and fined due to health & safety and environmental violations.

The Coral Sea was a debacle for sure, however lessons were learned by both the Navy and the scrapping industry, and the company presently breaking these carriers has been breaking ships for a while, including several former naval vessels. Look at Google Earth image history of the ships that have been broken there.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

ThePointblank

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:34 am

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 16):

The Coral Sea was a debacle for sure, however lessons were learned by both the Navy and the scrapping industry, and the company presently breaking these carriers has been breaking ships for a while, including several former naval vessels. Look at Google Earth image history of the ships that have been broken there.

Ship breaking in the developed world is barely profitable. For example, Esco Marine, one of the ship breakers in Brownsville, Texas currently doing the scrapping of ex-USS Saratoga is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.

Ship breakers in developing countries like India, Bangladesh, China and Pakistan don't care about worker safety, health regulations, and environmental regulations like how Western ship breakers would have to care about. Furthermore, the significantly lower wages in those developing countries helps drive the ship breaking industry there because ship breaking is a manual labour intensive job.

Sooner787

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:52 pm

IIRC, the USS Kitty Hawk is the only carrier left in
Bremerton that will be towed to the breakers in Brownsville?

[Edited 2016-01-27 14:56:48]

LMP737

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 18):
IIRC, the USS Kitty Hawk is the only carrier left in
Bremerton that will be towed to the breakers in Brownsville?

The USS Independence is moored in Bremerton as well.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Sooner787

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Has anyone heard any recent news about plans to turn JFK CV-67
into a floating museum?

OR...will she too meet her end in Brownsville ?   

nomadd22
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 20):
into a floating museum?

The Navy has her up for adoption. They're talking about taking her to Rhode Island or Portland harbor.
Anon

L-188

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 9):
Bought a can of Coke that came in the new aluminum containers. First time I came across it as we only had the bin-based ones then, and had a bit of fun days later when I crushed the empty can with my fingers in front of awestruck mates.

You are really dating yourself there. I only claim first hand knowledge of soda can with pull style tabs

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 20):
into a floating museum?

If Ted Kennedy was still alive it probably would have been done already.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

kc135topboom

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 21):
The Navy has her up for adoption. They're talking about taking her to Rhode Island or Portland harbor.

I heard Battleship Cove in Fall River was also thinking about getting the Kennedy. It would be their second warship named Kennedy as the have the USS Kennedy, DD-850.

Sooner787

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:13 pm

Quoting kc135topboom (Reply 23):
I heard Battleship Cove in Fall River was also thinking about getting the Kennedy. It would be their second warship named Kennedy as the have the USS Kennedy, DD-850.

That would be a great home for JFK, I just worry that the longer she sits in Philly,
The more $$$$$$ it will cost to clean her up and prepare her to become a museum.

bully707

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Quoting kc135topboom (Reply 23):

That would be nice...!
Having been a liason officer on JFK during an excercise in the Caribbean in 1999...
Was with VAW123 "Screwtops" back then and enjoyed my time onboard immensly.

Followed her moves ever since and it really sucks seeing her mothballed in Philadelphia, off limits to enthusiasts...
"That's the good thing about the 707...it can do anything, but read!" Joe Patroni, Airport '70

Sooner787

Fri May 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Does anyone know if the Indy or Kitty Hawk will be the next
carrier to head from Bremerton to the Brownsville breakers?  

nomadd22
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 26):
Does anyone know if the Indy or Kitty Hawk will be the next
carrier to head from Bremerton to the Brownsville breakers?

Indy should be arriving in Brownsville this year. Kitty Hawk is still in reserve and her fate should be decided this year. I know Wilmington would like her.
Anon

Sooner787

Re: End Of The Line For 4 Carriers

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:55 pm

I read article this morning about the new larger Panama Canal channel openings 26 Jun 2016.

I wonder if the Indy can fit thru the larger locks?

Tugger

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:21 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
I read article this morning about the new larger Panama Canal channel openings 26 Jun 2016.

I wonder if the Indy can fit thru the larger locks?

Nope! It will be long and deep enough but that flight deck.... still no.

USS Independence CV-62 Dims:
Length: 1,070 ft
Beam at waterline: 130 ft
Max (flight deck): 270 ft
Draft: 37 ft

New Panamax:
Length: 1,200 ft
Width: 161 ft
Draft: 50 ft

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

studedave

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am

Tugger wrote:
Nope! It will be long and deep enough but that flight deck.... still no.

USS Independence CV-62 Dims:
Length: 1,070 ft
Beam at waterline: 130 ft
Max (flight deck): 270 ft
Draft: 37 ft

New Panamax:
Length: 1,200 ft
Width: 161 ft
Draft: 50 ft

Tugg

But the flight deck is about 50 above the waterline, sooooo....?

StudeDave

angad84

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:31 am

They flight deck will still probably interfere with the walls of the locks. Can't say for sure, but that's my educated guess.

Cheers
A

zanl188

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:50 am

New locks use tugs vs locomotives to move ships in and out. Therefore when considering dimensions allowance must be made for the tugs. IMHO carriers won't fit.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Tugger

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:40 pm

studedave wrote:
But the flight deck is about 50 above the waterline, sooooo....?

Each lock raises or lowers a ship by approximately 30 feet, ships have a 30 foot high walls to contend with:

Tugg

studedave

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Tugger wrote:
Each lock raises or lowers a ship by approximately 30 feet, ships have a 30 foot high walls to contend with:
Tugg

Yup- I know what a Carrier looks like- I've been to sea on about eight of them- from Coral Sea to Kitty Hawk to Enterprise and several of the Nimitz Class.
Now that I know about the walls, well, that will changes what I think.

But you know- even if it did fit- I'd bet the fees to use the locks would play into it as well. It's probably cheaper to take the long way 'round. I did it on CVN-72 back in 1990. It ain't so bad... :lol:

StudeDave

L-188

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:20 am

My understanding was to get some of the Essex class carriers through the canal during WWII when they still had straight flight decks, some of the 40mm gun tubs had to be cut off the side of the ship and then re-welded back on after the passage so it would fit.

There is some great footage of Yorktown making the passage in the WWII film, "The Fighting Lady" I think they have used shots from it on other films too.

Also if I remember correctly from the film they had to use 4" mooring lines hanging over the side for fenders because of the lack of side room didn't allow conventional fenders to be used in the lock.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.