747400sp
Topic Author

Russia Is Studying New Giant Supersonic Airlifter

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Good Morning

This morning, I saw a article where Russia, is planning on designing a giant super sonic military cargo transport. If Russia do this, will the United States follow suit?

Here is the link.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/03/rus...an-improbable-supersonic-mach.html

zanl188

RE: Russia Is Studying New Giant Supersonic Airlifter

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:13 pm

No. Will be very challenging to design one airframe that cruise supersonic, lift 200t, and slow down enough to airdrop at low level.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Oroka

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:03 pm

Supersonic Blended Body Wing airlifter? I dont see it being practical. Fast and heavy lift dont go together well.

rtfm

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 pm

And why would you design a supersonic heavy lift transport? Where in the world would the Russians (or anyone else for that matter) need to get a few tanks so quickly that a few hours (between supersonic vs subsonic) would make a difference?

Stitch

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
If Russia do this, will the United States follow suit?

They key is Russia won't do it. They don't have the technical expertise to design it, the industrial expertise to build it, or the financial expertise to afford it.

ptrjong

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Most importantly, they aren't stupid enough to do it  
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

tjh8402

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:01 pm

there was fun talk a few months ago about the US investigating a possible stealth STOL cargo plane. I would think something like that would be far more useful. Imagine being able to drop in Special Forces, vehicles, and heavy equipment either by jumps or though short landings without being seen. It's payload might also come in handy to help it accompany and tanker fuel for thirsty F35s and F22s in contested airspace.

flyingturtle

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 5):
Most importantly, they aren't stupid enough to do it

1. Borrow a book on the Boeing 2707.
2. Don't do it that way.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

1. Borrow a book on the Concorde.
2. Open the floodgates of the government subsidies.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

moo

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 4):

They key is Russia won't do it. They don't have the technical expertise to design it, the industrial expertise to build it, or the financial expertise to afford it.

Neither did anyone else until they built it. If Russia doesnt have the necessary ability today, what better way to get it than by doing?

Not having the ability to do something is not a reason not to attempt it anyway.

TWA772LR

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:57 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 4):
They don't have the technical expertise to design it

Waaaaaayyyyyyy wrong. Russia, at least in the Soviet days, has a very talented aerospace engineering pool. Had WW2 happened, Sergey Korolov would've made his space plane that would've enabled humans to fly at the edge of space, in the 40s! The Bear bomber is still in active service in large numbers, 50+ years after introduction, and is still the fastest turboprop ever built. And the wing on the Tu204/334 is often touted as one of the most efficient wings ever designed.

The Russians know what they're doing. Gaining the money to do so, is another;which is where we agree.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

prebennorholm

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:42 am

This is eye candy only.

First of all those wing root engine intakes are shaped in a way which will totally prohibit supersonic flight. The shock waves in those intakes will make the engines gasp for air already at Mach 0.8. At any higher speed they will work like a landing drag chute.

Except for the completely foolish intakes and the V-tail the configuration isn't too dissimilar to the Tu-160. Neither are performance figures.

Range with payload 7,000 km at Mach 1.6 (Tu-160 4,000 km at Mach 1.5, much more subsonic, some less at Mach 2.0).

But payload is 25-30 times heavier than the Tu-160!!! Go and figure....

It is a little slower than the Concorde, but has considerably longer range. The Concorde needed to carry 10 tonnes of fuel for every single tonne of payload.

Load it with two thousand tonnes of fuel (5 times the MTOW of a B744), then go and apply advances in engine-, aerodynamic- and structural technology since the Concorde, and we end up with a pretty mighty bird. The man we see next to the plane on the video is at least 30 feet tall.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

ssteve

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:33 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 9):

Quote:
They don't have the technical expertise to design it

Waaaaaayyyyyyy wrong. Russia,

There's an implied "well" after "design it" that has a lot of implications for reliability, low cost, and efficiency. Hell, the US can design massive container ships, but it doesn't mean we're about to start a production line, either...

Tugger

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:11 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 10):
First of all those wing root engine intakes are shaped in a way which will totally prohibit supersonic flight. The shock waves in those intakes will make the engines gasp for air already at Mach 0.8. At any higher speed they will work like a landing drag chute.

Interesting thing is those wring root engines are apparently electric and powered by the center-mounted gas turbine! It's at the two minute mark. (Or is it indicating that only the fans are electrically powered?)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Francoflier

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:10 am

Russia has already had a supersonic cargo aircraft: The TU-144.

It did almost as many cargo only flights than scheduled passenger flight.
Of course, they had so little faith in the reliability and safety of the airplane that they didn't dare put any passengers in it towards the end.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.