Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

broke
Topic Author

National Museum Of The Usaf

Fri May 20, 2016 9:32 pm

On June 8th, the 4th building at the NMUSAF will open. The building itself has not yet been named, but it is divided into 3 sections: Space and Research and Development, Presidential and Global Reach. All of the Presidential Aircraft and most of the Research and Development Aircraft that were in hangars across Wright Field from the museum have been moved into the new building. Some of the aircraft that were in the Air Park have been moved into the new building.
Aircraft that will open for visitors to tour include: FDR's "Sacred Cow" VC-54, HST's "Independence" VC-118, DDE's "Columbine III" VC-121E, and JFK's VC-137C 26000. The interiors of all 4 aircraft are lined with plexiglass panels and the floors have been reinforced with diamond plate to ensure the integrity of the interiors and to reduce wear and tear which turned out to be significant while they were on display at their previous location.
In the Global Reach Gallery the following aircraft will be open to visitors: C-82 "Packet" predecessor to the C-119 "Flying Box Car", the C-130E "Hercules" and the C-141C "Hanoi Taxi".
With the opening date coming upon us so quickly, many smaller exhibits and engines will not be on displayed at first, but as time goes on these will appear in the new building gradually. As the old saying goes: "The Devil is in the Details".
The following items have been moved (or will be moved) to the new building: KH-7, KH-8, KH-9 space surveillance satellites, the Mercury Capsule, the Gemini Capsule, the Apollo 15 Command Capsule, the Space Shuttle Crew Compartment Trainer, the LR-87 Rocket Engine, the LR 79 Rocket Engine, the C-21 Lear 35, the Project Man High Balloon Gondola, the Project Excelsior Balloon Gondola, the Defense Support Program Early Warning Satellite (a mock-up) and Project Star Gazer Balloon Gondola.
There will be additional aircraft on display that have never been exhibited at the NMUSAF. The weekend of June 11/12 is expected to be very busy and the following weekend of June 18/19 is the weekend of the Dayton Airshow, which is also likely to be busy.
The museum is large and with all of the buildings open and if a visitor tours all the galleries as they are laid out, a visitor will have walked a distance of almost 2 miles or close to 3.22 kilometers.

Moose135

RE: National Museum Of The Usaf

Fri May 20, 2016 10:58 pm

I'm really looking forward to this! It's been nearly 10 years since I visited the museum. I'm planning to take some time off after the summer, and spend a few days at the museum to check out the new building, along with everything else.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

broke
Topic Author

Sat May 21, 2016 12:26 am

The more time you have, the more you can enjoy all the museum has to offer. If you become a "Friend of the Museum" $30, you get a 20% discount in the gift shop and at the IMAX theater and at the simulators in the Korea/Southeast Asia galleries. You also get a wonderful quarterly magazine, which includes also discounts for the gift shops. Also (now don't tell anyone) on Fridays there are tours of the museum's restoration shops. You can register on line ahead of time or you can take your chances and register at the museum on the Friday morning you plan to be at the museum.

Revelation

Sat May 21, 2016 3:11 am

Quoting broke (Thread starter):
National Museum Of The Usaf

Thanks for the post!

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 1):
I'm really looking forward to this! It's been nearly 10 years since I visited the museum. I'm planning to take some time off after the summer, and spend a few days at the museum to check out the new building, along with everything else.

For me it's been 20 or more years.

I don't normally visit Dayton. Last time I got my now ex-wife to make a detour on a business trip. Now that it's been updated I'm going to try to find a chance to go again. No idea if/when I can make it happen, but it all starts with the intention....

Seems like a lot of the space stuff (KH satellites especially) and the balloon gondolas (good timing after the recent NOVA special) will be of special interest.

Quoting broke (Reply 2):
The more time you have, the more you can enjoy all the museum has to offer. If you become a "Friend of the Museum" $30, you get a 20% discount in the gift shop and at the IMAX theater and at the simulators in the Korea/Southeast Asia galleries. You also get a wonderful quarterly magazine, which includes also discounts for the gift shops. Also (now don't tell anyone) on Fridays there are tours of the museum's restoration shops. You can register on line ahead of time or you can take your chances and register at the museum on the Friday morning you plan to be at the museum.

Thanks for the excellent tip.

Some of us might actually earn back that $30 by one trip to the museum and gift shop!  
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

HaveBlue

Sat May 21, 2016 5:39 am

I have been going to that museum for 20 years now and it is beyond amazing. I have been to the official USN Aviation Museum in Pensacola which is extraordinary, the US Army Aviation Museum in my birthplace of Ft. Rucker and several others (Mobile, AL, Warner Robins AFB, Eglin AFB, Udvar Hazy, Fantasy of Flight) but the Dayton museum is by far the most impressive, breathtaking, all encompassing Panacea of aircraft history and I have never had enough time to fully partake in what it has to offer.

Revelation

Sat May 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 4):
I have been going to that museum for 20 years now and it is beyond amazing. I have been to the official USN Aviation Museum in Pensacola which is extraordinary, the US Army Aviation Museum in my birthplace of Ft. Rucker and several others (Mobile, AL, Warner Robins AFB, Eglin AFB, Udvar Hazy, Fantasy of Flight) but the Dayton museum is by far the most impressive, breathtaking, all encompassing Panacea of aircraft history and I have never had enough time to fully partake in what it has to offer.

I'm also a big fan of aviation museums. It's one of the reasons I want to go back to the USAF museum. My impression back then was it had phenomenal content (any place you can see a Valkyrie and a B-36 has to be such) but I thought it in places fell short on presentation. I remember walking through the hangar with the 100 series of fighters from the 50s and thinking this feels like an airplane showroom or even warehouse, because there was very little to put the aircraft into the context of how they were used. I've heard the Museum has improved a lot in this regard, so I'm excited to see it again if/when I get the chance.

For what it's worth, I thought the San Diego's aerospace museum did an excellent job of presentation, one of the best I've seen. Of course it's tiny relative to Dayton, but still. Also if you ever get to the UK, Duxford is a mandatory stop, especially if you like the WWII era content. They have an embarrassment of riches in that regard. I also liked the RAF Cosford museum. One of my relatives did me the huge favor of taking me there and it was quite enjoyable.

Stitch

Sat May 21, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm so glad that the Presidential and R&D planes are being brought back to the main museum so now you have more than the one hour to tour them. I pretty much had to skip the Presidential wing because I spent almost my entire hour in the R&D wing (which is the main reason I went to the museum, admittedly).

Quoting Revelation (Reply 5):
For what it's worth, I thought the San Diego's aerospace museum did an excellent job of presentation, one of the best I've seen.

Yes, I was very impressed with that one.

The Museum of Flight in Seattle really did an amazing job with their WWI and WW2 annex, as well. You really get a feel for the eras.

[Edited 2016-05-21 07:25:56]

7BOEING7

Sat May 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 5):
Also if you ever get to the UK, Duxford is a mandatory stop, especially if you like the WWII era content. They have an embarrassment of riches in that regard. I also liked the RAF Cosford museum.

Let's not leave out the RAF Museum in Hendon, on par with Duxford if not better.

Oroka

Sat May 21, 2016 7:19 pm

I realized last week im only about 5 hours from Dayton. I go to airshows for the ground displays, I love spending hours in good aviation museums. I intend on making the drive later in the summer. I wish I could make it for the airshow, but I dont have a passport yet  

Revelation

Sat May 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Quoting 7BOEING7 (Reply 7):
Let's not leave out the RAF Museum in Hendon, on par with Duxford if not better.

Interesting. I enjoyed Hendon but thought Duxford was more enjoyable, but all of this was in the mid 90s so I could be remembering it inaccurately.

I remember being pissed off at Hendon since I took the tube from London and didn't understand the maps and ended up with the wrong kind of ticket. A cop pulled me aside and showed absolutely no mercy, he banged me for a fine that was IIRC something like 12 UKP whereas the correct fare would have been a pound or two at most.

scbriml

Sun May 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 9):
Interesting. I enjoyed Hendon but thought Duxford was more enjoyable, but all of this was in the mid 90s so I could be remembering it inaccurately.

Not sure about Hendon, but Duxford has certainly changed a lot. The new American Air Museum exhibit is quite stunning by UK aircraft museum standards.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/iwm-duxford/american-air-museum

I managed to persuade my wife we should go as part of a trip to visit Cambridge. In the end we spent the best part of a day there (including a pleasure flight in a Dragon Rapide!) She absolutely loved it and took great interest in the human story side of many of the exhibits.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 9):
I remember being pissed off at Hendon since I took the tube from London and didn't understand the maps and ended up with the wrong kind of ticket. A cop pulled me aside and showed absolutely no mercy, he banged me for a fine that was IIRC something like 12 UKP whereas the correct fare would have been a pound or two at most.

That's pretty mean-spirited behaviour towards a, presumably obvious visitor. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the UK!

As to the USAF museum, it's certainly on my aviation bucket list, but Ohio is a little off the beaten track for most non-American visitors. I'm going to have to see how I can work it into a trip at some point.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

KFLLCFII

Sun May 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks for the post. Can't wait to see it!

Quoting broke (Thread starter):
With the opening date coming upon us so quickly, many smaller exhibits and engines will not be on displayed at first, but as time goes on these will appear in the new building gradually.

Is there any idea when these other exhibits will all be over? I'd prefer to wait until it's completely finished before committing to the trip.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

broke
Topic Author

Sun May 22, 2016 8:44 pm

The items that won't on display at the opening of the 4th building will be added gradually. In addition, with so much effort being put into getting the 4th building up and running on time, a backlog of house keeping items have been placed on hold in the rest of the museum. These items will be addressed once the 4th building is open, but it will take time. If anyone waits for additional items to go on display before they visit, they will be missing out on what is already on view.
The full time museum staff totals 96 very dedicated people and about 520 volunteers. The requirement for volunteer positions in building 4 almost equal the daily volunteer docent manning for the rest of the museum and that doesn't count all the other divisions in the museum that rely on assistance from volunteers such as restoration, research, education, special events.
If you go to the museum's web site you can see the floor plan for the 4th building with the aircraft, missiles, and SLN (Stem Learning Nodes) identified. Aircraft that are shown outside of the building envelope in the drawing are hung from the ceiling.
On Oct 1st and 2nd, the museum will host its semiannual "Dawn Patrol" with many WW I replica aircraft on display and flying. With the 100th anniversary of the events of WW I in progress, the "Dawn Patrol's" of 2014, 2016 and 2018 were and will be even more special.

kc135topboom

Mon May 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Yeah but they still don't have a KC-135A, Q, or E. There are plenty sitting in the desert. There is no airplane in the US Military inventory that says "global reach" like the KC-135 does.

No, I don't want to see a KC-135R or T, just the A, Q, or E models, and with SAC markings, no AMC or ACC.

dkswim

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:46 am

Have you guys seen the virtual tour of the Air Force Museum
http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-std.html

Buckeyetech

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Quoting kc135topboom (Reply 13):

Is there any left with J57's laying around?
B-52H, C-141C, C-5A, C-17A

Galaxy5007

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:55 am

I volunteer at the AMC Museum at Dover AFB and am the DCC of KC-135E 57-1507. The NMUSAF is waiting for an R model down the road, just as they are going to wait for a C-5M down the road. Our museum has 33 aircraft and we operate with 3 paid staff members, a GI from the base, a contracted collections and graphics person, and a foundation paid employee to oversee restoration projects, and I am one of about 180 volunteers that keep this place growing. We are the number one attraction in the state of Delaware (we beat out alot of beach resorts and things up near Wilmington). We are linked as a field museum to the NMUSAF; they are beyond impressed on what we have done here. We are the only museum to have a C-5A on display, and in its original paint scheme. We just picked up an L-2 from NMUSAF that will be in our hangar by the end of the year if all goes well.

Moose135

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:06 am

I've heard lots of good things about the AMC Museum, and always want to stop for a visit when I'm going between Long Island and NC, but it seems like I'm always out that way on a Monday, when you guys are closed. One of these days...
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

vzlet

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:38 am

Quoting kc135topboom (Reply 13):
they still don't have a KC-135

That's always puzzled me too, because it's the single type that arguably has had the most significant impact on USAF operations throughout its history.
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

zanl188

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Quoting vzlet (Reply 18):

Could be the aircraft NMUSAF wants is still in service. They usually go for a particular, historically significant airframe. I was surprised they didn't take one of the Speckled Trouts.

Titan IVB: Seeing this baby would worth a trip to the Museum all by itself. Only one in existence.

http://youtu.be/Y9pE9SQSGs8
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

rfields5421

Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:49 am

When we were there last October, I was quite upset that the XB-70 was not on display. But we got lucky, stayed a couple extra days and got to see it outside. The weather was good the day before the official move, and it was outside being washed. Let me walk right up to the tires.
Not all who wander are lost.

miamiflyer8

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:01 am

Looking forward to visiting!
Yours sincerely, miamiflyer8