Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryu2
Topic Author

Strange AF1 Routing To Vietnam

Tue May 24, 2016 5:53 pm

I saw here: https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/734393678735790081

that AF1 enroute to Vietnam took a very indirect route. Is this normal or is it political due to China?

bikerthai

RE: Strange AF1 Routing To Vietnam

Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Yes, I suppose they are avoiding China air space and the disputed man made Island. The visit to Vietnam itself is an affront to China so I suspect the Chinese quietly refused overflight and the US wanted to avoid antagonizing China.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

zeke

Wed May 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Quoting bikerthai (Reply 1):

If you don't know the area, suggest you google man made islands South China Sea and fix your inaccurate post up.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

kc135topboom

Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 pm

This routing obviously was to avoid any perceived Chinese claim to airspace over both the East China Sea and the South China Sea as much as possible. AF-1 went well south of the Chinese man-made islands in the South China Sea. It also avoided overflying the disputed islands claimed by China, Taiwan, and Japan in the East China Sea.
Obama does send US Navy warships to sail past and USAF aircraft to fly over the disputed areas on a regular bases just to let the Chinese know we will exercise freedom of navigation.
He just won't do it with AF-1.

Max Q

Wed May 25, 2016 5:28 pm

Don't think Obama picked the route somehow !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

zeke

Wed May 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Quoting kc135topboom (Reply 3):
AF-1 went well south of the Chinese man-made islands in the South China Sea

No they didn't, you need to know what you are talking about to make factual comments.

http://www.sisterraquel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/592-JPEG-US-China-Triangles2.jpg

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/files/2014/03/South-China-Sea.jpg

Quoting kc135topboom (Reply 3):
It also avoided overflying the disputed islands claimed by China, Taiwan, and Japan in the East China Sea.

More likely avoiding the new Chinese ADIZ and flying further south via Naha.

Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

bikerthai

Wed May 25, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 2):
If you don't know the area, suggest you google man made islands South China Sea and fix your inaccurate post up.

The map that I saw had the Island in the Paracels. Must be looking at the wrong island.

bt

zeke

Wed May 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Quoting bikerthai (Reply 6):
The map that I saw had the Island in the Paracels. Must be looking at the wrong island.

That is Woody Island its not that a big of a deal, it is actually close to China.

The one of greatest concern today is Fiery Cross Reef with a 3000+m runway. It has the ability to fire missile on any country, ship, or aircraft. The significance of this runway is it way outside any legitimate claim China can make in the South China Sea. We are expecting any time now for a ruling to come down against China in the Hague to say this is illegal, hand it over to the Philippines. China has already been doing the prep expectation management saying the UN has no jurisdiction and they will not recognize the ruling.

This is the same island that China said it would fire on a USN vessel that transited 12 nm away. It is also where you hear China making threats on 121.5 to shoot other aircraft down. People are going to get hurt.

More 3000m runways are being built.

http://amti.csis.org/new-imagery-release/

Flighty

Wed May 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 7):
This is the same island that China said it would fire on a USN vessel that transited 12 nm away. It is also where you hear China making threats on 121.5 to shoot other aircraft down. People are going to get hurt.

I would like to hear what Trump has in mind for this. Can we do anything?

If the US is acknowledging these fake ADIZ zones then I am very disappointed.

Max Q

Thu May 26, 2016 3:52 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 8):
I would like to hear what Trump has in mind for this.

Er, I wouldn't, I can guarantee whatever it is it's either, ignorant, idiotic, provocative
or most likely, all of the above.

GGg

11Bravo

Thu May 26, 2016 6:14 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 9):
Er, I wouldn't, I can guarantee whatever it is it's either, ignorant, idiotic, provocative

I would add dangerous and reckless to that list.
WhaleJets Rule!

GDB

Thu May 26, 2016 7:03 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 10):

....or whatever position he states will change within, well perhaps a week, day, hour or even within the same jumble of words approximating a sentence.

bikerthai

Thu May 26, 2016 1:44 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 7):
It is also where you hear China making threats on 121.5 to shoot other aircraft down. People are going to get hurt.

During time of peace, this island works as a great political statement to the world and a solid outpost into the land of the barbarians. During times of war, like many outposts, it would be impossible to support and re-supply and would be sacrificed . . .

bt

[Edited 2016-05-26 06:45:13]

[Edited 2016-05-26 06:45:28]

Flighty

Sun May 29, 2016 6:21 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 9):

So we should say nothing and the world surrenders the western Pacific to the Chinese triads / CCP?

Flaps

Sun May 29, 2016 10:48 pm

That new U.S. Navy railgun could pretty much clear those man made islands right off the map once and for all. Problem solved. Nothing left for anyone to fight over, no nuclear fallout or contamination and wide open sea lanes permitting free passage for all (including China).

Max Q

Mon May 30, 2016 5:51 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 13):
So we should say nothing and the world surrenders the western Pacific to the Chinese triads / CCP?

Er, who's doing that ?

Triad's ? do you know what that term means ?

GGg

Flighty

Mon May 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 15):
Triad's ? do you know what that term means ?

PLA Navy, Chinese mafia, one and the same. The people who apparently order AF1 around now. Did you know you can buy a Generalship in the PLA for a couple million... no training...

kc135topboom

Mon May 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 8):
I would like to hear what Trump has in mind for this. Can we do anything?
Quoting Max Q (Reply 9):
Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 10):

What the Chinese are doing in the South and East China Seas isn't dangerous too?

The US is China's biggest trading partner. A President Trump could put heavy tariffs, reduce trade, or stop trade altogether. Lord knows Obama would never do this.

China wants the oil and natural gas from the South China Sea, without having to buy it from Vietnam or the Philippines. This is a Chinese military take over of several countries UN recognized EECs.

L-188

Tue May 31, 2016 12:29 am

Quoting bikerthai (Reply 1):
the US wanted to avoid antagonizing China.

Obama is an appeaser so it fits they would go ahead and cow-tow the chi-com line on their fake islands.

Quoting kc135topboom (Reply 17):
What the Chinese are doing in the South and East China Seas isn't dangerous too?

Yes, but they don't have a free press and an informed public to answer to.

Lord knows Obama would never do this.

Your right, he never has the stomach to stand up to anybody, that is why the rest of the world loves him. They get their way.

If he had any guts, a 500 flyby over one of those islands would be a heck of a way to give the Chinese a message.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JohnM

Tue May 31, 2016 1:06 am

Maybe the flight routing was part of an apology. Maybe an apology tour?

kanban

Tue May 31, 2016 3:56 am

Quoting JohnM (Reply 19):

maybe the flight routing was determined by the Secret Service as the best route to stay away from possible missile or aircraft interceptions.. The President does not pick the route, only the destination..

Max Q

Tue May 31, 2016 6:01 am

The US is China's biggest trading partner. A President Trump could put heavy tariffs, reduce trade, or stop trade altogether

Okay, and how is that a good thing ?  
Quoting L-188 (Reply 18):
Obama is an appeaser so it fits they would go ahead and cow-tow the chi-com line on their fake islands.

Kindly explain this statement using facts.

Quoting JohnM (Reply 19):

During which part of the 'tour' did our President apologize for anything ?

GGg

angad84

Tue May 31, 2016 9:08 am

The US is China's biggest trading partner. A President Trump could put heavy tariffs, reduce trade, or stop trade altogether. Lord knows Obama would never do this.

Yes, because Obama's head is NOT planted firmly up his colon...

...informed public...

There's a joke in here somewhere...

Quoting Max Q (Reply 21):
Kindly explain this statement using facts.

Indeed. The USA is pretty much the only country besides those directly affected by the 9 Dash Line that's doing *anything* at all.

Cheers
A

bikerthai

Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm

A President Trump could put heavy tariffs, reduce trade, or stop trade altogether.

If I remember right, the US had an oil embargo on Japan after it invaded China in 1936. One of the excuses for Japan to attack the US.

Keeping the lid on until the next president.

a 500 flyby over one of those islands would be a heck of a way to give the Chinese a message.

That would just guarantee that one of the plane would experience a mechanical failure and have to land on the island.   

Best way to deal with China is to diversify from it. Start moving your business elsewhere . . . to Vietnam for example.

But then again Walmart have too much at stake in China. Vietnam can't make enough cheap goods to fill it's stores.

Finally, need I remind those who want sable rattle that the blood that would be spilled would not be yours and mine, it would be our sons and daughters.

bt

pwm2txlhopper

Tue May 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Just out of curiosity, how does one find the route of Air Force 1 or any military aircraft?

zeke

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:28 am

In the paper today China is planning on enforcing an ADIZ over most of the South China Sea.

With this they have just taken over most of the EEZ of a number of countries.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...dentification-zone-south-china-sea
http://sputniknews.com/asia/20160601...h-china-defense-installations.html

trex8

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:54 pm

A week before the new Taiwan president is sworn in. This is how real professional diplomacy works, not cowboy antics. A twofer to show the PRC it aint theirs and dont have a tantrum about Tsai cuz the 7th fleet is always nearby.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2016/05/11/2003645985

Now if only any US administration would sell tankers to Taiwan, they can patrol their Tai Ping island (the only naturally habitable island amongst all these lousy rocks) with their own F16s.

Flighty

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:12 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 25):
In the paper today China is planning on enforcing an ADIZ over most of the South China Sea.

With this they have just taken over most of the EEZ of a number of countries.

IMO the Russia/Crimea model is in full effect here.

To talk of US/China was is unthinkable. Therefore, China can take everything they want from their weaker neighbors, so long as civilian casualties are minimal.

Plus, it has to be said, there is regime uncertainty in the USA. The current administration has an established, timid behavior pattern and will do nothing. At worst, we may demand a "summit" to "discuss" their conquest of sovereign territory.

bikerthai

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):

Not quite. While the countries in the area do have sizable Chinese populations, they don't seem in a hurry to declare a separate state in order to unify with mainland China.

At worst China will continue to reclaim Islands until they bump up to the borders of their neighbors. And if nobody starts a shooting war, then we will live with it. Not sure about the rest of America, I for one is fine with that.

bt

trex8

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:22 am

Quoting bikerthai (Reply 28):
Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):

Not quite. While the countries in the area do have sizable Chinese populations, they don't seem in a hurry to declare a separate state in order to unify with mainland China.

The Chinese in Hong Kong (mostly) and Taiwan (almost unanimously) want nothing to do with the PRC. The chances of the Chinese in ASEAN nations wanting to incite political change/violence to join the PRC is a zero chance probability. Unless mainland China becomes a true western liberal democracy at which point we will be living on Mars also.