Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pampa14
Topic Author

Western wings under the Red Star

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Wow! I share with you this fantastic and extensive report bringing a super collection of incredible, stunning and rare photos showing various types of American and British fighters in service with the Soviet Air Force during World War II. Many of the images and planes shown in the article were unknown to me and did not even know they had flown with the legendary Red Star. Be sure to visit the link below, you will also be amazed by the images:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/asas-ocidentais-sob-estrela-vermelha.html

Best Regards!

Dutchy

Re: Western wings under the Red Star

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:25 am

The west, especially America, send over lots of military equipment to the Soviets in WWII, to fight the Germans, the enemy of your enemy is your friend ;-)

After the war the Russians even build reversed engineered B-29's, in the form of Tu-4. Apparently they even went so far as to copy the Boeing logo on the yoke.

NBGSkyGod

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The west, especially America, send over lots of military equipment to the Soviets in WWII, to fight the Germans, the enemy of your enemy is your friend ;-)

After the war the Russians even build reversed engineered B-29's, in the form of Tu-4. Apparently they even went so far as to copy the Boeing logo on the yoke.

The B-29s landed in Russia due to a malfunction and they had to make an emergency landing. But yeah the Tupolev Design Bureau copied everything, even the battle damage repair patches on the original Tu-4.

Slcpilot

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:50 pm

The lend/lease agreements with Russia are well known and documented.

I am actually more curious about what more modern aircraft have made their way to Russia (Soviet Union?) and China. Many aircraft have been flown in the west and are fairly available, from Mig-15s, Mig-21s, Mig-29s (through German unification & otherwise) all the way up to Su-27s.

What aircraft have defected or been otherwise made their way to China and Russia? In the back of my memory it seems an F-86 ended up in North Korea at some point, and maybe F-16s have transited Israel and Pakistan to China, but I've never heard any definitive word. While no longer state of the art in any real fashion, it would be interesting to hear if any F-4s were ever flown to the East. I also only assume Iran made their F-14s available for inspection, but did they transfer any?

This subject has always interested me, since hearing about the "petting zoo" in Nevada, and wondering if the other side had their own!

Cheers!

SLCPilot

Acheron

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Slcpilot wrote:
The lend/lease agreements with Russia are well known and documented.

I am actually more curious about what more modern aircraft have made their way to Russia (Soviet Union?) and China. Many aircraft have been flown in the west and are fairly available, from Mig-15s, Mig-21s, Mig-29s (through German unification & otherwise) all the way up to Su-27s.

What aircraft have defected or been otherwise made their way to China and Russia? In the back of my memory it seems an F-86 ended up in North Korea at some point, and maybe F-16s have transited Israel and Pakistan to China, but I've never heard any definitive word. While no longer state of the art in any real fashion, it would be interesting to hear if any F-4s were ever flown to the East. I also only assume Iran made their F-14s available for inspection, but did they transfer any?

This subject has always interested me, since hearing about the "petting zoo" in Nevada, and wondering if the other side had their own!

Cheers!

SLCPilot

As far as I know there is only visual confirmations of the F-5E's sent from Vietnam to the USSR, Poland and Czechoslovakia, and some T-37's as well. And a F-4 and Mirage III were also photographed in Russia but it is hard to tell if it was legit.

NBGSkyGod

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:40 am

I would imagine that they got their hands on a several of the IrAF aircraft and equipment after the Islamic Revolution. Now if they were ever flown within the borders of the USSR or just remained in Iran I don't know.

VSMUT

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 am

Acheron wrote:
As far as I know there is only visual confirmations of the F-5E's sent from Vietnam to the USSR, Poland and Czechoslovakia, and some T-37's as well. And a F-4 and Mirage III were also photographed in Russia but it is hard to tell if it was legit.

The F-4 and Mirage III are just mock-ups, and are still parked in the same location today. The F-5E story was true, you can find a translation of the test pilots story in this link:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144200

If an F-4 or F-14 ever made it to the USSR in a flyable condition, it certainly isn't something that is known to anyone on the outside. But then again, would we ever know if it happened? None of the nations involved would really be interesting in divulging that information.
What is certain however is that they collected lots of wreckage from western aircraft. Some of the museums in Moscow display everything from F-16 and F-117 parts, to F-111 escape capsules and A-7 wings.

Other notable defections that might have allowed the USSR / Russians limited access to more advanced western types (for the time) involve:
A Saudi F-15C that defected to Sudan in 1990.
A defection of at least 1 Iranian F-14 and F-4 to Iraq in 1986 and 1984 respectively.
From Taiwan, at least 1 F-86F in 1963 and 1 F-5F in 1981, both to China.
A Venezuelan Canberra to Cuba in 1973.
An Iraqi Hawker Hunter to Syria in 1960.

So nothing in the same class as Viktor Belenko, but they might have had [limited] access to some pretty new and capable equipment from time to time.