Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
64947
Topic Author
Posts: 2277
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 am

Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:15 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37093854

6 Tu-22M3 bombers and some Su-34's have been transferred to Khamad Airbase in Iran in the last few days and they flew their first mission yesterday.

Great news for the Tupolevs as it cuts down the flight time to their targets in Syria. Before this they were taking off from Mozdok in Southern Russia, overflying the Caspian Sea, overflying Iranian and then Iraqi airspace and back again after.

Wishin' them all the best!
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Besides helicopter strikes, there have been 10,000 Russian sorties flown from Hmeymim airbase in Latakia province.
So far, including the Mozdok flights, there have been less than 100 sorties made by those Tupolevs, and now they've been withdrawn back to Mozdok again.
Yet there probably is a political message in this story.
 
wingman
Posts: 4295
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:48 pm

The US press went nearly berserk with this news like it was some kind of affront to our international standing. I don't know why people would think we'd ever try to or actually prevent two nations closely cooperating on many fronts to cooperate on a military one. It's not as if we're friends with either country and we already have (just guessing here) maybe 20 air bases and/or carrier groups within 1 hour of striking distance to just about any point in the ME. I've said it before, Syria is the literal arabic word for "quagmire" with red flashing lights all over it. Syria, Russia and Iran are aligned against these "allied rebels" we support, and which no one seems to be able to define in any kind of sensical way, while Turkey has a genocidal death wish against the Kurds we support in the north. I feel badly for the Syrian victims of this war, and you can't help but cry out for the bloodied child in Aleppo, but Syria is the very epicenter of everything that's gone wrong with this region and religion. If Russia wants to fix it I say we give them carte blanche. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from direct and sustained US military action in Syria. The country has never been friendly to the US and the lessons of of our miserable failure at nation-building in Iraq v2.0 should be like a hammer dropping on our big toe every day. Sadly the latter is not the case and there is still an endless yearning for warfare in this country.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2645
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:40 pm

wingman wrote:
The US press went nearly berserk with this news like it was some kind of affront to our international standing. I don't know why people would think we'd ever try to or actually prevent two nations closely cooperating on many fronts to cooperate on a military one. It's not as if we're friends with either country and we already have (just guessing here) maybe 20 air bases and/or carrier groups within 1 hour of striking distance to just about any point in the ME. I've said it before, Syria is the literal arabic word for "quagmire" with red flashing lights all over it. Syria, Russia and Iran are aligned against these "allied rebels" we support, and which no one seems to be able to define in any kind of sensical way, while Turkey has a genocidal death wish against the Kurds we support in the north. I feel badly for the Syrian victims of this war, and you can't help but cry out for the bloodied child in Aleppo, but Syria is the very epicenter of everything that's gone wrong with this region and religion. If Russia wants to fix it I say we give them carte blanche. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from direct and sustained US military action in Syria. The country has never been friendly to the US and the lessons of of our miserable failure at nation-building in Iraq v2.0 should be like a hammer dropping on our big toe every day. Sadly the latter is not the case and there is still an endless yearning for warfare in this country.


Your comments are right on. The current conflict in Syria has so many different sides that the United States should steer clear of that country and let all of the various parties and actors hash it out. Keep in mind too that the Syrian people have a long history (all the way back to Old Testament times) of engaging in warfare with their neighbors. I don't think they are going to change anytime soon.
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:12 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Keep in mind too that the Syrian people have a long history (all the way back to Old Testament times) of engaging in warfare with their neighbors. I don't think they are going to change anytime soon.
This is utterly untrue. This cliche has been used to keep the American populace uninformed for far too long. With the exception of foreign invasions (and yes the British / French actions in the early 20th century count as invasions) the Levant and greater Syria region has been a pastoral backwater in the history of war.
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:32 am

And Russia has been ejected from the Iranian base:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-ira ... -1.3730454
 
angad84
Posts: 2141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:13 am

ThePointblank wrote:
And Russia has been ejected from the Iranian base:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-ira ... -1.3730454

It's optics. Iran didn't want the attention, but were clearly willing to let the Russians do their thing from Iranian soil.

They'll sit around a while and then quietly let them back in again -- this time with the Russians playing things like adults.

Cheers
A
 
bhill
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:51 pm

"Ungentlemanly".....sheesh!!! Fine..then just chop off their fekin heads...
 
WIederling
Posts: 10041
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Russian AF starts using Iranian base

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:44 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Your comments are right on. The current conflict in Syria has so many different sides that the United States should steer clear of that country and let all of the various parties and actors hash it out.


The US is a core and causal actor in this conflict ( in lockstep with Saudia and some other nations all on a religious jihad.)

Without the US this conflict would not exist.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ssteve and 18 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos