alfa164
Topic Author
Posts: 3219
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Russian military plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:47 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38430164

A TU-154 with 70-100 passengers, departing from Sochi. Now appears not to be civilian aircraft after all.

So far, no more info
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title slightly updated
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
rj777
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:47 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:50 am

Oh boy! Not gonna be a good Christmas if the worst happens!
 
User avatar
KTPAFlyer
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:56 am

"...just minutes after takeoff..."

This just went from bad to worse.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5648
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:57 am

Prayers to those onboard & their families during this event.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2229
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:20 am

I wish its safe, otherwise.. Oh shit.. 7th possible hull loss in last 1 month
 
PanzerPowner
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:28 am

Well ain't that WONDERFULL. Another Hull Lose
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.
 
User avatar
KTPAFlyer
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:39 am

I have a flight later today, if this is playing on CNN in ATL, I will make sure to post a picture of the wide-eyed pax waiting to board.

In all seriousness, I hope everyone is safe. Seeing the words "loses radar contact" is appearing way more than it should. 2017 can't come fast enough.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:50 am

Aircraft is reported to be RA-85572.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4554
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:59 am

asuflyer wrote:
Aircraft is reported to be RA-85572.

1983 build, not that there's anything wrong with that.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:03 am

Anyone has METAR for Sochi?
 
User avatar
ZKNCL
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:00 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:08 am

Reports saying the plane was carrying the Red Army Choir AKA Alexandrov Ensemble for a New Years Concert. Prayers go to all those onboard and their families.
https://www.rt.com/news/371627-russia-m ... e-missing/
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24107
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:10 am

Last 5-hours of METARs. Nothing remarkable. Decent day.


URSS 250530Z 05004MPS 9999 BKN029 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/08005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250500Z 05005MPS 9999 BKN031 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07006MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250430Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT031 BKN083 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250400Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT027 OVC083 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/06005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250330Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT025 OVC083 06/02 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250300Z 07005MPS 9999 SCT022 OVC083 05/01 Q1018 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250230Z 06004MPS 9999 BKN033 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250200Z 07005MPS 9999 BKN033 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250130Z 07004MPS 9999 BKN032 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05005MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250100Z 08005MPS 9999 BKN032 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05006MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250030Z 07004MPS 9999 OVC026 05/01 Q1020 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/06005MPS MT OBSC QFE764
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:14 am

ZKNCL wrote:
Reports saying the plane was carrying the Red Army Choir AKA Alexandrov Ensemble for a New Years Concert. Prayers go to all those onboard and their families.
https://www.rt.com/news/371627-russia-m ... e-missing/


That article says:" Another source told TASS that the plane's chassis was discovered 1.5 kilometers from the shore." :cry:
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:18 am

Parts of the landing gear have been apparently located 6km off the coast of Sochi.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:22 am

LAXintl wrote:
Last 5-hours of METARs. Nothing remarkable. Decent day.


URSS 250530Z 05004MPS 9999 BKN029 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/08005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250500Z 05005MPS 9999 BKN031 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07006MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250430Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT031 BKN083 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250400Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT027 OVC083 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/06005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250330Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT025 OVC083 06/02 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250300Z 07005MPS 9999 SCT022 OVC083 05/01 Q1018 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250230Z 06004MPS 9999 BKN033 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250200Z 07005MPS 9999 BKN033 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250130Z 07004MPS 9999 BKN032 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05005MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250100Z 08005MPS 9999 BKN032 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05006MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250030Z 07004MPS 9999 OVC026 05/01 Q1020 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/06005MPS MT OBSC QFE764


Nice weather, and loss of radar contact was at 7.30 am local time, so probably in daylight even at this time of year. Don't want to speculate too much at this early stage, of course, but that makes CFIT due to spacial desorientation less likely, doesn't it?
 
User avatar
Siren
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:38 am

RWA380 wrote:
Prayers to those onboard & their families during this event.


Amen, but unfortunately it is not looking too hopeful at the moment. I'm hearing debris and passenger belongings are being recovered. All unconfirmed rumor at this point...
 
drajoshi
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:49 am

BBC reports 91 souls on board.
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2380
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:51 am

The aircraft is stated to have been en route to Syria, although hopefully this won't have any relevance. The military band on board was to play for Russian troops currently in that country. The BBC says that it was still within Russian airspace when it went down.
 
User avatar
Ytraveller
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:53 am

EDIT: Never mind, looks like that was a photo of some other crash.
 
User avatar
Siren
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:56 am

Ytraveller wrote:


The "debris" photos - one is the Metrojet crash in the Sinai from last year. The other one is completely unknown, and unrelated. Neither of them are from this accident.

EDIT: Looks like we were thinking the same thing at the same time Ytraveller. :)
 
Capt.Fantastic
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 1999 4:01 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:10 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Nice weather, and loss of radar contact was at 7.30 am local time, so probably in daylight even at this time of year. Don't want to speculate too much at this early stage, of course, but that makes CFIT due to spacial desorientation less likely, doesn't it?


I don't think so. Sunrise was at 7:53.
 
skywaymanaz
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:19 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Nice weather, and loss of radar contact was at 7.30 am local time, so probably in daylight even at this time of year.


Looks like sunrise is around 07:50 this time of year. Not exactly daylight but should have been bright enough to make out a horizon unless they were in the overcast. (The time zone is UTC+3 since late October 2014, it was +4 when the Olympics were there.)
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2531
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:34 am

It's been found at 50m depth 1,5km of the coast of Sochi, according to RT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e7tT3mh2A
 
Alexdk
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:19 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Last 5-hours of METARs. Nothing remarkable. Decent day.


URSS 250530Z 05004MPS 9999 BKN029 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/08005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250500Z 05005MPS 9999 BKN031 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07006MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250430Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT031 BKN083 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250400Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT027 OVC083 05/01 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/06005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250330Z 05004MPS 9999 SCT025 OVC083 06/02 Q1018 R02/090070 R06/090070 NOSIG RMK R06/07005MPS MT OBSC QFE762
URSS 250300Z 07005MPS 9999 SCT022 OVC083 05/01 Q1018 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250230Z 06004MPS 9999 BKN033 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250200Z 07005MPS 9999 BKN033 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05004MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250130Z 07004MPS 9999 BKN032 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05005MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250100Z 08005MPS 9999 BKN032 OVC083 05/01 Q1019 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/05006MPS MT OBSC QFE763
URSS 250030Z 07004MPS 9999 OVC026 05/01 Q1020 R06/090070 R02/090070 NOSIG RMK R02/06005MPS MT OBSC QFE764


Nice weather, and loss of radar contact was at 7.30 am local time, so probably in daylight even at this time of year. Don't want to speculate too much at this early stage, of course, but that makes CFIT due to spacial desorientation less likely, doesn't it?


The contact was actually lost at about 5:40 local time.
 
tu204
Posts: 2117
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:25 am

This aircraft was enroute from Chkalovsky Airbase in Moscow enroute to Khmeimim Airbase in Latakia, Syria with officers and artists onboard to perform for the troops stationed at Khmeimim.

Sochi was a refuelling stop.

Aircraft operated by Russian Aerospace Forces.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov
 
eielef
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:07 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:38 am

I heard it was RA-85155. And the Red Army Choir (now known as the Alexandrov Ensamble) was onboard (about 68 members, so all of it), which is by far one of the best choirs of Russia, which was going to perform a New Year concert in Syria. There is the hypothesis of a terrorist attack as well. Russia has been this week in high alert, after its ambassador to Turkey was shot dead in Ankara.
Also, a reminder, in Russia Christmas is on January the 7th. Today is as any other day. But is nevertheless a very tragedy.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:21 am

Are there any terrorist groups with that ability to plan such an attack? The logistics required are very great. Did the airplane overnight in Sochi? Who would have known their routings and been able to get to the airplane? The most likely scenario is non terrorist related.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1979
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:37 am

I saw on the news there are no survivors out of the 92 people. GREAT! ANOTHER ONE HAS CRASHED! Can't 2017 come so we can forget about the worst year of the 21st century? Also if it was nighttime an explosion would've been seen if the plane was so close to land, and there are no such reports, plus this was a goverment a/c, so security would've been much tighter. Spacial disorientation looks most likely at night. I hope it doesn't turn out to be pilot error. Never good to hear that on a goverment crash. Prayers to all the families
A350/CSeries = bae
 
User avatar
blackbox67
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:40 am

 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:55 am

OA940 wrote:
I saw on the news there are no survivors out of the 92 people. GREAT! ANOTHER ONE HAS CRASHED! Can't 2017 come so we can forget about the worst year of the 21st century? Also if it was nighttime an explosion would've been seen if the plane was so close to land, and there are no such reports, plus this was a goverment a/c, so security would've been much tighter. Spacial disorientation looks most likely at night. I hope it doesn't turn out to be pilot error. Never good to hear that on a goverment crash. Prayers to all the families

Do not worry little fella! In 2017 not a single person will die.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5750
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:59 am

Having listened to many pieces of the Red Army Choir, I feel sad. :frown:

Wasn't there a mid-air collision of a German military transport aircraft (an Ilyushin or a Tupolev) once, with a military band on board?


David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
ZKCIF
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:10 am

tu204 wrote:
This aircraft was enroute from Chkalovsky Airbase in Moscow enroute to Khmeimim Airbase in Latakia, Syria with officers and artists onboard to perform for the troops stationed at Khmeimim.

Sochi was a refuelling stop.



What is the point of the refueling stop?
ZIA-LTK is 1247nm only, Tu-154 can fly there and back, especially with as low a load as 84pax and low cargo (presumably, instruments only)

A crazily well-known person was onboard
Глинка, Елизавета Петровна
roughly, an equivalent of Mother Teresa
Last edited by ZKCIF on Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
airbuseric
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:24 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:11 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Having listened to many pieces of the Red Army Choir, I feel sad. :frown:

Wasn't there a mid-air collision of a German military transport aircraft (an Ilyushin or a Tupolev) once, with a military band on board?


There had been several crashes involving military bands being onboard the ill-fated aircrafts;

e.g. in 1996 a Lockheed Hercules crashed on landing in EIN carrying at least 37 members of the Dutch military fanfarekorps, as well the Belgium crew flying the plane.

Are you referring to the DHL Boeing 757 that had a mid-air collision with a Bashkirian Tu-154, when flying over Germany? It carried a large group of school children that went on a trip organized by UNESCO.
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5750
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:44 am

airbuseric wrote:
Are you referring to the DHL Boeing 757 that had a mid-air collision with a Bashkirian Tu-154, when flying over Germany? It carried a large group of school children that went on a trip organized by UNESCO.


No, I'm not. It was a German military transport aircraft of Eastern German origin carrying an army band somewhere over the Southern Atlantic ocean, it was a mid-air collision, and the cause of the crash was that one of the plane did not use the correct altitude in uncontrolled air space (when you're flying a 0 to 179 degrees heading, use certain altitudes, when you're flying a 180 to 359 degrees heading, use certain other altitudes).

Strange, but I can't find it right now on the web...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
dc863
Posts: 1480
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 10:52 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:49 am

A crash shortly after take-off to a place in a war zone. An act of terrorism? Someone wanting to pay Russia back after Aleppo?
 
Alexdk
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:51 am

The major causes considered are a mechanic failure and a birdstrike. A pilot error and a terrorist attack are currently considered unlikely.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:56 am

flyingturtle wrote:

No, I'm not. It was a German military transport aircraft of Eastern German origin carrying an army band somewhere over the Southern Atlantic ocean, it was a mid-air collision, and the cause of the crash was that one of the plane did not use the correct altitude in uncontrolled air space (when you're flying a 0 to 179 degrees heading, use certain altitudes, when you're flying a 180 to 359 degrees heading, use certain other altitudes).

Strange, but I can't find it right now on the web...

David


Routing these days is more complicated than that. Over the Atlantic, aircraft are not separated by RVSM levels. But by 1000 feet. And in some regions such as Spain and France, odd and even flight levels for north/south is reversed.
 
User avatar
BartSimpson
Posts: 634
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:01 am

flyingturtle wrote:
No, I'm not. It was a German military transport aircraft of Eastern German origin carrying an army band somewhere over the Southern Atlantic ocean, it was a mid-air collision, and the cause of the crash was that one of the plane did not use the correct altitude in uncontrolled air space (when you're flying a 0 to 179 degrees heading, use certain altitudes, when you're flying a 180 to 359 degrees heading, use certain other altitudes).


This is the accident you are thinking of - unfortunately only on the German wikipedia:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugzeugkollision_vor_Namibia_1997

The German Tupolev was on the way to Cape Town for a regatta on invitation of the South African Navy.
Last edited by BartSimpson on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Alexdk
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:03 am

flyingturtle wrote:
airbuseric wrote:
Are you referring to the DHL Boeing 757 that had a mid-air collision with a Bashkirian Tu-154, when flying over Germany? It carried a large group of school children that went on a trip organized by UNESCO.


No, I'm not. It was a German military transport aircraft of Eastern German origin carrying an army band somewhere over the Southern Atlantic ocean, it was a mid-air collision, and the cause of the crash was that one of the plane did not use the correct altitude in uncontrolled air space (when you're flying a 0 to 179 degrees heading, use certain altitudes, when you're flying a 180 to 359 degrees heading, use certain other altitudes).

Strange, but I can't find it right now on the web...

David


It was in 1997. It was a West German military TU 154 inherited from GDR. The plane was carrying not an orchestra, but some sailors who were about to participate in a boat race.
 
User avatar
kelvin933
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:09 am

flyingturtle wrote:
airbuseric wrote:
Are you referring to the DHL Boeing 757 that had a mid-air collision with a Bashkirian Tu-154, when flying over Germany? It carried a large group of school children that went on a trip organized by UNESCO.


No, I'm not. It was a German military transport aircraft of Eastern German origin carrying an army band somewhere over the Southern Atlantic ocean, it was a mid-air collision, and the cause of the crash was that one of the plane did not use the correct altitude in uncontrolled air space (when you're flying a 0 to 179 degrees heading, use certain altitudes, when you're flying a 180 to 359 degrees heading, use certain other altitudes).

Strange, but I can't find it right now on the web...

David

On 13 September 1997 there was a mid air collision between a German Air Force Tu-154 (GAF074) and a USAF C-141 Starlifter (REACH4201) off Namibia.


http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997 ... an-marines
https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19970913-1
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5750
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:18 am

Alexdk wrote:
It was in 1997. It was a West German military TU 154 inherited from GDR. The plane was carrying not an orchestra, but some sailors who were about to participate in a boat race.


Thanks to all for helping me out with the 1997 crash off Namibia. I thought it involved a military band (as it happened here). Memory + time = fuzzy memory.


David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
JayBCNLON
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:15 pm

dc863 wrote:
A crash shortly after take-off to a place in a war zone. An act of terrorism? Someone wanting to pay Russia back after Aleppo?


Except It couldn't be terrorisn if soldiers - for whatever reason - are going to a war zone where their army is one of the fighting parties. Any violent action - and we don't know whether that is what happened - would be a military strike and part of a military conflict. Soldiers die in war - that is what happens - as sad as it is. I hope governments around the world will stop sending soldiers into conflict.
Last edited by JayBCNLON on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
JayBCNLON
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:25 pm

ZKCIF wrote:
tu204 wrote:
This aircraft was enroute from Chkalovsky Airbase in Moscow enroute to Khmeimim Airbase in Latakia, Syria with officers and artists onboard to perform for the troops stationed at Khmeimim.

Sochi was a refuelling stop.



What is the point of the refueling stop?
ZIA-LTK is 1247nm only, Tu-154 can fly there and back, especially with as low a load as 84pax and low cargo (presumably, instruments only)

A crazily well-known person was onboard
Глинка, Елизавета Петровна
roughly, an equivalent of Mother Teresa



Well, Russian Air Force planes usually have to take a detour over the Caspian Sea towards Iran and via Iraq to Latakia. So that may explain the fuel stop.

It must be a very rough comparison as mother Theresa probably never flew on an Air Force plane into a war zone where the nation of the Air Force plane is a fighting party. It sounds more like Elisabeta Glinka was used by the Russian regime as troop entertainment and as camouflage for the atrocities taking place with Russian assistance to say the least. More like a Marilyn Monroe supporting the us troops in the Korean War.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14675
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:36 pm

Alexdk wrote:
The major causes considered are a mechanic failure and a birdstrike. A pilot error and a terrorist attack are currently considered unlikely.

The suggestion of a birdstike would make some sense as adjacent to a major body of water, but is that a particular risk at the departure airport ? Could there have been a mechanical error or mistake as to a flap setting ?
Still no matter who the victims are, their country or politics, we still say RIP as are human beings.
 
User avatar
Siren
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:42 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
airbuseric wrote:
Are you referring to the DHL Boeing 757 that had a mid-air collision with a Bashkirian Tu-154, when flying over Germany? It carried a large group of school children that went on a trip organized by UNESCO.


No, I'm not. It was a German military transport aircraft of Eastern German origin carrying an army band somewhere over the Southern Atlantic ocean, it was a mid-air collision, and the cause of the crash was that one of the plane did not use the correct altitude in uncontrolled air space (when you're flying a 0 to 179 degrees heading, use certain altitudes, when you're flying a 180 to 359 degrees heading, use certain other altitudes).

Strange, but I can't find it right now on the web...

David


I know this incident quite well, it also was a Tu-154M...

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19970913-1

Mid-air collision in 1997 with a C-141 Starlifter. Neither plane was TCAS equipped. The Tu-154 was at the wrong flight level, and Luanda ATC had lost contact with the Tupolev. They didn't, however, attempt other means of communication with them, nor did they advise the C-141 of the conflict. Purely an ATC screwup - a big one.

EDIT:
kelvin933 wrote:
On 13 September 1997 there was a mid air collision between a German Air Force Tu-154 (GAF074) and a USAF C-141 Starlifter (REACH4201) off Namibia.


http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997 ... an-marines
https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19970913-1


Looks like about 10 of you guys beat me to it... lesson here, kids? Check the most recent posts before you reply! :)
Last edited by Siren on Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:44 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Alexdk wrote:
The major causes considered are a mechanic failure and a birdstrike. A pilot error and a terrorist attack are currently considered unlikely.

The suggestion of a birdstike would make some sense as adjacent to a major body of water, but is that a particular risk at the departure airport ? Could there have been a mechanical error or mistake as to a flap setting ?
Still no matter who the victims are, their country or politics, we still say RIP as are human beings.


As I understand, they were airborne for 20 minutes, so that should rule out any erroneous flap setting. If that time frame is correct, even a bird strike seems strange, because if it happens at low altitude - which is the most common - and it takes out all your engines (à la Sully), then you don't stay airborne for 20 minutes (à la Sully again). If it happens at higher altitudes (rarer, as not too many birds up there), then you can glide back down to the airport (hopefully)and at least issue a Mayday, which to my understanding never happened here, they just "disappeared from radar".
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3734
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Alexdk wrote:
It was in 1997. It was a West German military TU 154 inherited from GDR. The plane was carrying not an orchestra, but some sailors who were about to participate in a boat race.


I am pretty sure that would be a unified German Tu-154 ;)
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Posts: 1159
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Very sad news.
I have an Alexandros Red Army Chorus album in my CD collection. 2-disc set, recorded live in a series of concerts in Toronto years ago. Great music, full of energy. Lots of Russian folk music. Haven't listened to it for a long time.
My house is full of Christmas music this morning, but I think I know what we'll be listening to later tonight...
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4310
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:24 pm

Reports now saying airport CCTV caught a flash of some sort after takeoff. Knowing how Russia is, we should be seeing the CCTV footage soon.

I am deeply saddened for this loss. I have heard rave reviews of this group and their performance. I am off to search YouTube for video of the choir. I may not have much luck, so if anyone can find a good video, it would be appreciated! My heart is with Russia today. :(
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
awthompson
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 9:59 pm

Re: Russian Plane "Disappears from Radar"

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:09 pm

It could not have been airborne twenty minutes as impact site is only a short distance from the airport, unless it had turned round and was on final approach to land back. Twenty seconds is more likely.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos