Cody12
Topic Author

Second Suborbital Test Flight Completed by Virgin Galactic

Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:50 pm

SpaceShipTwo is Virgin Galactic’s suborbital spaceplane which completed its second victorious trial flight on Thursday, as stated in a report by Jeff Foust from SpaceNews’.

VSS Unity, the suborbital vehicle, departed from Californian Mojave Air and Space Port around 16:20 Eastern attached itself to the carrier WhiteKnightTwo aircraft, Foust said. WhiteKnightTwo released the SpaceShipTwo after about 40 minutes, sliding back to a Mojave runway landing.

http://flyinganarchy.com/second-suborbi ... -galactic/
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed

kanban

Re: Second Suborbital Test Flight Completed by Virgin Galactic

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:32 pm

I believe Space News has it wrong.. the sub orbital vehicle can not take off by itself and then connect to the White Knight.. the two are mated on the ground and the White Knight takes it to an elevation where it is launched..

AirstairFear

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:44 pm

kanban wrote:
I believe Space News has it wrong.. the sub orbital vehicle can not take off by itself and then connect to the White Knight..

That's not what they said. If you change "attached itself" to "itself attached" or just "attached", then you'll see what they were trying to say.

kanban

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:40 am

It's pathetic writing and editing... when you read departed, attached itself, etc the sequence described construes a mid air attachment.. trying to reword it in one's head to match verbiage to fact is just bad writing.

sharles

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:44 am

Another way to explain: add a comma.
AirstairFear wrote:
VSS Unity, the suborbital vehicle, departed from Californian Mojave Air and Space Port around 16:20 Eastern, attached itself to the carrier WhiteKnightTwo aircraft, Foust said.

kanban wrote:
It's pathetic writing and editing... when you read departed, attached itself, etc the sequence described construes a mid air attachment.. trying to reword it in one's head to match verbiage to fact is just bad writing.

No it is not. I am not a native English speaker, and I understood the phrasing perfectly. Yes, the phrasing is unusual, but you should be happy that at least some author's English is not catering to the lowest common denominator.

WIederling

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:55 am

"Yes, the phrasing is unusual, but you should be happy that at least some author's English is not catering to the lowest common denominator."

News offerings or scientific scripts are not intended to be entrants to innovative language use.
The intention is to be precise in description.
( not achieved here :-)
Murphy is an optimist

kanban

Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:27 pm

OK enough beating that dead horse. Kudos for the flight though.

neutrino

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:52 pm

AirstairFear wrote:
kanban wrote:
I believe Space News has it wrong.. the sub orbital vehicle can not take off by itself and then connect to the White Knight..

That's not what they said. If you change "attached itself" to "itself attached" or just "attached", then you'll see what they were trying to say.

Or just omit the word "itself". Will be clearer then.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Francoflier

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:22 am

Just to clarify, this was a glide test only. Unity was dropped from White Knight 2 and glided to a landing. It was not a suborbital flight (well, technically, I guess it was in the sense that it was well under any orbiting altitude and speed :innocent: ).

This was the second glide test for Unity, almost a month after the 1st one. Apparently they had to wait a little while before the second one to iron out a few issues that came up during the first.

In any case, it's good to hear from Virgin Galactic and to know they're making progress. Understandably, they are a lot more cautious and a lot less bombastic about their headway these days... "Space is hard".
I wish them well.

http://www.space.com/35137-virgin-galactic-ends-2016-with-second-spaceshiptwo-glide-flight.html
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

AirlineCritic

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks for the accurate information, Francoflier! Indeed, lets wish the good luck and good progress!

Francoflier

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:49 pm

There's finally some exciting news from Virgin Galactic, with the first supersonic flight of their rocket-powered Unity spaceship:

https://twitter.com/virgingalactic?ref_ ... r%5Eauthor
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

zanl188

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:31 pm

How far behind are they now? 5 years?
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Nomadd

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:18 am

zanl188 wrote:
How far behind are they now? 5 years?

Their original goal was to be in space by the end of 2009.

parapente

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 am

At the time of winning the X prise this dual aircaft technology did appear the right way to go.For both tourism 'hops' and indeed launching small satellites.A decade on and sadly this is not the case (imho).Small sat's are now being launched by very cost effective small rockets -and bolted on to larger ones.
Regarding tourism -I am not so sure.Of course you have Jeff Bezos who appears to be ready whenever he cares to start.Bit I noted yesterday an article (BBC website) of a space hotel that is being actively planned.
I know that Spacex are not interested in space tourism but with BFR they could (if they wished) lob 50-100 pax up in one go.Do a few circuits of the Earth and come back -probably for half the price.And sell a few hats as well !!
I do wish them the best though.

Francoflier

Wed May 30, 2018 5:19 am

Things finally seem to be picking up pace over at Virgin Galactic.

VSS Unity just carried out its second supersonic flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsPHywoQZWA
http://www.virgingalactic.com/articles/ ... ic-Flight/

They said it reached Mach 1.9 which, in itself, is not particularly impressive I suppose but then again it was going straight upwards...
Altitude reached was 114,500 ft, which is still some ways away from the Karman line (though I'm not sure what their ultimate goal is).

If the video is to be believed, it seems the trajectory was ballistic and that they were inverted near apogee, in free fall.

Looks like a fun ride!

Seabear

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 pm

https://www.virgingalactic.com/articles ... at-Mach-2/

Mach 2.4, apogee 170,800 feet.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/27/63294519 ... est-flight

Sir Richard quoted "Before the end of the year I hope to be sitting in a Virgin Galactic spaceship, going to space"...