User avatar
YuriMG2
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: Embraer KC-390 prospects

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Embraer close to completing Portuguese KC-390 contract

Embraer is on the verge of completing a deal with Portugal confirming the country as the first export customer for the KC-390 tanker transport.

“We are discussing with the government the final contract,” the Brazilian airframer’s chief executive Paulo Cesar Silva said at a pre-Farnborough air show media briefing in Lisbon on 26 June.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ra-449773/
 
User avatar
SAS A340
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:59 am

Re: Embraer KC-390 prospects

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:17 pm

It seems that Sweden has postponed the upgrade of its old C-130H in favor of financing the purchase of the Patriot anti-aircraft system. Assuming that you finally come to a point when it is simply not worth to upgrade because of the plane's age, and if this is the case here I do not know, but our C-130 is quite old. The KC-390 has been mentioned as a replacement, especially since Brazil buys the Gripen.
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!
 
Ozair
Posts: 2795
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Embraer KC-390 prospects

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:31 pm

SAS A340 wrote:
It seems that Sweden has postponed the upgrade of its old C-130H in favor of financing the purchase of the Patriot anti-aircraft system. Assuming that you finally come to a point when it is simply not worth to upgrade because of the plane's age, and if this is the case here I do not know, but our C-130 is quite old. The KC-390 has been mentioned as a replacement, especially since Brazil buys the Gripen.

NZ is flying the first three C-130H off the production line, from 1965, and they will likely serve until they are at least 58 years old. The US is upgrading existing H models so there is certainly scope for more life. I imagine Sweden would have a similar or less intensive profile to NZ for their C-130 fleet.

Edit: It appears that the bulk of Sweden's C-130H fleet was delivered in 1981, http://www.c-130.net/aircraft-database/ ... rce/SweAF/ so there should be plenty of scope for an upgrade of the current aircraft in a couple of years over replacement by a new aircraft such as the KC-390. All indications are that Sweden now won't look for a C-130H replacement until the early 2030s.
 
Nean1
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: Embraer KC-390 prospects

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Ozair wrote:
SAS A340 wrote:
It seems that Sweden has postponed the upgrade of its old C-130H in favor of financing the purchase of the Patriot anti-aircraft system. Assuming that you finally come to a point when it is simply not worth to upgrade because of the plane's age, and if this is the case here I do not know, but our C-130 is quite old. The KC-390 has been mentioned as a replacement, especially since Brazil buys the Gripen.

NZ is flying the first three C-130H off the production line, from 1965, and they will likely serve until they are at least 58 years old. The US is upgrading existing H models so there is certainly scope for more life. I imagine Sweden would have a similar or less intensive profile to NZ for their C-130 fleet.

Edit: It appears that the bulk of Sweden's C-130H fleet was delivered in 1981, http://www.c-130.net/aircraft-database/ ... rce/SweAF/ so there should be plenty of scope for an upgrade of the current aircraft in a couple of years over replacement by a new aircraft such as the KC-390. All indications are that Sweden now won't look for a C-130H replacement until the early 2030s.


Ozair,

There is a very positive understanding between Saab, Embraer and the Brazilian Air Force as result of the Grippen project. Therefore there is confidence that the KC-390 will be considered in replacing the Swedish C-130s.

Many believe that Brazil will need a 2nd tranche of Grippen aircraft and this will open additional negotiations involving the KC-390 exports in exchange.
 
Ozair
Posts: 2795
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Embraer KC-390 prospects

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 am

Nean1 wrote:
Ozair,

There is a very positive understanding between Saab, Embraer and the Brazilian Air Force as result of the Grippen project. Therefore there is confidence that the KC-390 will be considered in replacing the Swedish C-130s.

Many believe that Brazil will need a 2nd tranche of Grippen aircraft and this will open additional negotiations involving the KC-390 exports in exchange.

Perhaps foolish of me but I consider Saab and the Swedish Air Force as two separate entities. The Swedish Air Force, which operates the C-130H, has clearly stated they aren’t looking for a replacement until the early 2030s.

The Swedish Air Force has postponed plans to upgrade its Lockheed Martin C-130H Hercules fleet instead opting to do a mid-life upgrade for its six transport aircraft, an Air Force official said May 8.

Col. Magnus Liljegren, head of the Air Force department at the Swedish armed forces headquarters, said it was probable that the work would consist of updates to aircraft’s avionics systems, not structural upgrades of the airframe itself. For that reason, the C-130s will fly only until the early 2030s.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/05 ... -390-sale/

That may translate to a replacement order in the 2025-27 timeframe but still 7-10 years away at which point if the KC-390 is still in production would make it a likely candidate.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos