Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZaphodHarkonnen

Re: Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider Production And Delivery Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:09 am

texl1649 wrote:
Exactly, a mini B-2. Single truck MLG’s, this looks more akin to an FB-111 size delivery platform than a B-1, let alone a B-52. Presumably it is to be vastly more easily maintained than the B-2 parent design, or B-1’s shown in the background.

Oh, totally. Especially if they were able to make good reuse of the hardware and avionics built for the F-35. The biggest difference then becomes the basic airframe and other larger components.

DigitalSea

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:27 pm

Maybe the USAF/USG did it right this time, field something not incredibly exotic that can utilize existing technology to achieve high production numbers without the high price tag.

744SPX

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:08 pm

Sizing it around 2 F135's (if that is the final config) is a good call.

Slug71

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:32 am

texl1649 wrote:
Exactly, a mini B-2. Single truck MLG’s, this looks more akin to an FB-111 size delivery platform than a B-1, let alone a B-52. Presumably it is to be vastly more easily maintained than the B-2 parent design, or B-1’s shown in the background.

A larger frame is probably not needed in today's battlefield. I think the Bomber role has diminished over the years with advancements of missiles. Ships and Subs can now deliver a bulk of the payload.

MohawkWeekend

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:55 am

Silly thought I guess but I read recently that the USN is working on fitting more air to surface weapons to the P-8. Might an even more adapted version of her be the bombtruck the Aussie's could use instead of a B-21. And the USAF could use her as a with a much cheaper replacement of the B-52? Imagine a rotary cruise missile launcher and a few extra wing pylons. Silly thought.
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

texl1649

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:36 am

Slug71 wrote:
    texl1649 wrote:

A larger frame is probably not needed in today's battlefield. I think the Bomber role has diminished over the years with advancements of missiles. Ships and Subs can now deliver a bulk of the payload.

I agree it makes some sense. The FB-111 was, after all (in perhaps a bit of irony) a supplemental type developed due to USAF concerns about B-52’s wearing out (cracks/fatigue)...and was retired when the B-1B made it un-needed (again, the irony is palpable). A 120,000 lb MTOW and 35K lb ordinance payload is probably, if I am guessing right, in the range of what this aircraft could deliver based on the renderings (that’s what the FB-111A spec’d out at).

I would also agree that it makes sense to size around something similar/based on two F135’s, and just pray it isn’t as obnoxiously underpowered as the T-30’s (not that this can go Mach 2 anyway). An F135, if modified without an afterburner and to fly subsonic, might be quite efficient, but I’d be curious if folks like Revelation here might opine as to modifications that might make that engine work better for this, and other possible future subsonic non-tactical operations. Using ‘standard’ fighter engines on long bomber missions isn’t really ideal; the B-2 has to refuel every 6 hours.

DigitalSea

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:18 am

texl1649 wrote:
    Using ‘standard’ fighter engines on long bomber missions isn’t really ideal; the B-2 has to refuel every 6 hours.

No kidding? Wow.

aumaverick

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 pm

texl1649 wrote:
    Slug71 wrote:
    texl1649 wrote:

I agree it makes some sense. The FB-111 was, after all (in perhaps a bit of irony) a supplemental type developed due to USAF concerns about B-52’s wearing out (cracks/fatigue)...and was retired when the B-1B made it un-needed (again, the irony is palpable). A 120,000 lb MTOW and 35K lb ordinance payload is probably, if I am guessing right, in the range of what this aircraft could deliver based on the renderings (that’s what the FB-111A spec’d out at).

I would also agree that it makes sense to size around something similar/based on two F135’s, and just pray it isn’t as obnoxiously underpowered as the T-30’s (not that this can go Mach 2 anyway). An F135, if modified without an afterburner and to fly subsonic, might be quite efficient, but I’d be curious if folks like Revelation here might opine as to modifications that might make that engine work better for this, and other possible future subsonic non-tactical operations. Using ‘standard’ fighter engines on long bomber missions isn’t really ideal; the B-2 has to refuel every 6 hours.

I think you hit the nail on the head. With the F-15E/F-35 payloads specked at 23,000 and 18,000 lbs respectively, and the B-2 at 40,000 lbs, there is a sweet spot gap. The B-21 can fill the payload gap of the F-35 and provide a contested environment penetration platform via stealth the F-15E lacks. The B-2 is overkill a lot of times, and was always meant to be a nuclear deterrent. The B-52 is overkill, and the B-1s are just plain worn out. Meanwhile, the F-15Es lack the legs or stealth for some missions, and the F-35 was never meant to be a medium sized bomber. This is where I hope the B-21 fills that sweet spot of capability.
    I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

LightningZ71

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:22 pm

I would imagine that the only substantive changes that could be made to the F-135 for use in the B-21 would be the removal of the Afterburner section and the associated plumbing changes that go with that. It might not be too crazy to suggest that the could keep the majority of the HPT and LPT sections, as well as the "hot" section while using a larger fan with a larger bypass, keeping the more expensive portions of the engine the same, but making it more efficient in other areas where the cost is lower, but, I would suspect that that's too much of a change for them to keep development costs under control. I do suspect that, due to its smaller size, and generally more efficient engines, that it should get better range than the B-2 between required refills if it keeps the same fuel fraction.

Ozair

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:17 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
    I would imagine that the only substantive changes that could be made to the F-135 for use in the B-21 would be the removal of the Afterburner section and the associated plumbing changes that go with that. It might not be too crazy to suggest that the could keep the majority of the HPT and LPT sections, as well as the "hot" section while using a larger fan with a larger bypass, keeping the more expensive portions of the engine the same, but making it more efficient in other areas where the cost is lower, but, I would suspect that that's too much of a change for them to keep development costs under control. I do suspect that, due to its smaller size, and generally more efficient engines, that it should get better range than the B-2 between required refills if it keeps the same fuel fraction.

Given the B-21 has long range operations in the pacific theatre as its primary mission I expect it will surprise on the distances the jet will operate without refuelling. The advantage the B-21 has is that the F135 will continue to go through significant upgrade. P&W have already proposed the Growth Option One and Two packages which both bring increased thrust and reduced fuel burn.

Depending on what happens with the AETP the B-21 could also be a candidate for conversion to that engine which would increase range again, potentially by as much as 25% beyond current projections. Noting as well the B-21 is considered an excellent candidate for DEW and therefore an efficient engine that can also rapidly recharge those weapons would be advantageous.

744SPX

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 am

Given that the B-21 is "2/3" size of B-2, putting a larger fan on the F-135 would probably be overkill as it already has enough thrust (unless they want a better thrust to weight ratio than the B-2) 2 F-135's dry is 56K lbs thrust and the 4 F-118's are 68k, so it would appear the B-21 will already have a superior thrust to weight ratio assuming it is 2/3 the weight...

SuperiorPilotMe

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:09 am

744SPX wrote:
    Given that the B-21 is "2/3" size of B-2, putting a larger fan on the F-135 would probably be overkill as it already has enough thrust (unless they want a better thrust to weight ratio than the B-2) 2 F-135's dry is 56K lbs thrust and the 4 F-118's are 68k, so it would appear the B-21 will already have a superior thrust to weight ratio assuming it is 2/3 the weight...

LightningZ71’s post had me thinking. The F135 is not quite, but close enough to 2 engines in one as far as (afterburner) thrust is concerned. I wonder if you could use one for a strictly unmanned, “mini-me” version of the B-21.
    Stop the stupids!- Claus Kellerman

Ozair

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:25 am

SuperiorPilotMe wrote:
    LightningZ71’s post had me thinking. The F135 is not quite, but close enough to 2 engines in one as far as (afterburner) thrust is concerned. I wonder if you could use one for a strictly unmanned, “mini-me” version of the B-21.

No reason they couldn’t and there are plenty of single engine UCAVs already, additionally the B-21 has been suggested all along as an optionally unmanned platform. The X-47b operated with an F100 off a carrier deck so you are in essence suggesting an upsize to that platform. Do you need the thrust of F135 though? Thrust would be dependent on what you perceive as the intent of the development, a loyal wingman to manned B-21s, additional unmanned assets to make up for not enough bombers, assume conventional weapons only? If you drop the payload to say 10k lbs in two bays (enough to take a 5k GBU-28 or similar sized weapon) and keep the same basic planform you should be able to maintain a decent range, would need to have pacific theater in mind, in a high stealth package.

How about operating a fleet of “B-212s” associated with a mothership “KB-21” tanker and (USAF turn off now) use hose and drogue with the software developed for the X-47b and MQ-25?

LightningZ71

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:18 pm

In reference to using a larger fan section on the F-135 as it is installed in the B-21, I was suggesting it more as an efficiency measure and less as a thrust production issue. The F-135, for the B-21, is plenty powerful. However, it is optimized for its use in a multi-role supersonic fighter as it currently exists. Given that it is expected that the B-21 will be subsonic, it makes sense to use a higher bypass ratio for fuel efficiency gains. The caveat here is that it will be costly to have such a significant difference on the F-135 in the B-21 from a development, purchasing and maintenance perspective, and, it will consume more volume inside of the already restricted interior volume that the B-21 will have to work with.

texl1649

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:57 pm

It’s intriguing to consider and hopefully USAF has some of this in the ‘big picture’ development plans, Ozair. I do think the prospects of that stuff (remote refueling/drone versions) being part of the development programs though is pretty darn low. Procurement has been too costly/delayed on too many platforms for the USAF to actively encourage that, at this point.

I do think hose/drogue refueling is the only thing that can make sense once a drone tanker is considered for actual development.

Lightningz71 I agree it would be an issue it’s just that running two F135’s for 10-20 hour subsonic 30K foot missions seems a bit...inefficient. We don’t need this thing to compete with an A321NEO/779 in fuel efficiency by any means, per pound of cargo per mile, but it’s always good to see a rational amount of fuel burn (and operational cost when incorporating tankers) in real mission planning/training.

RJMAZ

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:36 am

texl1649 wrote:
    Lightningz71 I agree it would be an issue it’s just that running two F135’s for 10-20 hour subsonic 30K foot missions seems a bit...inefficient.

I think it will use a pair of GE passport engines. Most likely uprated slightly from the standard 84kn to about 90kn. That would be extremely efficient.

The B-2 has four 77kn for a total of 308kn. Two 90kn passport engines would have 59% of the thrust. So the aircraft weights would be about 60% of the current B-2.

OEW: 46t
    MTOW: 102t
    Fuel capacity: 45t
    Internal bomb capacity: 11t

This seems perfect and it would not surprise me if it can still go close to the B-2 range of 6900nm.

The GE passport engines are the same weight and slightly shorter than the F-135. The fan diameter is only 6inch larger.

The bypass ratio is 5.6 vs 0.57 that would result in a 20-30% range boost right there.

keesje
    Topic Author

Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:04 am

The most likely adversaries would be the big phazatron, bars radars of Su-30 like interceptors and SAMs like S-400 because those are widely exported. Putin keeps refusing them to Iran.
    "Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Ozair

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:52 am

The USAF is close to selecting a first base for the B-21, both of the options being existing B-1 bases which makes sense given the B-21 will replace the B-1 initially before then replacing the B-2.

Anyone have a preference? Ellsworth is less populated so perhaps a better location for an initial bed down but as a long term Training and Main Operating Base perhaps Dyess is a better location for familes and long term posting?

Dyess or Ellsworth to Get First B-21s

The Air Force will soon start studies assessing the environmental impact of basing the B-21 Raider at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, and Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., the service announced on March 6. One of the two locations will be the first base to host the bomber.

Typical environmental assessments consider the impact of operations, noise, and pollution from a weapon system on the local area’s population, agricultural enterprises, water quality, transportation, cultural resources, airspace, and wildlife.

The two bases were chosen because they already operate B-1B bombers, which means basing the B-21s in either location will “minimize mission impact, maximize facility re-use, minimize cost, and reduce overhead, as well as leverage the strengths of each base to optimize the B-21 beddown strategy,” according to the Air Force announcement. Public hearings will be held in nearby locations through April.

The announcement, published in the Federal Register, said the environmental impact analysis will support the choice of “Main Operating Base 1” for the B-21, which will include B-21 operational squadrons, a B-21 formal training unit, and a weapons generation facility. The announcement noted the B-21 will be capable of “penetrating and surviving into advanced air defense environments,” delivering both conventional and nuclear weapons. Future beddown locations will be chosen after MOB 1 is selected.

https://www.airforcemag.com/dyess-or-el ... rst-b-21s/

LyleLanley

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:26 am

Ozair wrote:
    Anyone have a preference

Having been to both I’ll take neither if possible, but Ellsworth wins by a mile if it’s a “fish or steak” choice. With low levels out of the picture, even more so. Winters in South Dakota > year-round Texas, and families are generally happier up there, too.
    "I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

DigitalSea

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:50 am

Ozair wrote:
    The USAF is close to selecting a first base for the B-21, both of the options being existing B-1 bases which makes sense given the B-21 will replace the B-1 initially before then replacing the B-2.

Anyone have a preference?

Hickam, it's time.

aumaverick

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Ozair wrote:

Anyone have a preference? Ellsworth is less populated so perhaps a better location for an initial bed down but as a long term Training and Main Operating Base perhaps Dyess is a better location for familes and long term posting?

Dyess or Ellsworth to Get First B-21s

The Air Force will soon start studies assessing the environmental impact of basing the B-21 Raider at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, and Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., the service announced on March 6. One of the two locations will be the first base to host the bomber.

Typical environmental assessments consider the impact of operations, noise, and pollution from a weapon system on the local area’s population, agricultural enterprises, water quality, transportation, cultural resources, airspace, and wildlife.

The two bases were chosen because they already operate B-1B bombers, which means basing the B-21s in either location will “minimize mission impact, maximize facility re-use, minimize cost, and reduce overhead, as well as leverage the strengths of each base to optimize the B-21 beddown strategy,” according to the Air Force announcement. Public hearings will be held in nearby locations through April.

The announcement, published in the Federal Register, said the environmental impact analysis will support the choice of “Main Operating Base 1” for the B-21, which will include B-21 operational squadrons, a B-21 formal training unit, and a weapons generation facility. The announcement noted the B-21 will be capable of “penetrating and surviving into advanced air defense environments,” delivering both conventional and nuclear weapons. Future beddown locations will be chosen after MOB 1 is selected.

https://www.airforcemag.com/dyess-or-el ... rst-b-21s/

My guess is it'll be Ellsworth. The Bone is the only true flying tenant on base, it is more remote, and has increased bombing range access. It could very easily see a transition and consolidation of the B-1s to Dyess with the ramp up of the B-21 while the B-1s are phased out. Onboarding and basing of the Raider at Ellsworth first and coupled with a transition of a squadron of B-1s to Dyess, and then, initial onboarding of Raiders at Dyess coupled with a withdrawl of a B-1 squadron.

texl1649

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Dyess would be my preference, just because I live in Texas. I also believe there are a lot more B-1’s there vs. Ellsworth today, but could be mistaken.

aumaverick

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:48 pm

texl1649 wrote:
    Dyess would be my preference, just because I live in Texas. I also believe there are a lot more B-1’s there vs. Ellsworth today, but could be mistaken.

Dyess is home to the B-1 school house, which is another reason for it to remain focused on the Bone while Ellsworth spools up the Raiders first.

zululima

Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:44 pm

A few details about operating altitude and engines:

http://aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/new-usaf-materials-hint-high-altitude-role-b-21

“The B-21 is not expected to use low altitude training routes,” the Air Force poster says.

The B-2 was originally conceived as a high-altitude bomber, but a last-minute requirements change during the development phase forced Northrop Grumman to redesign the bomber for a low-altitude mission. As a result, the trailing edge was transformed from a simple W-shape to the sawtooth design seen today. The B-2, like the preceding B-52 and B-1B fleets, need low-altitude training routes.

The renderings of the B-21 released by the Air Force so far reveal a trailing edge that resembles the original, high-altitude design for the B-2. The Air Force has never confirmed operational details about the future stealth bomber.

“The B-21 engine noise is expected to be quieter than the B-1B and about the same or quieter than the B-2,” the poster says.

Previously, the only detail released by the Air Force about the B-21’s engines is that Pratt & Whitney is named as one of seven of Northrop’s suppliers. The poster data appears to confirm expectations that the B-21 would use a non-afterburning engine

So, RJMAZ's suggestions of uprated GE Passport engines is wrong, as expected.

I couldn't get any of the linked documents as the B21EIS website wasn't responding.
    I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

744SPX

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:07 am

The noise levels, altitude requirement and manufacturer would certainly seem to suggest a non-afterburning F135 variant...

This article has a lot of good info on the altitude requirement as relating to the B-2

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/1 ... pabilities

Ozair

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:21 am

zululima wrote:

So, RJMAZ's suggestions of uprated GE Passport engines is wrong, as expected.

I couldn't get any of the linked documents as the B21EIS website wasn't responding.

I don't think RJMAZ was suggesting that the B-21 would use the GE Passport engine, just comparing the option. We have known for quite a few years that P&W had been awarded the contract and was the engine provider for the B-21. I think the general consesus is it will be a F135 derivative but I can't remember if that has been confirmed yet.

Ozair

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:48 pm

Another sign that the B-21 appears to be moving both to schedule and likely has few development issues.

House slides money into B-21 bomber procurement account

An amendment to the House version of the fiscal 2021 defense policy bill would move some funding for the secretive B-21 bomber program from its research and development account to procurement, a sign that production activities could be picking up.

The amendment transfers $20 million into “Long Range Strike Bomber advanced procurement” and would “allow the program to begin some procurement activities ahead of schedule,” according to the legislation.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020/07 ... t-account/