Max Q
Topic Author

C130J question

Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 am

As far as the the US military is concerned which model have they taken the most deliveries of, the standard body length or the ‘stretch’ version ?

Is that ratio (whatever it is ) likely to continue ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Ozair

Re: C130J question

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:30 am

Max Q wrote:
As far as the the US military is concerned which model have they taken the most deliveries of, the standard body length or the ‘stretch’ version ?

Is that ratio (whatever it is ) likely to continue ?

So the ratio in January 2014 was
United States Air Force – 125 aircraft (10 C-130Js, 76 C-130J-30s, three EC-130Js, 11 HC-130Js, 15 MC-130Js, and 10 WC-130Js) in service
United States Marine Corps – 46 KC-130Js in use
United States Coast Guard – six HC-130Js in service
(Taken from the C-130J Wiki page).

In 2016 the US ordered additional airframes in the following mix,

This week, the Department of Defense announced a new award of more than $1 billion in funding for the first 32 aircraft of the multiyear contract. The overall contract, worth $5.3 billion, provides Super Hercules aircraft to the U.S. Air Force (30 MC-130Js, 13 HC-130Js and 29 C-130J-30s) and the U.S. Marine Corps (six KC-130Js).

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/mor ... super.html

It appears that the ratio is split approximately half and half between the two variants. The special mission types tend to be shorter while the general transport versions tend to be the longer.

I’d expect the ratio to continue along that split as the USAF replaces H models transport and special mission varieties.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:26 am

Thanks for that Oz

Interesting, what seems to be the preferred model around the rest of the world ?

Ozair

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 am

Max Q wrote:
Thanks for that Oz

No worries.

Max Q wrote:
Interesting, what seems to be the preferred model around the rest of the world ?

Far and away the C-130J-30. That makes sense when you consider that the primary mission for most C-130J export customers is military transport and the -30 is a better overall airframe for that role.

FrancisBegbie

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 am

Ozair wrote:

Max Q wrote:

Far and away the C-130J-30. That makes sense when you consider that the primary mission for most C-130J export customers is military transport and the -30 is a better overall airframe for that role.

Exactly. I think that for many of the customers, the C-130 is the biggest (tactical) transporter they have. Therefore, getting the longer one gives you extra capabilities you otherwise would not have. The US has the luxury to get some of the shorter ones (for extra range, better agility, lower visibility) as they have plenty other options to haul big loads.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Does the stretch version give up much
performance when operating out of unimproved airfields and is it used on that manner ?

Or is that mission left to the short body ?

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Max Q wrote:

I can't answer that question, but I have a question regarding body length.
AFAIK prior to the C-130J, all operators world-wide used the same "short" bodied C-130 with one exception. The RAF specified a 4.57m stretch which was undertaken by Marshall's at Cambridge (?), and IMO created a more useful and more aesthetic design. Presumably Marshall's bought in ready made sections from Lockheed, based on the stretch they had already performed for the L-100-30.

For decades, the RAF were the only (military) operators of this stretched version, which then became even more distinctive with the addition of a refuelling boom. The oddity was that they were designated C.130K, placing them out of sequence.

Fast-forward to 1996, and Lockheed unveil the C.130J, with an option to have the same 4.57m stretch featured on civilian L.100-30 and RAF models.

1) Have I got the basic story correct? Wikipedia is a bit vague on these matters.

2) How many here on a.net today realise that the C.130J-30 owes it's stretch to a design dating back to 1968, and thoroughly tested by the RAF (& to a lesser extent by civilian operators)?

On the left, XV304, an original C.130K C.1 from 1976............... On the right, the same a/c (XV304) stretched to C.3, and looking mean! :evil:
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:58 pm

I think that’s right SD

I remember when they did the modification
Although I think the original model looks better

As they only have drogue refuellers the RAF have installed booms on some large
aircraft including the C130 and L1011

Why they didn’t incorporate a boom on their A330 tanker like all other operators is puzzling

They have 5 or 6 different large aircraft types in service now that can receive fuel via a boom.

Ozair

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Max Q wrote:
performance when operating out of unimproved airfields and is it used on that manner ?

There is little to no difference in the rough field performance between the two variants. The stretch has a longer range than the standard length but typically cruises at a lower altitude with max payload. The additional length doesn’t realistically translate to higher payloads, just more volume which is often the limiting factor.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/produ ... 0j-30.html

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/produ ... cules.html

Dutchy

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I can't answer that question, but I have a question regarding body length.
AFAIK prior to the C-130J, all operators world-wide used the same "short" bodied C-130 with one exception. The RAF specified a 4.57m stretch which was undertaken by Marshall's at Cambridge (?), and IMO created a more useful and more aesthetic design. Presumably Marshall's bought in ready made sections from Lockheed, based on the stretch they had already performed for the L-100-30.

For decades, the RAF were the only (military) operators of this stretched version, which then became even more distinctive with the addition of a refuelling boom. The oddity was that they were designated C.130K, placing them out of sequence.

Fast-forward to 1996, and Lockheed unveil the C.130J, with an option to have the same 4.57m stretch featured on civilian L.100-30 and RAF models.

1) Have I got the basic story correct? Wikipedia is a bit vague on these matters.

2) How many here on a.net today realise that the C.130J-30 owes it's stretch to a design dating back to 1968, and thoroughly tested by the RAF (& to a lesser extent by civilian operators)?

On the left, XV304, an original C.130K C.1 from 1976............... On the right, the same a/c (XV304) stretched to C.3, and looking mean! :evil:

Weren't the two Dutch C-130H-30 bought new in 1993?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
AFAIK prior to the C-130J, all operators world-wide used the same "short" bodied C-130 with one exception.

Weren't the two Dutch C-130H-30 bought new in 1993?

In which case, the answer to Q.1 should be "almost correct..." :lol:

I was already aware of a number of Air Forces operating stretched Hercules, but I had mistakenly thought they all came under the L.100-30 umbrella.
e.g. Algerian Air Force 7T-WHA, listed as a C.130H-30, but looking every inch an L.100 ---- and likewise this Republique du Tchad example

Meanwhile, the photo caption for this Moroccan says it's a C.130H-30, except to my eyes it seems to have shrunk in the wash....

However, you are right and I had overlooked a number of genuine C.130H-30 that were delivered to various air forces beginning ca 1990.
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

zanl188

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
I was already aware of a number of Air Forces operating stretched Hercules, but I had mistakenly thought they all came under the L.100-30 umbrella.

Generally... The C-130 stretches will have the floor level cockpit windows and troop doors in the back. L-100-30s lack these features.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

ThePointblank

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 am

Ozair wrote:
Max Q wrote:

There is little to no difference in the rough field performance between the two variants. The stretch has a longer range than the standard length but typically cruises at a lower altitude with max payload. The additional length doesn’t realistically translate to higher payloads, just more volume which is often the limiting factor.

The only thing to worry about with a stretched Herc is the higher potential for a tail strike; the RAAF had a pretty bad tail strike with a C-130J-30 a while back that required emergency repairs and a careful ferry flight back to depot for full repairs. Also, I believe the Norwegians have had a pair of tail strikes as well with their C-130J-30's.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:10 am

ThePointblank wrote:
Ozair wrote:
Max Q wrote:

The only thing to worry about with a stretched Herc is the higher potential for a tail strike; the RAAF had a pretty bad tail strike with a C-130J-30 a while back that required emergency repairs and a careful ferry flight back to depot for full repairs. Also, I believe the Norwegians have had a pair of tail strikes as well with their C-130J-30's.

Looking at the geometry of the stretch I can see how you could do that

I think it would be challenging to induce a
tail strike on the standard body aircraft