Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ZaphodHarkonnen

Re: United Launch Alliance - Tests, Launches, News, Developments

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:49 am

Oof. What, a, clusterf**k. (Mods don't like even that swearing. :P )

And to remember that Boeing was supposed to be the reliable pair of hands compared to the brash risky young kids at SpaceX.

On the upside for ULA, they might get another Atlas V launch out of this mess.

Francoflier

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:57 am

Tugger wrote:

Also Boeing has set aside/took a charge of $410M to cover a potential second full-up test launch if required.

Tugg

If I was an astronaut slated to fly this thing, I certainly would want them to... I hope NASA makes them do another test, though I suspect Boeing's lobbyist are working against that already in DC.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

DarkKnight5
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:58 am

Francoflier wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Also Boeing has set aside/took a charge of $410M to cover a potential second full-up test launch if required.

Tugg

If I was an astronaut slated to fly this thing, I certainly would want them to... I hope NASA makes them do another test, though I suspect Boeing's lobbyist are working against that already in DC.

Since they’ve already charged the money I assume an OFT repeat is a foregone conclusion, which makes me think NASA has made it clear to Boeing OFT2 is happening. Now I agree the lobbyists are hard at work which is why NASA has been so kid-gloved since the first breath of an error, but they’re going to fly another OFT unmanned.

AirlineCritic

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:11 pm

No full, entire-mission test performed? That is shocking if true. And very unprofessional.

hilram

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:47 am

Tugger wrote:
Apparently NASA has 61 items for Boeing to address:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/nasa-fi ... craft.html

Tugg

How the mighty have fallen!

What happended to Test Methodology at Boeing?
Flown on: A319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343 | B732, 734, 735, 736, 73G, 738, 743, 744, 772, 77W | CRJ9 | BAe-146 | DHC-6, 7, 8 | F50 | E195 | MD DC-9 41, MD-82, MD-87

Tugger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Well, some goods news: The AEHF 6 satellite launch yesterday was successful and the US Space Force has opened for business! :spin:
https://videos.space.com/m/1my8wsAQ/bla ... t=9wzCTV4g

Nice launch.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

zanl188

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:31 pm

Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Francoflier

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:15 am

zanl188 wrote:

'Opts'...

:wink2:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

DarkKnight5
Topic Author

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:37 am

Francoflier wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

'Opts'...

:wink2:

We’ve “opted” to “meet our contractual obligations” and avoid a “devastating” “contractor performance review”.

Also we need a “bailout.”

DarkKnight5
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Atlas V launched US Air or Space Force’s X-37B spaceplane. Can’t confirm the prograM has been transferred to the Space Force officially or not. Media outlets divided in that point.

Errrrrday’s coverage here:
http://youtu.be/NIfyAd06lII

It is amazing how slowly it left the pad. It had to have been at 1.1x thrust to weight at liftoff. It looked so slow I was worried the engine wasn’t providing full power. It was also one of the most vertical launches I’ve seen lately, very little pitch over, it’s especially apparent on views from the rocket. Obviously they didn’t need it, but it seems like an SRM would have helped their performance margin. Maybe the X-37B has so much Delta-V that it doesn’t need any help beyond getting to LEO.

Francoflier

Mon May 18, 2020 3:46 am

DarkKnight5 wrote:
Atlas V launched US Air or Space Force’s X-37B spaceplane. Can’t confirm the prograM has been transferred to the Space Force officially or not. Media outlets divided in that point.

Errrrrday’s coverage here:
http://youtu.be/NIfyAd06lII

It is amazing how slowly it left the pad. It had to have been at 1.1x thrust to weight at liftoff. It looked so slow I was worried the engine wasn’t providing full power. It was also one of the most vertical launches I’ve seen lately, very little pitch over, it’s especially apparent on views from the rocket. Obviously they didn’t need it, but it seems like an SRM would have helped their performance margin. Maybe the X-37B has so much Delta-V that it doesn’t need any help beyond getting to LEO.

ULA is really good at those uncommon / specialized launches with unusual orbits and payloads. I think this is an area where SpaceX can't really compete with them (yet).

I still find it funny that a US Space Force mission is being put into orbit by a Soviet-era engine, even though its days are counted.

Nomadd

Mon May 18, 2020 5:38 am

I have to wonder if Tim Dodd is human. I've seen him talk for two hours without taking a breath.

DarkKnight5
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Nomadd wrote:
I have to wonder if Tim Dodd is human. I've seen him talk for two hours without taking a breath.

Each time is see one of his launch live-streams check in at 4+ hours I ask myself “isn’t he married?”.