Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747classic

Re: Boeing B-52 Re-engine News and Discussion Thread

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:41 pm

AMARG Area 26, contains a lot of -G aircraft, condition unkown, see :
http://www.amarcexperience.com/ui/index ... 32#area-26

Select area 26, inventory, page 5 and further.

bajs11

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:14 pm

zanl188 wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to structurally modify them again? If the frame was zero-houred, updated with new radar, new engines, new avionics to eventually replace the H?

One, I don’t believe there are enough G models left to be worth modifying. Two, demodifying defeats the purpose of the original mod - treaty compliance.

Of course with the way the Russians have been acting lately maybe treaty compliance is no longer a factor. They did violate the INF treaty, maybe we should bring GLCMs and Pershing’s back.

wonder why the US is unwilling to invest in modern tactical nukes beyond mk61 and AGM-86
while Putin got different versions of Iskander and Zircon hypersonic missiles and the PRC got even more

shouldnt be that difficult to strap some nuclear warheads onto PrSM, LRHW and AGM-183

bikerthai

Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:39 pm

To answer one of the question.

"The B-52H Stratofortress is a long-range, heavy bomber that can perform a variety of missions. The bomber is capable of flying at high subsonic speeds at altitudes of up to 50,000 feet (15,166.6 meters). It can carry nuclear or precision guided conventional ordnance with worldwide precision navigation capability."
https://www.afnwc.af.mil/About-Us/Fact- ... capability.

With only a few B-2 and the B-1s are retired. You still need the 52's in that role.

Will they build enough B-21 to retire rhe B-52?

bt

JayinKitsap

Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:51 pm

I recall reading on the reengine and radar articles in Airforce magazine that the B-52 to be in servie until 2045. It will be qualified for nuclear weapons. B-21 will be around half of the bomber fleet.

The revolver missiles and rack give a good stand off while the B-21 gets to penetrate.

bikerthai

Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:23 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
I recall reading on the reengine and radar articles in Airforce magazine that the B-52 to be in servie until 2045. It will be qualified for nuclear weapons. B-21 will be around half of the bomber fleet.

The revolver missiles and rack give a good stand off while the B-21 gets to penetrate.

Yikes, that means the B-52 will out live both the B-1 and B-2. Or will they keep that small fleet around?

bt

SQ22

Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:37 pm

A friendly reminder to keep this thread on topic, subject of discussion is B-52 re-engine. Feel free to continue the other discussion in a separate thread, thanks.

bajs11

Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:33 am

bikerthai wrote:
To answer one of the question.

"The B-52H Stratofortress is a long-range, heavy bomber that can perform a variety of missions. The bomber is capable of flying at high subsonic speeds at altitudes of up to 50,000 feet (15,166.6 meters). It can carry nuclear or precision guided conventional ordnance with worldwide precision navigation capability."

With only a few B-2 and the B-1s are retired. You still need the 52's in that role.

Will they build enough B-21 to retire rhe B-52?

bt

If I remember correctly they were also planning to retire the B-52 during the 1980s and replace it with B-1 and B-2...
and correct me if I am wrong but the B-21 is way smaller than the B-52 thus can not carry larger missiles or at least not many of them.
I mean if the B-52 was able to carry and launch the X-15 then it should also be able to launch similarly sized hypersonic missiles
They will need a proper replacement of the early 1950s era bomber or maybe just launch missiles from C-17 and C-5M

LightningZ71

Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:42 pm

What is it that a modestly upgraded B-52 can't do going forward that an all-new platform can that is going to cover it's planned mission set? It is a stand off cruise missile launcher and a permissive airspace heavy bomber. Anything that large won't be stealthy enough to matter. Anything much smaller is just a B-21. Unless they develop a massive metal fatigue problem that affects something critical in the airframe, it's just going to soldier on. We don't need a faster bomber to do it's mission as prompt strike is better handled by very long range hypersonics. Another plane won't be massively more efficient, and especially not enough to justify it's price tag.

texl1649

Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
What is it that a modestly upgraded B-52 can't do going forward that an all-new platform can that is going to cover it's planned mission set? It is a stand off cruise missile launcher and a permissive airspace heavy bomber. Anything that large won't be stealthy enough to matter. Anything much smaller is just a B-21. Unless they develop a massive metal fatigue problem that affects something critical in the airframe, it's just going to soldier on. We don't need a faster bomber to do it's mission as prompt strike is better handled by very long range hypersonics. Another plane won't be massively more efficient, and especially not enough to justify it's price tag.

Correct, unless/until a stand off platform can also serve as a tanker/cargo aircraft.

When is RR going to produce/deliver the first engine set? Where is Boeing to do the work?

bikerthai

Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:09 pm

texl1649 wrote:
Where is Boeing to do the work?

My guess would be here:

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/busines ... 392563007/

bt

JayinKitsap

Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:20 pm

texl1649 wrote:

When is RR going to produce/deliver the first engine set? Where is Boeing to do the work?

I've seen that RR will be doing wind tunnel testing of the F130 engine as modified for the B-52 this fall, there are 2 B-52's in the flight test program. Engine flight testing is being done separately from the new Radar. There are discussions on the naming - there may be a J and a K version, with the J being Radar & old engines, K being both.
Can't find it now but I recall they will be doing lots of 8 bombers after flight testing complete.

The first two fully modified B-52s are projected to deliver by the end of 2025 and will undergo ground and flight testing. The first lot of operational B-52s with the new engines is projected to deliver by the end of 2028 with the entire fleet modified by 2035.

Found in this the info as to expected service life.
The new engines on the B-52s are expected to remain on the B-52H through at least 2050, increase fuel efficiency, increase range, reduce emissions in unburned hydrocarbons, and significantly reduce maintenance costs.

Both quotes from
https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... -contract/

Tinker AFB is where the new B-52 center has been constructed.

https://www.tinker.af.mil/News/Article- ... l-mission/

https://kfor.com/news/local/new-boeing- ... homa-city/

bennett123

Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:51 pm

747classic wrote:
The above questions of the remaining AMARC stored -G's and -H's has been asked before, see replies 221 untill/incl 230 in this thread.

See also : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... wbfU#gid=0

What does 'retired' mean.

Are they stored or scrapped?.

Buckeyetech

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:03 pm

bennett123 wrote:
747classic wrote:
The above questions of the remaining AMARC stored -G's and -H's has been asked before, see replies 221 untill/incl 230 in this thread.

See also : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... wbfU#gid=0

What does 'retired' mean.

Are they stored or scrapped?.

All of the G models have been quartered (se pic). H models are in long term storage status.
https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img-ge ... LB3543.jpg]

744SPX

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:58 am

JayinKitsap wrote:

I've seen that RR will be doing wind tunnel testing of the F130 engine as modified for the B-52 this fall, there are 2 B-52's in the flight test program. Engine flight testing is being done separately from the new Radar. There are discussions on the naming - there may be a J and a K version, with the J being Radar & old engines, K being both.
Can't find it now but I recall they will be doing lots of 8 bombers after flight testing complete.

That's crazy talk. Why in the world would they want to operate TF-33 powered B-52's AND F130 powered B-52's? 2 engine types would just make the maintenance and parts headaches that much worse (and expensive) then they are now. :shakehead:

Phosphorus

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:29 am

744SPX wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

That's crazy talk. Why in the world would they want to operate TF-33 powered B-52's AND F130 powered B-52's? 2 engine types would just make the maintenance and parts headaches that much worse (and expensive) then they are now. :shakehead:

Maybe radar upgrade could be achieved separately and faster then re-engine work? This way, a radar-modified frame (a J) could be operational before its scheduled visit to re-engine work.

In any case, they WILL have to operate both TF-33 and F130 powered B-52's in parallel, for some time. Unless there's a magic wand that allows all new engines, nacelles and everything else to be available for the whole fleet at once, not to mention shop floor space and people to do it. Which would mean 0 operational B-52's while the work continues. (I personally don't believe it. It would be a staggered process, regardless)

JayinKitsap

Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:37 am

Phosphorus wrote:
744SPX wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

Maybe radar upgrade could be achieved separately and faster then re-engine work? This way, a radar-modified frame (a J) could be operational before its scheduled visit to re-engine work.

In any case, they WILL have to operate both TF-33 and F130 powered B-52's in parallel, for some time. Unless there's a magic wand that allows all new engines, nacelles and everything else to be available for the whole fleet at once, not to mention shop floor space and people to do it. Which would mean 0 operational B-52's while the work continues. (I personally don't believe it. It would be a staggered process, regardless)

The radar work is further along at this time, about to start the actual mods of two BUFFs that will be testing it. Once certified, the conversion will take a half dozen or so off line, probably in pairs with 3 pairs in the shop, similar to P2F alterations. These are separate contracts so good to operate the aircraft for a while after to ensure everything is to standard.

The engine replacement will have 2 test aircraft for it, that won't have the radar work done. Once the program starts it too will have 3 pairs of aircraft being converted at a time. . They only want a dozen or so not active at any time. For the engines it is like 6 years to do all the fleet. So for 6 to 8 years there will be Original, In Radar alt, Radar only upgraded, Engine Alt, and Finished - so 5 categories at peak, only 1 at the end of the period.

scbriml

Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:36 am

744SPX wrote:

One word - transition.

The radar upgrade will almost certainly be a shorter program than the re-engine, so unless they delay and slow down the radar upgrades to match the re-engine pace, then a mixed fleet will be in place. It will take a long time before the entire fleet is re-engined. Until the last one is, USAF will operate TF-33 and F130 powered B-52s in parallel. The only alternative is to take them all out of service until they're re-engined and got the new radar, which I can't see happening.

bikerthai

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:48 pm

scbriml wrote:
One word - transition.

Plus another word: bureaucracy.

I've seen it first hand. These retrofit contracts are often negotiated separately, even if its with the same contractor. Very rare do they try to combine contracts, too much headache.

If you have a good size fleet, it is complex planning to pull frames out to be mod.

I've had to do LRU refresh on equipment that I know they already plan to eliminate a few years later. They do it anyway because during the interim, they want the best equipment operating.

The other aspect is during the negotiation phase, they would not know if one contract would be cancelled. By the time both contract is approved, schedule would already been established and it would require moving a mountain to mesh the two

But sometimes it does happen. Depends on how clever the scheduler gets.

bt

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:50 am

Here is an interesting article and Boeing video on the new B-52 engine nacelle testing. The article covers the B-52 upgrade program in depth, including other planned modifications.

https://theaviationist.com/2022/09/25/b ... lles-test/

https://twitter.com/BoeingDefense/statu ... 2770197506

744SPX

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:08 am

Cool, thanks for posting.

f4u

Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:56 am

New images of engine nacelles and nose area

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/o ... -look-like

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:12 pm

bikerthai wrote:
scbriml wrote:
One word - transition.

Plus another word: bureaucracy.

I've seen it first hand. These retrofit contracts are often negotiated separately, even if its with the same contractor. Very rare do they try to combine contracts, too much headache.

If you have a good size fleet, it is complex planning to pull frames out to be mod.

I've had to do LRU refresh on equipment that I know they already plan to eliminate a few years later. They do it anyway because during the interim, they want the best equipment operating.

The other aspect is during the negotiation phase, they would not know if one contract would be cancelled. By the time both contract is approved, schedule would already been established and it would require moving a mountain to mesh the two

But sometimes it does happen. Depends on how clever the scheduler gets.

bt

The C-5 program was a similar mess. L-M wanted to run about 24 planes a year, efficient line, convert one wing every 18 months. But, budgets drove stringing out the program at about 8 per year, driving up unit costs and stopping it at just the B models. The As were easily doable until that schedule hit.

giblets

Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:51 pm

So Rolls has started testing the f130! Not sure on the status of the nacelles vs the finished article, it exciting to see it all the same Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

747classic

Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:23 am

giblets wrote:
So Rolls has started testing the f130! Not sure on the status of the nacelles vs the finished article, it exciting to see it all the same Image

See for more info and a video (RR press release of March 01th 2023) : https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press ... fleet.aspx

SteelChair

Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:23 pm

Operating both engine versions side by side for awhile also allows the USAF to harvest as much engine time as possible on the old engines prior to scrapping. I know, economics isn't even a consideration, but using as much of the remaining engine life as possible makes economic sense.

Has anyone seen any performance specs? I'm guessing it'll be a significant (~30%) improvement in range like the KC135 was. I'm guessing the higher BPR engines may lose some altitude capability.

giblets

Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:58 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Operating both engine versions side by side for awhile also allows the USAF to harvest as much engine time as possible on the old engines prior to scrapping. I know, economics isn't even a consideration, but using as much of the remaining engine life as possible makes economic sense.

Has anyone seen any performance specs? I'm guessing it'll be a significant (~30%) improvement in range like the KC135 was. I'm guessing the higher BPR engines may lose some altitude capability.

I’ve seen written the engine is 30% more efficient, the nacelle should also reduce drag (more modern design, though it’s larger and closer to the wing), although it’s essentially the same power, it’ll perform better with increased responsiveness etc

SteelChair

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:26 pm

giblets wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

I’ve seen written the engine is 30% more efficient, the nacelle should also reduce drag (more modern design, though it’s larger and closer to the wing), although it’s essentially the same power, it’ll perform better with increased responsiveness etc

Thanks for that. Should reduce demand on tanker support.

I've wondered about the B52 50,000 foot altitude capability i've seen quoted from time to time. I'm guessing it won't fly that high with any kind of useful load with these new engines, and wonder how useful that capability is and how often it is done now.

giblets

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:38 am

Further on the range question.
the USAF looked at new engines and in 2004 reported a 35% improvement in fuel efficiency would increase range 46%
https://dsb.cto.mil/reports/2000s/ADA428790.pdf

But reading up elsewhere, they are looking for 'up to 40%' increase in range. This should come from a number of places:
  • Engines: 30% improvement in consumption, but they are bigger right.... yes, but each of the 8 is 200kg less (about 2% dry weight of aircraft)
  • New Engine nacelle and pylons: Can be lighter (as engine is 200kg less, new materials and design techniques), and better aerodyamics ( design tools not available in the 1960s!)
  • New Radar. installing the new APG-79 radar, to replace the APQ-166, this should be a bit of a weight saving, will also have a new radome (better design?
  • Removal of blisters: Those ugly blisters on the chin are being taken off, should be a nice improvement for aerodynamics and reduction in drag
  • Crew Reduction: My understanding is they are taking out one member of the crew (with the new radar), so that's a big old ejector seat taken out!
  • Other improvements, looks like the cockpit will be updated to partially multi function displays. Digital to analog controls which should introduce some weight savings and improvements to the the control of the aircraft performance.
  • New blisters above the wing have appeared (Or grown), woukd likely increase drag, but probably a better design than the nose blisters., thjey seem to be confidential
  • New underwing weapons pylon, potentially improvement, better design, new lighter materials etc.

LTEN11

Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:12 pm

giblets wrote:
the USAF looked at new engines and in 2004 reported a 35% improvement in fuel efficiency would increase range 46%

But reading up elsewhere, they are looking for 'up to 40%' increase in range. This should come from a number of places:
  • Engines: 30% improvement in consumption, but they are bigger right.... yes, but each of the 8 is 200kg less (about 2% dry weight of aircraft)
  • New Engine nacelle and pylons: Can be lighter (as engine is 200kg less, new materials and design techniques), and better aerodyamics ( design tools not available in the 1960s!)
  • New Radar. installing the new APG-79 radar, to replace the APQ-166, this should be a bit of a weight saving, will also have a new radome (better design?
  • Removal of blisters: Those ugly blisters on the chin are being taken off, should be a nice improvement for aerodynamics and reduction in drag
  • Crew Reduction: My understanding is they are taking out one member of the crew (with the new radar), so that's a big old ejector seat taken out!
  • Other improvements, looks like the cockpit will be updated to partially multi function displays. Digital to analog controls which should introduce some weight savings and improvements to the the control of the aircraft performance.
  • New blisters above the wing have appeared (Or grown), woukd likely increase drag, but probably a better design than the nose blisters., thjey seem to be confidential
  • New underwing weapons pylon, potentially improvement, better design, new lighter materials etc.

But will it get a toilet ?

Oh and I like the blisters on the nose, adds character.

JayinKitsap

Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:55 pm

LTEN11 wrote:
giblets wrote:

I didn't find the toilet info, I recall it is being considered. There is now a spot where the 4th ejection seat was.

However I did find a nice long article, late 2021, about the BUFF.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... crew-chief

LTEN11

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:23 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
giblets wrote:

I didn't find the toilet info, I recall it is being considered. There is now a spot where the 4th ejection seat was.

However I did find a nice long article, late 2021, about the BUFF.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... crew-chief

Thanks for the link, an interesting read.

747classic

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:42 am

SteelChair wrote:
giblets wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

Thanks for that. Should reduce demand on tanker support.

I've wondered about the B52 50,000 foot altitude capability i've seen quoted from time to time. I'm guessing it won't fly that high with any kind of useful load with these new engines, and wonder how useful that capability is and how often it is done now.

I have no info about the max cruise thrust at high altitude of this high bypass F-130 engine (bypass ratio 4,1 : 1), but the nearly identical RR RB700-725A1-12, has been designed especially for high altitude long range, high speed business jets.(Gulfstream 650, certified max altitude FL510, MMO 0,925, High-Speed Cruise 0,90, Long-Range Cruise 0,85)

VMCA787

Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:06 am

A couple of things to add. With the removal of the FLIR and EVS turrets, the MMO is increased to the old MMO which was .9IMN. In addition, there is also an APU being installed with a similar setup as the B-1 has. I have heard of no plans to move the current toilet setup. With only one person left in the lower deck, that would be the most logical place.

JayinKitsap

Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:17 pm

There was a really good video of the RR Exec but I can't find it now. He discussed how the F-130 best matched up to the plane's needs, met or exceeded the RFP requirements as to altitude and the like. The media thought RR bid quite low, at the same time they were well above the list price of the civil version. Very little alterations to the engine itself was a big reason they could bid low. This video was around at the same time.
https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/a ... erm-impact

RR Test Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEcpbIa0kl0

744SPX

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:53 pm

My guess is those nacelles are very close if not the final design. Why design a different one just for testing when you have to test the flight article nacelle anyway?

giblets

Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:39 pm

744SPX wrote:
My guess is those nacelles are very close if not the final design. Why design a different one just for testing when you have to test the flight article nacelle anyway?

Yes, CFD has come a long way, interestingly the RE guys are talking about cross wind conditions, which may be more difficult to model

ssteve

Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:15 pm

I have heard of no plans to move the current toilet setup. With only one person left in the lower deck, that would be the most logical place.

World's first ejection toilet

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:32 pm

In the Global/Gulfstream installations, crosswind components on take-off exceeding 20 knots dictate reduced power until reaching 60 knots, so that might be a factor.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:52 am

ssteve wrote:
I have heard of no plans to move the current toilet setup. With only one person left in the lower deck, that would be the most logical place.

You never know when an emergency might occur.

Plus it can double as a therapuetic treatment to help with those difficult movements. ;)

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:05 am

The current B-52 upgrades will officially become the B-52J model. This will include the new engine, radar, and communications upgrades.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/re-en ... -52-b-52j/

SteelChair

Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:23 am

This upgrade program guarantees the retirement of the B52. Our government will replace them shortly after the upgrades are completed, guaranteeing maximum expenditure by the government.

ssteve

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:49 pm

The J in B-52J stands for "jobs?"

Honestly until there is another massive wing + skinny tube long range bomber, I don't see them going away. It's telling that they're removing the chin bumps which are basically there to make it safer to fly near terrain at night. Don't need that mission any more.

But any true replacement program has to contend with the fleet size being only 76. No matter what your conversion idea might be, it's hard to make it economical for that small number.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:05 pm

I believe J was next in line after H. The alternative was K, with J then being a temporary designation for partial upgrades. They apparently decided against that.

I and O are skipped in the suffix sequence to avoid confusion with one and zero.

wingman

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:41 pm

ssteve wrote:

If I could eject my son out of the house for his toilet offences I would. Seeing him go flying into the neighbor's yard strapped to the throne would be recompense for the partial flushes, floaters and hard streaks.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:55 am

ssteve wrote:
It's telling that they're removing the chin bumps which are basically there to make it safer to fly near terrain at night. Don't need that mission any more.

Uhhhhhh, no. They're being removed as the Sniper pod provide much better imagery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_Sniper_XR

JayinKitsap

Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:28 pm

I think they are clearing out a lot of abandoned systems and replacing ancient stuff with the current generation. Imagine the miles of wire left in the plane. Probably time for new wiring harnesses throughout. Those chin bumps have probably been inactive since the Sniper pod came into effect..

Has any posted the change in weight with F-130 compared to the existing?

VMCA787

Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:25 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
Those chin bumps have probably been inactive since the Sniper pod came into effect..

The FLIR and EVS are still operational on the BUFF. Removing the blisters will allow a return to an MMO of .90 or.92, I can't remember which.
IIRC the TF-33 is about 1000lbs heavier.

ssteve

Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:03 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
ssteve wrote:
It's telling that they're removing the chin bumps which are basically there to make it safer to fly near terrain at night. Don't need that mission any more.

Uhhhhhh, no. They're being removed as the Sniper pod provide much better imagery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_Sniper_XR

Yeah, of course. But this means they're flying close to terrain?

giblets

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:20 pm

Looks like they have been playing with the pod design:
“Ames said Rolls-Royce is now on its seventh iteration of the pod design”

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/rolls ... -nacelles/

JayinKitsap

Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:28 am

Raytheon has delivered the first article of the new radar for the B-52. This is a separate program from the re engine that will be integrated slightly ahead of the other.

https://www.airforce-technology.com/new ... r/?cf-view