mmo
Topic Author

B-1 Fleet Grounded

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm

The B-1 Fleet has been grounded as the result of an ejection seat malfunction on 1 May. The aircraft involved made an emergency landing at Midland TX (MAF) after an ejection hatch blew. It is unknown if the ejection sequence had been initiated and the seat failed or just what happened. The grounding appears to be until the ejection seats, fleet-wide are corrected.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... ion-seats/
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Okcflyer

Re: B-1 Fleet Grounded

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 am

Word around MAF is a bird strike lead to an engine fire which spread rapidly to the nearby engine. With double engine failure and lots of fire damage, the commander gave ejection order. First sequence blew the hatch off but seat did not eject. At this point the crew decided to try and wrestle to the ground rather than proceed with ejection sequencing and leave their fellow crew to die. Note the ejection rocket was armed/live ... not exactly the best of situation for the airman strapped to it ... or the first responders. Supposedly there was concern it would fire off with touchdown forces/shaking.

Apparently there were known issues with these particular ejection rockets fleet wide. Seems this incident is the straw that broke that camel’s back finally (thankfully before more deaths and the skill and luck of this particular crew)

Last I heard was to expect write-off due to the level of damage.

tommy1808

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:42 am

Okcflyer wrote:
Note the ejection rocket was armed/live ... not exactly the best of situation for the airman strapped to it ... or the first responders. Supposedly there was concern it would fire off with touchdown forces/shaking.

Would be a huge surprise, but given that these are zero/zero seats they should be fine. But if they go off while you unstrap....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

ramair

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

So if this write off, any idea if they'll pull another from the boneyard to replace it? They pulled a BUFF out recently so I assume they will do the same with a Bone.

checksixx

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:09 am

Okcflyer wrote:
Word around MAF is a bird strike lead to an engine fire which spread rapidly to the nearby engine. With double engine failure and lots of fire damage, the commander gave ejection order. First sequence blew the hatch off but seat did not eject. At this point the crew decided to try and wrestle to the ground rather than proceed with ejection sequencing and leave their fellow crew to die. Note the ejection rocket was armed/live ... not exactly the best of situation for the airman strapped to it ... or the first responders. Supposedly there was concern it would fire off with touchdown forces/shaking.

Apparently there were known issues with these particular ejection rockets fleet wide. Seems this incident is the straw that broke that camel’s back finally (thankfully before more deaths and the skill and luck of this particular crew)

You clearly cannot be referencing the May 1 emergency landing...

Okcflyer

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:29 am

checksixx wrote:
Okcflyer wrote:

You clearly cannot be referencing the May 1 emergency landing...

Just repeating what I heard ... and I made it clear it didn’t come from a confirmed or official source.

FWIW: the offensive ordinance officer is the first to go in the manual eject sequence. The escape hatch above this position was missing on landing. Engine fire was confirmed by local media. Maybe someday we’ll know the fine details but the story I repeated was shared about 3 weeks ago with heavy focus on the ejection charge issue. I didn’t share the story until the news broke about the fleet being grounded which admittedly caught me a bit off guard given the conversation a couples weeks prior.

mmo
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 am

Looks as if the B-1 has been cleared to resume flight operations. Although the problem is still there.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2018 ... complaint/
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Okcflyer

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:11 am

https://www.mrt.com/news/article/B-1B-c ... 080042.php

During a routine training flight May 1, the B-1 indicated fire warnings in three areas of the aircraft. With fire visually confirmed by the aircrew, they took appropriate flight procedures to extinguish the flames. One fire indicator light remained, which prompted the aircraft commander to heed technical orders.

Despite auditory warning systems and depressurization, the aircrew safely landed at Midland International Airport. This was the first-ever successful landing of a B-1B experiencing these malfunctions.
"I am extremely proud of these four individuals who exemplified excellence in an uncertain and potentially fatal situation,” said Col. Brandon Parker, 7th Bomb Wing commander. “It's humbling for me as a leader to be reminded of the caliber of airmen with whom I have the privilege to serve. These accomplishments reflect the very best of who we are as a nation and service.

estorilm

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
https://www.mrt.com/news/article/B-1B-crew-members-receive-Flying-Cross-13080042.php

During a routine training flight May 1, the B-1 indicated fire warnings in three areas of the aircraft. With fire visually confirmed by the aircrew, they took appropriate flight procedures to extinguish the flames. One fire indicator light remained, which prompted the aircraft commander to heed technical orders.

Despite auditory warning systems and depressurization, the aircrew safely landed at Midland International Airport. This was the first-ever successful landing of a B-1B experiencing these malfunctions.
"I am extremely proud of these four individuals who exemplified excellence in an uncertain and potentially fatal situation,” said Col. Brandon Parker, 7th Bomb Wing commander. “It's humbling for me as a leader to be reminded of the caliber of airmen with whom I have the privilege to serve. These accomplishments reflect the very best of who we are as a nation and service.

Wow , I'd love to know some more of these details. My father received a DFC in Vietnam - it's certainly not something you get for running a few checklists or brainstorming a few faults. You're essentially facing certain death at one point or another, and manage to beat all odds through skill, determination, and airmanship. Kudos to the crew of one of my favorite aircraft - hopefully more information will come to light some day!