citationjet
Topic Author
Posts: 2390
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:26 am

B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 pm

A B-52H located the lost crew of an open ocean Polynesian-style canoe after they were missing at sea for six days. The B-52H joined the search when the crew from Barksdale Air Force Base, La., was on a routine flight during a deployment to Guam. The bomber crew responded to a call from the Coast Guard for assistance in the search on June 25. They found the canoe within 3 hours of receiving the call. They spotted it from 19,000 ft.

Initially the crew of the B-52H was unfamiliar with the type of vessel they were searching for. Coast Guard personal compared the small, difficult to spot indigenous canoe with the boat from the Disney cartoon "Moana". Capt. Simpson told media, "We asked for more details about the vessel and the dispatcher told us, 'It's just like the boat from [the Disney film] 'Moana.'"

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-b-52-bomber-crew-rescues-canoe-lost-in-the-pacific-2018-7?amp%3Butm_medium=referral
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Disney film, lost Polynesians, B52s, and a happy ending. Great juxtapositions.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 am

What a happy ending. Great little story.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14818
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:46 am

citationjet wrote:
"We asked for more details about the vessel and the dispatcher told us, 'It's just like the boat from [the Disney film] 'Moana.'"


Image
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
flapsdown40
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:41 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm

citationjet wrote:
A B-52H located the lost crew of an open ocean Polynesian-style canoe after they were missing at sea for six days. The B-52H joined the search when the crew from Barksdale Air Force Base, La., was on a routine flight during a deployment to Guam. The bomber crew responded to a call from the Coast Guard for assistance in the search on June 25. They found the canoe within 3 hours of receiving the call. They spotted it from 19,000 ft.

Initially the crew of the B-52H was unfamiliar with the type of vessel they were searching for. Coast Guard personal compared the small, difficult to spot indigenous canoe with the boat from the Disney cartoon "Moana". Capt. Simpson told media, "We asked for more details about the vessel and the dispatcher told us, 'It's just like the boat from [the Disney film] 'Moana.'"

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-b-52-bomber-crew-rescues-canoe-lost-in-the-pacific-2018-7?amp%3Butm_medium=referral


The B52 crew spotted the canoe from 19,000 feet. Wow. Just- wow. Amazing crew.
I'm already insane but I'm not crazy!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 6510
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Nice story, thanks for sharing.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Planeflyer
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:26 am

Sorry don’t understand how they spotted it? Wouldn’t think a radar on the buff would work well on the ocean.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Sorry don’t understand how they spotted it? Wouldn’t think a radar on the buff would work well on the ocean.


Via visual. Even at 19,000 feet you can still see pretty well when we're talking about an object the size of a small conference room floating in the ocean.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:35 pm

To visualize that in real life, have someone point out to you something 3-4 miles away
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Water tower on a clear day for instance. Easy to spot against a clear blue sky.
 
Planeflyer
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 am

If they spotted it visually I’m impressed.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:29 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Water tower on a clear day for instance. Easy to spot against a clear blue sky.


You're making this sound a lot easier than what it would've been. A 6 person Ploynesian canoe would've been a dot from that height, even on a clear day.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Did the buff have eoir sensor?

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Simply clicking the article would show how it was actually spotted... :banghead:

Image
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 8183
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Boy that looks like some very calm water, and a sail with no wind.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:52 pm

So it did have IR tracking camera. Then all you need is to have an algorithm to identify anomalies for further investigation. Like the article said, the problem would have been the cloud cover . . .

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
User avatar
kc135topboom
Posts: 11054
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:26 am

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Great job by the B-52 crew.
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 am

bikerthai wrote:
So it did have IR tracking camera. Then all you need is to have an algorithm to identify anomalies for further investigation. Like the article said, the problem would have been the cloud cover . . .

bt

Looks like footage from a targeting pod...
 
RetiredWeasel
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: B-52 finds canoe in Pacific in search and rescue mission

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:50 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
bikerthai wrote:
So it did have IR tracking camera. Then all you need is to have an algorithm to identify anomalies for further investigation. Like the article said, the problem would have been the cloud cover . . .

bt

Looks like footage from a targeting pod...


Are we sure that this is not footage from an HC-130 or some other CG aircraft that went out after the B-52 identified the canoe's position?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos