Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mxaxai

Re: Tempest Fighter Jet Programme News and Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:48 am

Ozair wrote:
At this point in time the funding isn’t there to develop the airframe and associated systems. ... Given the UK keeps changing their mind on whether they can afford new aircraft, tanks, SP artillery etc I can’t see the justification for a significant investment in an aircraft that may never reach their development goals for lack of funding. It is very much a chicken or egg problem, put the funds in on the promise the aircraft may be better than contemporaries but if you skimp or underfund you will waste that investment.

In a similar line of thought, the UK are considering to scrap their tanks altogether. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53909087

He said: "The main threat is less missiles and tanks. It's the weaponisation of those elements of globalisation that hitherto have made us prosperous and secure, such as mobility of goods, people, data and ideas."

Defence chiefs have talked of investing in new "sunrise capabilities" such as cyber and electronic warfare, and reducing "sunset capabilities", without spelling out what that might include.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has also underlined change ahead. He has promised to invest more in the domains of space and cyber and new unmanned systems on land, sea and air.

It might be cheaper and more effective to acquire more F-35 (in the long run) and turn Tempest into a stealth / supersonic loyal wingman program. That way the UK would still get significant work share and create a product that brings an entirely new capability to the market. If tanks are considered obsolete, I could see the UK give up on crewed aircraft development as well.

Ozair

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 pm

The UK is still looking for partners and still courting India which would be a good fit for the program. It likely wouldn't mix with the current Indian policy for local development which is unfortunate since I consider AMCA and Tempest a good fit.

Doors Still Open For India To Co-Develop ‘Tempest’ Sixth-Gen Fighter Jet With The UK

As reported last year, India had been invited by the United Kingdom to jointly develop the next-gen fighter under the Tempest Future Fighter Aircraft project.

Officials of the British Ministry of Defense (MoD) along with executives from BAE Systems were expected to brief Indian Defence Ministry and Indian Air Force (IAF) officials regarding the project. Nik Khanna, head of BAE Systems India, while speaking to the Business Standard back then, had said –

“We are looking for international partners to access the best-assured capability (for developing the Tempest).”

While referring to the specific role of New Delhi in the Tempest Project, Khanna said – “A big cost driver for a futuristic aerospace system is going to be the requirement for more and more software engineers. India has a huge capability in that area.”

However, despite no developments on India’s role in the Tempest project and proposal almost falling through, it seems that New Delhi could still join the program along with the likes of Japan and Netherlands.

https://eurasiantimes.com/indias-6th-ge ... -aircraft/

Ozair

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:48 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Ozair wrote:
At this point in time the funding isn’t there to develop the airframe and associated systems. ... Given the UK keeps changing their mind on whether they can afford new aircraft, tanks, SP artillery etc I can’t see the justification for a significant investment in an aircraft that may never reach their development goals for lack of funding. It is very much a chicken or egg problem, put the funds in on the promise the aircraft may be better than contemporaries but if you skimp or underfund you will waste that investment.

In a similar line of thought, the UK are considering to scrap their tanks altogether. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53909087

He said: "The main threat is less missiles and tanks. It's the weaponisation of those elements of globalisation that hitherto have made us prosperous and secure, such as mobility of goods, people, data and ideas."

Defence chiefs have talked of investing in new "sunrise capabilities" such as cyber and electronic warfare, and reducing "sunset capabilities", without spelling out what that might include.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has also underlined change ahead. He has promised to invest more in the domains of space and cyber and new unmanned systems on land, sea and air.

Yes, hence why I mentioned the indecision. This upcoming defence review is being looking at as worse than the 2010 review and it will be interesting to see what is proposed and what actually comes to pass.

mxaxai wrote:
It might be cheaper and more effective to acquire more F-35 (in the long run) and turn Tempest into a stealth / supersonic loyal wingman program. That way the UK would still get significant work share and create a product that brings an entirely new capability to the market. If tanks are considered obsolete, I could see the UK give up on crewed aircraft development as well.

Certainly an option that has merit but I don't think the UK will go that way, at the very least they likely see some decent export potential from Middle East orders that mean a lot to UK Industry.

Ozair

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Not sure I agree with the economic case for the Tempest based on the below. I assume the value to the treasury is from export of Tempest to other nations, at which point you have to wonder what price they used to calculate the cost and whether that factors in purely acquisition or additionally sustainment. Either way, I don’t see how US$32 billion is a great figure to laud given Tempest development will probably cost that and then some, before the first squadron of Tempest enter UK service.

Additionally I can’t think of a fighter program that has recently met their export forecasts…

UK states economic case for Tempest development

The industrial partners in the Tempest project have stated the financial case for the future combat air system (FCAS), which they claim will support thousands of jobs and generate billions of pounds for the UK’s economy.

Speaking to reporters on 15 October, representatives from the industry team developing the fighter and its associated capabilities said that an average of 20,000 jobs will be supported by the programme from 2026–50, and that the project will be worth at least GBP25.3 billion (USD32.8 billion) to the Treasury over the same time period.

“Along with meeting a major military requirement, the programme is expected to deliver significant benefits to the UK over its full lifetime. It will preserve sovereign capability whilst investing in highly skilled jobs, with a specific focus on young people, developing technology and infrastructure, and will support the wider economy and long-term prosperity of the UK,” Team Tempest leader BAE Systems said, adding, “There are currently 1,800 people employed across UK industry and the MoD, a number that is set to increase to 2,500 next year.”

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... evelopment

RJMAZ

Re: UK unveils new Tempest fighter jet model as replacement of the Typhoon

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:14 am

This is not surprising to me. 2 years ago I posted in this very thread that a U.K designed and built tempest will fail and many said I was wrong.

I wrote:

RJMAZ wrote:
All future large military projects will be joint programs to some extent. Even if the U.K does this themselves it will still involve a massive amount of US companies.

The USA, Japan, South Korea, U.K, France and Germany all want a supercruising, stealthy and long range fighter in the next decade or two. Like with Japan we will see a prototype but nothing will get a financially tick of approval to begin procurement for an order of under 100 aircraft. This will see countries swallow their pride a bit and agree on a realistic set of requirements.

It looks like the U.K is swallowing its pride as I expected. The U.K will simply buy F-35A in the short term and try to get more workshare in the F-35 program in the medium term.

The USAF 6th gen fighter already flying completely kills any chance of Tempest seeing the light of day. They were effectively the same layout and specification. My original idea of a fairly even joint project with the USAF also seems doubtful. If a potential enemy fields and aircraft that threatens the F-35A then the U.K can just purchase a silver bullet fleet of 6th gen fighter the USAF is testing. I'd probably expect the U.K to join the USAF as a minor tech partner in a year or two when Tempest officially gets killed.

vrbarreto

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:02 am

When will India learn? Put money into a project and see it go the way of FGFA.. It'll be pumping money into a project that may keep Brexit Britain aerospace manufacturing going for a while which will eventually be dropped and left with nothing..

art

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:22 am

Tempest update from the participating companies...

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... ghter.html

RJMAZ

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:52 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulkennar ... older/amp/

Therefore, if the U.K. were to go to the USAF or U.S. Navy and say ‘we want in,’ there would be something tangible to offer to buy themselves a seat at the table. A portion of the R&D costs/risk for influence into the project, a market for U.K.-derived technology and a cut on export orders.

It’s a very attractive option. It is estimated that the 15% U.K. workshare on F-35 supports some 20,000 jobs across over 100 U.K. companies, and even at this early stage of the production cycle, some £5 billion in revenue has been received.

Such a payback, however, requires up-front investment and commitment. Perhaps the post Covid and Brexit world is simply too unknown for such a huge gamble, either in leading Tempest or in joining a U.S. 6th Generation project. It has been discussed widely by Defense thinkers that the U.K. simply cannot afford to run Typhoon, continue to buy and field the intended 138 F-35s and pay for the R&D for Tempest.

A great article. It casts doubt on how all of these 6th fighters will enter service.

texl1649

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:29 am

Very good article, RJMAZ, I agree. The Tempest seems wholly like a fools bargain, to me. Depending on the Italians for basically the software suite (which is critical), makes no sense long term, to a project bound to be very scrutinized financially. Mock-ups, and modeling flight characteristics, are a very small portion of total procurement/R&D costs. The challenge is really that the USAF program is not ‘of record’ yet, just rumors of a flying prototype, so there’s nothing to ‘offer’ or attempt to buy into. I suspect the USN program will be many years off, but there’s no rush. The F-35’s and Typhoons have plenty of life ahead of them.

Tempest, were it my tax dollars, I’d certainly want to see minimal funds thrown at.

GDB

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:54 pm

Another report on the same event;
https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/te ... 50.article

As noted, it's not only a UK program, Italy has the partners and a similar operational need, Sweden may well become a player, they all bring stuff to the party.
I agree it's an uncertain time, for everything in life it seems, when the BAe ACA mock up was at F.I. 82 show, like the Tempest in 2018, it was the start of a long effort, which had uncertainty when France pulled out in 1985, Germany it's part in the EAP technology demonstrator which flew in 1986, then the end of the Cold War, when Germany very nearly pulled out entirely.
Yet here we are, what started in 1982 as a speculative mock up began production deliveries 20 years later.

I also agree that the 138 F-35B's are unrealistic, they always have been, ever heard of bargaining chips? Numbers tend to be pared back in successive defence reviews, best to insulate against this inevitability by trying to ensure you still end up with decent numbers at the end, start out asking for say 50 less than that at the start, you won't end up with 88.
About 70 F-35B's would suffice, though topped up with 30-40 F-35A (UK), allowing RAF force levels to be maintained when the Batch 1 Typhoons go. This version also being cheaper to operate.
These two F-35A (UK) squadrons also easing the pressure on the F-35B fleet, to ally the concerns of the Navy.

(Elements of the above paragraph from a conversation I had at the RAF 100 event in London in 2018, in the static park was full size F-35B model and a LM UK rep ).

As to whether our tax £ should be spend and a lot less of them, by perhaps joining a US 6th Generation program, that rather misses the whole point of the Tempest project.
You can hardly seek to maintain and develop national capability in the areas that Tempest seeks to do, by joining as a very junior partner in a program that has the same goals in mind, as well as, like Tempest, eventually delivering a combat system.
And let's be honest here, there has been a history of the US having a rather singular view of 'technology transfer'.

Not the UK did not benefit from the JSF/F-35, being a partner very early on, was good for the industry, they had to earn it, BAe's Replica project and RR's Lift Fan being the biggest ones.
However this was not to the exclusion of the Typhoon project, by then in it's final development stages and into production.

The USMC and RAF/RN had a joint need, the UK had tech to offer and a couple of billion £ up front (late 1990's), VSTOL co-operation went back to the 1970's, (even 60's if you count the Tri Service Kestral Unit).

Finally, you can support this project and still loathe and detest the whole shameful Brexit shitshow, this project started before that nonsense.

RJMAZ

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 pm

GDB wrote:
I also agree that the 138 F-35B's are unrealistic, they always have been, ever heard of bargaining chips?

The choice of the RAF operating more F-35B aircraft than the aircraft carrier can support is interesting. The RAF has put up a very strong argument. The range of the F-35B on internal fuel is the same as the Eurofighter on internal fuel. Yes the F-35A has 30% greater range but I still think of deployment flexibility of the F-35B far outweighs this. When operating in a foreign theatre with their aircraft carrier the RAF proposed that not all F-35B aircraft would have to operate entire fom the carrier. It is easy to speculate the F-35B will operate closer to where allied troops are located. Not needing a long runway is extremely good. The best example would be if the west tried to defend Taiwan. It would be like a scaled up Falkland war. The F-35B would be far more valuable than the Eurofighter or F-35A.

Nearly all state of the art fighters become mediocre in capability as the decades pass. They stick around because they provide extra capability at very low cost and can even get basic upgrades to keep them relevant. The F-35B would provide high end capability initially but after 2030 they are also perfectly suited to provide the risk reduction and core capability underneith a new high end aircraft.

The members that think the RAF will buy a small fleet of F-35A I think they will just wait until something even longer ranged will come along. I am certain it will be the US built 6th gen fighter.

GDB

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:28 pm

RJMAZ wrote:
GDB wrote:
I also agree that the 138 F-35B's are unrealistic, they always have been, ever heard of bargaining chips?

The choice of the RAF operating more F-35B aircraft than the aircraft carrier can support is interesting. The RAF has put up a very strong argument. The range of the F-35B on internal fuel is the same as the Eurofighter on internal fuel. Yes the F-35A has 30% greater range but I still think of deployment flexibility of the F-35B far outweighs this. When operating in a foreign theatre with their aircraft carrier the RAF proposed that not all F-35B aircraft would have to operate entire fom the carrier. It is easy to speculate the F-35B will operate closer to where allied troops are located. Not needing a long runway is extremely good. The best example would be if the west tried to defend Taiwan. It would be like a scaled up Falkland war. The F-35B would be far more valuable than the Eurofighter or F-35A.

Nearly all state of the art fighters become mediocre in capability as the decades pass. They stick around because they provide extra capability at very low cost and can even get basic upgrades to keep them relevant. The F-35B would provide high end capability initially but after 2030 they are also perfectly suited to provide the risk reduction and core capability underneith a new high end aircraft.

The members that think the RAF will buy a small fleet of F-35A I think they will just wait until something even longer ranged will come along. I am certain it will be the US built 6th gen fighter.

Back in the early days of the JSF to F-35, the RN of course wanted a Sea Harrier replacement, if they got new carriers, (the project to do that began with the 1998 Strategic Defence Review), the RAF were then looking at a squadron to squadron replacement for Harriers, already some were operating off Invincible Class carriers, (or rather squeezed on!)
However as it turned out, two of the RAF Harrier units converted to Typhoons, then in 2010, by common consent in UK defence circles, the most botched, poorly thought out 2010 Strategic Defence Review, cut the Harriers entirely, the Treasury basically telling the Ministry of Defence, it's either the Harriers or the Tornados.

Going back to the turn of the century, there was a requirement to replace the Tornado GR.4's around 2020, perhaps by a mix of then poorly defined UCAV's and maybe a multi national effort to build a low observable strike aircraft.
In the end, heaping another big ticket program on plenty of others meant that faded away, in any case, deployment of Tomahawk Cruise Missiles on RN SSN's, the CVF program producing the large carrier option and of course, the engagement of the forces in Iraq and Afghanistan shifted funds and focus,

138 F-35B's made sense when it was thought that a couple of RAF units, a couple of RN too, equipped with F-35B's in a one to one Harrier replacement, which has not happened.
I know the retired Admiral West based his concerns on having enough frames for two full on F-35B airgroups for both vessels, in my view, very unlikely.
Aside from availability, if both CVF's were operational one might well have a small F-35B group and be maxing out on support and attack choppers in the large Commando Carrier role, just to give one example.

It is also worth remembering this Tempest Program is not just industry keeping themselves busy, it's a MoD led effort with the RAF deeply involved from the start.

Ozair

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:14 am

Well the UK Government has made an emphatic show of support for Tempest by committing funding for the project as part of a wider increase in the defence budget.

UK government commits to Tempest with promise of cash injection

The UK government has committed itself to the Future Combat Air System Technology Initiative (FCAS TI) in general and the Tempest future fighter in particular as part of a wider GBP16.5 billion (USD21.8 billion) multiyear funding settlement for the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Formally announced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on 19 November the deal, combined with a manifesto commitment of a 0.5% uplift, takes the total extra spend on defence to GBP24.1 billion over the next four years. It includes GBP1.5 billion in research and development (R&D) for programmes, such as the FCAS TI effort of which Tempest is a core tenet.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... -injection

Good signs at least initially that the UK is committed to the process.

Ozair

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:58 am

A new conceptual image of Tempest as well as a good summary article by George at UK Defence Journal.

A new image of the Tempest fighter jet has been revealed by the Royal Air Force.

The image, show below, accompanied the news that ‘Team Tempest’ have strengthened relationships across UK industry.

Team Tempest is a UK technology and defence partnership formed by BAE Systems, Leonardo, MBDA, Rolls-Royce and the RAF, and involving hundreds of high-tech companies, SMEs and academia across the UK.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-ima ... ghter-jet/

Not sure whether I like the image or not although I do think it is better than the first concept.

mxaxai

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:52 am

Ozair wrote:
Not sure whether I like the image or not although I do think it is better than the first concept.

While it is a nice image by itself, I don't see any major changes to the prior mockup.

The inlets remind me of the F-105 ...

zululima

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:19 pm

mxaxai wrote:
The inlets remind me of the F-105 ...

Yep, dog-tooth inlets. The rest looks like a stealthy F4D Skyray.

Ozair

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:29 pm

Further programme work for Tempest, this agreement covers research, development and joint concept work before the full development phase begins in 2025. Interestingly Italy has recently commented on how the see similarities between Tempest and FCAS and how two future aircraft will impact Europe while the UK seems pretty belligerent that the use cases and concepts are different and two aircraft will foster competition.

Italy, UK and Sweden sign MoU on development of Tempest

Italian Defence Minister Lorenzo Guerini, UK Secretary of State for Defence Ben Wallace, and Swedish Defence Minister Peter Hultqvist signed a trilateral memorandum of understanding (MoU) on 21 December on the development of the Tempest future fighter, the Italian Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced in a press release on 3 January.

Describing the Future Combat Air System Cooperation (FCASC) MoU as “crucial for the balance of military and industrial capabilities at the European and global level”, the ministry said the agreement defines “the general principles for co-operation on an equal basis between the three countries comprising all activities including research, development and joint concepting necessary for governments to acquire an advanced air system to replace Eurofighter”. The MoD added, “The agreement will be followed by the project arrangements and the full development phase, currently scheduled to begin in 2025.”

As underlined by Guerini during the presentation of the Documento Programmatico Pluriennale (Multiyear Planning Document, DPP) 2020–2022 to the Italian parliament in November, “The Tempest programme is among the defence priority programmes,” according to the MoD press release, which said “a first important budget line for Italian participation in Tempest was clearly identified within the Eurofighter programme to allow for the concrete start of activities through the so-called ‘Typhoon to Tempest’ [technological] transition”.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... of-tempest

art

Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:08 pm

Ozair wrote:

How does Tempest square with the Gripen E programme? Does Sweden reduce development efforts on the Gripen E while waiting to see if Tempest actually gives rise to a production aircraft?

Ozair

Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:12 pm

art wrote:
Ozair wrote:

How does Tempest square with the Gripen E programme? Does Sweden reduce development efforts on the Gripen E while waiting to see if Tempest actually gives rise to a production aircraft?

I think right now Sweden is hedging their bets. They have yet to commit to adopting Tempest as a replacement for Gripen but want to make sure they are not excluded from technical development and engineering work on future fighter programs. Sweden (really Saab) today couldn’t build a competitive fighter jet without assistance from other vendors, with engines and some bespoke systems, and I expect Sweden has realised that they won’t be able to build a Gripen replacement without that global knowledge.

What I expect will happen is Saab building a Swedish Tempest aircraft, so a base airframe that has some specific Swedish customisations that make it more ideal for their use case and perhaps leverage local Industry to a greater extent. You would expect customizations to be things like better STOL performance, meet their operational concept for dispersed operations and use dedicated Swedish systems such as EW, radar etc. Gripen E won’t be viable against near peer threats from the middle 2030s and therefore Sweden will need something to move on towards.

Irt

Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 pm

Ozair wrote:
art wrote:
Ozair wrote:

I think right now Sweden is hedging their bets. They have yet to commit to adopting Tempest as a replacement for Gripen but want to make sure they are not excluded from technical development and engineering work on future fighter programs. Sweden (really Saab) today couldn’t build a competitive fighter jet without assistance from other vendors, with engines and some bespoke systems, and I expect Sweden has realised that they won’t be able to build a Gripen replacement without that global knowledge.

What I expect will happen is Saab building a Swedish Tempest aircraft, so a base airframe that has some specific Swedish customisations that make it more ideal for their use case and perhaps leverage local Industry to a greater extent. You would expect customizations to be things like better STOL performance, meet their operational concept for dispersed operations and use dedicated Swedish systems such as EW, radar etc. Gripen E won’t be viable against near peer threats from the middle 2030s and therefore Sweden will need something to move on towards.

There wont be another Swedish specific aircraft. I think the lessons have been learned with the Gripen, what works for Sweden dont work for many other nations. There is no point in develop a Swedish radar or EW suite or better STOL performance for at most 50-60 planes. I think Saab and the other involved firms will delelop the avionics together, one baseline version for all involved nations to reduce cost.

The plan for the Gripen E is the same as for the Typhoon, new systems developed for the Tempest will also be implemented in the Gripen E. I doubt the Gripen E will be obsolete just 10 years after its introduction, especially if its uppgraded with newer avionics from the Tempest program. Im sure all of the Eurocanards will be in service till atleast 2050, and will stay relevant with upgrades till then.

Ozair

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:18 am

Irt wrote:
There wont be another Swedish specific aircraft. I think the lessons have been learned with the Gripen, what works for Sweden dont work for many other nations. There is no point in develop a Swedish radar or EW suite or better STOL performance for at most 50-60 planes. I think Saab and the other involved firms will delelop the avionics together, one baseline version for all involved nations to reduce cost.

I could see it being hard for Sweden to walk away from 60 years of dispersed ops to operate Tempest in that way. While there is no justification financially to develop those customizations for Sweden the whole Gripen escapade has shown it isn’t built on fiscal sense to begin with but primarily an industrial program to preserve domestic technical and manufacturing ability (noting there is little difference between that and most domestic fighter programs, whether it is the Japanese F-X, Korean KF-X, Turkish T-X, France Rafale etc). In that context I see no reason Sweden via Saab wouldn’t want to pursue local customizations that meet their stated unique requirements

Irt wrote:
The plan for the Gripen E is the same as for the Typhoon, new systems developed for the Tempest will also be implemented in the Gripen E.

So that is good in theory but you then have a significant issue for Typhoon and lesser extent Rafale/Gripen (who still have export partners who want continued development and support). Eurofighters for Germany and Spain being upgraded along FCAS lines and Eurofighters in Italy and the UK being upgraded along Tempest lines. I think the reality is a continued common configuration and merely Eurofighter/Rafale/Gripen testbeds for the respective programs.

Additionally I think the whole claim of retrofitting Eurocanards with Tempest/FCAS developed equipment is merely a sales pitch by the vendors from both programs to justify the develop cost as also being useful for existing aircraft. What will happen in reality I expect to be very different. What do you expect could be transferred to Eurofighter/Rafale/Gripen that you would want in your 5.5th gen aircraft anyway…? What has transferred from US 5th gens back to 4th gen? What was tested on 4th gens that was moved to 5th gens? The reality is very little because the concept of operations for those jets changes significantly as you make that generational change. As a first example look at the change from T1 to T2/3 Eurofighters, the T1s are being retired because the cost to upgrade is simply too great for something as simple as a radar and that is on an aircraft that is 95% plus common. As a second example as fantastic as MADL is for the F-35 fleet with sensor integration and situational awareness it isn’t being retrofitted to 4th gen platforms, they simply won’t have the avionics and hardware available to handle it and the cost to make those changes is too great. What we will see is MADL gateways to allow MADL equipped aircraft share what they can with non MADL aircraft, clearly not the full picture but enough to improve the overall tactical picture for all assets.

Irt wrote:
I doubt the Gripen E will be obsolete just 10 years after its introduction, especially if its uppgraded with newer avionics from the Tempest program. Im sure all of the Eurocanards will be in service till atleast 2050, and will stay relevant with upgrades till then.

None of the Eurocanards are today competitive against 5th gen platforms, realistically all three would not get first look first shot opportunity against a 5th gen aircraft nor advanced ground threats and that changes the dynamic of how engagements would run. That doesn’t mean they are retired, the USAF will continue to use 4th gen assets into the 2040s and would use them today against a near peer with 5th gen/advanced ground threat assets. The difference being the USAF have their own 5th gen, sufficient support assets and straight up numbers to leverage parity. As the RAND study from a couple of months ago https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_repo ... 311-1.html made clear, NATO non 5th gen fighter assets likely contribute in different ways in future air conflicts and will still have a role into the 2030s, just not perhaps the role originally envisioned.

mxaxai

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm

Irt wrote:

Disregarding the development cost for the systems, a distinct Swedish variant would reduce maintenance and operations compatibility with other air forces. This would run counter to the Swedish emphasis on forward bases and dispersed operations. If STOL performance, for example, was bought by simply increasing engine thrust, this would create a different maintenance program with new schedules. If there are actually modified parts, Sweden must have larger numbers in stock since the UK (or Italy) could not provide compatible spares in times of need. In joint operations, mechanics would need training on both variants.

Ozair wrote:
What do you expect could be transferred to Eurofighter/Rafale/Gripen that you would want in your 5.5th gen aircraft anyway…? What has transferred from US 5th gens back to 4th gen? What was tested on 4th gens that was moved to 5th gens?

What we will see is MADL gateways to allow MADL equipped aircraft share what they can with non MADL aircraft, clearly not the full picture but enough to improve the overall tactical picture for all assets.

Ozair wrote:
Spear 3 will be a good weapon for the UK. I expect once integration is complete there will be other F-35 users who will be keen to acquire this capability.

The British pick MBDA’s Spear 3 cruise missile for their F-35s

For the moment, the weapon, which has a range in excess of 140 kilometers, is destined to be fitted solely to the F-35B models. But that could change, with Ministry of Defence officials admitting there is a possibility Spear 3 might also eventually be installed on the Royal Air Force’s fleet of Eurofighter Typhoon fighters.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... eir-f-35s/

There's one example of tech that was developed for a 5th Gen aircraft being (potentially) transferred to existing 4th Gen aircraft.

In general, though, I agree that major technology transfer requires upgrades to the avionics, which are costly and have a high risk of delays. Aircraft software is, sadly, not as easily transferrable between systems compared to regular PC software. Similarly, electronics are often heavily customized to the platform, even if individual components are shared with others.

The opposite process is more likely, i. e. that improvements of the Gripen / Eurofighter / Rafale are transferred to the new 5th/6th Gen programs. For example, the new Eurofighter AESA radar (or a variant of it) could easily be used for the early FCAS or Tempest with the option to upgrade later on. Likewise, the 4th Gen aircraft can serve as testbeds for UI/UX improvements that are transferrable.

It is also possible that the more complex processing & sensor fusion is done on the more powerful 5th Gen avionics, and the results are transferred to the 4th Gen aircraft (similar to a streaming service at low data rates). For the time being, that would be done through Link 16 as a common standard interface, not MADL which is only on the F-35 (and B-2). Note that MADL was not implemented for the F-22 https://breakingdefense.com/2019/11/f-3 ... er-is-yes/ .

I have not seen any indication whether FCAS & Tempest want to adopt MADL or if a new data link might be developed. A joint operator of Tempest + F-35, like the UK or Italy, would probably prefer to have compatible systems.

Ozair wrote:
As the RAND study from a couple of months ago https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_repo ... 311-1.html made clear, NATO non 5th gen fighter assets likely contribute in different ways in future air conflicts and will still have a role into the 2030s, just not perhaps the role originally envisioned.

I have an issue with the premise of the study:
One common scenario considers a calculation by the Russian government that Russia could leverage a regional imbalance in ground forces to occupy some slice of NATO territory, employ air defenses to stave off allied air forces, present a fait accompli similar to that seen in Crimea, and politically divide NATO by calling for negotiations. The ability of European fifth-generation fighters to penetrate Russian air defenses and make significant combat contributions from the opening hours of a response—at the vanguard—would most likely challenge the logic behind this scenario, improving deterrence by increasing the Russian risks associated with this approach.

An open attack on NATO territory would be dissimilar to the situation in Crimea or Georgia; in both cases the attacked territory and state did not belong to NATO and therefore NATO was unable / unwilling to support, even if they had had the military power to do so. Crimea in particular was independent of fighter jets or major military actions at all. The study at no point justifies the stated premise.
However, other parts of the technical analysis are valid.

one Norwegian Air Commodore has highlighted the extent to which rapid post–Cold War technological developments made the offense superior to defense in air warfare

This is quite obvious given the lack of funding for SAM among NATO members. NATO could easily develop a competitor to the S-400. However, it does strike me as odd that NATO considers their own offense far superior to their defense, while at the same time the largest perceived threat is the enemy defense, not their offensive capability. There is at least one NATO member, Turkey, that considered a modern defensive capability important enough to sacrifice their F-35 for it.

Georgia, as mentioned above, is also an interesting case since Georgia had an effective ground-based air defence that shot down several aircraft. Yet, that did not deter the (non-stealth, non-SEAD) Russian air force from bombing targets at will, including military bases and the capital, Tbilisi. I would argue that the SAM threat is assessed differently due to the willingness to accept losses, even if the actual threat to the individual aircraft is the same.

The article also mentions:
A subsequent RAND study similarly noted the potential role of NATO combat aircraft in destroying Russian ground maneuver and artillery systems during a Baltic scenario, highlighting an imbalance in globally available combat aircraft: While NATO countries maintained 5,457 combat-capable aircraft worldwide in 2017 (of which 2,529 were non-U.S.), Russia maintained a total of 1,251.

but doesn't further comment on the effect of this imbalance. Although Russia is commonly said to prefer a "quantity over quality" approach, these numbers alone should indicate that Russia could not hope to win any conventional war against a united NATO by sheer size - with or without 5th Gen aircraft. Of course nobody wants a "fair fight", you should ensure that the fighting happens in the enemies' territory.

Quite interesting as well:
The resultant situational awareness and ability to defeat multiple threats at the same time makes an AESA capability essential for aspects of high-intensity operations—for example, to intercept cruise missiles. The French decision to procure AESA is informed by the opportunity to provide a 50 percent increase in detection range, including of low-observable targets, and maximize the value of new weapon systems such as the Meteor beyond visual range missile.

Whether on Tempest/FCAS or the 4th Gen platforms, all European nations will have to invest in good AESA systems and the associated HMI that makes use of the added capability.

The study concedes:
For defensive counter-air missions outside the threat range of Russian IADS, the F-35 offers few relative advantages to advanced fourth-generation fighters.

which should come as no surprise. The Eurofighter & Rafale were designed to counter older 4th Gen adversaries, while the US fighters have received continuous upgrades to keep up with them. The only thing that could change this balance is the introduction of enemy stealth aircraft, though the study makes no reference to the Su-57.

Relevant to the Swiss competition:
Ultimately, cutting costs [on the F-35] may require "less stressful missions such as flying straight and level in good weather conditions instead of high altitude missions in colder weather with lots of maneuvering” to decrease stress on an aircraft and maintain lifespan.

Ozair

Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:32 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Irt wrote:

Disregarding the development cost for the systems, a distinct Swedish variant would reduce maintenance and operations compatibility with other air forces. This would run counter to the Swedish emphasis on forward bases and dispersed operations. If STOL performance, for example, was bought by simply increasing engine thrust, this would create a different maintenance program with new schedules. If there are actually modified parts, Sweden must have larger numbers in stock since the UK (or Italy) could not provide compatible spares in times of need. In joint operations, mechanics would need training on both variants.

How would that be different to what Sweden do today? Sweden isn’t really in the game of interoperability, they didn’t use the F404/414 on the Gripen because it had interoperability with the USN and in no way does a specific Swedish Tempest variant detract from their concept of dispersed operations. Sweden has to maintain all their stock of Gripen parts already and while we see that having a larger pool of spares increases cost of ownership it doesn’t increase it exponentially. Additionally if Sweden are running a true concept of dispersed ops then every single site has a POL and munitions dump, a pool of spares etc.

mxaxai wrote:
Ozair wrote:
Spear 3 will be a good weapon for the UK. I expect once integration is complete there will be other F-35 users who will be keen to acquire this capability.

The British pick MBDA’s Spear 3 cruise missile for their F-35s

For the moment, the weapon, which has a range in excess of 140 kilometers, is destined to be fitted solely to the F-35B models. But that could change, with Ministry of Defence officials admitting there is a possibility Spear 3 might also eventually be installed on the Royal Air Force’s fleet of Eurofighter Typhoon fighters.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... eir-f-35s/

There's one example of tech that was developed for a 5th Gen aircraft being (potentially) transferred to existing 4th Gen aircraft.

You are referring to SPEAR 3? I think it would be incorrect to refer to SPEAR 3 as tech specifically developed for 5th gen aircraft. It is essentially the same concept or merge of AASM and SDB, both of which are used on multiple platforms both 4th and 5th gen.

mxaxai wrote:
The opposite process is more likely, i. e. that improvements of the Gripen / Eurofighter / Rafale are transferred to the new 5th/6th Gen programs. For example, the new Eurofighter AESA radar (or a variant of it) could easily be used for the early FCAS or Tempest with the option to upgrade later on. Likewise, the 4th Gen aircraft can serve as testbeds for UI/UX improvements that are transferrable.

Testbeds is fine, radar transfer is a little harder. If we look at SH as an example, it used the original classic Hornet radar for Blk I aircraft before going to the AESA APG-79 for Blk II. It could do that because the physical nose and avionics were essentially the same. While it is possible Tempest/FCAS could receive an advanced Eurofighter radar as an interim that isn’t really what we are talking about. Additionally FCAS at least is a very big aircraft compared to Eurofighter and Rafale and using the same radar from either would significantly limit aperture size compared to what was possible.

mxaxai wrote:
It is also possible that the more complex processing & sensor fusion is done on the more powerful 5th Gen avionics, and the results are transferred to the 4th Gen aircraft (similar to a streaming service at low data rates). For the time being, that would be done through Link 16 as a common standard interface, not MADL which is only on the F-35 (and B-2). Note that MADL was not implemented for the F-22 https://breakingdefense.com/2019/11/f-3 ... er-is-yes/ .

Not sure what you’re trying to say here. What you are suggesting is what is happening today already with 5th gen platforms sharing fused sensor data via Link 16. MADL is so significantly different to Link 16 in frequency, bandwidth and intent that you could never accomplish/share on Link 16 what you can do with MADL.

mxaxai wrote:
I have not seen any indication whether FCAS & Tempest want to adopt MADL or if a new data link might be developed. A joint operator of Tempest + F-35, like the UK or Italy, would probably prefer to have compatible systems.

Not sure it really matters at this stage.

Ozair

Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:24 am

Some really interesting details about the Tempest radar work has been released. Some of it makes sense, some of it is missing some logical analysis but over all seems like Tempest is going in the right direction with regards to sensors. I doubt much of this can be retrofitted to 4th gen aircraft given the significant processing and likely heat dissipation that will be required.

Secrets of Tempest’s ground-breaking radar revealed

Radar engineers on the Tempest fighter program have said they expect to break data-processing records. The secret, they explain, is all about miniaturization and going digital.

The sixth-generation jet — planned by the U.K., Sweden and Italy and set to enter service after 2030 — will bristle with new technology, from its weaponry and propulsion to a virtual cockpit projected inside the pilot’s helmet.

But the group set the bar high in October by announcing the fighter’s radar would process a quantity of data equivalent to nine hours of high-definition video — or the internet traffic of a medium-sized city — every second.

Few details were given to back up the claim, but now U.K.-based engineers with Italian firm Leonardo, who are working on the radar, have shared clues with Defense News.

Boosting performance will mean rethinking today’s electronically scanned radars, which have grids of small Transmit Receive Modules, or TRM, on the antenna, each generating an individual radar beam which can follow different targets or combine with others to create a larger beam.

The TRMs in the array are formed into groups, and the signals received by each group are fed to a receiver which digitalizes the data before passing it to the radar’s processor.

Due to their size, the receivers must be positioned back from the aircraft’s nose and accept the incoming analogue radar signal down coaxial cables, which incurs some data loss before the signal is digitalized.

To remedy that, Leonardo is working on miniaturizing the receivers so they can be moved up into the nose and integrated within the antenna, cutting out the need for a coaxial cable. The data emerging from the receiver must still travel to the processor, but by now it is digital and can flow down fiber-optic cables, reducing data loss.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/home/2021/01/1 ... -revealed/

There is a lot more detail at the link but it appears that they are aiming for a similar sensor fusion concept to the F-35, with a central engine processing all the data and providing a single fused picture to the pilot.

estorilm

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:54 pm

I LOVE how they're calling this thing 6th generation. SMH.

It'll prove a mediocre 5th gen that's only about three decades late to the party when it finally reaches IOC.

All I can do is pray that it's not wrapped up in all the political drama that joint-EU aviation programs usually are - if so this thing might be another TSR-2 (especially so once they realize how far technology has passed them by during development).

They NEED to stick with the F-35. Period. This is clearly just a matter of national pride for the UK, and honestly - they can't afford it. This is the Gerald Ford class vs. the Queen Elizabeth class, except in the skies. The only difference is that the US is basically offering them Ford's already and they don't have to spend the $$$$$$$$$$ on development - yet in typical stubborn British style, they want their "own" fighter.

GDB

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 pm

estorilm wrote:

It'll prove a mediocre 5th gen that's only about three decades late to the party when it finally reaches IOC.

All I can do is pray that it's not wrapped up in all the political drama that joint-EU aviation programs usually are - if so this thing might be another TSR-2 (especially so once they realize how far technology has passed them by during development).

They NEED to stick with the F-35. Period. This is clearly just a matter of national pride for the UK, and honestly - they can't afford it. This is the Gerald Ford class vs. the Queen Elizabeth class, except in the skies. The only difference is that the US is basically offering them Ford's already and they don't have to spend the $$$$$$$$$$ on development - yet in typical stubborn British style, they want their "own" fighter.

You cite TSR-2, well the lesson of that was well learned, no stubborn national pride as the results were the Jaguar, Tornado and Typhoon, all pan European projects, as is Tempest.
The first three kept the UK in the military aviation game, with rather more than the 50 or so TSR-2's that would ever have been built.

The UK was a significant and first non US member of JSF, with a significant UK industrial content, it's not a pride thing at all.

You have no grounds for predicting what form and when Tempest will enter service, it's like slagging off the JSF 20 years ago, a popular thing to do by some even long after it was clear those views had been overtaken by events, you still even now hear comments about QE carriers with no aircraft, 3 years after F-35's started flying off them.

Stop basing assumptions on very out of date ideas and and anti British sentiment, as much as our current PM can encourage it, he only got 43% of the vote y'know.

And as a reminder, are the Italians and Swedes being nationalistic and stubborn too?

estorilm

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 pm

GDB wrote:
estorilm wrote:

You cite TSR-2, well the lesson of that was well learned, no stubborn national pride as the results were the Jaguar, Tornado and Typhoon, all pan European projects, as is Tempest.
The first three kept the UK in the military aviation game, with rather more than the 50 or so TSR-2's that would ever have been built.

The UK was a significant and first non US member of JSF, with a significant UK industrial content, it's not a pride thing at all.

You have no grounds for predicting what form and when Tempest will enter service, it's like slagging off the JSF 20 years ago, a popular thing to do by some even long after it was clear those views had been overtaken by events, you still even now hear comments about QE carriers with no aircraft, 3 years after F-35's started flying off them.

Stop basing assumptions on very out of date ideas and and anti British sentiment, as much as our current PM can encourage it, he only got 43% of the vote y'know.

And as a reminder, are the Italians and Swedes being nationalistic and stubborn too?

Okay, well lets throw everything else out and start with the basics. Why are they calling this a 6th generation aircraft? Have they shown ANY capability of producing fundamental materials and components required for the most advanced fighter in the world? Or even a 5th gen? Stealth, avionics, RAM? What about their supply chain and manufacturers? Come on now...

The JSF is exactly my point, it took WAY longer than it should have, and honestly it wasn't one issue - it was many. Each contractor had their own issues to overcome, and MOST had already worked on 5th gen fighter projects or other modern stealth components with the F-22, B2, etc.

The Brits are just going to crap this technology out with zero experience? AND SKIP A GENERATION? With a government that spends THIRTEEN TIMES LESS than the US on its defense budget?! (and yes, that's WITH the JSF also being a TRUE multi-national project). :lol: Okaaaay.

The ONLY thing I could possibly see going well for this program is an engine program with RR, as no one else on earth has really proven capable of providing the thrust, efficiency, materials science, bypass ratios, packaging, and reliability that PW and GE have shown with modern high-performance jet engines. The (mostly RR-derived) EuroJet 200 that powers the Typhoon is a huge exception and a great engine, so they should be fine on this front (and they could really use the contract as well).

"The UK was a significant and first non US member of JSF, with a significant UK industrial content, it's not a pride thing at all."

Exactly - that's why I said they should stick with it. They're backed by an immense group of contractors and one of the largest defense contracts / programs in human history. Yet they feel the need to go off on a high-risk, low-reward native fighter program? Tell me again how this ISN'T a blatantly obvious matter of pride.

DMJ13030

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:40 pm

estorilm wrote:
GDB wrote:
estorilm wrote:

Okay, well lets throw everything else out and start with the basics. Why are they calling this a 6th generation aircraft? Have they shown ANY capability of producing fundamental materials and components required for the most advanced fighter in the world? Or even a 5th gen? Stealth, avionics, RAM? What about their supply chain and manufacturers? Come on now...

The JSF is exactly my point, it took WAY longer than it should have, and honestly it wasn't one issue - it was many. Each contractor had their own issues to overcome, and MOST had already worked on 5th gen fighter projects or other modern stealth components with the F-22, B2, etc.

The Brits are just going to crap this technology out with zero experience? AND SKIP A GENERATION? With a government that spends THIRTEEN TIMES LESS than the US on its defense budget?! (and yes, that's WITH the JSF also being a TRUE multi-national project). :lol: Okaaaay.

The ONLY thing I could possibly see going well for this program is an engine program with RR, as no one else on earth has really proven capable of providing the thrust, efficiency, materials science, bypass ratios, packaging, and reliability that PW and GE have shown with modern high-performance jet engines. The (mostly RR-derived) EuroJet 200 that powers the Typhoon is a huge exception and a great engine, so they should be fine on this front (and they could really use the contract as well).

"The UK was a significant and first non US member of JSF, with a significant UK industrial content, it's not a pride thing at all."

Exactly - that's why I said they should stick with it. They're backed by an immense group of contractors and one of the largest defense contracts / programs in human history. Yet they feel the need to go off on a high-risk, low-reward native fighter program? Tell me again how this ISN'T a blatantly obvious matter of pride.

Come on now. This smacks of blind nationalism and is clearly ignorant of what BAE and co have and are currently doing.

The Bae Replica was to show the US that the UK could do it ourselves if we really needed to on a 5th gen aircraft but for the sake of economies of scale we'd rather join the f35. BAE Systems makes circa 15% of the f35 including manufacturing large parts of the airframe due to the technological prowess shown via the Replica program. Take into account Rolls Royce's expertise along with Leonardos state of the art radar capabilities and the UK have everything they need to build on a 5th gen fighter technology base. Look into BAE Taranis if you think BAE have no experience in 5th Gen. Look into the MAGMA project they ran.

BAE and team have already demonstrated world firsts for next gen aircraft like the Haptic AR/VR cockpit, Leonardo recently mentioned how they're building a radar that has 10,000 times more processing power than any current system. There was an article in defensenews about how that is being done. Reaction Engines and Rolls Royce can (and probably are) making ground breaking propulsion breakthroughs in a number of areas including high mac propulsion.

Lets take capability and budget issues aside. You expect the RAF to not only use an aircraft that they have no control over (US still refuses to provide the source code), you expect them to base the entire fighter force around this aircraft that could theoretically be switched off at the whims of the US government. You also expect them to not have any any superiority aircraft (the f35 is a strike aircraft), no twin engined high endurance platform at all. No nation the size of the UK could do that and the US will never allow access or any soveriegn control over the PCA/F22 raptorm replacement, just as they never did with the f22.

You also expect the government to let go of thousands of combat aerospace roles in design etc to buy an off the shelf aircraft that enforces all the points in the above paragraph. Clearly that is neither economically or politically feasible.

There is a problem that the uk gov can't afford a new fighter program themselves but with the recent MoU with Italy and Sweden to run through to concepting in 2025 this shouldn't be an issue.

GDB

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:12 pm

DMJ13030 wrote:
estorilm wrote:
GDB wrote:

Come on now. This smacks of blind nationalism and is clearly ignorant of what BAE and co have and are currently doing.

The Bae Replica was to show the US that the UK could do it ourselves if we really needed to on a 5th gen aircraft but for the sake of economies of scale we'd rather join the f35. BAE Systems makes circa 15% of the f35 including manufacturing large parts of the airframe due to the technological prowess shown via the Replica program. Take into account Rolls Royce's expertise along with Leonardos state of the art radar capabilities and the UK have everything they need to build on a 5th gen fighter technology base. Look into BAE Taranis if you think BAE have no experience in 5th Gen. Look into the MAGMA project they ran.

BAE and team have already demonstrated world firsts for next gen aircraft like the Haptic AR/VR cockpit, Leonardo recently mentioned how they're building a radar that has 10,000 times more processing power than any current system. There was an article in defensenews about how that is being done. Reaction Engines and Rolls Royce can (and probably are) making ground breaking propulsion breakthroughs in a number of areas including high mac propulsion.

Lets take capability and budget issues aside. You expect the RAF to not only use an aircraft that they have no control over (US still refuses to provide the source code), you expect them to base the entire fighter force around this aircraft that could theoretically be switched off at the whims of the US government. You also expect them to not have any any superiority aircraft (the f35 is a strike aircraft), no twin engined high endurance platform at all. No nation the size of the UK could do that and the US will never allow access or any soveriegn control over the PCA/F22 raptorm replacement, just as they never did with the f22.

You also expect the government to let go of thousands of combat aerospace roles in design etc to buy an off the shelf aircraft that enforces all the points in the above paragraph. Clearly that is neither economically or politically feasible.

There is a problem that the uk gov can't afford a new fighter program themselves but with the recent MoU with Italy and Sweden to run through to concepting in 2025 this shouldn't be an issue.

Well said, going back nearly two and a half years into this thread, I noted how I saw the BAe ACA mockup at F.I. 82, after trials, tribulations, an unexpected and massive change in the world situation at the end of the 80's, 20 years later the first Typhoons were coming off the lines. After many had written it off numerous times.
So why not Tempests and related platforms doing the same in 2038?
And the reasons were the same, to retain skills and capabilities vital to the UK and their partner's security and economy.

Nothing wrong with partnerships with the US, as seen with F-35, not a good idea however to put all your eggs into one basket.

DMJ13030

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:58 pm

The US' enormous budget means countries like the UK, Japan, S Korea etc can look at capabilities they can't afford to develop themselves and buy off the shelf from the US. But when it comes to certain programs like an air superiority aircraft, you need a sovereign capability as a vital part of national security.

I know someone working on the tempest and believe me there are big efforts from outside the UK to try and stop the Tempest moving forward and force the UK to give some of it's leading tech to a program they don't have control of. It's clear from press statements that the Franco/German FCAS is pursuing that but apparently it is coming even more strongly from the US, who want Reaction Engines heat exchanger technology in particular to assimilate into their own jet projects. RR guys (and probably DARPA from the sound of it) believe that RELs heat exchanger technology is the key to sustained hypersonic flight and has already proven it with the test in Colorado.

The UK has world changing technology but not the budget to do a new air superiority jet by itself. From a UK perspective the biggest challenge of making Tempest happen as envisioned (A UK led venture or at least co-led venture) is to find suitable partners that aren't going to try and take over the the UKs native tech and assimilate it into their own platforms. It was ok to do that in f35 but doing that again would decimate an industry and throw away a massive opportunity.

GDB

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 pm

Then the lessons from history, in 1940 the UK gifted, via the Tizard Mission, a range of technologies where the US was nowhere or well behind.
Including jet engine technology and the latest radar developments.
A bit later the US developed, once in the war, a new AA gun director system, when the V-1's started hitting the UK we requested it and it was refused, until, perhaps inevitably, a V-1 struck a US Army column in England with heavy casualties and lo and behold, the direction system was sent.
They also made sure sure that V-2 technology was not shared, the way we were treated you would have thought we were the USSR.
It was our people those things killed.

Then the 1943 Ottawa agreement on atomic technology, sharing it between the UK, Canada and the US, it made sense for the UK to fold the pioneering Tube Alloys project into the Manhattan one, some 20% of the scientists were from the UK and Canada, it also meant that Churchill and well as Truman had to give the final go ahead to use them.
Then in 1946, without warning, the US ended it, no doubt thinking the near bankrupt UK would have to suck it up. Sending the UK and Canadians packing and insisting they destroyed any of their notes.
Fortunately PM Attlee was having none of it and started the UK bomb program.
Not until 1958, after US scientists were invited to the H-Bomb tests as part of Operation Grapple, did they realize the 1946 McMahan Act was both futile and damaging to Western security. Hence the agreement made that year that stands to this day.

Other examples included an agreement to share research on high speed flight, including an answer to buffeting and rudder control at transonic speeds, the promised sharing by the US was suddenly cut off and Yeager got his glory.

As the French say, 'we are your ally but not your vassal'.

estorilm

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:21 pm

DMJ13030 wrote:
estorilm wrote:
GDB wrote:

You're missing my point - I'm not talking about research projects, drones, proof-of-concept designs, or a giant empty model that looks cool for the press.

Lockheed had (BY FAR) exponentially more experience than any other contractor in the world with these 5th gen technologies following the F-22 program by the time they began the JSF, yet it has become financially disastrous compared to initial estimates.

You think I'm not giving the UK enough credit, and I think you need some more humility lol. Everyone has bits and pieces of this technology "ready to go" - my point is that the INTEGRATION of this technology is always the hard part. In fact some of the hardest parts of the program for a conventional air superiority fighter, will prove to be the least of their concerns with the Tempest as they move to refine and roll-out the software capabilities and avionics / sensor integration updates.

DMJ13030 wrote:

What have they demonstrated with all of these mock-ups?! Nothing. They look cool, and they're marketing tools for partners and the government - that's IT. That's how it works with defense and aerospace contractors, actually the automotive industry is famous for it as well.

"High mac propulsion"?! Seriously? How much fuel is this thing going to have? Again, these folks are going to go from a conventional 4.5 generation aircraft, to perfecting everything from RCS, RAM coatings, etc, SKIP over all of that, and somehow leapfrog engine development and enter some new realm of speed potential? If you plot the progression of every fighter aircraft in history, that is NOT how it works. Russia is 30 years behind the F-22 in many areas, and still lacking in avionics, RAM, and engines. Granted RR will have a great engine option for the Tempest, but everything else isn't going to be as easy as you think - and again, we aren't talking about an F-22 or SU-57, you're saying this is going to be FAR more advanced.

And yes I expect the RAF to use an aircraft they "have no control over" because they don't have the capability of editing the source code, and that's proprietary information of the US govt and Lockheed, which the RAF and everyone else agreed to when they bought the aircraft. It would be a complete cluster-f if everyone started modifying or stealing coding, and Lockheed would lose situational awareness of the aircraft programs and error correction / block update status fleet-wide, as well as support capabilities for each nation. I wouldn't expect RR to let a US company steal their lift fan system for the F-35 either. It's called the "joint" strike fighter for a reason. Also your comment on the RAF "NEEDING" an air superiority fighter is a joke. Last time I checked, you're a member of NATO right? If you're implying you'd get into a fight with the US military (which has a budget 15x greater) then uh... ok.

Also, saying the JSF is not an air superiority fighter is a bit unfair - it's technically labeled a multi-role combat aircraft, and was always intended to perform both strike and air superiority roles. This isn't Top Gun - in a real BVR conflict, zero adversary aircraft could touch an F-35, and I'd argue that it could hold it's own in WVR due to it's superior SA with the helmet mounted display / distributed aperture system and HOBS capability (maybe SU-35, 57 [when it gets real engines], and some other high AoA / snap-shot fighters - but by then the F-35 driver has really screwed up.)

The networking and SA capability of the JSF with other assets and other aircraft is the determining factor here, unless you've spent a lot of time researching it, I don't think you understand just how much of a total force multiplier it really is.

Anyways - to put things into perspective, the Tempest program today sits where the F-22 program did in 1986 - perhaps even earlier as in 86 Dem/Val and the two contractors had already been selected, AND funds were allocated, with significant design studies already complete for demonstration aircraft to begin construction.

We all know what happened in the preceding decades as they actually tried to develop and perfect the thing - program costs rose to $67 BILLION That's almost TWELVE Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers - of which they were BARELY able to complete two. So yes, I'm skeptical when you say you're not only going to meet, but leapfrog such technology in a fraction of the time, with a defense budget 15x smaller.

NONE of these programs ever go to plan - that's my point. The US "can afford" (that's debatable) absurd program and procurement costs like this - no one else has proven able to. Russia's attempt has become a joke, and they're targeting performance levels below that of the F-22 (RCS / kinematics / packaging.)

DMJ13030

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:12 pm

estorilm wrote:
DMJ13030 wrote:
estorilm wrote:

You're missing my point - I'm not talking about research projects, drones, proof-of-concept designs, or a giant empty model that looks cool for the press.

Lockheed had (BY FAR) exponentially more experience than any other contractor in the world with these 5th gen technologies following the F-22 program by the time they began the JSF, yet it has become financially disastrous compared to initial estimates.

You think I'm not giving the UK enough credit, and I think you need some more humility lol. Everyone has bits and pieces of this technology "ready to go" - my point is that the INTEGRATION of this technology is always the hard part. In fact some of the hardest parts of the program for a conventional air superiority fighter, will prove to be the least of their concerns with the Tempest as they move to refine and roll-out the software capabilities and avionics / sensor integration updates.

DMJ13030 wrote:

What have they demonstrated with all of these mock-ups?! Nothing. They look cool, and they're marketing tools for partners and the government - that's IT. That's how it works with defense and aerospace contractors, actually the automotive industry is famous for it as well.

"High mac propulsion"?! Seriously? How much fuel is this thing going to have? Again, these folks are going to go from a conventional 4.5 generation aircraft, to perfecting everything from RCS, RAM coatings, etc, SKIP over all of that, and somehow leapfrog engine development and enter some new realm of speed potential? If you plot the progression of every fighter aircraft in history, that is NOT how it works. Russia is 30 years behind the F-22 in many areas, and still lacking in avionics, RAM, and engines. Granted RR will have a great engine option for the Tempest, but everything else isn't going to be as easy as you think - and again, we aren't talking about an F-22 or SU-57, you're saying this is going to be FAR more advanced.

And yes I expect the RAF to use an aircraft they "have no control over" because they don't have the capability of editing the source code, and that's proprietary information of the US govt and Lockheed, which the RAF and everyone else agreed to when they bought the aircraft. It would be a complete cluster-f if everyone started modifying or stealing coding, and Lockheed would lose situational awareness of the aircraft programs and error correction / block update status fleet-wide, as well as support capabilities for each nation. I wouldn't expect RR to let a US company steal their lift fan system for the F-35 either. It's called the "joint" strike fighter for a reason. Also your comment on the RAF "NEEDING" an air superiority fighter is a joke. Last time I checked, you're a member of NATO right? If you're implying you'd get into a fight with the US military (which has a budget 15x greater) then uh... ok.

Also, saying the JSF is not an air superiority fighter is a bit unfair - it's technically labeled a multi-role combat aircraft, and was always intended to perform both strike and air superiority roles. This isn't Top Gun - in a real BVR conflict, zero adversary aircraft could touch an F-35, and I'd argue that it could hold it's own in WVR due to it's superior SA with the helmet mounted display / distributed aperture system and HOBS capability (maybe SU-35, 57 [when it gets real engines], and some other high AoA / snap-shot fighters - but by then the F-35 driver has really screwed up.)

The networking and SA capability of the JSF with other assets and other aircraft is the determining factor here, unless you've spent a lot of time researching it, I don't think you understand just how much of a total force multiplier it really is.

Anyways - to put things into perspective, the Tempest program today sits where the F-22 program did in 1986 - perhaps even earlier as in 86 Dem/Val and the two contractors had already been selected, AND funds were allocated, with significant design studies already complete for demonstration aircraft to begin construction.

We all know what happened in the preceding decades as they actually tried to develop and perfect the thing - program costs rose to $67 BILLION That's almost TWELVE Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers - of which they were BARELY able to complete two. So yes, I'm skeptical when you say you're not only going to meet, but leapfrog such technology in a fraction of the time, with a defense budget 15x smaller.

NONE of these programs ever go to plan - that's my point. The US "can afford" (that's debatable) absurd program and procurement costs like this - no one else has proven able to. Russia's attempt has become a joke, and they're targeting performance levels below that of the F-22 (RCS / kinematics / packaging.)

Ok you're clearly not an engineer so I'd refrain from proclaiming what can and can't be done. The Taranis was a fully integrated and tested stealth aircraft with fused sensor displays, which is Lockheeds own definition of a 5th gen fighter. Just because it wasn't mass produced doesn't mean the knowhow isn't there.
The fact it was cockpitless means very little as well, when a cockpit is just extra space affecting the aerodynamics and a simple/immaterial design adjustment in terms of know how. As for BAE being where Lockheed was in 1986, I don't think you understand how industry works. Most prior technology becomes obsolete every 10 or so years and whilst the F22 will have some stealth capabilities that still make it hard to detect, a huge number of aerospace companies could make a new aircraft right now (not just BAE) that would destroy the mostly analogue systems it uses.

Turkey are contracting BAE Systems to be their integration advisor on their own 5th gen fighter, Japan invited BAE, Boeing and Lockheed choose their integration partners for their own 6th gen fighter. Lockheed obviously have a demonstrated track record of developing stealth fighters which is probably why they were chosen in the end, but BAE wouldn't have been invited to make an offer if they were incapable of integrating a 6th gen aircraft. Also if S Korea, Japan, France, Germany etc see the need for a twin engine air superiority specific fighter, the UK clearly should too and ordering extra F35s would not be wise.

In any case, whilst integrating technologies into a platform is still a challenge, the most challenging thing is to actually create the ground breaking scientific breakthroughs that provide the basis of a platforms capability. The JSFs are unique in fighter aircraft terms - the reason integration is so complex for them is that the USAF wanted the same platform for 3 different variants and it's incredibly complex to use, for example, the f35B propulsion machinery in the same airframe as the f35A and C airframes. That's not as significant a challenge you will find for a defined, twin engine single variant air superiority fighter that the Tempest is going for. As for the source code issues, the UK was promised when joining the program (after demonstrating the replica technologies) that it would be free to upgrade the aircraft as it sees fit. All that it requires is access to parts of the source code that allow new weapons to be installed etc without any danger to anyone's IP. Lockheed and the US government though decided it would be easier to block everything altogether than bother to do any kind of favours regardless of how inconsequential they were. This was another key motivating factor to not putting all eggs in US programmes.

Costs do tend to escalate in terms of fighter development but in the UKs case on Eurofighter, that happened due to constant requirement creep and indecision on which company/country took what industrial share. It's the reason the UK is making sure it gets requirements locked down before it moves onto actually making a working prototype, with the concepting phase to 2025 separate from the project phase to ensure industrial workshares also don't delay/interrupt things. Digital technology and specifically the digital twin technology pioneered by SAAB and BAE means development costs are also being heavily cut compared to previous generations. Again, google it if you want to - design cycles are being cut from months to a few days. Also - speak to most combat air engineers and they'll tell you that the next gen fighters will be 90% software and systems, the shell/airframe will just be padding. Airframes have largely been perfected as far as they can in terms of stealth with little new to look into.

Overall defence budgets are mostly irrelevant here. If you have for example UK, Sweden, Italy contributing equally to a defined budget that they know is their target then they together will have enough money, cost contingencies allowed. The f35 was especially pricey because of it's requirement to cover so many different roles with fleets of protoypes to accomplish that, as mentioned before. I'm not saying that this fighter will have the same levels of capability as the PCA/F22 replacement because I'm not saying that, but it will certainly have new generation technologies that beat current aircraft by it's in service date of 2035, including the F35. It will also be a worthwhile project because it will provide that capability and most importantly, sovereign control over it's use.

In terms of high mac propulsion, REL and RR are doing tests at the moment to see what performance gains come from strapping REL's precooler to the front of a typhoon. Simulations show that >mac 3 is possible. If that's the case in practice then clearly that's very significant. If it can be done for a legacy engine then a new design could allow even greater speeds, hypersonic or not. Perhaps that's why the US let the UK into it's hypersonics research program.

GDB

Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:34 am

estorilm wrote:
DMJ13030 wrote:
estorilm wrote:

DMJ13030 wrote:

And your 'trouble' seems to be a serious lack of knowledge about which you have strong opinions about.
Keeping on harping on about a model, that was just another stand at a trade show and not the extensive work it represented.
Replica as a program was not declassified until 9 years after the program quietly started and after it had done it's job, which as it turned out got BAE on to the JSF as a significant partner, LM would not have done so has Replica shown that BAE had the wherewithal to manufacture JSF parts without compromising LO.

The almost amusing thing about your belittling about any technology that isn't from the US, is that now it's not even hard to get information on the programs DMJ13030 mentioned, with a quick search, not that you would have found anything on Replica prior to 2003, Taranis only being released at a late stage of development too.
These programs show a small part of the work a lot of scientists and engineers are doing, which is rather more than making full scale models.

As for LM, some of us can remember what a mess they made of the X-33 program, despite all the funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Replica

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Taranis

https://www.reactionengines.co.uk/

https://theaviationist.com/2021/01/18/n ... engineers/

art

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:12 am

Sunday Times expects F-35 procurement to be cut in favour of Tempest

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-repo ... 5-percent/

Sunday Times article is behind a paywall but details of the review should be made public 16th March.

If the UK does not proceed with procuring more than 48 x F-35 aircraft, what else can it do except proceed with Tempest? It does seem incredibly wasteful to have paid out hundreds of millions of pounds on infrastructure to support F-35 at land bases then to throw that investment away. Never mind - it's national security. That allows all sorts of planning and management horrors to take place, depleting the defence budget.

neutronstar73

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:59 pm

In the immortal words of every Star Wars character......in terms of the Tempest, "I've got a bad feeling about this".

I don't know why, but I get a "TSR2" feeling regarding this project, and the fact that they've decided to cut their F-35 buy means to me the UK will basically have empty carriers steaming around, unless they plan on a permanent US Marine F-35 fighter presence to make up their numbers.

art

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:10 am

neutronstar73 wrote:
In the immortal words of every Star Wars character......in terms of the Tempest, "I've got a bad feeling about this".

I don't know why, but I get a "TSR2" feeling regarding this project, and the fact that they've decided to cut their F-35 buy means to me the UK will basically have empty carriers steaming around, unless they plan on a permanent US Marine F-35 fighter presence to make up their numbers.

The TSR2 was a fantastic aircraft blighted by fantastic government interference, which made it far more expensive than it could have been. I cannot imagine that Tempest would be as badly managed. I wonder if the deep cut envisaged in F-35 procurement is linked to F-35 costing much more to operate than envisaged. Ironically the replacement for the unaffordable TSR2, F-111, which was expected to cost less than half the price, doubled in price and was itself cancelled.

What will Tempest become? I have no real idea but the UK can always order more F-35 if Tempest is not pursued. If more are needed for the carriers, I think the UK should buy however many more are needed

744SPX

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:07 am

art wrote:
Sunday Times expects F-35 procurement to be cut in favour of Tempest

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-repo ... 5-percent/

Sunday Times article is behind a paywall but details of the review should be made public 16th March.

If the UK does not proceed with procuring more than 48 x F-35 aircraft, what else can it do except proceed with Tempest? It does seem incredibly wasteful to have paid out hundreds of millions of pounds on infrastructure to support F-35 at land bases then to throw that investment away. Never mind - it's national security. That allows all sorts of planning and management horrors to take place, depleting the defence budget.

I for one think this is the right decision if it helps Tempest move forward. We need more variety in 5th (or 6th) generation aircraft, and that can only force Lockheed to improve the F-35. We don't need another innovation-squashing F-16.

GDB

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:12 am

Not bloody TSR-2 AGAIN!
WTF has a cancelled national program from over five and a half decades ago got to do with a program that is not wholly national, being technology demonstration led, it really was a very different era and as stated before, was, despite the legend, in severe financial, industrial and some technical trouble?

No doubt I'll get flamed for this but citing 'TSR-2' all the time, no matter how little bearing it was on Tempest, (none at all really), just shows little or no understanding of why it was developed and why it was cancelled.
I'll say it again, 50 TSR-2's (the RAF's actual requirement), or over 200 Tornado IDS (just for the RAF, not to mention the ones for export and the UK production of major components for all of them until production ending in 1998 - 25 years at most after the last TSR-2 would have left the line.

Again, it should have been axed sooner, before it flew, then apart from the money saved there would not be this absurd lost 'prince across the water' of post war UK military aviation.
Most people, including TSR-2 'fans', have never heard of numerous other cancelled projects, some potentially a viable design, others never viable. Why? Because no black and white film of the few flights the 1st one made nor two preserved of any of them. A very shallow way of considering the issue.
The real world is a bit more complicated than that.

The success of subsequent projects, multi national, Jaguar, Tornado, Typhoon, numerous guided weapons, was much better for the long term viability for the industry both in terms of production AND technology, than a few TSR-2s would have been, not to mention the expense.
What then? Since with TSR-2 none of the above would have happened, the huge costs would have sucked all the life out of anything else. Meaning a total reliance on US types most likely.
(And no Jaguar means no Adour engine, meaning no Hawk as built, which HAS been a huge success).

Multi national has been the way to go for decades now, the UK was an early adopter because of the yes bitter experience of TSR-2 and others, a hard lesson to be sure but the right one.
Including today, in the Tempest program.

Seems some are determined to dump on Tempest with little idea of what it is, how different to the whole TSR-2 saga, or even a clue of UK defence and technology base requirements.
Bottom line, after the 1957 Defence review which axed most manned combat aircraft (the real negative game changer for the industry), when the requirement for TSR-2 emerged a couple of years later, the RAF brass threw the kitchen sink (with gold plating), at the requirement. Being too pig headed to see that in a S.2 Buccaneer much of the requirement could be met by that type.
When forced to buy it, they loved it, probably regretting not being interested when they had the chance to put some of the avionics planned for TSR-2 into it (a test bed Buccaneer S.1 had tested that in part already).

This is so the opposite of what is happening with Tempest it might as well be in an alternate universe, have I mentioned also the total car crash of management, forced mergers, bitterness in the workforce at said mergers, which just added to the huge cost overruns of TSR-2 as well?
Again, how is this compared to what BAE and it's partners, not only in the UK (which the poster on here who always dumps on the UK seems to forget all of the time), are conducting this program?
Not remotely is the answer.

DMJ13030

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm

art wrote:
neutronstar73 wrote:

The TSR2 was a fantastic aircraft blighted by fantastic government interference, which made it far more expensive than it could have been. I cannot imagine that Tempest would be as badly managed. I wonder if the deep cut envisaged in F-35 procurement is linked to F-35 costing much more to operate than envisaged. Ironically the replacement for the unaffordable TSR2, F-111, which was expected to cost less than half the price, doubled in price and was itself cancelled.

What will Tempest become? I have no real idea but the UK can always order more F-35 if Tempest is not pursued. If more are needed for the carriers, I think the UK should buy however many more are needed

I think if you look at the estimated force mix for combat air going forward then the plan is to have one manned fighter supported by 2 or 3 UCAVs in the form of LANCA or something similar. I expect the thinking behind the cut in F35s is that you could have 24 deployed on QE2 with another 50 odd LANCA platforms for a more effective and cheaper Carrier contingent. Concept art would show the armed forces plan to attach LANCA to both Typhoons and F35s and I’ve read they expect a flying prototype in the next few years. In that type of combat structure 24 F35s might even constitute too many manned platforms for the carriers. We could see the 2 carriers with 12 F35s each complemented by unmanned systems or we could see one carrier of 12 with the other 12 or so available F35 platforms given to the RAF who have been very happy operating the B version as a versatile rapid deployment strike fighter.

estorilm

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:04 pm

GDB wrote:
Not bloody TSR-2 AGAIN!
WTF has a cancelled national program from over five and a half decades ago got to do with a program that is not wholly national, being technology demonstration led, it really was a very different era and as stated before, was, despite the legend, in severe financial, industrial and some technical trouble?

No doubt I'll get flamed for this but citing 'TSR-2' all the time, no matter how little bearing it was on Tempest, (none at all really), just shows little or no understanding of why it was developed and why it was cancelled.
I'll say it again, 50 TSR-2's (the RAF's actual requirement), or over 200 Tornado IDS (just for the RAF, not to mention the ones for export and the UK production of major components for all of them until production ending in 1998 - 25 years at most after the last TSR-2 would have left the line.

Again, it should have been axed sooner, before it flew, then apart from the money saved there would not be this absurd lost 'prince across the water' of post war UK military aviation.
Most people, including TSR-2 'fans', have never heard of numerous other cancelled projects, some potentially a viable design, others never viable. Why? Because no black and white film of the few flights the 1st one made nor two preserved of any of them. A very shallow way of considering the issue.

The success of subsequent projects, multi national, Jaguar, Tornado, Typhoon, numerous guided weapons, was much better for the long term viability for the industry both in terms of production AND technology, than a few TSR-2s would have been, not to mention the expense.
What then? Since with TSR-2 none of the above would have happened, the huge costs would have sucked all the life out of anything else. Meaning a total reliance on US types most likely.
(And no Jaguar means no Adour engine, meaning no Hawk as built, which HAS been a huge success).

Multi national has been the way to go for decades now, the UK was an early adopter because of the yes bitter experience of TSR-2 and others, a hard lesson to be sure but the right one.

Seems some are determined to dump on Tempest with little idea of what it is, how different to the whole TSR-2 saga, or even a clue of UK defence and technology base requirements.
Bottom line, after the 1957 Defence review which axed most manned combat aircraft (the real negative game changer for the industry), when the requirement for TSR-2 emerged a couple of years later, the RAF brass threw the kitchen sink (with gold plating), at the requirement. Being too pig headed to see that in a S.2 Buccaneer much of the requirement could be met by that type.
When forced to buy it, they loved it, probably regretting not being interested when they had the chance to put some of the avionics planned for TSR-2 into it (a test bed Buccaneer S.1 had tested that in part already).

This is so the opposite of what is happening with Tempest it might as well be in an alternate universe, have I mentioned also the total car crash of management, forced mergers, bitterness in the workforce at said mergers, which just added to the huge cost overruns of TSR-2 as well?
Again, how is this compared to what BAE and it's partners, not only in the UK (which the poster on here who always dumps on the UK seems to forget all of the time), are conducting this program?

All of the "native" aircraft you mention as a success story, have themselves been plagued by ridiculous development or performance issues as well - so in your closing statements of how we can say the Tempest will be different (as if that's not fair or something) well, for many reasons. First of all, no 5th gen fighter has ever been developed without ASTRONOMICAL cost over-runs and technological issues. Period. Including the company building the F-35, which (at the time) was the ONLY one to ever build a 5th gen previously and was able to leverage that experience. Now you're going to skip an entire generation, carrying over the drama of your 4th gen aircraft, and punch out the world's first 6th gen fighter with no problems?! :lol: :lol:

The difference is that the US can afford to be overambitious with programs that carry extreme financial risk - the UK and their defense budget cannot.

I know I sound like a broken record, but at the end of the day - what does the UK need this thing for which the F-35 can't already provide (a decade earlier?) I just see it as pure British arrogance at its best, but oh well.

I still give this about a 75% chance of blowing up in their face, but NOT before they dig a very deep hole and start to realize the integration and advanced systems issues and complications (aka after it's already become insanely expensive). Then politics pop up, sub-contractors start throwing fits, potential customers bail, and before you know it... it is indeed TSR-2 all over again.

art

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:34 pm

In an article in aviationweek.com Richard Aboulafia (who I know of as an airline/airliner guru) speculates that Germany could end up exiting the FCAS programme and joining the Tempest programme:

The most likely outcome is that Germany will leave the SCAF and join the Tempest; there will be one pan-European and one French design. Thus, Europe’s next fighters will follow the pattern set by the past two generations of combat aircraft (Eurofighter/Rafale, preceded by Tornado/Mirage 2000).

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... y-aircraft

Anyone think he will turn out to be right?

GDB

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:35 pm

estorilm wrote:
GDB wrote:
Not bloody TSR-2 AGAIN!

All of the "native" aircraft you mention as a success story, have themselves been plagued by ridiculous development or performance issues as well - so in your closing statements of how we can say the Tempest will be different (as if that's not fair or something) well, for many reasons. First of all, no 5th gen fighter has ever been developed without ASTRONOMICAL cost over-runs and technological issues. Period. Including the company building the F-35, which (at the time) was the ONLY one to ever build a 5th gen previously and was able to leverage that experience. Now you're going to skip an entire generation, carrying over the drama of your 4th gen aircraft, and punch out the world's first 6th gen fighter with no problems?! :lol: :lol:

The difference is that the US can afford to be overambitious with programs that carry extreme financial risk - the UK and their defense budget cannot.

I know I sound like a broken record, but at the end of the day - what does the UK need this thing for which the F-35 can't already provide (a decade earlier?) I just see it as pure British arrogance at its best, but oh well.

I still give this about a 75% chance of blowing up in their face, but NOT before they dig a very deep hole and start to realize the integration and advanced systems issues and complications (aka after it's already become insanely expensive). Then politics pop up, sub-contractors start throwing fits, potential customers bail, and before you know it... it is indeed TSR-2 all over again.

You really don't get it do you?
You also seem to think your perfect US contractors and DoD have never had delays, huge cost overruns, projects that went nowhere, sure no single European country can get near their levels of spending, hence multi national, which still does not get too near those levels but here's the thing, being multi national makes them damn harder to cancel. And can bring a range of skills, technologies.
Tornado was an industrial and operational success, (longest continually operationally deployed aircraft in RAF history), Typhoon weathered, just, the end of the Cold War and has racked up decent exports, they are not just given away free.

You also ignore another example of US power, FMS and raw political/diplomatic pressure, given these it's a near miracle any of these were sold outside of the nations who built them, or rather it spoke volumes about the qualities of the products, the ones you think were all rubbish and a waste of money.

I note you do not address the real issue, operational and technology reliance on the US, further up this thread I addressed some stark instances of agreements being broken, often on a whim of Congress.
See that's the difference in how I see this, with perspective, historical, (including ACA to Typhoon as well as the examples cited).

To me you sound a bit like that Boeing executive in the 1970's on Airbus, 'they'll probably sell about a dozen aircraft'.

GDB

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:51 pm

art wrote:
In an article in aviationweek.com Richard Aboulafia (who I know of as an airline/airliner guru) speculates that Germany could end up exiting the FCAS programme and joining the Tempest programme:

The most likely outcome is that Germany will leave the SCAF and join the Tempest; there will be one pan-European and one French design. Thus, Europe’s next fighters will follow the pattern set by the past two generations of combat aircraft (Eurofighter/Rafale, preceded by Tornado/Mirage 2000).

Maybe, look at what happened with one of his examples, for the FEFA, then EFA, then Typhoon, France demanded from this 5 nation FEFA program, a 39% share, their engine, their FCS and keep it small enough to operate off the then 35,000 ton carriers they had.
They might not have forgotten that in Germany, or worse for France, remembered how their industry benefited from Tornado and more to the point, Typhoon.

mxaxai

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:25 pm

GDB wrote:
art wrote:

Maybe, look at what happened with one of his examples, for the FEFA, then EFA, then Typhoon, France demanded from this 5 nation FEFA program, a 39% share, their engine, their FCS and keep it small enough to operate off the then 35,000 ton carriers they had.
They might not have forgotten that in Germany, or worse for France, remembered how their industry benefited from Tornado and more to the point, Typhoon.

The conditions for FCAS are very different from the early Eurofighter. In the current concept phase, all three member states have a clear understanding of the workshare divide. Germany is more than happy to give France more work if that means paying less. To a large part, things are different because they remember all the drawbacks of the Eurofighter (and A400M). Tempest offers nothing that couldn't be accomplished with FCAS.

DMJ13030

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:38 pm

mxaxai wrote:
GDB wrote:
art wrote:

The conditions for FCAS are very different from the early Eurofighter. In the current concept phase, all three member states have a clear understanding of the workshare divide. Germany is more than happy to give France more work if that means paying less. To a large part, things are different because they remember all the drawbacks of the Eurofighter (and A400M). Tempest offers nothing that couldn't be accomplished with FCAS.

The U.K. ( and Sweden/Saab via their digital simulation tech) has clearly outlined the technological breakthroughs already made that help to validate making a 6 gen aircraft though. We’ve heard nothing of this sort from SCAF which is beginning to sound more like a jobs program to placate industry than something that can provide standout capability. Then again history seems to teach us that Germany do tend to see this type of platform as a jobs program over all else.

mxaxai

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:21 am

DMJ13030 wrote:
The U.K. ( and Sweden/Saab via their digital simulation tech) has clearly outlined the technological breakthroughs already made that help to validate making a 6 gen aircraft though. We’ve heard nothing of this sort from SCAF which is beginning to sound more like a jobs program to placate industry than something that can provide standout capability. Then again history seems to teach us that Germany do tend to see this type of platform as a jobs program over all else.

I have seen nothing so far that would give either FCAS or Tempest a unique selling point, except FCAS' carrier capability for those who need it. I expect them to be as similar as Eurofighter and Rafale.

Hence, the primary reason for a country to chose one over the other becomes the allocated workshare and knowledge transfer. For the existing members it's more beneficial to stay with their programs. A new partner state or customer, like perhaps Poland or India, could negotiate with both programs to see where they get a better deal.

art

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:22 am

mxaxai wrote:
A new partner state or customer, like perhaps Poland or India, could negotiate with both programs to see where they get a better deal.

I don't think India is in the market, given their commitment to developing their 5G AMCA (advanced medium combat aircraft).

Tempest may be a long way ahead of that but India only has one company capable of building fast jets (government-owned HAL). HAL has been very late/extremely late/unbelievably late in executing its Tejas production contracts and might prove to be a real pain to work with. Same with the Indian government where procurement is concerned.

It is interesting that you see Poland as a possibility. I wonder what knowhow they could contribute.

DMJ13030

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:44 pm

mxaxai wrote:
DMJ13030 wrote:

I have seen nothing so far that would give either FCAS or Tempest a unique selling point, except FCAS' carrier capability for those who need it. I expect them to be as similar as Eurofighter and Rafale.

Hence, the primary reason for a country to chose one over the other becomes the allocated workshare and knowledge transfer. For the existing members it's more beneficial to stay with their programs. A new partner state or customer, like perhaps Poland or India, could negotiate with both programs to see where they get a better deal.

The Leonardo radar, Reaction engines tech, Rolls Royce capability, BAE virtual and haptic cockpit tech and Saab digital simulation tech suggest to me that the Tempest is technologically quite far ahead of SCAF at the moment. Obviously there’s a long way to go until these systems (as many like to call them) enter service, but I think it’s quite clear and the tempest team are enjoying boasting about it to the media.

If the Japanese collaboration follows through then that would be even bigger for Tempest. Remember the Japanese produced the worlds first AESA radar on a minuscule r&d budget. The Japanese electronics industry is world leading and with the Jaguar research plus research on digital beam forming that’s going on right now between the U.K. and Japan (google it), I’d be willing to bet that (assuming it completes) both the Tempest and F3 will be as good as anything from the US or China come 2035 in the avionics arena.

Software will be the hardest challenge both for Tempest and SCAF though, as this will be a huge capability driver for 6th gen aircraft and even joint multinational software industries will struggle to match the output of the Chinese or US on that front.

744SPX

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Reaction engines tech? I hadn't heard that. Mach 5 capability would definitely be a unique selling point.