Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

art

Re: Tempest Fighter Jet Programme News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:25 pm

RJMAZ wrote:
art wrote:
What would you like UK (and France) to do?

Work together to build complimentary products not competing products. Splitting up a small market with competing products means everyone loses. Duplication of research and development costs and economy of scales reduces.

Agree entirely.

I think that one of the problems is that the military will not compromise on their requirements. Typhoon/Rafale, for example. Had a single design been produced using the same funds, a better aircraft would have been produced. Had a similar aircraft to both Typhoon/Rafale been designed, cost would have been lower for one aircraft rather than two.

RJMAZ wrote:
With any aviation project Europe simply has to add Boeing or Lockheed as a 25% partner and then have a separate US assembly line. The US will then buy the product no problems. Boeing or Lockheed will then provide input to sculpt the product into something the US will buy. Boeing and Lockheed will then campaign for it to be purchased like the F-15X for example.

The USAF has a demand for a Gripen sized fighter. Lots of European countries have demand for such an aircraft as either their primary fighter or a secondary fighter.

Also it can go the other way. The new US helicooter programs Europe could add SAAB, BAE or Dassault as a partner and give them a European assembly line.

Yup. Do this intelligently and the tax payer (he/she who pays for all military equipment) is a winner.

art

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:41 am

UK Forces TV looking at Tempest man/machine task responsibility configuration research...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx-Rey3bA-M&t=838s

A speculative look at Tempest from a somewhat quirky presenter. Includes RR video...

Jump to 2m0s to avoid video intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCf1ir6KHdU&t=52s

tommy1808

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:28 am

RJMAZ wrote:
Irt wrote:
Since the mockup of the FCAS was over 18m in length i doubt your claim of 90kn.. more likley they will be in the 120-140kn range. The Tempest mockup i havet not seen any figures for. Only a 1:48 modell plane, wich said it was 18.12m in length so its also likley will have engines in the 120-150kn range.

You are way off. The European designs just like the F-35 are trading thrust to weight ratio for significant fuel fraction. Range is much more important than being able to accelerate vertical at an air show. The SR-71 could cruise at Mach 3 with less than half of the thrust to weight ratio of the F-35. High thrust isn't needed to fly fast.

Part of being designed for supercruise means they are longer and skinnier with a high mach angle. A 18m long fuselage will result in similar volume and weights to the F-35.

The FCAS prototype is using small M88 engines. You can't grow a 75kn M88 sized engine up to 140kn thrust. It will hit 90kn at that size.

The M88 was designed to scale up to 105kN with the same core in the late 80s. The only reason it isn´t running 90kN for a long time is customers rather used margins to make the engine cheaper to operate.

Google for v002t02a004-90-gt-118.pdf (can´t be directly linked as it wants a token), Page 3

6 stage High Pressure (HP) compressor with three variable stator stages including a variable inlet guide vane, for better flow adaptation at any rotating speed. The number of stages are chosen for good surge margin and growth potential within the SNECMA M88 family, whose thrust range is 75 up to 105 kN with the same core engine;

And there has been 30+ years of material science since.

best regards
Thomas

BestIntellect

Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:01 pm

art wrote:

Yup. Do this intelligently and the tax payer (he/she who pays for all military equipment) is a winner.

When it comes to military procurement the tax payer loses no matter what, unless your whole goal is to set the country as backwards as you possibly can (in all fairness, that is the goal of most politicians).

art

Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:03 pm

art

Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:41 pm

UK and Japan engine development agreement announced by UK MOD:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-a ... monstrator

Sounds like Japan and the UK are moving towards co-operation in their 6G fighter projects. UK has already stated that for the Tempest project to get the go ahead, partners would be needed. IIRC Japan foresaw their F-X programme costing in the region of $50 billion. Perhaps the costs involved are forcing both countries to look for a cheaper way to get a 6G fighter developed?

RJMAZ

Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:18 am

Excellent news! This is what I have been hoping for and posting about for years. Putting pride aside and joining together to get things done.

Now we just need to go another step further and merge the USAF 6th gen and Tempest together. Both are so similar. At that point Australia would definitely join. Australia only purchased 72 of the original 100 F-35's to keep their option open. I am certain in 10 years time the RAAF would have ordered a few dozen 6th gen fighters and the F-35A would move to a high/medium combat mix.

Hopefully more future projects merge such as airlifters, trainers and ships. The way to secure these long term agreements between elected governments is for country A to invest a small percentage in country B's project and country B to invest in country A's project. They can then solesource the equipment.

DMJ13030

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:01 pm

RJMAZ wrote:
Excellent news! This is what I have been hoping for and posting about for years. Putting pride aside and joining together to get things done.

Now we just need to go another step further and merge the USAF 6th gen and Tempest together. Both are so similar. At that point Australia would definitely join. Australia only purchased 72 of the original 100 F-35's to keep their option open. I am certain in 10 years time the RAAF would have ordered a few dozen 6th gen fighters and the F-35A would move to a high/medium combat mix.

Hopefully more future projects merge such as airlifters, trainers and ships. The way to secure these long term agreements between elected governments is for country A to invest a small percentage in country B's project and country B to invest in country A's project. They can then solesource the equipment.

You won't see the UK or Japan get involved with NGAD for a number of reasons. A prime driver for the Tempest is the military + Industrial loss of sovereignty on the F35 along with the need to protect the UKs large military aerospace industry. The US is likely to demand even more control in the NGAD if they were to even let third countries have any voice/workshare at all. I think this is a good balance as is, Australia could still potentially join the NGAD or Tempest and I think the balance is good for both programmes at the moment. The difficulty with Tempest (and FCAS more so due to the French intransigence) is placating international governmental demands for workshare/capability ownership and it's more about owning IP/capability now than pure manufacturing workshare.

Airlifters may be different as the UK doesn't have any current capability to protect in terms of large aircraft design and manufacture.

DMJ13030

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:14 pm

RJMAZ wrote:

You won't see the UK or Japan get involved with NGAD for a number of reasons. A prime driver for the Tempest is the military + Industrial loss of sovereignty on the F35 along with the need to protect the UKs large military aerospace industry. The US is likely to demand even more control in the NGAD if they were to even let third countries have any voice/workshare at all. I think this is a good balance as is, Australia could still potentially join the NGAD or Tempest (or FX for that matter) and I think the balance is good for both programmes at the moment. The difficulty with Tempest (and FCAS more so due to the French intransigence) is placating international governmental demands for workshare/capability ownership and it's more about owning IP/capability now than pure manufacturing workshare.

Airlifters may be different as the UK doesn't have any current capability to protect in terms of large aircraft design and manufacture.[/quote]

art

Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:18 pm

RJMAZ wrote:

Any chance of Australia getting involved in Japan's F-X or Tempest? I have no idea what Australia could offer. If not involvement, might Oz be interested in buying F-3 or Tempest?

RJMAZ wrote:

Makes an awful lot of sense to me.

GDB

Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:09 pm

art wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

Any chance of Australia getting involved in Japan's F-X or Tempest? I have no idea what Australia could offer. If not involvement, might Oz be interested in buying F-3 or Tempest?

RJMAZ wrote:

Doubt it, they will stick with F-35 and further develop their already impressive Loyal Wingman project with Boeing Australia.
Similar to what is planned for Tempest.

Japan however I can see bringing their F/X experience to Tempest, they flew a technology demonstrator a few years back but recent suggestions of industrial involvement from them could see them as a partner/customer.
They did not seek to make F/X the basis for an operational aircraft, they are a big F-35 customer but also have the same defence/strategic industrial aims as Tempest partners but like them won’t go it alone.

art

Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:32 am

GDB wrote:
art wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

RJMAZ wrote:

Doubt it, they will stick with F-35 and further develop their already impressive Loyal Wingman project with Boeing Australia.

Japan however I can see bringing their F/X experience to Tempest, they flew a technology demonstrator a few years back but recent suggestions of industrial involvement from them could see them as a partner/customer.
They did not seek to make F/X the basis for an operational aircraft, they are a big F-35 customer but also have the same defence/strategic industrial aims as Tempest partners but like them won’t go it alone.

I see Team Tempest forking out a lot of money to design something very similar to what Boeing Australia has already designed. Why not do a deal with Boeing Australia - at least for the Loyal Wingman airframe? Tempest is a very costly exercise and it is better to devise economic uses of funds than to end up with everything being inhouse and so costly that a decision is made by the UK government not to advance the project to production.

GDB

Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:22 am

art wrote:
GDB wrote:
art wrote:

I see Team Tempest forking out a lot of money to design something very similar to what Boeing Australia has already designed. Why not do a deal with Boeing Australia - at least for the Loyal Wingman airframe? Tempest is a very costly exercise and it is better to devise economic uses of funds than to end up with everything being inhouse and so costly that a decision is made by the UK government not to advance the project to production.

I would guess that Tempest will want something closer to the planned aircraft for integration and more advanced.

art

Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:53 am

GDB wrote:
art wrote:

I would guess that Tempest will want something closer to the planned aircraft for integration and more advanced.

Sure but that brings us back to the eternal procurement problem - the military wanting a system that meets their desired requirement at a price that the government is not prepared to pay. Result being a lot of knowhow is acquired but not transferred into an end result.

GDB

Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:45 am

art wrote:
GDB wrote:
art wrote:

Sure but that brings us back to the eternal procurement problem - the military wanting a system that meets their desired requirement at a price that the government is not prepared to pay. Result being a lot of knowhow is acquired but not transferred into an end result.

The intention is create both manned and unmanned platforms around a common core, bringing in a system not part of that and though based in Australia, the Loyal Wingman is part of Boeing, which would undermine the desire to retain within the Tempest partners the retention and development of high end defence/aerospace skills.
I suspect SAAB would be the part of Tempest most involved with an unmanned component, while Japan might bring its F/X experience to the manned part.
If they don’t we are still looking at a tri national effort, UK, Italy and Sweden, all with substantial aerospace industries they want to retain core capabilities for.

art

Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:08 am

During the British PM’s visit to India last week, New Delhi and London agreed to strengthen defense and security cooperation. Reports from India suggest that UK is keen on Indian involvement in Tempest.

“Tempting Tempest” – Will India Accept UK’s Invitation To Join Its Sixth-Gen Tempest Fighter Jet Program?
https://eurasiantimes.com/will-india-ac ... n-program/

Is India ready to join the sixth-generation Tempest Future Combat Air System programme?
https://www.financialexpress.com/defenc ... e/2504182/

Specific roles that could be allocated to India...
http://idrw.org/uk-offers-india-a-signi ... ore-282037

BaconButty

Tue May 17, 2022 3:48 pm

Looks like Tempest and the Japanese F3 programme will come together.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/air- ... he-uk/None

Japan, the UK, Italy and Sweden, interesting.

RJMAZ

Wed May 18, 2022 2:58 am

It is about time we see all of these aircraft programs begin to merge.

Tempest has gone from a 5% chance of entering service to a 50% chance of entering service in my opinion.

Sweden joining makes sense as they need something to keep their industry running after Gripen. Italy likewise has industry involved in Eurofighter production and they will need something to move onto after 2030.

Italy having an assembly line for the F-35 I would have expected them to keep purchasing more F-35 and maybe assemble some for future European customers.

c933103

Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 pm

https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/589560
Japanese media reports on collaborating with UK's BAE in developing FX instead of the originally planned US's Lockheed Martin.
Summary:
- US is now developing next generation aircraft with the like of NGAD and Royal Wingman, which have great gap in term of both technologies and timing with Japan's FX program which would be of the level of fifth generation fighter
- US MoD and Lockheed Martin might not feel any merits in developing a next generation manned fighter with Japan based on existing aircraft
- For main equipment of fighter like radar or electronic warfare system, US want to adopt US component from the very early phase of development, however Japan want to ensure flexibility in modification and ability to expand and adopt next generation technologies during and after development, especially with past experience with F2 and F15
- On the other hand, Tempest have same schedule as Japan's FX program, targeting deployment by 2035.
- And both Japan and UK are oceanic countries, needing long range, and need 2 engine to carry heavy missiles, that the currently available F35 cannot satisfy
- Japan MoD think that with UK, it will be possible to form partnership on equal ground, especially with past experience of British help offered during development of F2.
- Joint development between UK and Japan can increase production quantity, reduce the cost, and hopefully each countries can export to different markets.
-

keesje

Thu May 19, 2022 7:36 pm

BaconButty wrote:

It seems each country is well financed and value for the development program. With Saab in to prevent it becoming E250mln Albatrosses.

keesje

Thu May 19, 2022 7:37 pm

BaconButty wrote:

It seems each country is well financed and value for the development program. With Saab in to prevent it becoming E250mln Albatrosses.

I think the Japanese haven't forgotten the F22 situation.

art

Mon May 30, 2022 7:30 am

keesje wrote:
BaconButty wrote:

I think the Japanese haven't forgotten the F22 situation.

How do you see SAAB's involvement containing costs/price, if I may ask? If this was a SAAB project I would expect it to be efficient with lower cost but it's not a SAAB project.

I wonder how many frames the participating countries would order if Tempest resulted in development of a production aircraft.

art

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:20 am

Thoughts on Tempest, courtesy of Jon Lake

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... take-shape

art

Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:40 am

Sixth-gen Radar Slated for Tempest Fighter Program

Leonardo has unveiled details of an unprecedented partnership with Japan on combat jet sensor technology for the UK-led Tempest sixth-generation fighter program. The company is working with Mitsubishi Electric (Melco) in a program they have dubbed JAGUAR (Japan and Great Britain Universal RF system).

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... er-program

I wonder if Tempest and the Mitsubishi F3 will end up with a common radar (or at least very similar).

art

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:59 pm

References to FVL programme edited out of interview...

Talking to the media on July 19, 2022, during the “Tende Scaglia” special operations exercise, held at Grazzanise Air Base, Italy, the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, General Luca Goretti, highlighted the importance of two projects for the future of the service: the FVL (Future Vertical Lift), for the rotary wing component, and the Tempest/FCAS (Future Combat Air System), for the fixed wing component.

UK, Italy and Sweden have signed a trilateral Future Combat Air System Cooperation Memorandum of Understanding on Dec. 21, 2020, which covers the cooperation for research, development and joint concepting of the FCAS, but discussions about the possible participation of Japan in the program are currently underway.

Italy and the UK would replace the current Eurofighter fleets with the Tempest, Sweden seems to be more interested in the system as a whole rather than the “core platform” (considered the investments and effort put on the Gripen E), while Japan is assessing the overlapping requirements and capabilities of the Tempest and the indigenous F-X programme for a 6th generation stealth aircraft to replace the JASDF (Japan Air Self-Defense Force) Mitsubishi F-2 by the mid–2030s.

Dealing with the Tempest/FCAS, Goretti considers the program strategic to the Italian Air Force: “We are investing ahead of other countries, and the response we are having, the international consensus, including that of the United Kingdom and Japan, is proof of this. It means that the country is investing with foresight and attention, looking at the development of assets for the future.”

“We are fully in the program, as a level partner together with the British and the Japanese. The presence of Tokyo, among other things, can certainly bring further added value. Japan, among other things, is a very attentive global player, and if it has decided to invest in it, it means that it certainly considers it an important program. We have been there since the beginning, together with London, and this is also a reason of satisfaction and pride for us”.

Goretti also gave his point of view about the possible future convergence between the Tempest/FCAS and the French, German and Spanish FCAS programs. “The convergence between the two programmes will certainly happen,” the Italian Air Force Chief of Staff commented. “I don’t know when but, in my opinion, we won’t be able to spend significant budgets on a similar product in the future. Therefore, I’m confident that while initially proceeding along a parallel path, technology and wisdom will eventually lead the two projects to merge. Again, I don’t know when, but I’m absolutely confident about this.”

https://theaviationist.com/2022/08/01/t ... riorities/

Is General Goretti right in seeing UK, Italy and Japan combining to design a 6G fighter and cost considerations pushing the two competing European 6G programmes into cooperation on some elements of the projects? Given the current problems that France and Germany are having in negotiating work shares in the FCAS project, I am sceptical about the Tempest and FCAS teams being able to work together.

bikerthai

Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:21 pm

The latest Perun video gets to the heart of the challenge the Europeans will be facing. Hopefully there will be enough orders to make the project viable.

If it is true that the USAF is looking at small batches of the NGAD fighter, then the European project may have a better shot!

bt

art

Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:07 am

Japan is seeking to improve its technology base before a potential deal is signed at the end of 2022 to merge the F-X and Tempest sixth-generation fighter programmes.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/air- ... uk-on-fcas

Makes eminently good sense to merge the programmes IMO. Why throw $X billion into 2 teams developing similar systems if 2 teams working on the same system can do it for a lot less. Additionally economies of scale in production accrue from a joint project with larger production runs.

LHAM

Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:44 am

Apparently Sweden has paused its participation in the Tempest program.

Speaking to Jane's Saab's President and CEO Michael Johansson said on August 26 that the country is in “a hibernation period” on the multinational project.

Sweden's participation in the UK-led Future Combat Air System (FCAS) is effectively on hiatus, with Saab's President and CEO Micael Johansson saying on 26 August that the country is in “a hibernation period” on the multinational project.

Speaking to Janes and other defense media at the company's Stockholm headquarters, Johansson said that the initial promise of the project had not so far materialized, and that Saab and Sweden were taking a back seat while they consider their own future requirements at the same time as the other FCAS partners map out the future direction of the program.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/air-platforms/latest/swedish-fcas-involvement-in-hibernation-says-saab-ceo

LightningZ71

Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:24 pm

Everyone likes the new shiny plane, until they get a really good handle on the price tag of getting it to do what they want it to do...

zululima

Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:53 am

I think it was more of a situation where Japan had joined with their significant monetary and tech contributions and suddenly Sweden went from junior partner to being unnecessary. It feels like UK and Japan are more aligned in their plans for what Tempest should ultimately be; the latest renderings show the Japanese influence, looking more like the FX concept. The end result will be something Sweden historically has never wanted/been able to afford. I don't see Sweden buying a top-tier air superiority fighter when they are better served with a larger quantity of less expensive air defense types. The F-35 would be plenty capable for any role they realistically need until Russia can build a proper 5th gen, which won't be any decade soon. I'm surprised they aren't staying on as a supplier, but if Tempest is anything like FCAS, there may not be enough workshare to go around at the budget level they intend to contribute. Personally, I would rather see Saab develop a cheap low-observable point defense/strike fighter to replace all of these F-16s at a compelling price point.

art

Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:51 am

zululima wrote:
I think it was more of a situation where Japan had joined with their significant monetary and tech contributions and suddenly Sweden went from junior partner to being unnecessary. It feels like UK and Japan are more aligned in their plans for what Tempest should ultimately be; the latest renderings show the Japanese influence, looking more like the FX concept. The end result will be something Sweden historically has never wanted/been able to afford. I don't see Sweden buying a top-tier air superiority fighter when they are better served with a larger quantity of less expensive air defense types. The F-35 would be plenty capable for any role they realistically need until Russia can build a proper 5th gen, which won't be any decade soon. I'm surprised they aren't staying on as a supplier, but if Tempest is anything like FCAS, there may not be enough workshare to go around at the budget level they intend to contribute. Personally, I would rather see Saab develop a cheap low-observable point defense/strike fighter to replace all of these F-16s at a compelling price point.

It would be interesting to know what Sweden has been doing with regards to Tempest. I mean in the sense of what areas of research have been assigned to Sweden. If Sweden is not involved in some way with Tempest, what are the prospects of Sweden remaining in the fighter business?

Perhaps there would be a large market for a low cost, low observability, light interceptor/strike aircraft. Where would the Swedish aircraft industry find the funds for its development? The Swedish government has committed to operating Gripen E for decades to come. Would they be prepared to partly fund development of such an aircraft (conditional on a foreign partner sharing development costs) as a strategic decision to maintain a foothold in fighter design post Gripen E?

RJMAZ

Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:55 am

LightningZ71 wrote:
Everyone likes the new shiny plane, until they get a really good handle on the price tag of getting it to do what they want it to do...

I actually think the whole Tempest program is in hibernation. This would be very good news.

US open to collaboration between Tempest fighter jet and NGAD, DoD official says

https://www.aero-mag.com/ngad-tempest-f ... t-05082022

I could see UK, Japan and Australia all getting the USAF 6th gen NGAD fighter. They would no doubt have been told the specifications of the prototype that has already flown. The USAF 6th gen program is expected to be in service by 2030. The Tempest was closer to 2040.

People will think workshare would be an issue in such a high tech and sensitive USAF program but I think it's an easy problem that has probably already been solved. Japan, UK and Australia could get offset with increased F-35 workshare. Japan already has an F-35 production line so they could assemble and maintain F-35 aircraft for current and future operators in the region. The UK could become a MRO hub for European F-35 operators.

zululima wrote:
Personally, I would rather see Saab develop a cheap low-observable point defense/strike fighter to replace all of these F-16s at a compelling price point.

I agree, I have put a lot of thought on this and it is definitely what the market wants. Apologies for going off topic.

My idea was to produce something similar to the Boeing Loyal Wingman that is assembled in Australia. Fairly stealthy but with a small cockpit added at the front like a Hawk 200. A single small afterburning turbofan like the Honeywell/ITEC F125 should give moderate supersonic Mach 1.4 performance. Two AMRAAM missiles carried internally with a pair of underwing pylons for non-stealth missions. So the size is two thirds of an F-35 or roughly the size of the hawk 200. The weight and thrust would also be similar to an F-5.

The same aircraft can be sold without a cockpit as a high end loyal wingman. So high end air forces can buy the drone version but low end air forces will buy the manned light fighter version.

Lockheed would rather sell F-35 and Boeing would want to offer a fighter version of the T-7.

Saab makes a logical manufacturer as an aircraft after Gripen. The Gripen was significantly smaller than the previous Saab fighters but newer tech made up for the smaller size. This can be repeated with an aircraft three quarter of the size of the Gripen.

Dassault could also make such an aircraft as France has the Alpha Jet and Mirage 2000 that need replacement soon and they have tech from Dassault nEUROn to make the drone loyal wingman version. The unmanned loyal wingman version could fly with manned Rafale aircraft. Being fairly small they could make a carrier version to do drone strike missions.

France has easy export requirements so the manned fighter version would sell to all the countries using old Russian equipment.

art

Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:30 am

RJMAZ wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:

I actually think the whole Tempest program is in hibernation. This would be very good news.

US open to collaboration between Tempest fighter jet and NGAD, DoD official says

I could see UK, Japan and Australia all getting the USAF 6th gen NGAD fighter. They would no doubt have been told the specifications of the prototype that has already flown. The USAF 6th gen program is expected to be in service by 2030. The Tempest was closer to 2040.

People will think workshare would be an issue in such a high tech and sensitive USAF program but I think it's an easy problem that has probably already been solved. Japan, UK and Australia could get offset with increased F-35 workshare. Japan already has an F-35 production line so they could assemble and maintain F-35 aircraft for current and future operators in the region. The UK could become a MRO hub for European F-35 operators.

The way I read it is that you propose the Tempest and F-3 participants should scrap Tempest and F-3 and buy NGAD with no workshare in NGAD. That would leave UK, Italy and Japan with design know how limited to <5G.

GDB

Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:13 am

art wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:

The way I read it is that you propose the Tempest and F-3 participants should scrap Tempest and F-3 and buy NGAD with no workshare in NGAD. That would leave UK, Italy and Japan with design know how limited to <5G.

You mean the much repeated opinion that only the US should do this sort of thing, ever, heard it before, historically a bad idea, that states with long established aerospace and defence sectors should just go away and subordinate it totally to the US (who have shown in recent years one of its major parties go down the Facism route and their guru an open supporter of Putin and now proven traitor). Yes, let’s do that shall we?
Been over it a dozen times on this thread, yawn.
From to be frank a source of other sometimes bizarre ideas, that often seem to be the military aviation version of Elon Musk’s Hyperloop in terms of credibility.

Occam’s Razor, Japan coming aboard has shifted things, my own view that the likely future for SAAB if it carried on would be more in the Loyal Wingman area, oddly enough I have thought this really since SAAB came on board.
Since some of us can actually remember when the Gripen was being designed, first flew etc, in the 80’s and 90’s that at the time, even then, most thought that this would be the last in house design by them.

Something else has happened recently that might not have a direct effect on this, though indirectly it must, Sweden has joined NATO, this is the biggest change in their defence policy since the Cold War not ended, but started!
So everything will be under review, it’s inevitable and sensible, across the board, land, sea, air, cyber etc.
I cannot believe anyone has not considered this, since it’s more likely the most significant in terms of what Sweden does here.

Some, well one, can pray for their own reasons that states with major aerospace sectors just shut up, go away and do what HE thinks, however if Sweden does pull out and Japan is coming in, is that an overall loss or potential enhancement to the program? Pretty obvious isn’t it, I say that as a great admirer of SAAB too.
Remember too, Japan’s needs likely match more, they had their fingers burnt following the RMAJZ formula with the F-22, they also feel that promises on tech transfer on the F-2 were broken. That might not be fair but it is their perception.

They have already flown for a couple of years a technology demonstrator, they did not do that for nothing and that data will likely be factored into Tempest.

RJMAZ

Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:36 am

art wrote:

It would take over 10 years of intense research and development for Japan and the UK to produce what is flying in the NGAD prototype today. Japan and the UK haven't even developed their own 5th gen fighter or a stealth aircraft in general. They would be skipping an entire generation of fighter aircraft.

By the time the UK and Japan have a 6th gen fighter entering service the war where it was needed may have come and gone. They are simply buying the tip of their spear from the US.

Japan and the UK could make many parts for NGAD but no assembly line, stealth materials, engine or source codes. 5th gen fighter technology is more than sufficient to push the boundaries of UK and Japanese scientists. A stealth and supersonic loyal wingman drone for example would push the boundaries of both countries. It could use a single engine that was planned for Tempest it could use all the technology that Japan and the UK wanted to use. Japan also has the AAM-4 missile. They could always make advanced weapons to fit NGAD.

Tempest was probably going to result in a low volume production aircraft that cost $300 million each and would probably still get shot down by networked F-35. I don't see how anyone could support this.

art

Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:54 am

RJMAZ wrote:

When I read your thoughts again, I am really taken aback.

Do you really think that European countries and Japan that have put billions of $$$ into R&D for post 4G programs and anticipate putting tens of billions of $$$ into 6G design and possibly hundreds of billions of $$$ into 6G manufacture would stop their 6G R&D, write off sunk expenditure, scrap plans for production of 6G designs - and instead choose licence production and MRO of F-35?

GDB

Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:15 am

art wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

When I read your thoughts again, I am really taken aback.

Do you really think that European countries and Japan that have put billions of $$$ into R&D for post 4G programs and anticipate putting tens of billions of $$$ into 6G design and possibly hundreds of billions of $$$ into 6G manufacture would stop their 6G R&D, write off sunk expenditure, scrap plans for production of 6G designs - and instead choose licence production and MRO of F-35?

If you seem to think only the US can or should do them and the rest should just shut up and enjoy scrapping a vital piece of their aerospace and advanced technology sector, then it does seem so, doesn’t it?
As I said this has been thrashed out in this thread multiple times.

RJMAZ

Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:42 pm

art wrote:

Or the third option that I propose. Put billions of dollars into a 5G technology level program and have a product being manufactured and in service before 2030. The scientists are busy but more importantly the manufacturing sector is also busy.

Having intellectuals researching 6G tech for 10+ years will kill your aerospace manufacturing sector.

What do you think China would choose?
A) Spend 10 years researching 6G technology
B) Buy a USAF 6G fighter and learn 6G technology in 1 year.

Only a very stubborn person would select option A. They want to learn everything for themselves for personal pride. It does not matter how costly or inefficient it is.

GDB wrote:
If you seem to think only the US can or should do them and the rest should just shut up and enjoy scrapping a vital piece of their aerospace and advanced technology sector, then it does seem so, doesn’t it?

They aren't scrapping anything. No one suggested that.

Last time I checked the USAF wasn't made up of only high tech F-22 and B-2 bombers. The car manufacturing sector wouldn't survive if they concentrated on making million dollar supercars. The bulk of the aerospace sector are lower technology solutions.

LightningZ71

Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 pm

In my opinion, there will be three distinct 6g platforms: high end manned, fully autonomous unmanned, and loyal wingman semi autonomous platforms. The manned platform and fully autonomous platforms will be drastically more expensive than the loyal wingman semi autonomous platforms, but all will be needed and all will incorporate similar technologies. It makes sense in my head that some countries will have no choice but to go in together for the two most expensive platforms and a few will be able to afford their own loyal wingmen.

Trying to go it alone would be cripplingly expensive for anyone but the US, China, or a large group of EU or asian countries. Aside from the various Chinese efforts, the f-22 and 35 plus various drones, and the su-57, does anyone have anything even remotely 5G? South Korea's new fighter is still 4++g TODAY as it still can't do internal weapons storage. Its arguable that Russia had yet to really demonstrate that the SU-57 has the sensor suite to match its shape. Japan has a demonstrator. How are any other countries going to make the multi generational leap within a decade and also afford to take it to production? Heck, the only countries that have suitable engines are the US, the UK with RR, france with snecma and possibly China with the late model WS series. No other engines are in serial production. Getting the metalurgy right for a suitable engine alone is a many billion dollar project over many years itself.

I don't want to poop on other countries' efforts, but I don't think everyone truly appreciates the scale here.

744SPX

Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:08 am

LightningZ71 wrote:
In my opinion, there will be three distinct 6g platforms: high end manned, fully autonomous unmanned, and loyal wingman semi autonomous platforms. The manned platform and fully autonomous platforms will be drastically more expensive than the loyal wingman semi autonomous platforms, but all will be needed and all will incorporate similar technologies. It makes sense in my head that some countries will have no choice but to go in together for the two most expensive platforms and a few will be able to afford their own loyal wingmen.

Trying to go it alone would be cripplingly expensive for anyone but the US, China, or a large group of EU or asian countries. Aside from the various Chinese efforts, the f-22 and 35 plus various drones, and the su-57, does anyone have anything even remotely 5G? South Korea's new fighter is still 4++g TODAY as it still can't do internal weapons storage. Its arguable that Russia had yet to really demonstrate that the SU-57 has the sensor suite to match its shape. Japan has a demonstrator. How are any other countries going to make the multi generational leap within a decade and also afford to take it to production? Heck, the only countries that have suitable engines are the US, the UK with RR, france with snecma and possibly China with the late model WS series. No other engines are in serial production. Getting the metalurgy right for a suitable engine alone is a many billion dollar project over many years itself.

I don't want to poop on other countries' efforts, but I don't think everyone truly appreciates the scale here.

Russia is a non-issue as they simply can't afford the SU-57 in significant enough numbers to make a difference. China has the money but they are still 20 years behind the US in gas turbine technology. I'll begin to take their 5G abilities more seriously when they get the WS-15 in regular production, which seems to be stuck in the same development hell as the Izdeliye 30 for the SU-57 is...

giblets

Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:49 am

Making me laugh that people assume that UK/ Japan would be unable to produce anything 6G or input to one. People tend to forget that BAe systems helped the US with production of their 5G fighters as LM could not meet their own manufacturing tolerances, they took a visit to Bae where Typhoon manufacturing could meet the tolerances (they even took account of the effect of the local sea tide on ground level).
UK works beyond just building the rear fuselage on the F35 and ejection seats!

art

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:26 am

LightningZ71 wrote:

Tempest started as a UK project. UK government said it would not fund taking a 6G design to full development without a further partner or partners joining. In terms of funding, current partners UK and Italy have a combined GDP of $US 5.44 trillion. If Japan merges its F-X project into Tempest, the combined GDP rises to $US 10.35 trillion. That may persuade the UK government to back the project.

An outside possibility is that Germany exits FCAS due to excessive demands by France and switches to Tempest or Tempest/F-X, adding the backing of its $US 4.26 trillion GDP economy to the project. Should Germany leave FCAS, Spain may leave, too, and join Tempest. Spanish GDP: $US 1.43 trillion

GDP figures are IMF 2022 projections: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... P_(nominal)

bikerthai

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 am

LHAM wrote:
Apparently Sweden has paused its participation in the Tempest program.

Speaking to Jane's Saab's President and CEO Michael Johansson said on August 26 that the country is in “a hibernation period” on the multinational project.

Since Saab is partner with Boeing on the T-7, it is not a stretch to see it partner with Boeing on NGAD. After all, NGAD and T-7 uses the same digital manufacturing process and Sweden will soon be a NATO member.

bt

art

Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:05 pm

Sorry, link in my post above above has a problem. If I key in as address

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

I go to the right page.

BaconButty

Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:13 pm

Japan, UK to arrange jointly to develop fighter jet's fuselage
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220904_07/

No surprise, but engines, radar and now fuselage. It’s pretty much a single program now.

On a side note, I think @RJMAZ is missing the point a little regarding international cooperation. The UK has cooled on the F35, and will probably top out the fleet at 70 odd, enough for 3 frontline squadrons, a credible air wing for one of the carriers. It’s not the industrial workshare, we did ok out of that, it’s the lack of sovereignty over weapons integration. It’s either been tardy or, in the case of asraam not happening at all. There’s no way the UK is partnering with the US again.

Japan, Italy and the UK should make for a good partnership. There’s enough aerospace experience, the figures for budget allocations through 2035 look adequate.

GDB

Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:21 pm

BaconButty wrote:

No surprise, but engines, radar and now fuselage. It’s pretty much a single program now.

On a side note, I think @RJMAZ is missing the point a little regarding international cooperation. The UK has cooled on the F35, and will probably top out the fleet at 70 odd, enough for 3 frontline squadrons, a credible air wing for one of the carriers. It’s not the industrial workshare, we did ok out of that, it’s the lack of sovereignty over weapons integration. It’s either been tardy or, in the case of asraam not happening at all. There’s no way the UK is partnering with the US again.

Japan, Italy and the UK should make for a good partnership. There’s enough aerospace experience, the figures for budget allocations through 2035 look adequate.

There certainly has been delays at putting SPEAR on the aircraft, and slow software package updates, how much of that is LM is unclear, not having the software will delay adding new systems clearly.
While delayed on Typhoon too but it has Storm Shadow and Brimstone, getting Meteor.
Clearly if you don't have full access, it's not fully 'your' aircraft.
I thought ASRAAM was on UK F-35's, what about AMRAAM?

From 2017;
https://www.mbda-systems.com/press-rele ... as-asraam/

And last year, the date for F-35 might have slipped since, down to LM tardy updates?
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/asraam- ... n-by-2024/

BaconButty

Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:09 pm

GDB wrote:
BaconButty wrote:

There certainly has been delays at putting SPEAR on the aircraft, and slow software package updates, how much of that is LM is unclear, not having the software will delay adding new systems clearly.
While delayed on Typhoon too but it has Storm Shadow and Brimstone, getting Meteor.

From 2017;

And last year, the date for F-35 might have slipped since, down to LM tardy updates?

My apologies, it’s Brimstone not Asraam. I knew one of our core weapons want making it onto the F35, got it mangled which one.

GDB

Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:29 pm

BaconButty wrote:
GDB wrote:
BaconButty wrote:

From 2017;

My apologies, it’s Brimstone not Asraam. I knew one of our core weapons want making it onto the F35, got it mangled which one.

Ah right, an aircraft I would like to see Brimstone on are Ukrainian SU-25's.

LHAM

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:37 am

Any info about if and when the F-35s will be getting the ability to carry and launch the Meteor missile?

art

Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:42 am

LHAM wrote:
Any info about if and when the F-35s will be getting the ability to carry and launch the Meteor missile?

“Meteor was assigned a place in the Followon Development Programme by the F-35 Joint Programme Office and contracts were awarded to Lockheed Martin in the early summer. However, entry into service is not anticipated to be until 2027 and there is a possibility that integration pressures in the programme may incur further delays because of challenges in the wider F-35 programme.”
- UK MOD

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -plan-2021

Want to be in control of what your air force's aircraft can do in terms of which weapons will be integrated? And which company will integrate them, when and what it will cost? Then don't buy a type where you do not have the necessary source codes and freedom to integrate whatever you want.