Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ozair

Re: USAF Considering New Build F-15X

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 am

SuperiorPilotMe wrote:
Continuing my thoughts from the inventory thread, and I’ve even alluded to such at least in this thread, and I know and understand this is mostly being floated for NG but I strongly think there’s a missed opportunity to send EXs to frontline squadrons and pass and reroll their Mud Hens into “homeland defense” instead. EXs aren’t a perfect solution to the “bomber gap” readiness issue but unless someone can show me a way to magically pop out B-21s super-fast and cheap it might be the best interim solution out there.

Throwing money at Bones to hope they stay in the air is *NOT* it.

I have said so in the past and agree this isn't necessarily a bad idea.

One thing that might be an issue with that plan is it brings two squadrons down for conversion instead of just the ANG units. The EX has the F110 and therefore the maintenance units also have to undergo that conversion but that would not be necessary for the ANG units as existing F100 users. It also doesn't really increase the overall capability of active USAF units. The mud hens are already getting the AESA radar and EPAWSS so the aircraft is capable enough.

The ANG aren't going to do A2G training anytime soon so if and when the USAF wants those units to go through an A2G certification they will be there waiting with a capable aircraft.

bikerthai

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:13 am

Having listened to the fighter pod cast, I can understand why they don't want the Mud Hen for the fighter/intercepter role.

The F-15 pilots on the show specifically stated that the F-15E is not as good as the C in terms of dog fighting/intercept.

So the EX will be a misile truck and not a bomb truck and all the ancillary equipment will be geared to that effect - improving dog fighting capability.

A couple of interesting stories in the podcast on the line of Eagles during Dessert Storm, the dogfight between an eagle and a SH and how a combination of F-15s and F-22 gives your opponent more to think about that just one or the other.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

Ozair

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:55 am

bikerthai wrote:
Having listened to the fighter pod cast, I can understand why they don't want the Mud Hen for the fighter/intercepter role.

The F-15 pilots on the show specifically stated that the F-15E is not as good as the C in terms of dog fighting/intercept.

I thought the statement was it was better if you slicked the E similar to a C as the E was strengthened to handle G better but the E, with the conformals and TGT pod etc, had sufficient weight and drag to impede performance.

The USAF active and the ANG units have almost never flown with the CFTs, the statement generally being the additional weight impeded performance. They have done some recent testing on this as per this drive article, https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/1 ... fuel-tanks but I’m not aware if they rolled this out to the whole fleet.

bikerthai wrote:
So the EX will be a misile truck and not a bomb truck and all the ancillary equipment will be geared to that effect - improving dog fighting capability.

They are buying the stock model, not an A2A focused beast, essentially the same variant as the SA but with additional USAF only systems such as EPAWSS. We don’t even know what pylons they are ordering for the aircraft or whether they will keep the same pylons from the existing fleet.

bikerthai wrote:
A couple of interesting stories in the podcast on the line of Eagles during Dessert Storm, the dogfight between an eagle and a SH and how a combination of F-15s and F-22 gives your opponent more to think about that just one or the other.

Until the USAF flies an exclusive 5th gen fleet it will be that way for years to come. The Afterburn podcast interview with an F-35 pilot, episode Two I believe, emphasized this where he stated how the F-35 cadre take it as a point of pride to facilitate 4th gen access to areas they couldn’t go without 5th gen assistance.

bikerthai

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Ozair wrote:
I thought the statement was it was better if you slicked the E similar to a C as the E was strengthened to handle G better but the E, with the conformals and TGT pod etc, had sufficient weight and drag to impede performance.

Yes I understood about the additional drag and mass of the conformal tanks and targeting pod. But wasn't there something about the electronics and other system difference that make one better than the other as a dog fighter?

They did mention that the C was more finiky to fly. Mayby with the FX, the can use software to ease that burden. Wonder if they will put a safety ceiling on what the pilot can do or will they let them fly balls out and hit 14Gs if situation arise?

bt

SuperiorPilotMe

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Ozair wrote:
I have said so in the past and agree this isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Oh yeah definitely, at this point I’m just repeating myself for emphasis.

You did highlight a problem I didn’t notice before and that is, if EXs are going to be manufactured for frontline use, where to put them? In existing Mud Hen squadrons? F-16 squadrons not due to get F-35s in a while? Stand up new squadrons? Either way I don’t think the “no conversion necessary” ANG model is going to work for attack squadrons.

One thing’s for certain, I highly doubt they’ll reroll Bone drivers into Mud Hen X’s. That actually makes a modicum of sense, especially if there’s any crews still standing around from recently retired birds, but I can also easily imagine what kind of community riot that can cause.
Stop the stupids!- Claus Kellerman

744SPX

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:42 pm

The E is already 3700 lbs heavier than the C and the EX will undoubtedly add some more weight. I can totally see the C being better in a dogfight even with the -220's vs the F110. Not much of an issue for a missile truck, however.

Ozair

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 pm

bikerthai wrote:

Yes I understood about the additional drag and mass of the conformal tanks and targeting pod.

The latest fighter pilot podcast looked at the F-15E and there was some very interesting comments made by two guests who, being posted to the T&E squadron, have clear insight.

The first was that the E always flies with the CFTs and its role is A2G and without the CFTs the jet has minimal stores locations. It also always flies with the SNIPER and LANTIRN pods. That typifies how the USAF sees the aircraft and while the guests spoke about how the aircraft does do A2A it is not the primary mission but a subset. In turn they emphasized that the F-15C community only do A2A and therefore no surprise that is one of the reasons they have such a high proficiency at it.

The other interesting comment was that although the F-15E CFTs adds a significant amount of fuel to the aircraft it was actually more draggy that an F-15C flying with two EFTs. Neither aircraft likes to fly with the centreline EFT which apparently is a lot more draggy than the wing mounted EFT. The specific comment was that on a long distance flight the F-15C with two wing tanks had more fuel remaining at the end of the flight than an F-15E with CFTs and no wing tanks. (of course doesn't stop the F-15E from adding the wing tanks as well but both jets can host CFTs).

If we compared the configs an F-15C with full internal fuel, 13455 lbs, and two wing tanks, 4000 lbs each, has a fuel load of approx. 21,500 lbs. The F-15E has the same internal fuel load but the CFTs add approx. 10,000 lbs or fuel for a total of 23,500 lbs. So 2,000 lbs more fuel but in an arrangement that weighs and creates enough drag that the airframe is less aerodynamic than an F-15C with two wing tanks. The statement was also made that the E, with its standard config of CFTs and pods, cannot perform A2A the way a C can (again should be no surprise).

So my suggestion is… the F-15EX in ANG service will not fly with CFTs or SNIPER/LANTIRN pods and therefore achieve higher performance than both C and E aircraft in USAF service. They will have the CFTs available for use, perhaps enough per squadron to do long distance transits, but that will not be a regular feature of the aircraft. Additionally, with the expanded wing stations the aircraft will fly with a standard load of 12 AAMs, two on each outer wing station, two on the inner stations with two EFTs and four on the hips.

Essentially more likely in this config, (but image the aircraft has no CFTs)

Than this config,

It would be interesting to know how much additional weight/drag is added by the outer wing stations (with oylon and two AAMs) compared to the weight/drag of the CFTs (and the additional weapons stations the CFTs may provide) and whether the outer stations may not be used in favour of CFT installation or vice versa.

bikerthai

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm

Haven't had a chance to hear the last episode yet. But the two configurations are pretty complementary. With conformal fuel tank as opposed to wing tanks, you can run it as a missile truck with Max missile load. This would be situation when you are pairing if with F-22/F-35 formations. For day to day intercept, fly them clean, just like the way them fighter pilots like it.

bt

744SPX

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:48 am

bikerthai wrote:
Haven't had a chance to hear the last episode yet. But the two configurations are pretty complementary. With conformal fuel tank as opposed to wing tanks, you can run it as a missile truck with Max missile load. This would be situation when you are pairing if with F-22/F-35 formations. For day to day intercept, fly them clean, just like the way them fighter pilots like it.

bt

Yes, ideally for AD/intercept you should not necessarily need any external tanks at all. Just AAM's and the performance should be impressive. 6-8 AMRAAM + 2-4 AIM-9X + full internal fuel even with the E's rather heavy empty weight would result in a T.O. weight of just under 50,000 lbs and with 59,000 lbs thrust from the F110's you have a thrust to weight ratio well over 1-1 already at takeoff and 1.5-1 + at IP. Add in the nice low wing loading and it would give a good account of itself in the Air to Air arena. Only thing better would be including the lighter, more aerodynamic (and better looking) A/C single seat canopy config, but as we've discussed, probably won't happen.

At least with the GE engines it gets the turkey feathers back after more than 40 years without them. Those cut drag too and look far better IMO. It's how the F-15 was always supposed to be (and was for a few years).
That being said, IAF has kept the Turkey feathers on their Pratt powered F-15's. Hat's off to them.

bikerthai

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Just had a chance to listen to the last podcast. That air to air kill using a GBU bomb was worth sticking around till the end.

I would never have believed it if they wrote it into a Hollywood script.

bt

bikerthai

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:42 pm

The F-15QA, precursor to the EX, flew for the first time.

https://www.janes.com/article/95484/mai ... ari-f-15qa

At first I thought they were sporting some new camo scheme. At closer look, it was just varying primer colors. :lol:

bt

Ozair

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:52 pm

The USAF is going to push through the GE contract for the F110 despite the direction to open up the contract to alternate vendors. I expect this allows them to start initial build and the testing phase and that later engines could be taken from either vendor depending on the submissions.

GE awarded F-15EX engine contract ahead of potential competition

The USAF had always intended to sole-source GE for production of the F-15EX engine claiming that, with the F110-GE-129 already certified for installation, any competition could add up to three-years to the programme. However, following a protest from rival provider Pratt & Whitney, the service issued a sources sought notification on 15 May in which it asked for bids to build up 461 engines to power 144 aircraft (plus spares). Responses to that request were due to have been submitted in early June, with any request for proposals to follow after. Should the USAF decide it does require a second supplier, these alternate engines could potentially be introduced from Lot 2 onwards.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... ompetition

texl1649

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 am

Very interesting. I’d have to guess the first USAF frame would need to be produced in the next 4-8 months, and then mated to it’s engines within 3 months. Pratt/UT’s efforts may really be a complete waste of money/time.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Apologies if this has been answered - I tried reading through this entire thread but sort of gave up after page 5 as it was turning out to be a wrestling match between the F22 and the F15 camps.

What are the 2 camera looking devices externally mounted on either side of the cockpit, just aft of the front pilot? It is visible at 00:05 in the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpeVdlDkKVQ

Ozair

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:26 pm

889091 wrote:
Apologies if this has been answered - I tried reading through this entire thread but sort of gave up after page 5 as it was turning out to be a wrestling match between the F22 and the F15 camps.

What are the 2 camera looking devices externally mounted on either side of the cockpit, just aft of the front pilot? It is visible at 00:05 in the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpeVdlDkKVQ

Looks like a MAWS, a Missile Approach Warning System. The purpose as in the name being to warn the aircrew of incoming missiles. Most previous generation MAWS were UV but current systems have mostly moved to IR.

EDIT: The Saudi F-15SA has them as well,

This article from The War Zone https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... 15qa-eagle also mentions it and you can also see the rear sensors aft of the engines and below the RF antennas,

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 pm

cheers Ozair

bikerthai

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Contract for the first batch awarded.

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... -aircraft/

Delivery slated for second quarter 2021.

And it's a two seater.

The photo in the article shows the frame well on it's way. Do the red shrouds at the exhausts hint that the engines are already mounted?

bt

Ozair

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:58 pm

bikerthai wrote:
Contract for the first batch awarded.

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... -aircraft/

Delivery slated for second quarter 2021.

And it's a two seater.

The photo in the article shows the frame well on it's way. Do the red shrouds at the exhausts hint that the engines are already mounted?

bt

Long time between the first two and the subsequent six...

The first eight F-15EX aircraft will be fielded at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, to support testing efforts. The delivery of the first two aircraft is scheduled for the second quarter of FY21. The remaining six aircraft are scheduled to deliver in FY23. The Air Force is using the Strategic Basing Process to determine the fielding locations for subsequent aircraft lots.

That was obviously as per the original stipulation that then USAF only acquire two initial airframes until Boeing and the USAF provided the required documents to Congress. Qatar examples to continue coming off the line between now and then.

texl1649

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:22 pm

Sometimes aircraft get ‘uglier’ as they age with more protrusions etc., but I have to say the latest Eagles are the prettiest, imho.

Ozair

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:10 am

texl1649 wrote:
Sometimes aircraft get ‘uglier’ as they age with more protrusions etc., but I have to say the latest Eagles are the prettiest, imho.

I'm not a fan of the MAWS protrusions to the rear of the cockpit as asked by 889091 a couple of weeks ago but agree generally the Eagle is looking better than it ever has.

SuperiorPilotMe

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 am

texl1649 wrote:

That's an unavoidable consequence of trying to maximize airframe growth potential. It's impressive the protrusions were kept to a minimum on the teen series since those fighters weren't exactly designed for growth potential in mind to begin with, unlike more current generation aircraft (hence the open airframe space on the T-7 for example). In fact for the most part it's been kept to components that need a sensor hanging out regardless.

JayinKitsap

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:47 am

Air Force Magazine on the recent order.

https://www.airforcemag.com/air-force-n ... 0-f-15exs/

SuperiorPilotMe

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Going back to my previous post, actually I'm disappointed that they have to tack on an IRST sensor onto a pod onto a hardpoint instead of incorporating it into the airframe, especially since that's a hardpoint for a weapon or another pod.. Japan's F-15Js already do this.

texl1649

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:15 pm

Interesting updates;

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/07/boe ... ry-series/

WASHINGTON: Boeing is in discussions with the Air Force about how the F-15EX might serve as a test bed for the Advanced Battle Management System (ABMS), the service’s key contribution to underpin all-domain operations. The company also believes the new F-15 may become a future node in the system. On top of that, Boeing thinks it could serve as an “enabler” for the emerging Digital Century Series.

Boeing was awarded a 10-year indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity (ID/IQ) contract Monday for the F-15EX with a ceiling of almost $22.9 billion. It also include 15 years of performance support.

While the Air Force has yet to determine the ultimate size of the buy, the minimum number of aircraft under the contract is 144 and the maximum is 200 — with a flyaway unit cost estimate of $87.7 million, an Air Force spokesman said in an email yesterday to clarify the terms.

“Given its open mission system architecture and the computing infrastructure on the jet, it can easily be a node in the ABMS architecture, and that’s something we are exploring with Air Force,” Boeing Vice President and F-15 program manager Prat Kumar told reporters today. “It can integrate with the cloud and it can be a node at the edge of the battlespace. So it’s a pretty interesting platform to be integrated in the ABMS concept.”

bikerthai

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:14 pm

This is what we call a block point change. When a new program starts, there is an opportunity to more cost effectively incorporate new tech as opposed to trying to squeeze it on to a full up production program.

If this concept proves out, I would not be surprised if it gets incorporated into the F-35, at some future block point.

What Boeing is pitching encompass their digital design and manufacturing process which makes incorporating changes faster and less expensive.

Cross your fingers on that.

bt

bikerthai

Re: USAF F-15EX News and Discussion Thread

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:58 pm

Forget A-SAT. This is why the Airforce really wanted the F-15X.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... f-15-eagle

:scratchchin:

bt

texl1649

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Wow, this is an interesting capability/supplement, and unique for the Eagle frame vs. the F-22/F-35. I have to wonder if this ability would also appeal to the Israeli’s and Japanese, Koreans, and Saudis. It seems like the lift capacity of the QA/EX/SA will provide some interesting options in the future, though that article is clearly just about a preliminary study (incredible to me is a variant is already approved for export?).

Now, if a future ‘loyal wingman’ air launched platform could also connect/refuel from something like an MQ-25A, then it would really be something interesting.

Also sort of a chuckle that from the front it looks like the F-15 is supporting a mini F-16. LOL.

Ozair

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:00 pm

In line with bringing the F-15EX into service the USAFR is looking at the future enhancement of the F-15 fleet. This obviously also includes then F-15E which was scheduled to remain in service until at lest 2040 anyway.

Not details beyond the six categories as the info is reportedly classified.

USAF to map future Eagle capability upgrades

The US Air Force (USAF) has issued a request for information (RFI) to chart a course for future capability upgrades to its fleet of Boeing F-15 Eagle-series combat aircraft.

“The F-15 Division, in collaboration with Air Combat Command, hosted a warfighter (operator and maintainer) workshop to identify and prioritise current and future capability gaps. The workshop resulted in the creation of a single, prioritised list of gaps that generically fell into six categories,” the service said.

These six categories comprised: Prosecute – the ability to engage and eliminate targets; Survive – the ability to live through engagements with enemy systems; Persist – the ability to extend operations in the required environments; Interoperability – the ability to effectively communicate with other weapon systems; Maintain – the ability to sustain the F-15E/EX fleets; Train – the ability to support operator and maintainer training.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... y-upgrades

Slug71

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:46 am

I hope we get these at the 173FW.

Ozair

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:38 am

P&W are going to get an opportunity to bid on the F-15EX after initial Lot 1 which will be GE F110s. A significant quantity is up for grabs and looks like it will be winner take all for lots 2 to 8.

USAF to compete F-15EX engine production

The US Air Force (USAF) is to open up to competition its requirement for engines for the Boeing F-15EX Advanced Eagle combat aircraft. A presolicitation notification posted on the beta.sam.gov government procurement website on 3 September said that a request for proposals (RFP) for up to 461 engines to cover Lots 2 to 8 of aircraft production will be issued in November. Deliveries would begin in June 2023.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... production

texl1649

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:27 am

Interesting analysis;

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articl ... 77191.html

It’s wrong to say that the F-15EX is the first stage of the DCS. Stephen Trimble argues that while the F-15EX program uses many of the same tools that the Digital Century Series envisions, including advanced computer modeling and a modular platform, it is not part of the DCS per se. Trimble also discusses some differences in the handling of intellectual property between the two systems, as Boeing retains substantial rights over the F-15EX while the DCS system envisions full ownership of the relevant IP by the Air Force.

But this does not mean that the F-15EX experience will not serve as a useful test for the DCS process. Boeing has noted that the F-15EX will include a set of design features that will enable rapid upgrades, and also access to the Air Force’s new battle management system, a key part of DCS thinking. Roper himself has touted the connections between the F-15EX and the DCS, notwithstanding the evident architectural gaps.

Not least important, the F-15EX ensures that Boeing will remain a player in the fighter business. Part of Roper’s objective in pursuing the DCS has been to limit and possibly reverse the industry consolidation that occurred in the military aerospace sector from the 1990s on. Some DCS advocates have even suggested the nationalization of certain aspects of the military aerospace industry, which would resemble in some ways the Soviet system of separate state-owned design bureaus and production facilities. This seems perhaps a step too far, given the history of the US defense industrial base and existing U.S. political realities. But the ability of Boeing to use digital tools to design and produce the F-15EX necessarily makes it a player in the next stage of the Air Force’s project development.

bikerthai

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:24 pm

While not ideal, Boeing has something that neither LM nor the Defense department has, a major commercial aircraft manufacturing arm from which it can aquire advances in manufacturing technology at greater intervals and scale.

The digital century for Boeing began with the 777 over 30 years ago.

bt

Slug71

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:53 pm

Slug71 wrote:
I hope we get these at the 173FW.

Apparently I was a little behind, but we are indeed getting the F-15EX at the 173rd in 2022.