tomaheath
Topic Author

Best B-52 spotting locations in the US.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:11 pm

I’ve seen the B-52 on display at museums and airshows but never in flight. Is there a particular base in the US that is a reliable place to view one? How about the B-1 and B-2 as well? Thanks for any info.

checksixx

Re: Best B-52 spotting locations in the US.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Best places to see them is near the bases that fly them. Google is your friend.

usair1489

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:05 pm

They're not based there but Nellis AFB during a Red Flag would be best.
Zinger Aviation Delta Oscar Tango Charlie Oscar Mike

superbizzy73

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:45 pm

By far the best places to see the B-52 would be Barksdale AFB in Louisiana and Minot AFB in North Dakota, the only two bases where they're stationed. For the B-1, Dyess AFB in Texas and Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota are the places to go. And, Whiteman AFB in Missouri is your go-to for the B-2. I understand they fly all over the globe, but these are their home bases, and definitely your best chance to see them.

tomaheath
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:09 pm

superbizzy73 wrote:
By far the best places to see the B-52 would be Barksdale AFB in Louisiana and Minot AFB in North Dakota, the only two bases where they're stationed. For the B-1, Dyess AFB in Texas and Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota are the places to go. And, Whiteman AFB in Missouri is your go-to for the B-2. I understand they fly all over the globe, but these are their home bases, and definitely your best chance to see them.

Just the answer I was looking for. Thank you. To your Knowledge Are any of these bases spotter friendly?

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 pm

They’re all pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but unlikely to get on base without either a military friend or PR office invite with press credentials. Ellsworth is near Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills.

GF

Runway28L

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Even before the weekend of an airshow, you could go 1-2 days prior to the show and catch one arriving for static display.

Based on personal experience... any facility hosting a major airshow and has a lot of ramp space (mainly airwings), chances of a B-52 showing up are pretty high. The B-1 however is much more rare, and the B-2 even more so.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

superbizzy73

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 pm

I was stationed at Minot, and you could see them coming from miles away. The base is actually about 13 miles north of town. The town itself is in a river valley area, but the base is definitely up on the flatlands.

angad84

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:11 am

Wait for BALTOPS/Saber Strike, go to Fairford, click till your cards are full, bask in the afterglow.

In that order.

jupiter2

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:05 am

I went to Barksdale AFB a few years ago and had a great time getting B-52's. There are plenty of places on the approach to RWY 15 to get shots and a park at the southern end outside the base where I got climbing and taxi shots. There are quite a few base personnel/families who live in that area who gave me quizzical looks, but I was quite open with what I was doing. It came as no surprise though that I eventually got a visit from the local police, but even then, they were very friendly and we had a good chat. We had to wait for base security to show as they had been called as well, that ended up with a solid hour of friendly conversation, discussing my trip, Australia where I'm from, admiring the photos I had, etc. The only thing that they suggested was that to calm the suspicious locals if I could relocate, which I did to the northern end and got another 5 aircraft landing or doing circuits for a couple of hours.

As we all should do when taking photos, be open about it, you may get looks, but if you try and hide what your doing, you naturally look suspicious. If challenged, again be open about what your doing, if you're not in a restricted zone of some description, then you should have every right to be there. But if asked to move on, do as asked, you maybe disappointed about it, but better that than aggravating a situation and getting yourself and perhaps future spotters into trouble. Always carry valid, preferably government issued ID and if a law enforcement officer asks to see it, don't argue the point, just hand it over and be friendly. The way you act could well effect the way future encounters with spotters and law enforcement transpire.

bunumuring

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Hey guys,
Watching in disbelief as a B-52 roared in from over the Blue Mountains at low level was definitely THE flying highlight of the Australian Bicentennial Air Show at RAAF Richmond base in 1988... Still my all time favourite air show!
What a sight! What noise! What power!
Cheers
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!