Tugger
Topic Author

InSight Mars Lander to arrive 27 November

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 pm

This is a momentous day for the NASA Mars InSight Probe program! Just over 2 hours to go until it touches down on the Red Planet.

"Seven minutes of terror" and all.
After a nearly seven-month deep-space journey covering more than 300 million miles (483 million kilometers), NASA's InSight lander is set to touch down on Mars today (Nov. 26) just before 3 p.m. EST (2000 GMT). You can watch the action live here at Space.com courtesy of NASA, beginning at 2 p.m. EST (1900 GMT).

Can be viewed here:
https://www.space.com/17933-nasa-televi ... ce-tv.html

And read about here:
https://www.space.com/42531-insight-mar ... today.html

Good luck to the InSight probe and the whole team!

Tugg
Last edited by qf789 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title for clarity
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

zanl188

Re: InSight Mars Lander to arrive today!

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Good Luck Insight!
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Tugger
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Touch down confirmed!
Still a lot more to go to know InSight is healthy etc. but a big congratulations to the entire InSight program team!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

GDB

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Whew! That livestream was nerve wracking.
Never easy, that 4th rock from the Sun but as I left the stream all seemed nominal, even a first pic, albeit with a dust cover on initially.

zanl188

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Next milestone is opening of the solar arrays. Relay spacecraft are out of position now and we won't have confirmation of array deploy for several hours.

Dutchy

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Looking good, can't wait till the data comes in. Big plus for the team whom build it. Seems like Mars is quite difficult to get to, lot's of missions failed. Those them Martians :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dutchy

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Looking good, can't wait till the data comes in. Big plus for the team whom build it. Seems like Mars is quite difficult to get to, lot's of missions failed. Those them Martians :lol:

18 out of 43 missions were successfull.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

zanl188

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 am

Solar arrays have deployed and Insight is power positive...

parapente

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:15 pm

I must say NASA s really nailing these landings.Full credit to them.It Seems on the surface to be a very complex method but it certainly works (every time it seems).So they should be highly optimistic for the next veichle lander which is up next on the list.
As above it's had the all important solar deployment ( the battery was not designed to last long) so all the major landing hurdles complete I think.No doubt the will take their time slowly bringing all the various instruments to life.
Look forward to the next year's activity/results.

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm

A nice picture from Mars!

Tugg

Okie

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm

I am still working on the "7 MINUTES OF TERROR"
I was unaware that a machine had feelings that those evil engineers and scientist caused this poor device to endure.
I was expecting a go fund me page any second.

Good job by the way on successful landing.

Okie

zanl188

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Imagine being the project engineer or program manager. Multi hundred million or billion dollar mission where everything has to go exactly right during the 7 minute re-entry. Nothing they can do to effect the outcome, and they cant test the entire vehicle. I’d say that very nearly qualifies as terror...

GDB

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Okie wrote:
I am still working on the "7 MINUTES OF TERROR"
I was unaware that a machine had feelings that those evil engineers and scientist caused this poor device to endure.
I was expecting a go fund me page any second.

Good job by the way on successful landing.

Okie

Well I have always read that to mean 'terror' for the team behind a mission, as in professional 'terror', all those years of work and for all their efforts, they can do nothing to influence events now.
Plus of course a nagging fear for many of them, if it goes wrong was it their fault? An oversight maybe many months or years before.
I doubt the double failures of 1999 have been forgotten either.

Due to different mission requirements, boosters available at the time and yes budgets, each generation of NASA missions to land on Mars have used different systems, so it's new each time.
Airbags tested on Pathfinder and used on Spirit and Opportunity, that crazy seeming Skycrane for Curiosity and Insight using a system more like the Vikings - but they were 42 years ago!

Viking is the first one I remember, can still recall the fascination at seeing those images for the first time.
So once a lander is down, for me at least that first image, regardless of quality, takers me back to 1976.

trpmb6

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:06 pm

By my count this makes NASA 9/10 for landers/rovers (9/11 if you want to count the secondary mission of the Mars Polar Lander - Deep Space 2 which was released by MPL during descent but was never functional.) Pretty good track record.

Also, I didn't realize how close Insight was going to be to Curiosity.

Maybe before they shut down curiosity they should send it towards Insight and see if they can take a picture of each other, or do a group selfie or something.

Edit: Ok nevermind that was a really dumb idea. Curiosity has only traveled 13 miles since landing. It would be nearly impossible to get to Insight who is over 350 miles away.

Oh well.

wingman

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 pm

My son is doing a Mars "rover" presentation in two weeks (I don't remember doing stuff like this in 1st grade??) so I'm learning a lot as I help him. The distance pointed out by trpmb6 was one of the more surprising factoids, just 12.5 miles roved in 6 years. I bet Musk will shatter that record when he gets there.

Did you guys see the solar panel unfurling taken by the lander? Super cool:
http://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1067258215501447168

zanl188

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 am

wingman wrote:

Nice animation, not taken by the lander though.

wingman

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:42 am

They got me hook, line and sinker. Shoulda wondered a bit harder about that camera movement I guess.

DarkKnight5

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:52 am

zanl188 wrote:
wingman wrote:

Nice animation, not taken by the lander though.

All I’ve taken from this thread is proof that Mars is a flat rectangle and that NASA lies and passes off animated gifs as proof of their “spaceship” landing on “Mars.”

Seriously though, what a cool mission and accomplishment. I wonder when we’ll start turning our attention to landing on the other rocks out there.

USNFalconCraft

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Tugger wrote:
A nice picture from Mars!

Tugg

That's really cool! I hope we see more and more of Mars in the near future....Well the future is here already.

parapente

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 pm

This craft should be able to do some great geological work.After that we have yet another powerful rover being built for the next rendezvous point.But you know ( just me thinking aloud).There is a point of diminishing returns with robots.On top of all the incredible craft on the ground there is a fleet of sat's covering just about every aspect of remote sensing.
Time for boots on the ground methinks.

GDB

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 pm

mxaxai

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 pm

parapente wrote:
This craft should be able to do some great geological work.After that we have yet another powerful rover being built for the next rendezvous point.But you know ( just me thinking aloud).There is a point of diminishing returns with robots.On top of all the incredible craft on the ground there is a fleet of sat's covering just about every aspect of remote sensing.
Time for boots on the ground methinks.

What kind of exploration or experiment are you thinking of that only humans could do, not robots?

wingman

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:04 am

GDB wrote:

That is truly amazing, and also a bit creepy or scary..I can't quite put my finger on it.