qf789
Topic Author

A400M Update Thread 2019

Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:38 am

Welcome to the A400m Update Thread for 2019. Please add your comments below.

Link to previous thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1027711
Forum Moderator

Noray

Re: A400M Update Thread 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:00 pm

It's official now that, in addition to the 40 aircraft in Wunstorf, there will be a second A400M base in Germany. In 2025, a "multinational unit" will be based in Lechfeld near Augsburg, Bavaria.

It hasn't been announced yet what will be the other nations besides Germany. According to the first reports, there will be 10 German A400Ms in Lechfeld, which, given that Germany has ordered 53, would leave 2 or 3 aircraft for other partners (one could be used for tests).

A few days ago, a German MedEvac A400M evacuated a Hungarian Soldier from Afghanistan to Budapest. Maybe that's a hint towards a possible partner.

Noray

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 am

Noray wrote:
It hasn't been announced yet what will be the other nations besides Germany. According to the first reports, there will be 10 German A400Ms in Lechfeld, which, given that Germany has ordered 53, would leave 2 or 3 aircraft for other partners (one could be used for tests).

One source said that the Luftwaffe will get two test and one training aircraft (the latter possibly for training of ground crew?) and therefore only 10 A400Ms remain for Lechfeld altogether. Negotiations with possible international partners still seem to be going on and the recent announcement was supposed to reassure them.

keesje

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:16 pm

The Luftwaffe got their 25th, halfway.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

mxaxai

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Recent news said that MSN4 & MSN6 (currently test fleet) have significant issues with their engines, which is why MSN56 was temporarily assigned to Airbus' test fleet and another later MSN will join her soon.
Possibly the other white tail, MSN75, or perhaps one that is still in assembly. Not sure if they might swap a delivery here: MSN75 to a customer and the would-be delivery to the test fleet instead. I can't find which batch they're currently at (should be 4 or 5; 6 starts at MSN106) but if there's an upcoming switch soon, that would be a welcome opportunity to get the latest version into the test fleet.

Slug71

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 am

mxaxai wrote:
Recent news said that MSN4 & MSN6 (currently test fleet) have significant issues with their engines, which is why MSN56 was temporarily assigned to Airbus' test fleet and another later MSN will join her soon.
Possibly the other white tail, MSN75, or perhaps one that is still in assembly. Not sure if they might swap a delivery here: MSN75 to a customer and the would-be delivery to the test fleet instead. I can't find which batch they're currently at (should be 4 or 5; 6 starts at MSN106) but if there's an upcoming switch soon, that would be a welcome opportunity to get the latest version into the test fleet.

Is there a reason the engines couldn't just be replaced on those frames?

Grizzly410

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:12 am

Slug71 wrote:
Is there a reason the engines couldn't just be replaced on those frames?

Original test fleet (MSN 1/2/3/4) are very different to serial engines, to the point nacelles + pylon are different and can't be modified to acomodate serial...

The MSN4 grounding can very much be related to the time needed to produce specific spare.

I didn't noticed issue with MSN6, it was on heavy duty before Christmas break and had schedule maintenance planned for beg of this year. On top, even if they are fitted with some FTI, its engines are way closer to serial (If I recall correctly a serial engine was tested during the gearbox crisis).
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.

Grizzly410

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:05 pm

mxaxai wrote:

Your news may be true but contradicts mine :
- Not heard about MSN6 engine trouble. As it flew normally last week and is away for testing this week too I feel there's nothing significant ongoing.
- MSN56 temporary addition to the test fleet have nothing to do with issues on others frame. More to do with the need to test some latest features without having to ground MSN6 during weeks to upgrade it plus the ability to use it as demonstrator during airshows (thus freeing MSN6 for testing like they did last year during RIAT/Farnborough).

But it's true about the rumor of adding again another specimen to the test fleet in order to regain some time lost during the MSN4 grounding.
In such scenario MSNx would be paired with MSN6 to work on the buddy refueling while MSN4 would be focused on the helicopter refueling POD development. Unless Airbus decide to incorporate another aircraft for long term I personally feel that it would be a customer aircraft rather than MSN75. Finish the assembly and assign engines for a bird you'll ground as soon as you complete the mission would be cost prohibitive.
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.

mxaxai

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:08 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Your news may be true but contradicts mine :
- Not heard about MSN6 engine trouble. As it flew normally last week and is away for testing this week too I feel there's nothing significant ongoing.
- MSN56 temporary addition to the test fleet have nothing to do with issues on others frame. More to do with the need to test some latest features without having to ground MSN6 during weeks to upgrade it plus the ability to use it as demonstrator during airshows (thus freeing MSN6 for testing like they did last year during RIAT/Farnborough).

But it's true about the rumor of adding again another specimen to the test fleet in order to regain some time lost during the MSN4 grounding.
In such scenario MSNx would be paired with MSN6 to work on the buddy refueling while MSN4 would be focused on the helicopter refueling POD development. Unless Airbus decide to incorporate another aircraft for long term I personally feel that it would be a customer aircraft rather than MSN75. Finish the assembly and assign engines for a bird you'll ground as soon as you complete the mission would be cost prohibitive.

It is possible that something got lost in translation, e. g. someone originally said "MSN4 has engine troubles and MSNx will work with MSN6" and "MSN4 and MSN6 have engine troubles and MSNx will work for it" was received after going through a few people. Your source seems to have a more direct link.

I was informed that MSN86 (for Germany, still in FAL per https://www.abcdlist.nl/a400mf/a400mf.html) would join the test fleet but with the comment: "MSN75 is still without a customer so this move doesn't make any sense; someone might have gotten things mixed up." If it is indeed only for a very specific and limited test program, I agree that borrowing an already assigned aircraft for some time prior to delivery is easier.