estorilm

Re: A400M Update Thread 2019

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Okay, since I'll never have anywhere else to post these - might as well throw them in here.

This beautiful machine was recently delivered and only had ~200hrs on it, you could eat off of pretty much any surface. The crew was great and was happy to answer all of our questions and show us around the various areas of the aircraft.

Currently operated by Air Transport Wing 62 of the Luftwaffe.

EDIT: Gr, what am I doing wrong here? My photos never work anymore. :(

Revelation

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:27 pm

estorilm wrote:

I cannot figure it out either. Your coding of the post is fine, the links load fine in Chrome or Firefox, no idea what is up.

Maybe ask on Site Related forum for help?

Here are links for people to click through, the photos are excellent.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

EDIT: Oddly enough, after loading via these links, all of a sudden the photos showed up in the original post as well.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

estorilm

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:44 pm

Revelation wrote:
estorilm wrote:

I cannot figure it out either. Your coding of the post is fine, the links load fine in Chrome or Firefox, no idea what is up.

Maybe ask on Site Related forum for help?

Here are links for people to click through, the photos are excellent.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

EDIT: Oddly enough, after loading via these links, all of a sudden the photos showed up in the original post as well.

Thanks! Yeah that is weird. I'm kinda bummed I didn't take more pictures, but I was busy drooling haha. Almost any display in the aircraft can show any camera as well (incl. IR) - the load master had two giant touch screens, a nice pull out tray table, air conditioning, whatever cameras he could want.

I didn't realize the engines were still running the temporary fix gear boxes either - he told me the TBO on them and it was VERY low still. :(

Grizzly410

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:58 pm

estorilm wrote:
Which aircraft is refueling currently? I was lucky enough to tour a Luftwaffe A400M a couple weeks ago and WOW, what an incredible machine! It only had ~200hrs on it, and sitting in that cockpit with everything fired up was awesome. I got to take a look at the refueling panel, which is pretty intuitive as would be expected by an airbus system. Master switch for tanking, dispensing, and normal.
FWIW though, they had told me that they were still incapable of refueling for some reason? Granted I don't think this was a tactically deployed aircraft, as these folks typically fly freight around for various needs (this was at IAD.)

Can't tell you a precise list but current PODs are certified for "fighters" in day operation, same thing for the center line Hose Drum Unit. I think the capability is standard since end of last year, ~MSN83.
Buddy refuelling and night operations should be certified in a close future, Cargo Hold Tanks too.

Btw, I heard Cargo Hold Tanks can be filled with a different fuel type than the one used by A400M (and delivered only throught the HDU). I'm surprised because I thought all aircraft were using basically the same fuel. How is it managed on other tankers, with help of aditional tanks too ? I can't imagine the std A/C fuel system can manage 2 differents fuel within the wing tank...

estorilm wrote:
I'll have to post some pictures later, the HUD was pretty cool, and the load master's station is NICE. Big beautiful (fully configurable) screens everywhere, hell they even have foot heaters up in the cockpit.

What about the coffee machine in the small galley? :coffee: :biggrin:
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.

estorilm

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
estorilm wrote:
Which aircraft is refueling currently? I was lucky enough to tour a Luftwaffe A400M a couple weeks ago and WOW, what an incredible machine! It only had ~200hrs on it, and sitting in that cockpit with everything fired up was awesome. I got to take a look at the refueling panel, which is pretty intuitive as would be expected by an airbus system. Master switch for tanking, dispensing, and normal.
FWIW though, they had told me that they were still incapable of refueling for some reason? Granted I don't think this was a tactically deployed aircraft, as these folks typically fly freight around for various needs (this was at IAD.)

Can't tell you a precise list but current PODs are certified for "fighters" in day operation, same thing for the center line Hose Drum Unit. I think the capability is standard since end of last year, ~MSN83.
Buddy refuelling and night operations should be certified in a close future, Cargo Hold Tanks too.

Btw, I heard Cargo Hold Tanks can be filled with a different fuel type than the one used by A400M (and delivered only throught the HDU). I'm surprised because I thought all aircraft were using basically the same fuel. How is it managed on other tankers, with help of aditional tanks too ? I can't imagine the std A/C fuel system can manage 2 differents fuel within the wing tank...

estorilm wrote:
I'll have to post some pictures later, the HUD was pretty cool, and the load master's station is NICE. Big beautiful (fully configurable) screens everywhere, hell they even have foot heaters up in the cockpit.

What about the coffee machine in the small galley? :coffee: :biggrin:

I forgot to ask about the coffee area, but they were definitely loaded up with a ton of sodas for some reason. Maybe they're going to hit up more air shows lol. The electric seats were pretty cool (they slide over towards the windows for access, plus fwd/aft of course, and every other way you can think of) - the C-17 guys were there and checked her out also. They thought the seats were cool but "just one more thing to break in 10 years" lol.

I spoke briefly about the fuel system capabilities and it seemed like every possible scenario had been planned for - they also mentioned that they'd be able to use the cargo hold tanks very soon and they were were trained on it etc, everything is basically ready to go - probably a paperwork / certification thing more than anything else. The range he mentioned was pretty awesome with the additional fuel tanks.

I asked about the hyd systems layout vs. A380 etc and he said it was basically identical, one press of a button and he had all of the actuators and supplies (both electric and hydraulic supplies) pulled up on a screen. It's the same as the A380 in that you can lose 100% of ALL HYDRAULICS and not only will it still fly, but it'll still have full autopilot (will also retain autopilot during an engine failure as well, even just after takeoff / climb-out).

Sadly - I asked if I could move the side-stick and he said in slightly broken English / German accent "eh, you better not do that" :lol: I guess even on the GPU, with basic systems on, the flight control surfaces would still move. Probably a stupid question, but I was impressed by how small/simple the side-stick was... wanted to "feel the power" lol.

Grizzly410

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:48 pm

estorilm wrote:
I spoke briefly about the fuel system capabilities and it seemed like every possible scenario had been planned for - they also mentioned that they'd be able to use the cargo hold tanks very soon and they were were trained on it etc, everything is basically ready to go - probably a paperwork / certification thing more than anything else. The range he mentioned was pretty awesome with the additional fuel tanks.

A bit more complicated. All aircraft are ready to accommodate wing PODS but only certain (few) have the necessary piping for the cargo tanks and ramp ready for the HDU (let's say "tanker" version).
But yeah, once capability certified by Airbus there is nearly no hardware work on aircraft to upgrade and refuel by pods, or HDU if you have a "tanker".

I’m afraid he wanted to impress you with the range with cargo tanks as it is a very useless data ! The tanks are meant to be used for the tanker application, of course you can use them to extend the ferry range too… :spin: Let me explain :
Once fitted with the two cargo tanks you just can’t load anything as between the tank, their pallet + the additional piping there is nearly no room left except on the ceiling :mrgreen: . Worse when the tank are associated with the HDU (and that’s the standard application) in this conf you just can’t operate the ramp !!!

estorilm wrote:
I asked about the hyd systems layout vs. A380 etc and he said it was basically identical, one press of a button and he had all of the actuators and supplies (both electric and hydraulic supplies) pulled up on a screen. It's the same as the A380 in that you can lose 100% of ALL HYDRAULICS and not only will it still fly, but it'll still have full autopilot (will also retain autopilot during an engine failure as well, even just after takeoff / climb-out).

A380 and A400M were developed not in parallel but so close in time that an awful lot of systems are basically identical, just like a lot of standard parts and practice.

mxaxai

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:58 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
Once fitted with the two cargo tanks you just can’t load anything as between the tank, their pallet + the additional piping there is nearly no room left except on the ceiling :mrgreen:

There should be lots of empty room between the two tanks It is probably unusable for normal cargo operations, though, since you'd need to remove the rear tank to load or unload anything.

estorilm wrote:
This beautiful machine was recently delivered and only had ~200hrs on it, you could eat off of pretty much any surface.

I suppose you didn't notice the integrated urinal next to the ramp?

estorilm

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:18 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Grizzly410 wrote:
Once fitted with the two cargo tanks you just can’t load anything as between the tank, their pallet + the additional piping there is nearly no room left except on the ceiling :mrgreen:

There should be lots of empty room between the two tanks It is probably unusable for normal cargo operations, though, since you'd need to remove the rear tank to load or unload anything.

estorilm wrote:
This beautiful machine was recently delivered and only had ~200hrs on it, you could eat off of pretty much any surface.

I suppose you didn't notice the integrated urinal next to the ramp?

LOL on the right side there? Nah - there's so much crap covering every inch of that plane, I honestly didn't notice. :lol:

Revelation

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:33 pm

estorilm wrote:
Revelation wrote:
WIederling wrote:

To uphold a.net's tradition of pedantry, I will point out that #191 reports "dry contact" so no actual refueling is underway, although clearly it should be soon.

Both tanker and receiver are reported to be very frustrated by the situation. :blush:

Yeah that's what the pilots were explaining to me - I should have got some more details but honestly I think they're the last to know sometimes lol.

They should know wet contact is more fun than dry contact, right? :biggrin:

JerseyFlyer

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:56 am

Grizzly410 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Did anyone release info on how the original design failure with regard to helicopter refueling happened?

I'm not aware but would make a very interesting read.
I could understand that "stability issues for the rotorcraft while it was operating near the Atlas" could have been missed during development, that's something not so easy to model. But the "90ft length of its refuelling hose also bringing it too close to the airlifter's tail" seems like a very predictable issue to me... :sigh:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... oo-450430/

Maybe "too close to the tail" really means "within the unexpected wake turbulence", in which case a longer hose would be needed to take a helicopter further away from the wake.

keesje

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:08 am

Heli tanking video:
https://youtu.be/FEb_nvR7F38

Interesting RTO, right engine feathering at full power.
https://youtu.be/SFn9O204B10
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Ozair

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:38 am

Looks like any South Korean order, which had been discussed in this thread previously, for the A400M is at least a few years away as the South Koreans have not even defined the requirement for it. No indication yet whether they will run an actual competition or sole source the selection. Political considerations may preclude the C-2 being selected but the KC-390 could be a different potential option. If the South Koreans really want the A400M though they could easily size the requirement to exclude the C-130/KC-390 based on payload requirements.

Airbus pursues A400M opportunity in South Korea

Airbus Defence and Space (DS) is positioning its A400M transport aircraft to meet a requirement in the Republic of Korea (RoK) Air Force, the company said in a media briefing on 16 October at the Seoul International Aerospace & Defense Exhibition (ADEX).

Johan Pelissier, head of Asia-Pacific in Airbus DS, said the potential A400M programme had received impetus given the company’s deliveries of A330-200 Multirole Tanker Transport (MRTT) aircraft to the RoK Air Force. Following selection in 2015, Airbus DS has delivered three MRTTs – the most recent in August – with the fourth scheduled to arrive in December.

“I definitely see an increasing interest from South Korea to meet their future requirements,” said Pelissier in reference to the A400M. He added, “At this point [in] time it is more business development discussions [between Airbus DS and the RoK Air Force]. There is no request for information (RFI). [But] we see a potential need for this aircraft in the coming few years, and the RoK Air Force is interested to learn more about what the A400M can do.”

Jane’s has previously reported that the RoKAF has an outstanding requirement for strategic airlift capability. Pelissier said that while the scope of the potential procurement had not been detailed by South Korea, the requirement, given South Korea’s expansive operations and strategic needs, could be expected to cover up to eight aircraft.

Billed as a competitor to the Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules, Jane's has previously reported that the A400M can carry larger payloads over strategic distances, while being able to deliver them in a tactical fashion, such as onto austere landing strips. Pelissier said regional customers in the Asia-Pacific region were “expressing interested in this expanded reach and payload capacity of the aircraft”.

https://www.janes.com/article/91948/ade ... outh-korea

Ozair

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 pm

JerseyFlyer wrote:

Still no progress on an A400M order for Indonesia but they are moving forward with discussions on the C-130J.

Indonesia seeks C-130J deals with US

Indonesia is looking to secure deals with the United States government to procure Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules transport aircraft and to facilitate industrial co-operation in relation to the platform, the Indonesian Ministry of Defence (MoD) has stated.

The MoD said in a press release that it had advanced both topics in meetings in Jakarta on 22 October between the MoD's secretary general Agus Setiadji and the US' acting deputy assistant secretary of defence for South and Southeast Asia, Christopher Johnston.

"The meeting discussed defence industry co-operation, particularly in the procurement of the C130J Hercules," said the MoD. "In addition, the [MoD] hopes that in the future the US can help accelerate the process of procuring the C130J Hercules."

Jane's understands that Lockheed Martin responded to a request for information issued by the MoD in mid-2018 in support of a plan to procure transport aircraft for the Indonesian Air Force (Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Udara: TNI-AU).

Air Commodore Novyan Samyoga, the chief of information in the TNI-AU, had previously confirmed to Jane's that the service has identified the platform as a priority procurement given the age of some of the service's existing transport aircraft. In the first phase of the procurement, the TNI-AU is expected to procure five platforms if sufficient funding is available.

The TNI-AU currently operates about 20 legacy C-130 models, with some dating back to the 1960s.

In late 2018 Richard Johnston, Lockheed Martin's director for international business development within the corporation's air mobility and maritime missions unit, told Jane's that the US corporation is engaged with the TNI-AU about the requirement through a planned "roadmap".

https://www.janes.com/article/92092/ind ... ls-with-us

Given Indonesia operates 20 C-130s already an order to replace a portion of these, especially given the age of some of the aircraft, is no surprise. An A400M order across the top for 2 to 4 aircraft, similar to Malaysia, would complement the C-130 fleet but I doubt will ever be a fleet wide replacement.

Ozair

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:30 am

Airbus is looking for export sales of the A400M to come from Asia Pacific. The two candidates are as expected South Korea and Indonesia.

Any sale to South Korea increasingly looks like happening in conjunction with a Spanish order for Korean training aircraft with South Korean A400Ms coming from existing Spanish orders and not new airframes.

The Indonesian speculation continues on the acquisition of two to four aircraft.

Airbus prioritises A400M in Asia-Pacific region

Airbus Defence & Space sees the A400M tactical transport as its top sales priority in the Asia-Pacific region, while also eyeing opportunities for tankers and support aircraft.

Johan Pelissier, head of Asia-Pacific at the airframer, says the two markets with the most potential for the A400M are South Korea and Indonesia.

“I definitely see rising interest from the Koreans in order to meet future requirements,” he says.

Pelissier points out that the Republic of Korea Air Force (RoKAF) has had a chance to see the A400M in action with other operators during humanitarian missions in the region, and says the type would complement the service’s existing Lockheed Martin C-130Hs. So far, the only Asia-Pacific customer for the A400M is the Royal Malaysian Air Force, which operates four examples.

“The A400M can deliver twice the payload for the same range, or go twice the range with the same payload,” he says. “Its reach and payload are definitely of interest for potential customers. It can also do missions that are not possible today.”

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... on-461785/

An interesting side is that Airbus only see South Korea and Australia as areas for future sale of the KC-30s, hoping both will top up their orders. South Korea only has four while the RAAF has seven. Any increase to the RAAF fleet would likely come from more ex Qantas frames but not sure about South Korea.

N14AZ

Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Seems as if someone has got a screw loose, so to speak: https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2019- ... 3UKsH.html

A lot of propellers have to be inspected.....
Source: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inl ... _1_6483441

Didn't find a better article in English language. Maybe someone else has a better link.
Here's the story in German language, published by Der Spiegel...... of course ;-) :
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschl ... 96189.html

Grizzly410

Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:48 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Seems as if someone has got a screw loose, so to speak: https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2019- ... 3UKsH.html

I'm very familiar with the topic, unfortunately cannot share detailed info, but it's interesting to me to read how it is reported.
Of course one can't expect an accurate and detailed explanation but in this case the only true part is that it's linked to the propeller fixation and inspection is needed ! :?
Honestly, the Spiegel article makes the story much more dramatic than it really is, that somewhat confirms the strong corridor noise suggesting the Germans were looking to postpone delivery by all means (without knowing why). They may have found the perfect opportunity.

The real shame is that it's an issue again rooted in the early decision of the program : To "give" the FAL to an entity not used to Airbus way of operating FALs without injecting the necessary amount of "Airbus culture".

N14AZ

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Grizzly410 wrote:
I'm very familiar with the topic, unfortunately cannot share detailed info, but it's interesting to me to read how it is reported.
Of course one can't expect an accurate and detailed explanation but in this case the only true part is that it's linked to the propeller fixation and inspection is needed ! :?
Honestly, the Spiegel article makes the story much more dramatic than it really is.

I was surprised about the last sentences of that article:

In den letzten Monaten aber gab es hoffnungsvolle Nachrichten vom modernen Truppentransporter. Schritt für Schritt gelang es, wichtige Fähigkeiten des Fliegers zu etablieren

Rough translation: „In recent months, however, there have been hopeful news from the modern troop-carrier. Step by step, it was possible to establish important capabilities of the aircraft.“

Such a statement, published by the Spiegel, is somehow the ultimate accolade.

mxaxai

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:30 pm

N14AZ wrote:
In den letzten Monaten aber gab es hoffnungsvolle Nachrichten vom modernen Truppentransporter. Schritt für Schritt gelang es, wichtige Fähigkeiten des Fliegers zu etablieren

Rough translation: „In recent months, however, there have been hopeful news from the modern troop-carrier. Step by step, it was possible to establish important capabilities of the aircraft.“

Such a statement, published by the Spiegel, is somehow the ultimate accolade.

Most of those capabilities were already included in the original contracts, and their recent establishment is less of a sudden development and more the result of years of planning, development and certification. Some visible progress is definitely nice, though. It helps to regain/retain some confidence from project partners and the public.

Revelation

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:32 pm

N14AZ wrote:

A lot of propellers have to be inspected.....
Source: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inl ... _1_6483441

Didn't find a better article in English language. Maybe someone else has a better link.
Here's the story in German language, published by Der Spiegel...... of course ;-) :
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschl ... 96189.html

English language version: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germ ... SKBN1XN157

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany’s air force said on Wednesday it had decided not to accept delivery of two Airbus (AIR.PA) A400M planes, citing recurring technical problems with the military transporters.
Although 31 aircraft of 53 ordered had been handed over, it said there were technical issues with the planes, including with nuts used on propellers. It said extra time was needed for inspections that undermined the readiness of the A400M fleet.
The German air force said extra inspections were also needed to test engine mounts, combustion chambers and engine flaps and for crack detection on various parts. It said the A400M was still not able to perform all tasks, despite these checks.

Reuters did not address the political aspect (if any) of this decision.

N14AZ

Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:25 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Some visible progress is definitely nice, though. It helps to regain/retain some confidence from project partners and the public.

Very true! :checkmark:
Revelation wrote:
Reuters did not address the political aspect (if any) of this decision.

„If any“, yes. Unlike Grizzly410 I don’t have any insights but it’s hard to see any political aspect.

If a Luftwaffe representative would accept an aircraft with loose screws or even possibly loose screws people could say that he screwed up phenomenally. ;-)

Some screws were loose and all aircraft already delivered have to be checked. That’s it. The year is 2019, as far as I know mankind found some solutions for loose screws...

N14AZ

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 am

Just saw an A400M-picture that I find interesting:
ImageAirbus A400M - ZM4419 - HAJ - 01.12.2019(4) by Matthias Schichta, auf Flickr
Picture found on https://www.haj-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=216 - I hope this is not in violation of any forum rule

The thing that I find interesting about this picture is the angle of the engine nacelles. It looks as if they bend downwards when the wing produces no lift. I never noticed something similar on the C5A, for example (pic for comparison, so not posted via the “photoid”-feature). Just an optical illusion?

mxaxai

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Many aircraft have slightly tilted engines on the ground. How exactly depends on the flow interaction with the wings and fuselage, both before and behind the engine. They can also be tilted inwards or outwards.
Just guessing here, but it could be that the slightly upwards flow behind the engine is supposed to increase the angle of attack, thus providing more lift at low speeds. Or the other way around, that the wing deflects the airflow so that it is at a slight upward angle where the prop is, so the prop disc is now perpendicular to the airflow.