zanl188
Topic Author

Restored XP-82 takes flight

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:21 pm

XP-82 restoration took an accidental giant leap forward Monday when the aircraft was lifted into the air during a taxi test.

This is the prototype XP-82 and is the only example of the type currently flying.

https://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/ ... ail#232071

"A meticulously rebuilt prototype of the P-82 Twin Mustang, designated the XP-82, became the only flying version of the type on New Year’s Eve but it wasn’t supposed to work out that way. Test pilot Ray Fowler was conducting the latest of a series of high-speed taxi tests at the XP-82 Prototype Project’s home base in Douglas, Georgia, on Monday and the intention was to lift the wheels for a second or two and then deploy the flaps and roll out. “It accelerated so fast after the planned lift off that Ray, our test pilot, realized that getting it back down and stopping it in the remaining runway would be marginal,” owner Tom Reilly said in Facebook post. “So he pushed the power back up and flew for about five minutes.”"
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

estorilm

Re: Restored XP-82 takes flight

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:10 pm

zanl188 wrote:
XP-82 restoration took an accidental giant leap forward Monday when the aircraft was lifted into the air during a taxi test.

This is the prototype XP-82 and is the only example of the type currently flying.

https://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/ ... ail#232071

"A meticulously rebuilt prototype of the P-82 Twin Mustang, designated the XP-82, became the only flying version of the type on New Year’s Eve but it wasn’t supposed to work out that way. Test pilot Ray Fowler was conducting the latest of a series of high-speed taxi tests at the XP-82 Prototype Project’s home base in Douglas, Georgia, on Monday and the intention was to lift the wheels for a second or two and then deploy the flaps and roll out. “It accelerated so fast after the planned lift off that Ray, our test pilot, realized that getting it back down and stopping it in the remaining runway would be marginal,” owner Tom Reilly said in Facebook post. “So he pushed the power back up and flew for about five minutes.”"

I can't even imagine - I've been following that restoration for a while and it's one of the most meticulous and well-managed projects I've seen in the industry for ages. Getting the wheels off and settling back down could indeed be sketchy is she accelerated as described (which I'm sure it did!) Probably a good call by the test pilot, and it's also great that by then, he had enough confidence in the aircraft to take off instead of risking an overrun.
Bummer there doesn't seem to be much footage of the event, but I'm sure plenty of people got video that will pop up eventually. I wonder what certification they're going for with the FAA? Lots of interesting flight tests to follow I'm sure - unlike many other warbirds, there isn't a whole lot of data on these things to begin with.