Mortyman
Topic Author

F-35 back flips without trusth vectoring ... ( video )

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:52 pm

F-35 backflips without trusth vectoring ... ( video )

https://www.facebook.com/TXAFTERBURNER/ ... 755539210/

and people say it can't turn ...

GalaxyFlyer

Re: F-35 back flips without trusth vectoring ... ( video )

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Great high AoA capability, not very tactically useful unless one wants to be an airborne strafe panel.

GF

RJMAZ

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 am

The most impressive video to date.

People will soon realise why the F-22 got cancelled so quickly.

Early stealth design and low powered design computers forced the F-22 to be a slab with wings. Without thrust vectoring the F-22 would have had worse agility than the F-15. Thrust vectoring added significant weight to the design and reduced range.

The F-35 design was not limited to a slab with wings. Advanced computer design could provide stealth with a much more complex and superior aerodynamic shape. Advanced body lift, subtle vortex generators and directing airflow over control surfaces.

The F-35 is three quarters the size and weight of the F-22 and can fly further and match its agility and kinematics for less than half the price. Even the F-22 on its "supercruise" mission profile the F-35 can sit beside it easily. In fact it is the F-22 that would run out of fuel trying to keep up with the F-35.

I'll wait for someone to say the multi-billion dollar F-22 program was cancelled because some $100 computer chips were no longer being manufactured. :lol:

seahawk

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:40 pm

I see nothing impressiv. A loop nothing more. Backflip is turning your nose backward, while flying forward.

ThePointblank

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Great high AoA capability, not very tactically useful unless one wants to be an airborne strafe panel.

GF

High AoA capability is important for low speed nose pointing.

Basically, if I can point my nose at you, I can aim and shoot at you.

Note that the F-35 was designed with high AoA capabilities to begin with; it was part of the original higher level threshold requirements that was requested.

seahawk wrote:
I see nothing impressiv. A loop nothing more. Backflip is turning your nose backward, while flying forward.

See the rest of demo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsdJQSCHbqf ... e=ig_embed

Basically, the pilot approaches from the left, then executes a pitch-up to the vertical with the first corner of a square loop to the inverted.

The pilot then pulls back hard on the sidestick while inverted, backing off power and executing a quite tight loop.

Once back to level flight the aircraft begins a descending flat spiral with no forward airspeed. The pilot then executes one 360° flat spin as the pilot then re-positions to exit show right.

seahawk

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 pm

And that is not impressive.
Apart from the less favourable perspective to the camera the F-18 does it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf5A13atLHQ

JayinKitsap

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Well over 350 delivered and 90 more per year it will be the most common fighter in not too many years.

China has in production the J-20 with 28 in service and Russia has the Su-57 with 10 built.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:47 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

High AoA capability is important for low speed nose pointing.

Basically, if I can point my nose at you, I can aim and shoot at you.

Note that the F-35 was designed with high AoA capabilities to begin with; it was part of the original higher level threshold requirements that was requested.

seahawk wrote:

See the rest of demo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsdJQSCHbqf ... e=ig_embed

Basically, the pilot approaches from the left, then executes a pitch-up to the vertical with the first corner of a square loop to the inverted.

The pilot then pulls back hard on the sidestick while inverted, backing off power and executing a quite tight loop.

Once back to level flight the aircraft begins a descending flat spiral with no forward airspeed. The pilot then executes one 360° flat spin as the pilot then re-positions to exit show right.

I would hope an F-35 pilot would have used stealth, superior information processing and missiles to avoid a slow speed scissors requiring high AoA, low energy state maneuvers. Scissors maybe fun, one on one, but I wouldn’t want to let things get there in a high threat, multi-bogey environment.

GF

FlyHossD

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:03 am

I've watched the video twice now and I still haven't seen "a backflip." Coming down from the top of the (square) loop, the nose comes up, but then the F-35 appears to enter a spin, before flying out of that spin. Where's the backflip (what time on the video)?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

AirlineCritic

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:37 am

I also thought that the manoeuvre seemed pretty standard. (Although since I couldn't see ground for most of the video, I kept shouting, eject, eject!)

But, I thought the whole idea with generation 5 fighters is that they no longer need to "point the nose to shoot"...

ThePointblank

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

AirlineCritic wrote:
I also thought that the manoeuvre seemed pretty standard. (Although since I couldn't see ground for most of the video, I kept shouting, eject, eject!)

But, I thought the whole idea with generation 5 fighters is that they no longer need to "point the nose to shoot"...

You still want to point the nose at the target, as that would ensure that the missile has the most amount of energy available to reach the target, increasing your pk.

Sure, a missile can hit a target off boresight, but the missile uses a lot of energy to make a sudden turn to do so. Therefore, you should point your nose at the target prior to shooting, if the situation permits.

bunumuring

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Hey Mortyman,
A great video: thanks for sharing it!
I enjoyed it and was impressed.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

rheinwaldner

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:15 am

seahawk wrote:
And that is not impressive.
Apart from the less favourable perspective to the camera the F-18 does it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf5A13atLHQ

This is IMO the more impressive video. Start at 4:44 to see it. Indeed the F-35 showed nothing new here.
Many things are difficult, all things are possible!

Noshow

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 pm

I consider the F-35 maneuvring pretty impressive. They used to show it only very lame before. No the chains seem to come off.
Could some F-16 do the same?

brindabella

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

AirlineCritic wrote:

Phew!

I wasn't the only one. Great relief!

8-)

cheers
Billy

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:11 pm

That was my point, too