NoLifeLine
Topic Author

Richard Branson expects to fly in his SpaceShipTwo by late-2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Richard Branson is planning commercial fights of his SpaceShipTwo towards the middle of the year and he will be flying too.

Virgin Galactic's founder, Richard Branson says he expects to fly on the company’s SpaceShipTwo suborbital vehicle around the middle of this year after the completion of a series of test flights starting within weeks.

I have a lot of respect for him being one of the first to fly in the new spacecraft. I do not like the technology though. Seems far too limited. I wish he had thrown his money into Skylon instead. What do you guys think of it?

The rest of the article is below

CplKlinger

Re: Richard Branson expects to fly in his SpaceShipTwo by late-2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:50 pm

NoLifeLine wrote:
Richard Branson is planning commercial fights of his SpaceShipTwo towards the middle of the year and he will be flying too.

Virgin Galactic's founder, Richard Branson says he expects to fly on the company’s SpaceShipTwo suborbital vehicle around the middle of this year after the completion of a series of test flights starting within weeks.

I have a lot of respect for him being one of the first to fly in the new spacecraft. I do not like the technology though. Seems far too limited. I wish he had thrown his money into Skylon instead. What do you guys think of it?

The rest of the article is below

I think it's a fantastic way to identify who has more money than sense.

NoLifeLine
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Yes. I cant see where he really expects it to go. With Elon Musk you can see links between his ventures that support his other businesses and future hope for Mars colonisation. But Branson's Virgin Galactic seems doomed to fail.

CplKlinger

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be something come out of this exercise, but as a going concern I agree with you. There seems to be no overarching goal other than put people in a thing, shoot them high up in the air to just the edge of space, then they come back. I know there's talk of using it for suborbital science payloads, but there are so many cheaper and easier off the shelf solutions that would work just as well.

Noshow

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 am

It will be passenger flights just for the experience. Low g, the round earth, "space". That might be enough for a lot of people who otherwise travel through jungles, the Himalayas or Antarctica. Might very well turn out to be a business. And it might help to get the general public again to be more interested in human spaceflight.

CplKlinger

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:25 am

Noshow wrote:
It will be passenger flights just for the experience. Low g, the round earth, "space". That might be enough for a lot of people who otherwise travel through jungles, the Himalayas or Antarctica. Might very well turn out to be a business. And it might help to get the general public again to be more interested in human spaceflight.

I fail to see how this is a "business" when tickets are going for $250k. This is just rich people showing to everyone else that they're rich because they can afford it. There are much better ways to get the general public interested in space than rich folks going into space with other rich folks. Elon Musk isn't my favorite person on the planet, but it can be argued he's done more for getting people interested in space with the crazy stuff SpaceX has pulled off in the last decade, and there's been tangible results from their work.

This is a vanity project, nothing more, nothing less.

GDB

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 pm

If Blue Origin gets fare payers on their New Shepherd first, then it's probably game over for Virgin Galactic.
What the taxpayers of Nevada will think about an unused facility they bankrolled, sitting there for years, perhaps staying unused, will be interesting to see. They HAD to pay, after all, Branson's only a tax avoiding billionaire.

Game over since the New Shepherd experience cites more time in micro-gravity conditions, better views and more space.
And as stated above, has other applications and is a stepping stone to something more useful.
Not that Bezos likes paying tax either, however Blue Origin has proceeded quietly, (compared to Branson and Virgin Galactic, whose pronouncements on when they'd be flying customers has been a feature of his marketing every year since the mid 2000's, always being 'soon').

Branson should have ended it after the 2014 fatal crash, a crash of a vehicle designed for one thing, giving a ride to high net worth people, usually famous ones.
A decade after starting the whole venture, still years away from pax flights, they have a crash.
Which given that of course they'd rectify it, which they have done, might not have been a factor until an alternative hits the market.

Maybe it was a bold thing for Branson to do back in 2004, still he looks to have backed the wrong system, not that there was an alternative back then to be fair. So the well over a decade of delays I think has made the system probably now the wrong one at the wrong time.
And unlike Musk, it sure isn't reducing the costs of getting stuff to orbit by a factor of 5 or 6.