Max Q
Topic Author

Replacement for the Phoenix missile

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:23 pm

From the time the mighty F14 entered service it was famous for its capability to carry the large and very long ranged Phoenix

This was a missile that could shoot a supersonic target 100 miles away and was seen as an effective defense for the carrier the Tomcats were protecting

Is there an existing missile that can be carried by the F18 with equivalent performance?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

tommy1808

Re: Replacement for the Phoenix missile

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Meteor. Probably not the same range vs. a straight line target, but probably the longest range of any air2air missile against anything that manoevers. And just a fraction of the weight.

So, pretty much available of the shelf.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

smithbs

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:10 pm

The Navy has already decided: the AIM-120! The AIM-120D seems to be as close as it's going to get in terms of range. Note that missile ranges are hard to quantify from public sources. For example, I could use a AIM-120 against a supersonic target at 100 miles - if that target is headed right at me, doesn't change course, and is going REALLY fast such that it comes into the AIM-120 basket due to its own speed. And so when quoting missile ranges, the question becomes what is the closure rate, relative altitudes, altitude gain of the missile, energy of missile at interception, etc etc. Usually I suspect that a publicly stated blanket range is somewhere near maximum range conditions against a fast-closing target, minus some margin for secrecy, plus some margin for marketing.

Beyond Meteor, there has been talk of a new program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-Rang ... ent_Weapon

DigitalSea

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Who needs missiles when you can employ DEW tech :twisted: .

Ozair

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Meteor. Probably not the same range vs. a straight line target, but probably the longest range of any air2air missile against anything that manoevers. And just a fraction of the weight.

Best regards
Thomas

I don’t expect the US to acquire the Meteor for a couple of reasons including seeker history (it has the MICA seeker), the cost/capability trade-off of the missile against the AIM-120D and the emergence, as smithbs has said, of new missiles. The US is keen for 5th gen missiles to equip their 5th gen platforms and the Meteor, while having a long range and unique propulsion for an A2A missile, is not that.

It will be integrated onto the F-35 for the UK as well as potentially other F-35 operators but no one has yet to decide to operate from the F/A-18, or the F-16 for that matter. Spain is the only operator of the Meteor that has an F/A-18 fleet but I am not aware of any plans to integrate Meteor onto it.

It is possible Meteor will see sales and integration onto other US aircraft, perhaps Saudi or Qatari F-15s and maybe Egyptian F-16s if they order it for their Rafale. It may move to Gripen operators such as Thailand and South Africa but I doubt it.

UK and Japan are working on a seeker upgrade for potential future use and I see that derivative weapon as a better overall prospect than the current version.

smithbs wrote:
Note that missile ranges are hard to quantify from public sources. For example, I could use a AIM-120 against a supersonic target at 100 miles - if that target is headed right at me, doesn't change course, and is going REALLY fast such that it comes into the AIM-120 basket due to its own speed. And so when quoting missile ranges, the question becomes what is the closure rate, relative altitudes, altitude gain of the missile, energy of missile at interception, etc etc. Usually I suspect that a publicly stated blanket range is somewhere near maximum range conditions against a fast-closing target, minus some margin for secrecy, plus some margin for marketing.

Agree range is a very suspect metric when it comes to air to air missiles given the many variables. The below graphic shows a good example of a typical air to air missile range based on front and rear aspect engagements combined with altitude.

Obviously Meteor changes that because it has thrust for most of the duration of flight so the above would not be representative.

tommy1808

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:09 am

Ozair wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

I don’t expect the US to acquire the Meteor for a couple of reasons including seeker history (it has the MICA seeker]

There is an alternate top notch active Ka/passive x-band seeker design that Germany had pushed for hard, but the other Meteor Nations considered a step to far and didn´t fit the development timeline. They probably didn´t want Seeker, Propulsion and Warhead being German either..... Since the German Air force considered the A4D seeker unsuitable 20 years ago, i would suspect that either German Meteor have that seeker, or that the Step Change from Aster to Meteor seeker is quite a bit bigger than from Mica to Aster to get it accepted. Which, as far as we know, no test against countermeasures could get to veer of yet either. Interestingly the Aster NT gets a Ka Band seeker...... backported perhaps?
Silent introduction wouldn´t be unheard of, the Army had Spike Missiles years before they where officially bought either.

Interestingly the A3M version of the Meteor, only difference being the seeker head, was supposed to have >250 km Range........
Its small, it is fast, it has high range, it is networked..... what isn´t Gen. 5 about the Meteor?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......