TWA772LR
Topic Author

F18s at Centennial (APA)

Fri May 03, 2019 2:12 am

I asked this in another thread and didnt get an answer so I figure I'll make my own thread.

I live across I25 from Centennial Airport, APA, in the south suburbs of Denver. Fighter jets are a pretty frequent sight (at least once a week) and it is totally awesome to ride my bike and see F16s and F18s rocket out of there. The F16s are obviously from Buckley AFB on the other side of town, but where are the F18s based? AFAIK the closest Navy base is Lemore, CA or Yuma.

These F18s are a common sight and I'd love to learn more. A friend of mine who lives in Arvada posted them on Snapchat about a month ago taking off (from what looked like) a paved runway surrounded by trees (Jeffco maybe?), so they definitely frequent the Denver area and not just APA.

Thank you in advance! :)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Moose135

Re: F18s at Centennial (APA)

Fri May 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Do they have a two letter tail code you can see? You should be able to tell where they are based from that.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Moose135 wrote:
Do they have a two letter tail code you can see? You should be able to tell where they are based from that.

They're too far by the time I see/hear them to tell.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

aumaverick

Fri May 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Could these F/A-18s or EA-18s be possible deliveries from STL en route to the west coast?
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

RetiredWeasel

Fri May 03, 2019 11:47 pm

As far as I know, fighter wings and Navy Air Squadrons still authorize cross-country flights for instrument training and moral. Buckly was a favorite spot to go due to the nightlife and good restuarants when I was still in. Others include Mesa-Gateway, just outside of PHX (formerly Williams AFB), St. Louis ANG, Navy New Orleans...etc .etc. I see F-18s frequently here at Mesa-Gateway.

Spacepope

Sat May 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Probably just stopping by. We get them frequently down at COS/Peterson AFB too.
The last of the famous international playboys

HAWKXP

Sun May 05, 2019 3:56 am

I fly out of BJC and we get a lot of military in. Don't know for sure but I think our restaurant is better than the Mess at Buckley.

RetiredWeasel

Sun May 05, 2019 4:17 pm

HAWKXP wrote:
I fly out of BJC and we get a lot of military in. Don't know for sure but I think our restaurant is better than the Mess at Buckley.

I wasn't talking about the dining facilities on the airport. The X-country flights I referenced usually had a fairly long RON (over the weekends). Per-diem was normally authorized and with Uber and Lyft now days, getting close to an active social area is not a problem. My sister (a Lyft driver) picked up two pilots who had landed at T-38 at Mesa Gateway who were on a cross-country from Whitmen AFB and took them down near Tempe where the action is. These two pilots were active B-2 pilots who flew the T-38 on the side for currency and other training.

jupiter2

Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm

I was at Mesa Gateway in late March and there were 2 Marine F-18's, 3 Navy T-45's and 2 black Air Force T-38's and what a beautiful aircraft the T-38 is up close, especially in the black colour scheme. 5 of the 7 aircraft left within 30 mins of each other late on a Friday afternoon, in some glorious afternoon light.